Mr Michael Gjedde-Nielsen > Viltoft > Copenhagen, Denmark > Lawyer Profile
1123 COPENHAGEN K
- Go to...
Mr Michael Gjedde-Nielsen
Specialist areas: Construction, public procurement and dispute resolution.
Michael Gjedde-Nielsen advises public-sector companies, public authorities and private businesses on all aspects of construction law and procurement. He has been and is involved in several major building and construction projects in Denmark. Michael assists in the planning of calls for tenders and the drafting of the legal parts of tender documents, and he participates in the negotiation and conclusion of contracts in connection with building and construction projects and other procurement activities. In addition, Michael advises construction clients and construction companies on all legal issues relating to the construction stage.
Michael has conducted a range of major arbitration proceedings before the Danish Building and Construction Arbitration Board, including the biggest case ever heard by this board. Michael also has extensive experience as a litigator before the High Court and the Supreme Court in cases relating to construction law and procurement law. Michael has been involved in some of the largest cases before the Complaints Board for Public Procurement.
In the international guide Chambers Europe, Michael is ranked at the very top under Real Estate: Construction, and in the guide for 2021, he is also recognised in the category “Senior Statespeople”.
Michael is the co-author (with Henrik Hauge Andersen et al.) of “ABR 18: General Conditions for Consulting Services”, Karnov Group, 1st edition, 2021.
Michael is also the co-author (with Hans Lykke Hansen) of “ABR 89: General Conditions for Consulting Services”, Karnov Group, 3rd edition, 2013
Michael has advised clients on:
- Calls for tenders, conclusion of contracts and construction of Stages 1-3 of the Copenhagen Metro for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 10 billions)
- Calls for tenders, conclusion of contracts and construction of the City Ring line for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 22 billions)
- Calls for tenders and conclusion of contracts for ambulance services and patient transport for four of the five Danish regional authorities (contract value: around DKK 4 billions)
- Calls for tenders for the operation and maintenance of Stages 1-3 of the Copenhagen Metro for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 2 billions)
- Calls for tenders for the Nordhavn Metro line project for Metroselskabet (contract value: around
DKK 2.2 billions)
- Calls for tenders for the Sydhavn Metro line project for Metroselskabet (contract value: around
DKK 9 billions)
- Calls for tenders for technical consultancy regarding a new university hospital in Køge for Region Zealand (total project value: around DKK 4 billions)
- Calls for tenders for architectural finishes on the City Ring project for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 0.5 billion)
- Preparation of the future Odense Light Rail for the City of Odense (contract value: around
DKK 2.6 billions)
- Contract negotiations regarding the construction of a high-rise building in the Carlsberg City District (contract value: around DKK 1,5 billion)
Michael has also assisted in a considerable number of court and arbitration proceedings, and among his most significant proceedings are:
- Arbitration proceedings regarding the final outstanding balances between Metroselskabet and Comet following the construction of Stages 1 and 2 of the Copenhagen Metro
- Arbitration proceedings regarding the final account for Stage 3 of the Copenhagen Metro
- Dispute review board case concerning the call for tenders for the City Ring linen (with Claus Berg)
- Arbitration proceedings regarding the final outstanding balances between Metroselskabet and CMT following the construction of the City Ring Project
2020 – Attorney, VILTOFT
2019 – Appointed mediator and conciliator in construction disputes by the Danish Building and
Construction Arbitration Board.
1987 Admitted to the Supreme Court
1982-2019 Partner, VILTOFT
1982 Admitted to the High Court
1980 Admitted to the Danish Bar
1976-1982 Assistant attorney and attorney, VILTOFT
Michael speaks the Scandinavian languages, English and German.
- Member of the Forum for the Future of the Council of the Danish Bar and Law Society, 2003-2005.
- Member of the working group of the Council of the Danish Bar and Law Society regarding public/private partnerships (PPP), 2005-2007.
- Member of the Danish Society for Construction and Consulting Law, the Danish Association for Procurement Law, the Danish Association of Litigation Attorneys, the Danish Arbitration Association, the Association of Municipal and Administrative Law, the Danish Society of Insurance Law Danish Mediating Lawyers and the International Bar Association (IBA).
2006 Certified mediator, The Association of Danish Law Firms
1976 Master of Laws (L.LM.), University of Copenhagen
Displaying an ‘in-depth knowledge of the construction sector’, Viltoft fields experts in the drafting and negotiation of construction contracts concerning large project developments, construction-related procurement work, and high-stakes construction disputes. Acting for a range of public institutions, construction companies, engineers, technical consultants and contractors, the group is jointly led by Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen, Henrik Hauge Andersen and Steen Hellmann. Michael Gjedde-Nielsen has substantial experience in contentious matters and Eva Olesen handles procurement mandates, while newly promoted partner Morten Ruben Brage specialises in environmental and planning issues.
Praised for its ‘very deep understanding of the building industry and contracting law’, Viltoft specialises in construction, real estate and public procurement-related disputes including complex arbitration proceedings. Jointly led by Steen Hellmann and Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen, the team regularly acts for clients in high-profile cases concerning large-scale construction, infrastructure and energy projects. Henrik Hauge Andersen frequently handles procurement mandates, while Michael Gjedde-Nielsen is noted for his track record in construction disputes. Other areas of focus include corporate, shareholder and commercial litigation and employment-related claims.