Mr Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen > Viltoft > Copenhagen, Denmark > Lawyer Profile
1123 COPENHAGEN K
- Firm Profile
- Go to...
Mr Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen
Specialist areas: Dispute resolution, construction and public procurement.
Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen advises public and private sector clients and technical consultants on all aspects of construction including infrastructure and public procurement. He assists in drafting and negotiating contracts and in designing and handling tenders for public works and other public contracts.
Dispute resolution (arbitration, litigation and mediation) is a particular area of expertise for Peter. He handles not only construction and infrastructure disputes and professional negligence disputes within technical consultancy, but also commercial, contractual and public law disputes. He is a certified arbitrator and mediator. In 2013, he sat as a Temporary Judge at the High Court of Eastern Denmark. Since 2017, he has been member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR.
Peter also advises on real estate transactions and projects, including public-private urban development projects and other PPPs. He has extensive general commercial, contracts and corporate law experience.
Peter has achieved recognition in Chambers Europe, Legal 500 and Who’s Who Legal.
Peter has recently advised clients on matters such as:
- Drafting and tendering of contracts for the lightrail project in Odense (Odense Letbane) and the Greater Copenhagen Area (Ring 3), covering civil works, transportation systems, rolling stock and maintenance and operation
- Drafting and tendering of contracts for infrastructure works in connection with the Copenhagen Metro
- Drafting and tendering of contracts for urban development PPP projects as well as establishing public-private urban development companies (NærHeden, Høje Taastrup C, etc.)
- Tender of insurance services relating to infrastructure projects
- Tender of it development contract
- Ongoing legal assistance to technical consultants (architects and engineers) and contractors on building and construction projects
He has also been involved in litigation and arbitration concerning:
- Delay and additional claims of contractors in connection with the Copenhagen Metro project
- Delay and disruption related to projects within the district heating sector
- All-risks insurance cover for construction defects in newly constructed commercial buildings and other insurance claims disputes
- Product liability in the building and construction industry
- Fees and liability of technical consultants in relation to large public construction projects such as mega-hospital projects
- Professional negligence of technical consultants, attorneys and company directors
As arbitrator Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen has been appointed in 20+ ad hoc and institutional arbitrations regarding shareholder disputes, partnership disputes, M&A, real estate and insurance disputes as well as contractual disputes in a number of areas such as building and construction, IT and energy. He has experience both as chairman, co-arbitrator, sole arbitrator, interim arbitration and as arbitrator in expedited arbitration procedures.
Peter is the co-author (with Michael Gjedde-Nielsen et al.) of ABR 18: General Conditions for Consulting Services, Karnov Group, 1st edition, 2021.
Peter is also the co-author (with Jakob Juul) of Danish Arbitration (“Voldgiftsret”), Karnov Group, 3rd edition 2017.
Admitted to the Supreme Court, 2022
Partner, VILTOFT, 2014-
Temporary Judge, the High Court of Eastern Denmark, 2013
Certified arbitrator, the Association of Danish Law Firms, 2013
Admitted to the High Court, 2012
Attorney, VILTOFT, 2010-2013
Foreign intern, Essex Court Chambers (Toby Landau QC), London, 2008
Stagiaire, ICC International Court of Arbitration, Paris, 2008
Admitted to the Danish Bar, 2007
Assistant attorney and attorney, Bruun & Hjejle, 2004-2010
Peter speaks the Scandinavian languages, English and French.
Member, ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR (since 2017)
Board member and co-founder of Young Arbitrators Copenhagen (YAC) (2013-2020, chairman 2017-2019).
Member of the working group of the Danish Institute of Arbitration concerning dispute boards in construction and other long-running contracts (2013).
Member of the working group of the Association of Danish Law Firms about forms of remuneration (2013-2014).
Volunteer advisor, Copenhagen Legal Aid (2002-2012).
Member of the Danish Society for Construction and Consulting Law, the Danish Association for Procurement Law, the Danish Arbitration Association, Young Arbitrators Stockholm (SCC) and the Young International Arbitration Group (LCIA).
Certified mediator, The Association of Danish Law Firms, 2020
LL.M., University of Cambridge, England, 2008
Master of Laws (LL.M.), University of Copenhagen, 2004
Studies at New York University School of Law, USA, 2002
Denmark > EU, competition and public procurement
Boutique firm Viltoft houses a team of ‘experts with broad knowledge‘, who dispense advice to a varied client roster of non-profit housing providers, public construction companies and utility companies. Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen leads the public procurement team alongside Eva Olesen. Thommesen has broad experience in public procurement mandates, particularly issues relating to large-scale projects. Olesen often advises public housing companies and energy companies on their participation in tenders.
Denmark > Real estate and construction(Leading individuals)
The ‘outstanding, professional, and skilled‘ group at Viltoft often represents building owners, technical consultants and contractors in disputes, and is known for its expertise in handling transport-related construction mandates. Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen and Henrik Hauge Andersen jointly lead the practice; Thommesen uses his ‘high standard of knowledge‘ to advise on PPP urban development projects and construction management work, Andersen has substantial contentious expertise, often acting for municipalities in disputes; and Hellmann assists property developers and real estate proprietors with professional negligence cases and construction projects. Morten Ruben Brage regularly advises on public procurement and real estate construction transactions, while Eva Olesen, who was promoted to the partnership in March 2022, has key knowledge of procurement contracts and disputes concerning delays and disruption to construction works. Steen Hellmann departed to Gorrissen Federspiel in 2023.
Denmark > Dispute resolution
Specialist construction and real estate boutique firm Viltoft houses a skilled team, which frequently represents public sector employers, insurance companies, contractors, and technical advisers in construction disputes involving delay and defect claims. ‘Stand-out partner’ Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen heads up the practice following Steen Hellmann‘s departure to Gorrissen Federspiel. Henrik Hauge Andersen often represents consultants in construction-related disputes, while Morten Ruben Brage regularly appears before the Commercial High Court and the Danish Building and Construction Arbitration Board on behalf of subcontractors.
- Leading individuals - Denmark > Real estate and construction
- Real estate and construction - Denmark
- Dispute resolution - Denmark
- EU, competition and public procurement - Denmark