Mr Martin Cooney > ByrneWallace LLP > Dublin, Ireland > Lawyer Profile
ByrneWallace LLP Offices
88 Harcourt Street
- Go to...
Mr Martin Cooney
Head of Construction
Martin is a partner and Head of the ByrneWallace LLP Construction Law team.
Martin advises on all aspects of construction law including both contentious and non-contentious matters. He has wide ranging experience advising on standard form contracts (including RIAI, Public Works, NEC and FIDIC) as well as negotiating and drafting bespoke contracts, professional appointments and ancillary contracts. A skilled litigator, Martin has expertise in various forms of dispute resolution having represented employers, consultants and contractors in mediations, conciliations, adjudications, expert determinations and arbitration. He is also experienced in traditional litigation having represented clients at all court levels, particularly in the Commercial Court.
Martin provides Health & Safety advice pertaining to construction and engineering projects, and has represented clients in the defence of HSA prosecutions. He is a member of the Health and Safety Lawyers Association of Ireland.
- Law Society of Ireland
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Chair of EU & International Affairs Committee, Law Society of Ireland
- Dublin Solicitors Bar Association
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
- Health and Safety Lawyers Association of Ireland
- Society of Construction Law
- DEUE, European Law, Université Toulouse 1 Capitole, 2002
- B.Corp Law (Corporate Law), NUI Galway, 2003
- LL.B (Law), NUI Galway, 2004
- M.Sc, Criminology and Criminal Justice, Oxford University, 2006
- Higher Diploma in Employment Law, University College Dublin, 2008
- Dip. Comm. Lit. (Commercial Litigation), 2009
- Qualified as a Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland, 2009
- Qualified as a Solicitor, Law Society of England and Wales, 2010
- M.Sc., Construction Law and Dispute Resolution, Kings College London, 2015
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
ByrneWallace LLP established its combined construction, infrastructure and energy practice in 2021, bringing together partners from across these practice areas into one team. This adds to the team’s capabilities in advising across the full lifecycle of projects, from initial financing through to construction and eventual transactions involving the project assets. The construction team is highly active in both contentious and non-contentious work, in sectors including housing, healthcare, data centres and commercial property. Martin Cooney leads the team and handles disputes and contract drafting, with experience across standard form and bespoke contracts. Senior associate Deirdre Hennessy is also praised by clients as ‘extremely knowledgable’.
ByrneWallace LLP advises developers on the construction of residential, industrial and commercial projects, and is also frequently instructed by public sector bodies to handle the procurement process for developments. Practice head Fergal Ruane has more than 20 years’ experience in this area and is increasingly active in Ireland’s fast-growing data centre sector. The team’s work in this space includes handling the development of the centres as well as infrastructure related to their energy usage. Elsewhere, Martin Cooney and Gavin Blake are valued by clients for their expertise in construction contracts and energy projects, respectively. Michael Walsh is another key contact, focusing on the real estate sector.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking and finance
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Insolvency and corporate restructuring
- Projects and PPP
- White-collar crime
- Capital markets
- Data privacy and data protection
- Energy and natural resources
- Information technology
- Media and entertainment
- Intellectual property