Garbhan Shanks > Fladgate LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Fladgate LLP Offices
16 GREAT QUEEN STREET
- Go to...
Partner and Head of Insurance
I have over 20 years’ experience of litigation, arbitration and mediation in commercial disputes, often with international and civil fraud elements, with a particular focus in insurance and group actions.
My job is to successfully navigate clients to the end of a dispute process as efficiently and effectively as possible.
I primarily act for policyholders in the financial services, pharmaceutical, energy, retail, manufacturing, construction, utilities and transport sectors to recover insurance indemnities properly due under construction all-risks, product liability/recall, professional indemnity, property, business interruption, D&O, employers’ liability, public liability, political / credit risk, corporate crime (1st and 3rd party) and cyber / privacy insurance policies.
I also specialise in reinsurance coverage disputes and have acted in leading cases Wasa v Lexington (concerning US pollution losses) and Aioi v Heraldglen (arising from the 9/11 World Trade Centre losses) and currently represent a captive reinsurer in a $500 million LCIA political risk coverage arbitration.
My commercial dispute practice involves both defendant work, such as miss-selling, professional negligence and breach of contract/warranty claims, and claimant work where I have established expertise in litigation funding, ATE cover and group actions.
I have acted in numerous ad hoc and institutional arbitrations, particularly those governed by the LCIA, ICC and SCC Rules, which have become an increasingly popular option for my clients, especially with enforcement to mind.
Outside of work, I have now firmly hung up my rugby boots, but still love watching rugby and currently coach junior players. I am a passionate free-diver and spear-fisherman, fly fisherman and beekeeper. When my kids allow me time off, I also get involved in various field sports!
Outside of work, I have now firmly hung up his rugby boots, but still loves watching rugby and currently coaches junior players. I am a passionate free-diver and spear-fisherman, fly fisherman and beekeeper. When my kids allow me time off, I also get involved in various field sports!
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
The ‘outstanding, unflappable‘ Garbhan Shanks leads the team at Fladgate LLP, ‘known for the clarity of his advice and robustness of approach’. The team has experience advising on Covid-19 related claims for a range of industries, from retail and leisure to care homes and construction, an area in which senior associate Naomi Hall has particular strength. Additionally, it has expertise in coverage disputes including employers’ liability, political risk, corporate crime and cyber insurance. ‘Accomplished’ senior associate Harriet Chopra has notable expertise in the pharma industry, advising US policyholders on a issues including Bermuda Form arbitrations. The firm’s construction-related policyholder offering is headed by David Weare.
Fladgate LLP‘s commercial disputes expertise ranges from contractual disputes, misrepresentation, and shareholder and partnership conflicts, to freezing injunctions, search orders, group litigation, warranty claims, and jurisdictional challenges. Tom Bolam ‘has a wealth of litigation experience‘; Mark Buckley‘s litigation practice incorporates international commercial, IP and sports disputes; John Evans is ‘one of the best commercial litigators around‘; Garbhan Shanks focuses on insurance disputes and group actions; and Alexander Wildschütz is a cross-border, commercial disputes expert. Leigh Callaway is a recently-promoted partner, and Will Thompson is the senior associate to note. Former partner Eugene Matveichuk joined Branch Austin McCormick LLP
- Leading individuals London > Insurance > Insurance litigation: for policyholders
- Insurance litigation: for policyholders London > Insurance
- Commercial litigation: mid-market London > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Art and cultural property
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: Smaller Deals, £10m-£100m
- Employment > Immigration
- Insurance > Insurance litigation: for policyholders
- Real estate > Residential property
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Gaming and betting
- Industry focus > Hospitality and leisure
- Corporate and commercial > Commercial contracts
- Real estate > Commercial property: investment
- Real estate > Construction: contentious
- Real estate > Construction: non-contentious
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets – small-mid cap
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: civil
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Infrastructure: Project finance and development
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Property finance
- Real estate > Property litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Real estate > Planning
- Employment > Employers
- Finance > Corporate restructuring & insolvency
- Private client > Art and cultural property