Grau & Angulo > Barcelona, Spain > Firm Profile
Grau & Angulo Offices
C/ JOSEP IRLA I BOSCH 5-7
- Go to...
- Firm Profile
- Main Contacts
- Lawyer Profiles
Grau & Angulo > The Legal 500 Rankings
Spain > Intellectual property: patents Tier 1Considered a ‘benchmark in the sector‘, boutique firm Grau & Angulo excels in a range of IP issues, demonstrating market-leading expertise in relation to injunction proceedings, patent infringement and counterclaims. Apart from a particular focus on pharmaceutical patents, the firm also acts for notable clients in the fashion, automotive, entertainment, telecoms, and food and beverage industries, having seen an increase in electronic and IT patent litigation in recent years. The leadership team includes the Barcelona-based Javier Huarte, one of the ‘best patent attorneys for manufacturers and marketers of generic drugs‘, Alejandro Angulo and Madrid-based partner Jesús Arribas. Recently promoted Ignacio Pontijas supports the team in Madrid, specialising in patent litigation in the life sciences space.
Other key lawyers:
Ignacio Pontijas; Laura Morales; Ignacio Marqués
‘They are very innovative from a strategic point of view, focusing and analysing each case independently.’
‘Without a doubt, they are excellent in terms of detail. Javier Huarte and Ignacio Pontijas are the best patent attorneys for manufacturers and marketers of generic drugs. Javier Huarte has the ability to make the complex easy before the judge. For his part, Ignacio Pontijas, in addition to an extraordinary legal knowledge, has an unusual technical capacity (chemical-pharmaceutical knowledge) in a lawyer’s profile, which translates into a successful strategic approach in most cases.’
‘IP Boutique with a team of lawyers versed in all areas of IP law. Experience in cross-border measures, best in Spain.’
‘Ignacio Marqués and Laura Morales are personable, hard working, persevering.’
‘The Grau & Angulo team’s in-depth knowledge of pharmaceutical patent issues makes it a benchmark in the sector.’
‘Javier Huarte has mastery of patent law and applicable novelties. Always oriented to the business of its clients. Ignacio Pontijas is a thorough and technically very strong lawyer. His seriousness and the depth with which he studies the issues makes clients more than calm knowing that our affairs are in his hands.’
‘Javier Huarte is very diligent, knowledgeable, kind, responsive, and efficient.’
‘Ignacio Marqués is notable for his clear and concise approaches, as well as his technical and legal skills.’
Two Way Media
Fin Control Systems Pty
- Successfully defended Teva against Bayer in preliminary injunction proceedings for alleged patent infringement.
- Representing TWM in patent infringement actions against global telecoms giant Telefónica Group for exploitation of its Movistar + TV service.
- Representing Xiaomi in a case which tackled the infringement of essential patents and FRAND issues related to competition law.
Spain > Intellectual property: Trade marks Tier 1Grau & Angulo remains a key player in the trade mark space, often involved in large scale complex cases and in the provision of ‘high-quality legal advice‘ to notable clients in the fashion, automotive, media and entertainment, healthcare, and food and beverage sectors. Seasoned practitioner Alejandro Angulo, who stands out for his ‘creativity and knowledge‘ in cross-border IP litigation, leads the team, with support from Maite Ferrandiz, specialised in litigation and with particular experience before the Supreme Court, and Carlota Viola, a counterfeiting and infringement expert in the fashion, luxury goods and perfume industries. Jordi Camó is another standout practitioner in IP litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Grau & Angulo team is highly prepared and qualified. They have a lot of experience and complement each other very well. They study matters thoroughly and offer high-quality legal advice. They give a lot of confidence.’
‘Alejandro Angulo stands out for his creativity and knowledge of the issues. Jesús Arribas is a detailed and meticulous lawyer. Jordi Camó has great knowledge of criminal law and is very practical.’
‘They work very well as a team internally. Maximum respect and collaboration with each other. With the client, each one has their specialties. The deadlines work very well. They convey confidence.’
‘Fantastic case study. They cover all kinds of scenarios. They study the actors. They study everything. Very professional. They convey a lot of confidence.’
‘The team has very good legal skills and commercial understanding to solve complex matters. Highly recommended team.’
Procter & Gamble
- Representing Adidas in a case before the Supreme Court involving the consumer error theory.
- Representing major perfume brands against smell-alike perfumes in continuing strategic trade mark enforcement.
- Representing Barcelona Football Club in a case which involves a breaching of the licence by the defendants who continued manufacturing of branded goods following the licence expiry.
Spain > Intellectual property: Copyright Tier 2With over 30 active practitioners spread across the country, boutique firm Grau & Angulo‘s expertise extends to a variety of matters encompassing design and copyright litigation, domain names, licensing, unfair competition and anti-counterfeiting. IP transactional expert Ignacio Marqués leads the group from Barcelona, which is often sought by clients in the automotive, entertainment, telecoms, healthcare and fashion industries. Maite Ferrandiz, a key figure in IP litigation is noted alongside Sonia Santos, active on the cross-border front for both litigation and advisory work.
Other key lawyers:
Moët & Chandon
Maisons du Monde
- Representing Maisons Du Monde against a Spanish company concerning a desk chair which infringes the former’s copyright and design.
- Representing Josep Maria Raventós I Blanc regarding a claim brought by a sculptor who alleged that a monument of an ancient oak tree on the client’s estate was plagiarism.
Grau & Angulo > Firm Profile
Grau & Angulo was founded in 2003 when leading experts in the field of intellectual property joined teams and expertise to create a boutique law firm specialising exclusively in defending their clients’ intellectual property rights.
Within this specialised area, the firm provides litigation and advice on patent, trademark, design, copyright, domain names, licensing/technological transfer, unfair competition and anti-counterfeiting matters. Insight into this field combined with the highest technical and legal expertise and a high degree of specialisation are the key to the firm’s success. This specialisation provides crucial resources enabling the firm to handle complex IP issues. Currently the largest IP litigation team in the country, Grau & Angulo deals with many of Spain’s most ground-breaking court cases and it has a strong reputation for dealing with cross-border cases.
The firm offers legal representation in all areas of intellectual property law to primarily international clients in industries such as automobile, entertainment, textile, fashion, FMCG, healthcare, high technology, pharmaceutical, sport and leisure, food and beverage, perfumery, IT/telecoms and luxury goods, for whom intellectual property is an important asset of their business.
Main areas of practice: Significant deals or case highlights over the last year:
- Most recently we have seen increased activity in the area of electronic and IT patent litigation and Standard Essential Patents litigation as well as renewable energies and logistics.
- Pharmaceutical patent litigation concerning biosimilars and generics of blockbuster drugs. The firm also advises in patent matters relating to biologic innovative products
- The firm’s well-established anti-counterfeiting team provides continuous enforcement and border control. Its effectiveness in border controls is due to its longstanding relationship with Customs authorities and police which
proves time and cost-effective for clients
- Copyright advice and litigation work for rightholders in sectors such as media and entertainment, luxury brands, telecommunications
Clients: The firm’s client portfolio ranges from small domestic firms to multinationals. More than 80% of its client base is international.
|Patents and trademarks||Alejandro Anguloemail@example.com||34 93 2023456|
|Pharmaceutical patents||Javier Huartefirstname.lastname@example.org||34 93 2023456|
|Copyright, Patents and trademarks||Ignacio Marquésemail@example.com||34 93 2023456|
LanguagesSpanish Catalan Italian French German English
MembershipsAIPPI (The International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property) INTA - International Trademark Association EPLAW ALADDA IBA (International Bar Association) ACG ECTA (European Communities Trade Mark Association) Union des Fabricants (UNIFAB) APRAM
- Intellectual property: patents
- Intellectual property: Trade marks
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Intellectual property: Copyright