Viguié Schmidt & Associés > Paris, France > Firm Profile
Viguié Schmidt & Associés Offices
146 BOULEVARD HAUSSMANN
Viguié Schmidt & Associés > The Legal 500 RankingsViguié Schmidt & Associés represents well-known corporations and investment funds in their most challenging matters. The litigation practice perfectly complements the firm’s M&A capabilities as several partners of the firm can intervene both as corporate advisers and as litigators in relation to M&A transactions. The team regularly deals with pre-litigation in the context of M&A deals and is frequently retained to act in disputes linked to high-profile public M&A transactions. Governance and shareholder conflicts are another strong field of expertise, as are high-stakes commercial disputes. Recently, the practice has been entrusted with the handling of French proceedings connected to large international disputes or exequatur cases, notably assisting with litigation proceedings linked to a prominent arbitration award which raised major compliance issues. Yves Schmidt, Olivier Loizon, Nicolas Viguié and Martin Donato head the practice.
Yves Schmidt; Olivier Loizon; Nicolas Viguié; Martin Donato
‘Great business acumen, creativity, pragmatism and availability.’
‘Yves Schmid is an excellent lawyer; very fine and intelligent.’
‘Rigour, responsiveness, strong legal competence.’
‘Olivier Loizon is available, responsive and brilliant.’
‘The team has strong legal knowledge and also has a very practical approach to analysing and presenting a case.’
‘Olivier Loizon is very talented, cutting through all of the minutiae to get to the heart of the matter. His presentation style – both written and oral – is concise and convincing. Olivier and his team are also good colleagues. Aside from being extremely capable lawyers, Olivier and his team were a pleasure to work with.’
SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT France
- Representing the board of directors of Suez SA (as well as to the ad hoc committee) in the context of the hostile takeover offer initiated by Veolia on Suez.
- Representing the State of Libya in various proceedings.
- Representing AXA in the defense of mass claims brought by companies seeking indemnification for lost profits suffered as a result of the Covid-19 sanitary crisis.
Yves Schmidt; Nicolas Viguié
‘Yves Schmidt is one of the exceptional lawyers in his field.’
‘Mobilised, available and great finesse of analysis.’
‘Yves Schmidt is a very skillful negotiator who gently makes his points heard, and skillfully convinces.’
- Assisting the board of directors of Suez SA in multiple legal proceedings initiated in the context of the hostile public takeover offer of Veolia.
- Advising the board of directors of Lagardère SCA in the context of the renewal of the corporate mandate of Mr. Arnaud Lagardère as managing director and the proceeding launched by the two main shareholders of Lagardère, Vivendi and Amber Capital, in order to get an independent representative named to call a general meeting of the shareholders.
‘The Vigiué Schmidt team in the health sector is distinguished by its search for pragmatic and innovative solutions, particularly in the context of disputes for which they are responsible.’
‘Etienne Gouesse is the leader of the contentious practice and is distinguished by an ability to identify pragmatic and consensual solutions.’
‘A serious and straightforward team with a special mention for Etienne Gouesse, a talented lawyer.’
Johnson & Johnson
- Advising Johnson & Johnson Santé Beauté France on a private damage claim filed by Carrefour against the company following a decision rendered by the FCA with respect to the home and personal care products industry.
- Assisted the shareholders of Laborizon (including Bpifrance) on (i) the sale of a majority stake to Biogroup which has now become the leader in the French medical biology sector and (ii) their reinvestment in Biogroup.
- Acted as counsel for InnovaHealth Partners on its acquisition of a controlling interest in Koelis.
‘I work with Virginie Viallard who is always very responsive and available and is systematically involved in all the files that I entrust to her, whatever their scope. The direct and constant involvement of the partner in all cases is a real plus.’
‘Virginie Viallard has a perfect command of her subjects, in particular the control of concentrations. Working with her is fluid and efficient.’
‘Very good firm in competition law, I particularly appreciate the risk analysis and the ability to acquire operational knowledge of the trade.’
Johnson & Johnson Santé Beauté France
Domino’s Pizza France
- Advised Valade in the context of the investigation led by the FCA regarding an alleged anticompetitive agreement between producers of processed fruits packaged in cups and pouches and of the appeal against the FCA’s decision.
- Advising beverage suppliers Brasserie du Pacifique and Société de distribution de Polynésie before the Paris Court of Appeal, further to a decision rendered on 22 august 2019 by the Polynesian Competition Authority, followed by an application for referral on grounds of legitimate suspicion lodged by the Wane group.
- Advising JJSBF regarding a private damage claim filed by Carrefour against this company following a decision rendered by the FCA with respect to the home and personal care products industry. On 14 April 2021, the Paris Court of appeal fully dismissed Carrefour’s damage claim (which amounted to more than EURO 10m).
‘Exceptional knowledge of the ecosystem (venture capital and development capital with tech and impact startups), remarkable mastery of legal and financial tools allowing great mastery in the structuring of deals. In-depth knowledge of market practices as well as an ability to innovate.’
‘Louis Chenard: exceptional efficiency, hyper-developed business sense combined with a remarkable technical mastery of subjects.’
‘Excellent firm with humble and efficient partners.’
‘Louis Chenard – humble, professional and very efficient.’
‘The team around Louis Chenard is united and knows how to work together very effectively. The fluidity of the work is greatly appreciated.’
‘Louis Chenard, beyond his great dexterity in legal techniques, has demonstrated a very good knowledge of business issues and fundraising practices. His negotiating skills were also decisive in getting to close under good conditions.’
‘A competent team offers ‘tailor-made’ documentation that is perfectly suited to each situation. A lot of pragmatism and pedagogy in the exchanges with the targets is very appreciable and effective.’
‘Louis Chenard gives good advice on arbitration of points to be agreed or not in a negotiation.’
Pace Capital Fund
Caisse des dépôts et consignations
Edenred Capital Partners
Danone Manifesto Ventures
IDIA (Crédit Agricole)
- Advised Headline (formerly e.ventures) on Sorare’s €40m venture capital financing.
- Advised Alstom on Easymile’s €55m venture capital financing.
- Advised Pace Capital (US Based VC Fund) on BEAM €8m venture capital financing round.
Other key lawyers:
Nicolas Viguié; Yves Schmidt
‘Impeccable responsiveness, availability, technicality, whatever the complexity of the file (listed/unlisted, international, foreign rights).’
‘Relationship of trust with Fabrice Veverka who knows how to support a corporate over time.’
Unify (TF1 Group)
Crédit Agricole / CASA
SNCF / Geodis
- Acting as sole counsel to PPF Group in connection with its acquisition, through a joint venture formed with Bénéteau Group, of a controlling stake in Dream Yacht Charter.
- Advising Alstom on several complex disposal required as a consequence of the acquisition of the rail business of Bombardier Transportation.
- Advised the board of directors of Suez S.A. on the combination with Veolia S.A.
France > Tax Tier 4Viguié Schmidt & Associés‘ Christel Alberti team shoulders a very busy caseload, advising on M&A and private equity transactions handled by the firm, including publicly listed M&A deals. The practice handles a high volume of mid-cap deals including advising funds on private equity venture deal, with a recent landmark transaction for a venture fundraising deal under its belt. Additionally, the team is increasingly solicited to assist clients with tax controls, notably in relation to M&A transactions or executives’ incentives packages. The versatile team also offers patrimonial tax expertise. Associate Maxence Dubois provides key support.
Other key lawyers:
‘A responsive, versatile, operational and technical team.’
‘Christel Alberti is a great pro, very business-oriented and operational, she challenges the rules brilliantly.’
‘A very great fluidity and simplicity in the exchanges, a great capacity to deal with all the tax aspects of a file, thus ensuring consistency day-to-day information and progress of the file. This fluidity also emerges from the excellent collaboration with the corporate and M&A department of the firm.’
‘Christel Alberti is a remarkable technician with a global vision of taxation coupled with very high-level writing skills, and exceptional capacity at managing of complex subjects. Maxence Dubois has excellent technique and a flawless availability.’
‘Christel Alberti’s team is always very available, rigorous and able to explain very complex subjects in a very concise way. The firm has a very pragmatic and solution-oriented approach, which sets it apart from its competitors.’
‘Christel Alberti is brilliant, she is able to explain very technical tax matters quickly, precisely and extremely clearly.’
Sony Music Entertainment
Unify (TF1 Group)
LPCR Groupe (Grandir)
Pace capital fund
- Advising Alstom on several complex disposals required as a consequence of the acquisition of the rail business of Bombardier Transportation.
- Advised Galeries Lafayette Group on the strategic partnership signed with Keys Asset Management.
- Advised Headline, a San-Francisco based fund, on several investments in France.
Viguié Schmidt & Associés > Firm Profile
Viguié Schmidt & Associés has been created as a result of the merger between French independent firms SLVF and Viguié Schmidt. The lawyers of the firm are active both in transactional work as well as in judicial proceedings, in connection with complex matters where stakes are high.
They are experienced professionals with a particular taste for complex negotiations and litigations. They represent their clients before judicial courts and regulatory authorities.
Advisors for strategic moments: Viguié Schmidt & Associés assists its clients on all their sensitive and complex legal issues. The firm’s lawyers are active in the main areas of business law. All of the partners are deeply involved in the matters handled by the firm; their thorough knowledge of the market, their actors and practices, adds a strategic dimension to their legal expertise.
A cornerstone of the firm’s activity, this practice encompasses notably acquisitions or mergers involving public or private companies, private equity transactions as well as joint ventures and other strategic agreements.
The firm has a first rate experience in advising on takeovers, whatever the context and sector involved. The firm also advises issuers on a full range of topics specific to listed companies as well as on stock exchange regulation.
The team also assists our clients in matters pertaining to credit and loan agreements, either for the needs of a particular transaction (acquisition or assets financing, refinancing) or in the context of their ordinary course activities.
The firm regularly advises its clients on share capital increases as well as on the issuance of complex securities. It also has a strong expertise in advising its clients on corporate governance matters.
The team also advise corporate officers, shareholders and creditors in the negotiation of restructuring schemes, both amicably (“conciliation”, “mandat ad hoc”) or in the context of insolvency proceedings.
The firm handles a full spectrum of matters from large and complex disputes as well as high profile litigations to significant routine issues for our clients. It has extensive experience in corporate, commercial and securities litigation, notably in shareholders’ actions and M&A-related litigation. The team also acts in commercial and investment treaty arbitrations under a variety of arbitral rules as well as ad hoc arbitrations.
The team advises and represents our clients in connection with stock market litigations and market abuses, controls of regulated entities, in particular before jurisdictions, the Autorité des marchés financiers (French Stock Markets Authority) and competent courts of appeals.
The firm represents clients to secure merger control approval by the French Competition Authority and the European Commission, or to object to a proposed transaction.
The team also assists our clients to ensure compliance of their business practices with antitrust law (cartel and abuse of dominant position) and represent them before the competition authorities and courts.
More generally, the team advises our clients on all questions or project of interest from a competition law perspective, or that may imply restrictive practices.
The firm advises clients on all the tax aspects of their transactions, in particular in the areas of mergers & acquisitions, LBOs (including management packages) and corporate reorganizations.
It offers general advice and expertise on any aspects of company and individual taxation.
The team also provides assistance in tax audit and litigation.
Tort and Healthcare Products Law
The team advises public and private companies on tort law matters, and assists them in determining a strategy aimed at avoiding possible litigations. We also represent them before civil, administrative and commercial courts.
Our team is active in health products law, helping our clients in understanding applicable regulations and assisting them in the management of litigations and of administrative decisions affecting their activities or products.
|Corporate M&A||François Bourrier-Soiffer|
|Corporate M&A||Louis Chenard|
|Corporate M&A||David Scemla|
|Corporate M&A||Yves Schmidt|
|Corporate M&A||Fabrice Veverka|
|Corporate M&A||Nicolas Viguié|
|Dispute Resolution||Martin Donato|
|Dispute Resolution||Etienne Gouesse|
|Dispute Resolution||Olivier Loizon|
|Dispute Resolution||Yves Schmidt|
|Dispute Resolution||Nicolas Viguié|
|Competition Law||Iñaki Saint-Esteben|
|Competition Law||Virginie Viallard|
|Tort and Healthcare Products Law||Etienne Gouesse|
|Tort and Healthcare Products Law||Iñaki Saint-Esteben|