Mr Bas van Zelst > Van Doorne > Amsterdam, Netherlands > Lawyer Profile
Van Doorne Offices
1081 KM AMSTERDAM
PO BOX 75265, 1070 AG AMSTERDAM
- Go to...
Mr Bas van Zelst
Dispute Resolution: Arbitration, Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Competition Litigation, Corporate Litigation
Bas van Zelst is a partner in Van Doorne’s arbitration practice. Bas has extensive experience in conducting and advising on national and international commercial arbitration and related proceedings before the regular courts. He has particular expertise in advising on, and conducting proceedings relating to, distribution agreements and a particular interest in (cross-border) seizure and enforcement proceedings. In the past, Bas was involved in (advising on) arbitration procedures under the ICC, NAI, LCIA, UNCITRAL and DIS arbitration rules.
Further to his arbitration practice, Bas holds the Chair of Dispute Resolution & Arbitration at Maastricht University. His research focuses on cross-border conflict resolution with particular emphasis on arbitration.
Bas earned his doctorate with a dissertation on the establishment of European private law (Amsterdam, 2008). In 2006 and 2007, he was a guest at Harvard Law School as a visiting researcher. In 2017, Bas was a visiting professor at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. Bas is a member of the editorial board of Het Tijdschrift voor Arbitrage [The Dutch Journal of Arbitration Law].
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
Van Doorne‘s arbitration team was strengthened by the recent arrival of associate Fleur Potter and the ‘sharp and pragmatic‘ Rogier Schellaars from Simmons & Simmons; the latter is now jointly heading the practice with Bas van Zelst. Schellaars and van Zelst have considerable experience arbitrating before both the ICC and NAI, making them ‘a very strong team to handle international arbitration cases‘. In recent work, the group represented Caratube International Oil in highly contentious enforcement proceedings regarding an ICSID Award against the Republic of Kazakhstan and the National Bank of Kazakhstan. Jasper Leedekerken is another key contact.
Van Doorne‘s mediation practice brings together experts from across the firm, representing clients in a range of cases relating to liability, business and shareholder disputes, employment, and technology. The practice is led by Bas van Zelst, a highly respected practitioner who has published extensively on mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution.
- Dispute resolution: Mediation - Netherlands
- Next Generation Partners - Netherlands > Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: arbitration - Netherlands
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Data privacy and data protection
- Dispute resolution: Mediation
- Fraud and white-collar crime
- Industry focus: Food
- Industry focus: Information technology
- Industry focus: Media and entertainment
- Industry focus: retail
- Dispute resolution: Commercial litigation
- Environment and planning
- Industry focus: healthcare and life sciences
- Project finance and PFI
- Real estate
- Banking and finance: Borrower side
- Banking and finance: Financial services regulatory
- Banking and finance: lender or arranger side
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- EU and competition
- Private equity
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Commercial, corporate and M&a
- Intellectual property: trade marks, copyrights and design rights