Mr Bas van Zelst > Van Doorne > Amsterdam, Netherlands > Lawyer Profile
Van Doorne Offices
1081 KM AMSTERDAM
PO BOX 75265, 1070 AG AMSTERDAM
- Go to...
Mr Bas van Zelst
Dispute Resolution: Arbitration, Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Competition Litigation, Corporate Litigation
Bas van Zelst is a partner in Van Doorne’s arbitration practice. Bas has extensive experience in conducting and advising on national and international commercial arbitration and related proceedings before the regular courts. He has particular expertise in advising on, and conducting proceedings relating to, distribution agreements and a particular interest in (cross-border) seizure and enforcement proceedings. In the past, Bas was involved in (advising on) arbitration procedures under the ICC, NAI, LCIA, UNCITRAL and DIS arbitration rules.
Further to his arbitration practice, Bas holds the Chair of Dispute Resolution & Arbitration at Maastricht University. His research focuses on cross-border conflict resolution with particular emphasis on arbitration.
Bas earned his doctorate with a dissertation on the establishment of European private law (Amsterdam, 2008). In 2006 and 2007, he was a guest at Harvard Law School as a visiting researcher. In 2017, Bas was a visiting professor at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. Bas is a member of the editorial board of Het Tijdschrift voor Arbitrage [The Dutch Journal of Arbitration Law].
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
Van Doorne provides ‘top-notch arbitration expertise’, the practice going from strength to strength following last year’s arrival of widely-respected Rogier Schellaars and his team. Schellaars is noted for his ‘down-to-earth manner’ in explaining complex issues, and leads the team alongside ‘highly-skilled‘ Bas van Zelst. Together, they are ‘well-connected in the arbitration community’. The team has secured multiple high-value awards on behalf of clients in international and domestic arbitration.
Alternative dispute resolution is a strength at Van Doorne, particularly in respect of arbitration and mediation. Bas van Zelst is buiding a leading reputation in ADR both academically and in legal practice, and steers a multidisciplinary team across a varied caseload of domestic and international business disputes. These include liability claims, corporate and commercial contracts disputes and employment matters, to name a few.
- Dispute resolution: Mediation - Netherlands
- Next Generation Partners - Netherlands > Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: arbitration - Netherlands
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Data privacy and data protection
- Dispute resolution: Mediation
- Fraud and white-collar crime
- Industry focus: Food
- Industry focus: Information technology
- Industry focus: retail
- Banking and finance: lender or arranger side
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: Commercial litigation
- Industry focus: healthcare and life sciences
- Industry focus: Media and entertainment
- Project finance and PFI
- Real estate
- Banking and finance: Borrower side
- Banking and finance: Financial services regulatory
- Commercial, corporate and M&a
- Environment and planning
- EU and competition
- Private equity
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Energy: transactional
- Intellectual property: trade marks, copyrights and design rights