Mr Bas van Zelst > Van Doorne > Amsterdam, Netherlands > Lawyer Profile
Van Doorne Offices
1081 KM AMSTERDAM
PO BOX 75265, 1070 AG AMSTERDAM
- Go to...
Mr Bas van Zelst
Dispute Resolution: Arbitration and arbitration-related court litigation
Bas van Zelst is a partner in Van Doorne’s arbitration practice. Bas has extensive experience in conducting and advising on national and international commercial arbitration and related proceedings before the regular courts. He has particular expertise in advising on, and conducting proceedings relating to, distribution agreements and a particular interest in (cross-border) seizure and enforcement proceedings. In the past, Bas was involved in (advising on) arbitration procedures under the ICC, NAI, LCIA, UNCITRAL and DIS arbitration rules.
Further to his arbitration practice, Bas holds the Chair of Dispute Resolution & Arbitration at Maastricht University. His research focuses on cross-border conflict resolution with particular emphasis on arbitration.
Bas earned his doctorate with a dissertation on the establishment of European private law (Amsterdam, 2008). In 2006 and 2007, he was a guest at Harvard Law School as a visiting researcher. In 2017, Bas was a visiting professor at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. Bas is a member of the editorial board of Tijdschrift voor Arbitrage [The Dutch Journal of Arbitration Law] and Corporate Mediation Journal.
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
The arbitration practice at Van Doorne is ‘fully international in work and knowledge, and also culturally sensitive’. The team is headed by Rogier Schellaars and Bas van Zelst; Schellaars is recommended for post-M&A disputes, joint venture and finance issues, and has previously acted for and against states; while van Zelst has considerable experience in investment arbitration.
Van Doorne draws on strength from its corporate, employment, TMT and insurance groups to advise on a range of mediations, including those with international aspects. Recently the firm has seen an uptick in instructions from healthcare and life sciences clients, and it often handles disputes around commercial contracts, technology, employment and shareholder matters. Bas van Zelst leads the team and has considerable experience in alternative dispute resolution; he is also a professor of dispute resolution and arbitration at Maastricht University. Steven Sterk made partner.
- Dispute resolution: Mediation - Netherlands
- Next Generation Partners - Netherlands > Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: arbitration - Netherlands
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Data privacy and data protection
- Dispute resolution: Mediation
- Fraud and white-collar crime
- Industry focus: Food
- Industry focus: Information technology
- Industry focus: retail
- Investment funds
- Banking and finance: lender or arranger side
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: Commercial litigation
- Industry focus: healthcare and life sciences
- Industry focus: Media and entertainment
- Project finance and PFI
- Real estate
- Banking and finance: Borrower side
- Banking and finance: Financial services regulatory
- Commercial, corporate and M&a
- Energy: regulatory
- Energy: transactional
- EU and competition
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Intellectual property: trade marks, copyrights and design rights
- Private equity