Sungmei Hsiung > DTT Attorneys-At-Law > Taipei, Taiwan > Lawyer Profile
DTT Attorneys-At-Law Offices
21F, Taipei Nan Shan Plaza
No. 100, Songren Rd.
Xinyi Dist., Taipei
- Go to...
Law & Tech Innovation
Sungmei Hsiung joins Taiwan Deloitte Legal to Start a New Era for the Law and Tech Innovation Service Line.
Dr. Sungmei Hsiung, a former experienced high court judge at the Taiwan Intellectual Property Court, joined Deloitte Legal as Director and the leader of Law & Tech Innovation Service on December 23, 2019.
Before being appointed to the Taiwan Intellectual Property Court, Dr. Hsiung was a judge at the Taiwan Taipei District Court for 15 years. While being a district court judge, she was appointed to the Judicial Yuan, the highest judicial branch in Taiwan, for two years as a research judge for judicial policy-making, including the establishment of the Taiwan Intellectual Property Court. Also, she was selected by the Judicial Yuan to study abroad and chose to pursue her advanced law degrees in Berkeley Law for its prominence in IP field. She is a frequent speaker at various international conferences and actively publishes articles, book chapters and journal comments. She is the author of “The Manual for Judges to Deal with Patent Infringement Civil Litigation Cases (2002)”, “The Evaluation Study on the Establishment of the Intellectual Property Court (2004), “When Public Law Meets Private Law Ⅰ—Taiwan Intellectual Property Litigation System Then and Now (2011)”, “When Public Law Meets Private LawⅡ— Intellectual Property on Cloud Computing (2018)”, and “When Public Law Meets Private LawⅢ— Intellectual Property on Law & Tech Innovation”.
As a high court judge at the Taiwan Intellectual Property Court for more than 10 years, Dr. Hsiung has presided a wide range of IP related issues, especially in patent, trade mark, copyright and trade secrets for more than thousands cases. She is the most well-known patent judge in Taiwan. In addition to her adjudication work, her interest is in the comparison of IP systems. She was a visiting judge at USPTO & CAFC for two months in 2014. For the recent 10 years, as a frequent lecturer on IP at universities or judiciaries in the mainland china, she is an expert of Chinese IP law. Dr. Hsiung holds LL.B. & Master of Laws from National Taiwan University and LL.M. & J.S.D. from UC Berkeley School of Law.
Upon joining Deloitte Legal, Dr. Hsiung will take on her role as the leader of Law & Tech Innovation Service Line whose services will include:
- Development of the outline, authorization, litigation or arbitration of transnational intellectual property;
- Development of intellectual property governance, LMC, etc. for the financial and technology industries;
- Establishment of standards and processes, protection, claim and litigation services of trade secrets;
- Promotion of the business of complex and multinational trademark and patent registration applications;
- Participation in the promulgation of the IP Annual Report for public-listed and OTC-listed companies into law being initiated by the FSC;
- Participating in the development of a comprehensive intellectual property and commercial litigation system in Taiwan and actively drive the amendments of the related regulations of the Commercial Case Adjudication Law and Intellectual Property Court and Commercial Court Organization Act;
- Provision of professional legal consultation services.
Dr. Hsiung is a respected authority in the field of intellectual property and her joining the firm will surely add prestige and renewed vitality to Taiwan Deloitte Legal practice. We strongly believe she will generate a tremendous impact not only to our firm, but also to enterprises as well as the society in general. Let us all welcome her and give her our full support!
- LL.B. & Master of Laws from National Taiwan University
- LL.M. & J.S.D. from UC Berkeley School of Law
DTT Attorneys-At-Law handles a number of cross-border transactions for a diverse array of regional corporations. Robin Lin focuses on administrative litigation and tax controversy issues, while Ingrid Chen concentrates on M&A and capital markets transactions. Sungmei Hsiung is recommended for her broad IP capabilities, most notably in patent, trade mark, copyright and trade secrets.