Mr Erik Valgaeren > Stibbe > Brussels, Belgium > Lawyer Profile
LOKSUMSTRAAT 25/ RUE DE LOXUM 25
- Go to...
Mr Erik Valgaeren
TMT (Technology Media Telecommunications); Compliance and Sanctions, Data Protection, Information Technology, Intellectual Property,
Erik Valgaeren developed the TMT practice within Stibbe. Together with his team, he specialises in IT, internet, e-commerce, e-communications law, privacy, digitization, new technologies as well as all intellectual property aspects of the aforementioned specialisations. Erik also has a thorough knowledge of the technical aspects relating to communication.
Erik advises on legislation and regulations. He also drafts contracts and handles projects concerning web services, outsourcing, cloud services, system integration, software implementation, data management and privacy, artificial intelligence and innovation partnerships. In the field of communications law, Erik advises both traditional telecom operators and suppliers of infrastructure services and new media and social network services. Erik litigates before courts and arbitral tribunals. He has extensive experience in arbitration and is regularly involved as an arbitrator for Cepina. On 4 May 2020, Erik was appointed by the Council of the Dutch Brussels Bar as a third-party ruler under the “Binding third-party ruling” regulations.
Dutch, French, English, German, Spanish
- Member of the editorial staff (2009–present) and chief editor (2015–2020) of Computerrecht, the Belgian-Dutch law journal of Kluwer on ICT law
- Member of the Technology Committee of the International Bar Association (2005–present), Secretary and Treasurer (2009–2010), Vice-Chair (2011), Co-Chair (2012–2013), Chair of the LPD Task Force on government access to IT systems (2017–2019 )
- Member of Beltug, the Belgian Association of Digital Technology Leaders
- Graduated in Law, magna cum laude, from the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (1990)
- Master of Laws (LL.M.) from the University of Chicago Law School, United States (1991)
- Associate in the Washington D.C. and Brussels offices of an international law firm; advised foreign companies on US trade sanctions law; member of international trade group (1991–1992)
- Admitted to the New York Bar in 1992; admitted to the Brussels Bar in 1993; admitted to the Luxembourg bar in 2018
- With the Brussels office of Stibbe since 1993 (Partner since 2001)
- Education in Computer Management from the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (2000)
- Visiting professor ICT law at Solvay Brussels School (2015–2020)
- Visiting professor internet law at the Faculty of Law of the University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg (2016–2020)
- Guest lecturer in blockchain and smart contracts at the Faculty of Law of the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (2018–2020)
- Postgraduate degree in Data Analytics from the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (2020)
- Director of the OVB (Order of the Flemish Bars) authorized for digitalization and GDPR
Stibbe advises financial services clients on digital platform and regulatory considerations, with expertise in projects relating to outsourcing, cloud computing, and AI, alongside innovative work in the crypto space on non-fungible tokens. The firm’s regulatory expertise includes MiFID and PSDII issues, data protection, and ICOs. The practice is headed up by Erik Valgaeren, who is focused on IT projects and platforms for the financial services sector. Jan Peeters specialises in financial services regulatory issues.
Stibbe‘s cross-disciplinary media practice is regularly sought out by some of the largest companies in the media, entertainment, gaming, and sports industries, both domestically and internationally. Led by experienced TMT partner Erik Valgaeren, the team handles a broad range of technology, regulatory, and IP matters, and has recent contentious experience before the Court of Appeal and the EU Court of Justice. Elizabeth Matthys anchors the firm’s sports law offering, advising various federations and handling litigation regarding transfer rules, discrimination, match fixing, and anti-doping. Ignace Vernimme is noted for his expertise in patents, designs, and trademarks.
Stibbe has handled a growing number of projects in cloud computing, big data, AI and 5G usage rights for a litany of leading Belgian and multinational clients. The team has an especially strong public sector offering, working closely with the firm’s public procurement desk on a range of contract and outsourcing issues for both domestic and foreign governmental bodies. Widely praised by clients for his ‘impressive‘ technical expertise in IT and data protection, practice head Erik Valgaeren handles an array of high-value work for clients in the internet, e-commerce and electronic communications sectors, including disputes before the Belgian courts and arbitral tribunals. Carolien Michielsen and Sarah De Wulf are also noted.
- Hall of Fame - Belgium > Industry focus: IT and telecoms
- Industry focus: IT and telecoms - Belgium
- Industry focus: Media and entertainment - Belgium
- Fintech - Belgium
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Competition: Belgian law
- Dispute resolution
- Fraud and white-collar crime
- Industry focus: Food
- Industry focus: IT and telecoms
- Industry focus: Media and entertainment
- Intellectual property
- Real estate and construction