Mr Wim Panis > Stibbe > Brussels, Belgium > Lawyer Profile
LOKSUMSTRAAT 25/ RUE DE LOXUM 25
- Go to...
Mr Wim Panis
Wim Panis heads the Stibbe Brussels’ tax team. He specialises in Belgian and international tax law, including corporate tax, legal entities tax, and indirect tax.
Wim has particular expertise in indirect taxation (VAT, registration duties, etc.), real estate taxation, the tax status of real estate investment funds (REITs, etc.), taxability of public authorities, and public-private partnerships (PPPs). Wim’s experience also encompasses sector-specific tax issues, including taxation in the e-commerce industry, tax shelter regimes for the audio-visual sector, and specific taxes applicable in the energy and utilities sector.
Dutch, French, English
- Board member of the Belgian branch of the International Fiscal Association (2019–present)
- Born in 1979
- Graduated in Law from the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (2002)
- Admitted to the Brussels Bar in 2002
- With the Brussels office of Stibbe since 2002 (Partner since 2012)
- Graduated in Tax Law from the Solvay Brussels School of Economics and Management (2004)
- Recipient of the prestigious biennial IFA reward for his article on tax avoidance in VAT matters (“Misbruik en BTW – De strijd tegen normconform maar abnormaal handelen”) (2008)
- Editor-in-chief of the leading tax review journal Tijdschrift voor Fiscaal Recht (2008–present)
Stibbe‘s Belgium-based tax team is integrated into a wider Benelux group, making the firm well placed to assist clients with a full range of domestic and cross-border tax matters. Team head Wim Panis is an expert in VAT and public sector taxation. In addition, his real estate sector expertise covers both direct and indirect taxes, and he has particular knowledge of Belgian REITs and real estate investment funds. Thierry Denayer has specialist expertise in domestic and cross-border compensation benefits for executives and pension schemes. Also notable is that the firm’s tax litigation capabilities were strengthened by the arrivals of Henk Verstraete and three other practitioners from Liedekerke Wolters Waelbroeck Kirkpatrick in 2018. The group is also highly active in headline M&A/private equity, capital markets and finance transactions, as well as PPP projects. In one matter, Verstraete and recently promoted counsel Giovanni Smet assisted Spirit Aerosystems with its $650m acquisition of Asco Industries. Transfer pricing matters are another key workstream for the group, which also includes senior associate Lizelotte De Maeyer.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution
- Fraud and white-collar crime
- Industry focus: Food
- Industry focus: IT and telecoms
- Industry focus: Retail
- Intellectual property
- Real estate and construction
- Banking, finance and capital markets
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Competition: Belgian law
- Industry focus: Energy
- Industry focus: Healthcare and life sciences
- Industry focus: Media and entertainment
- Insolvency and restructuring
- Private equity
- Industry focus: Transport