Mr Michael Schweiger > Loyens & Loeff > Luxembourg, Luxembourg > Lawyer Profile
Loyens & Loeff Offices
18-20 RUE EDWARD STEICHEN
- Go to...
Mr Michael Schweiger
Banking & Finance / Regulatory
Michael Schweiger, local partner, is a member of the Banking & Finance practice group in our Luxembourg office. He leads the Luxembourg financial regulatory team and regularly advises banks, e-money and payment institutions, insurers, and other clients regarding financial regulation.
Michael has extensive experience implementing large-scale projects and provides general advice regarding banking, regulatory, and corporate governance matters. He provides clients with practical advice, ensuring regulatory compliance and an appropriate risk-reward balance.
Previously, Michael served as a member of the Executive Committee and Member of Authorized Management of a major international bank in Luxembourg which is a significant supervised entity with direct accountability to the European Central Bank and the Luxembourg CSSF and is one of the country’s largest employers.
He held multiple executive roles and most recently led a European legal team supporting operations throughout Continental Europe and the Channel Islands. Prior to relocating to Luxembourg, he practised corporate, commercial and insolvency law in Canada.
English, German, French
- Luxembourg Bar (List IV), 2019
- Solicitor of England & Wales, 2019
- Canadian Bar, Nova Scotia, 2005
- Association of Luxembourg Banks (ABBL): Legal Affairs Committee, Professional Obligations Committee, Distributed Ledger Technology Working Group and Law Firms Cluster
- American Chamber of Commerce in Luxembourg (AMCHAM)
- Luxembourg Directors’ Association (ILA), Luxembourg: Vice-Chair of the Banking Committee and founding organiser of the Annual Forum for Directors of Luxembourg Banks
- Association Luxembourgeoise des Juristes Bancaires (ALJB)
- LL.B., Queen’s University – Kingston, Canada, 2004
- B.A. (Honours), University of Western Ontario – London, Canada, 2001