Mr Ioannis Kaptanis > Koutalidis Law Firm > Athens, Greece > Lawyer Profile
Koutalidis Law Firm Offices
The Orbit, 115 Kifissias Ave.
Athens 115 24
- Go to...
Mr Ioannis Kaptanis
Banking, Finance & Restructuring
Arbitration, Litigation & Mediation
Public Procurement, Privatisations, Concessions & Public Private Partnerships
Ioannis focuses on concession projects, project finance transactions, commercial arbitration and litigation, as well as contract negotiation. He regularly advises concessionaires and constructors on every aspect of concession and construction projects. Moreover, he advises banks and corporations on financing transactions, particularly asset backed lending transactions, derivatives and repo agreements. He is the Head of the Project Finance Department of our Firm and Co-Head of the Projects and Privatisation and Real Estate Departments of our Firm.
Ioannis is ranked as a Leading Individual in the practice area of Projects and Privatisation in Greece and as a Next Generation Partner in the practice areas of Banking, Finance & Capital Markets and of Dispute Resolution in Greece by The Legal 500 EMEA 2020. He is also ranked as Rising Star Partner by the IFLR1000.
Testimonials in The Legal 500 describe him as “very knowledgeable in the entire spectrum of Private Law, very methodical, tireless and an excellent negotiator.”
Recent work includes:
- Advising NN Group on the acquisition of MetLife’s business in Greece,
- Advising GMR Airports Limited and its Greek subsidiary on the EUR 60,5 million financing by National Bank of Greece S.A. in the context of the New Kastelli (Heraklion) International Airport concession project,
- Advising DESFA on its €505 million common bond load, arranged by the four systemic banks, i.e. Alpha Bank S.A., Eurobank S.A., National Bank of Greece S.A., and Piraeus Bank S.A. where Eurobank S.A. acted as bondholder agent and administrative agent,
- Advising Alpha Bank on its Euro 500M Senior Preferred bond issuance which has a 6.5-year maturity and is callable in year 5.5 with a coupon of 2.5% and a yield of 2.625%. The bond is listed on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange – EuroMTF Market,
- Advising the sponsor, Aktor Concessions S.A., and the concessionaire on the concession of the exclusive right to own, use, administer, operate and exploit the Marina of Alimos for a 40-year period for a total consideration of EURO 57.5 million,
- Advising Piraeus Bank S.A., National Bank of Greece S.A., Alpha Bank S.A. and Eurobank S.A. on (i) an up to €665.6mio bond loan in connection with the 20-year extension of the Airport Development Agreement dated 31 July 1995, (ii) an up to €100mio bond loan, for the financing of capital expenditure projects (iii) an up to €140mio bond loan for the financing of working capital and operational needs,
- Advising GMR Group Limited with respect to the concession of the planned new international airport in Heraklion, Crete,
- Advising Alpha Bank on the demerger by way of hive-down of its banking sector,
- Advising Alpha Bank on matters of Greek Law on the successful issuance of a landmark Euro 500 million Tier 2 subordinated bond,
- Advising the preferred bidder (Fraport-Copelouzos consortium) with respect to the tender process for the awarded concession of the management, operation and maintenance of 14 regional airports,
- Advising Fraport and Copelouzos in relation to the sale and transfer of a 10% participation stake in the Fraport Greece entities by Slentel to Marguerite Fund,
- Advising an international consortium in relation to the tender for the privatization of Egnatia Odos Motorway,
- Advising Sponsors on Maliakos-Kleidi Project Finance,
- Advising a major Greek Bank as hedging bank in the context of Mall development projects, energy projects and PPPs in Greece and abroad,
- Advising and representing before arbitral tribunals and Greek Courts the Concessionaire of a Toll Road €1bn Concession (from the bidding stage until today),
- Representing a French energy company in an ICC Arbitration against a major Greek company with respect to contract price escalation.
- IFLR1000 – Project Development (Greece), Rising Star Partner, 31st Edition
- Legal 500 EMEA – Projects and Privatisation (Greece), Leading Individual, 2021, 2022
- Legal 500 EMEA – Banking, Finance and Capital Markets (Greece), Next Generation Partner, 2021, 2022
- Legal 500 EMEA – Dispute Resolution (Greece), Next Generation Partner, 2021, 2022
Greek, English, French and German.
Member of the Athens Bar Association. Qualified to appear before all Courts of all degrees, including the Supreme Courts.
University of Athens (LL.M. in Civil Law, 2006 summa cum laude)
University of Athens, School of Law (LL.B., 2003 summa cum laude)
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals) (Next Generation Partners)
Koutalidis Law Firm has ‘a very experienced team with great availability‘, which handles a wide range of complex transactions in the financial sphere, including leveraged buyouts, NPL portfolio sales and securitisations. The team is particularly active in project finance, advising on project structuring, project and financial documentation, security packages, due diligence and related licensing matters. The firm also stands out for its capital markets practice, which has participated in pioneering transactions including the latest recapitalisation of Greek banks. Other areas of expertise include IPOs, rights offerings and tender offers involving listed, private and state-controlled entities. Managing partner Nikos Koritsas co-heads the practice with Katia Protopapa. Project finance specialist Ioannis Kaptanis and Effie Papoutsi, who focuses on corporate finance, are also noted.
Koutalidis Law Firm has a reputable practice that places an emphasis on employment law compliance. Its expertise extends to both national and EU legislation, which aids its advice to both individuals and businesses. Evans Courakis has over 13 years’ experience and advises on collective redundancies, internal investigations and employment contracts. Ioannis Kaptanis has over 15 years’ experience advising on complex employee mobility matters. They both head the practice.
- Banking, finance and capital markets - Greece
- Leading individuals - Greece > Projects and privatisation
- Next Generation Partners - Greece > Dispute resolution
- Next Generation Partners - Greece > Banking, finance and capital markets
- Employment - Greece
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking, finance and capital markets
- Dispute resolution
- Projects and privatisation
- Restructuring and insolvency