Dominique Blommaert > Janson > Brussels, Belgium > Lawyer Profile
CHAUSSÉE DE LA HULPE 187
- Go to...
Dominique Blommaert joined Janson in 1994 and has been partner at Janson since 1998.
He has a strong track record in litigation. He gained extensive experience in the handling of disputes in banking and finance and has represented various financial institutions. He also has extensive experience in corporate litigation (including insolvency). Dominique also acts in arbitration proceedings (as a lawyer or arbitrator).
- Three of the four leading Belgian banks belong to its clients, as a significant number of Belgian credit institutions
- Advisor to several international banks or financial conglomerates in their banking and credit activities in Belgium
- Counsel to ex-CEO of Fortis at the moment of the collapse of Fortis. Successful procedure against the financial regulatory authority. Several procedures against ex Fortis shareholders still pending
- Representing Belfius Bank in its defense against a class action of Arco shareholders
- Counsel to the target companies in a part of a larger procedure between Perrigo Holding and the former shareholders of the target company
- Successful intervention on behalf of a mortgage credit company in its issuing of “investment mortgage” financial instruments (the Spaarselect class action). Products were offered to the investors together with insurance products
- 01/1998 – …: Partner – Janson
- 10/2020 – …: Lecturer in Banking and Finance , University of Ghent
- 08/1994 – 12/1997: Attorney-at-law (Associate) – Janson
- 1990: Attorney-at-law – Frère Cholmely Bisschof (now Eversheds)
- 1988 – 1994: Attorney-at-law and associate at the University of Ghent
- Scientific Member of the Financial Law Institute, Faculty of Law, University of Ghent
- Member of committee of directors of DA/OR and RAGB
- Member of committee of directors of Traité pratique de droit commercial en Wet and Duiding – Economisch Recht – Bank en Zekerheden
- Former Member of the Dutch-speaking Brussels Bar Council (2003 – 2006)
- 1987 – 1989: Special lic. in Economic law, Université Libre de Bruxelles
- 1983 – 1988: Law degree, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
- 1981 – 1987: Lic. Modern History, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
At Janson, financial litigation, white-collar crime cases, arbitration matters and corporate disputes were prominent in the team’s recent workload. Dominique Blommaert is ‘an excellent and experienced litigator‘; he co-heads the department with Cédric Alter, who is very experienced in arbitration, and white-collar crime expert Céline Masschelein.
Janson assists distressed enterprises, their managers and shareholders in all potential crisis situations, ranging from preventative judicial reorganisations to bankruptcy petition filing and voluntary liquidations. Cédric Alter, recognised by clients as ‘a very good insolvency professional‘, often acts as a court-appointed trustee in various proceedings. He co-heads the practice alongside litigation specialist Dominique Blommaert, who divides his time between the Brussels and Ghent offices, and Emmanuelle Bouillon. The team also has experience in negotiating out-of-court settlements where necessary.