Thijs van Aerde > Houthoff > Amsterdam, Netherlands > Lawyer Profile
GUSTAV MAHLERPLEIN 50
1082 MA AMSTERDAM
- Go to...
Thijs van Aerde
Thijs specialises in Supreme Court litigation, as well as representing clients before the European Court of Justice and the lower Dutch courts. Since Thijs joined Houthoff in 2006, he has litigated more than 100 cases before the Dutch Supreme Court and many cases before the lower Dutch courts. Thijs focuses on issues related to intellectual property law, contract law, tort law, and procedural law matters.
Houthoff‘s team brings its ‘business-minded focus and practicality‘ to both M&A in the media sector and media-related litigation. Practice head Thomas de Weerd is ‘a very pleasant person to work with‘ and ‘thinks about the business values and goals‘. He has particular experience advising on cases concerning the crossover between media and technology, and assists clients including Royal Theatre Carré with data protection and GDPR implementation. Counsel Thijs van Aerde frequently represents clients before the Supreme Court, as well as Dutch lower courts and regulating bodies, including the Advertising Code Committee.
Houthoff has extensive IP litigation experience and advises on the IP aspects in M&A transactions. The firm has a significant automotive sector practice and regularly advises leading car companies including Ford, Kia, and Renault. Key individuals in the team include practice head Thomas de Weerd and Thijs van Aerde. Aerde is acting for the European Pallet Association in Supreme Court trade mark litigation against PHZ.
Houthoff frequently handles high-profile cases for leading industry names, including representing Fresenius Kabi in Supreme Court patent proceedings against Eli Lilly concerning the client’s pemetrexed product. Thijs van Aerde advised Fresenius Kabi on this matter and clients praise Aerde’s expertise in Supreme Court litigation. Fleur Tuinzing-Westerhuis is also noted for her patent litigation knowledge and ‘eye for detail‘. Thomas de Weerd leads the practice.
- Leading individuals - Netherlands > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyrights and design rights
- Industry focus: Media and entertainment - Netherlands
- Intellectual property: trade marks, copyrights and design rights - Netherlands
- Intellectual property: Patents - Netherlands
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Capital markets: equity
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: Commercial litigation
- Energy: transactional
- Environment and planning
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Industry focus: healthcare and life sciences
- Industry focus: Information technology
- Investment funds
- Real estate
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Banking and finance: asset finance and structured finance
- Banking and finance: Borrower side
- Banking and finance: lender or arranger side
- Capital markets: debt
- Commercial, corporate and M&a
- Energy: regulatory
- EU and competition
- Fraud and white-collar crime
- Industry focus: Media and entertainment
- Industry focus: telecoms
- Intellectual property: trade marks, copyrights and design rights
- Private equity
- Data privacy and data protection
- Project finance and PFI
- Intellectual property: Patents