Thijs van Aerde > Houthoff > Amsterdam, Netherlands > Lawyer Profile
GUSTAV MAHLERPLEIN 50
1082 MA AMSTERDAM
- Go to...
Thijs van Aerde
Thijs specialises in Supreme Court litigation, as well as representing clients before the European Court of Justice and the lower Dutch courts. Since Thijs joined Houthoff in 2006, he has litigated more than 100 cases before the Dutch Supreme Court and many cases before the lower Dutch courts. Thijs focuses on issues related to intellectual property law, contract law, tort law, and procedural law matters.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
The team at Houthoff, headed by Thomas de Weerd attracts complex IP litigation in addition to the full range of transactional work, often undertaken with the corporate/M&A group. It has broad sector expertise including in the realms of media and online activities. Its work for anti-piracy organisation Stichting BREIN, which has reached the Supreme Court, will likely have far-reaching consequences as it deals with whether Usenet provider News-Service Europe, as an internet intermediary, is liable for hosting copyright-protected works on its servers. This case is being led by counsel Thijs van Aerde who ‘is a great sparring partner and is highly recommended on cases before the Dutch Supreme Court’. Karim Abass joined the team from WIPO in March 2020 as an associate.
Houthoff is a smaller group but has a ‘rare all-around profile‘ in that it has a blend of expertise that ranges from corporate work including mergers through to Supreme Court litigation. It acts for life sciences, pharma, and tech companies and also advises hospitals on the patent aspects of mergers, and also advises medical start-ups. Team head, Thomas de Weerd combines IP expertise with IT and privacy. Counsel Thijs van Aerde is especially noted for his Supreme Court cases which are often referred to him by other law firms. Counsel Fleur Tuinzing-Westerhuis is a highly rated patent litigator who is also known for her deep expertise in the field of national and community plant variety rights.
In the media space, Houthoff specialises in Supreme Court litigation and high-end M&A. Thomas de Weerd heads the practice and is experienced in IT, e-business, outsourcing, and other technology-related transactions. Counsel Thijs Van Aerde is experienced in litigating media law-related cases before the Supreme Court, the European Court of Justice and the Dutch Appeal and District Courts.
- Leading individuals - Netherlands > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyrights and design rights
- Intellectual property: trade marks, copyrights and design rights - Netherlands
- Industry focus: Media and entertainment - Netherlands
- Intellectual property: Patents - Netherlands
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Capital markets: equity
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: Commercial litigation
- Environment and planning
- Investment funds
- Real estate
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Banking and finance: Borrower side
- Banking and finance: lender or arranger side
- Capital markets: debt
- Commercial, corporate and M&a
- Energy: regulatory
- Energy: transactional
- EU and competition
- Fraud and white-collar crime
- Industry focus: healthcare and life sciences
- Industry focus: Information technology
- Industry focus: telecoms
- Intellectual property: trade marks, copyrights and design rights
- Private equity
- Banking and finance: asset finance and structured finance
- Banking and finance: Financial services regulatory
- Data privacy and data protection
- Industry focus: Media and entertainment
- Intellectual property: Patents
- Project finance and PFI