Mr Thomas de Weerd > Houthoff > Amsterdam, Netherlands > Lawyer Profile
GUSTAV MAHLERPLEIN 50
1082 MA AMSTERDAM
- Go to...
Mr Thomas de Weerd
Thomas specialises in IT, privacy, outsourcing and intellectual property. His daily work involves advising a wide range of national and international clients on IT, privacy and intellectual property matters, technology-related transactions, outsourcing transactions, and technology contracts. He has experience as an in-house counsel for technology and internet companies. Thomas is a board member of the Netherlands Association for Information Technology and Law and the Dutch Privacy Law Association and a member of INTA and the Licensing Executives Society (LES).
Houthoff‘s team brings its ‘business-minded focus and practicality‘ to both M&A in the media sector and media-related litigation. Practice head Thomas de Weerd is ‘a very pleasant person to work with‘ and ‘thinks about the business values and goals‘. He has particular experience advising on cases concerning the crossover between media and technology, and assists clients including Royal Theatre Carré with data protection and GDPR implementation. Counsel Thijs van Aerde frequently represents clients before the Supreme Court, as well as Dutch lower courts and regulating bodies, including the Advertising Code Committee.
Houthoff has extensive IP litigation experience and advises on the IP aspects in M&A transactions. The firm has a significant automotive sector practice and regularly advises leading car companies including Ford, Kia, and Renault. Key individuals in the team include practice head Thomas de Weerd and Thijs van Aerde. Aerde is acting for the European Pallet Association in Supreme Court trade mark litigation against PHZ.
Houthoff frequently handles high-profile cases for leading industry names, including representing Fresenius Kabi in Supreme Court patent proceedings against Eli Lilly concerning the client’s pemetrexed product. Thijs van Aerde advised Fresenius Kabi on this matter and clients praise Aerde’s expertise in Supreme Court litigation. Fleur Tuinzing-Westerhuis is also noted for her patent litigation knowledge and ‘eye for detail‘. Thomas de Weerd leads the practice.
Thomas de Weerd heads up the Houthoff IT, telecoms, media and technology team and the privacy and data protection practice groups, which work in close co-operation with the corporate and M&A and litigation practices. In a recent highlight, the team worked with a US firm to advise Tele2 on its exit from a joint venture with Kazakhtelecom; it is also advising telecoms clients on regulatory issues and anti-bribery matters.(Leading individuals)
Houthoff provides its high-profile roster of clients with the full range of TMT services including IT outsourcing advice, litigation representation and transactional support, especially in the financial sector. The group is also sought out for its expertise in data protection and storage matters and its understanding of new technologies including drones, connecting cars and virtual reality devices. Thomas de Weerd is the well-known team head, and Jurre Reus and Robbert Santifort are up-and-coming names in the field.(Leading individuals)
Thomas de Weerd heads the practice at Houthoff, offering a wealth of experience to e-businesses as well as a track record advising car manufacturers and distributors on data protection matters and the issues around connected cars and smart charging of electric vehicles. In addition to advising on data protection and compliance, the practice also assists clients with investigations by the Dutch Data Protection Authority and Dutch Authority for Consumers & Markets.
- Industry focus: Information technology - Netherlands
- Leading individuals - Netherlands > Data privacy and data protection
- Leading individuals - Netherlands > Industry focus: Information technology
- Industry focus: Media and entertainment - Netherlands
- Industry focus: telecoms - Netherlands
- Intellectual property: trade marks, copyrights and design rights - Netherlands
- Data privacy and data protection - Netherlands
- Intellectual property: Patents - Netherlands
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Capital markets: equity
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: Commercial litigation
- Energy: transactional
- Environment and planning
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Industry focus: healthcare and life sciences
- Industry focus: Information technology
- Investment funds
- Real estate
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Banking and finance: asset finance and structured finance
- Banking and finance: Borrower side
- Banking and finance: lender or arranger side
- Capital markets: debt
- Commercial, corporate and M&a
- Energy: regulatory
- EU and competition
- Fraud and white-collar crime
- Industry focus: Media and entertainment
- Industry focus: telecoms
- Intellectual property: trade marks, copyrights and design rights
- Private equity
- Data privacy and data protection
- Project finance and PFI
- Intellectual property: Patents