Dr Matthias Staehelin > VISCHER > Basel, Switzerland > Lawyer Profile
- Go to...
Dr Matthias Staehelin
Partner, Co-head VISCHER Life Sciences Team, primarily involved in the life sciences and IT industries; he regularly advises on the sale and purchase of companies (M&A), financing through investors (private equity and venture capital), licensing and collaboration agreements (including joint ventures), introductions to the stock exchange (IPOs) and restructuring; he also a notary public in Basel-City and Basel-Country.
Partner at VISCHER since 2000. Associate with Gloor Schiess & Partner (1994-1999), Associate with the New York office of Cravath Swaine & Moore (1994).
English, German, French
President of BioValley Basel and a Board member of the BioValley Business Angels Club (BioBAC). Member Swiss and Basel Bar Associations, Swiss Notaries Association and International Bar Association (IBA)
- King’s College, Halifax, Canada (1984-1985)
- University of Basel, Switzerland (lic. iur., 1990; Dr. iur., 1993)
- College of Europe, Bruges, Belgium (Master of Advanced European Studies, 1992/Diplome des Hautes Etudes Europeennes, 1991)
- College: Internationalisierung des Privatrechts Freiburg i.B., Germany (1992/93)
The team at VISCHER has a considerable track record in national and international mid-market M&A and private equity transactions, with a particularly active practice in the life sciences. Furthermore, the practice offers a dedicated China desk and extensive experience in advising venture capital investors, corporates and start-ups in financing rounds and exits. Transaction specialists Jürg Luginbühl, Robert Bernet and Damien Conus lead the group, which also includes life sciences expert Matthias Staehelin. Gian-Andrea Caprez has notable know-how in the technology sector.
Pharmaceutical and life sciences companies, entrepreneurs/start-ups as well as private equity and individual investors regularly turn to the team at VISCHER for advice. Areas of expertise are regulatory matters, including compliance and administrative procedures, and patent cases in the biotech and pharmaceutical sector. Furthermore, it is also involved in IPOs, financing rounds and M&A deals. Stefan Kohler, a life sciences IP specialist, and transaction expert Matthias Staehelin lead the practice. Christian Wyss is a key contact for start-ups.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Capital markets
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Intellectual property
- Leading firms: German-speaking Switzerland
- Real estate and construction
- Banking and finance: Zurich
- Dispute resolution: litigation
- Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Sports law
- Dispute resolution: arbitration