Dr Matthias Staehelin > VISCHER > Basel, Switzerland > Lawyer Profile
- Go to...
Dr Matthias Staehelin
Partner, Co-head VISCHER Life Sciences Team, primarily involved in the life sciences and IT industries; he regularly advises on the sale and purchase of companies (M&A), financing through investors (private equity and venture capital), licensing and collaboration agreements (including joint ventures), introductions to the stock exchange (IPOs) and restructuring; he also a notary public in Basel-City and Basel-Country.
Partner at VISCHER since 2000. Associate with Gloor Schiess & Partner (1994-1999), Associate with the New York office of Cravath Swaine & Moore (1994).
English, German, French
President of BioValley Basel and a Board member of the BioValley Business Angels Club (BioBAC). Member Swiss and Basel Bar Associations, Swiss Notaries Association and International Bar Association (IBA)
- King’s College, Halifax, Canada (1984-1985)
- University of Basel, Switzerland (lic. iur., 1990; Dr. iur., 1993)
- College of Europe, Bruges, Belgium (Master of Advanced European Studies, 1992/Diplome des Hautes Etudes Europeennes, 1991)
- College: Internationalisierung des Privatrechts Freiburg i.B., Germany (1992/93)
VISCHER advises on a broad spectrum of capital market matters, including IPOs (where it is particularly active in the life sciences industry), bond issues and regulatory matters. The client portfolio is similarly diverse with national and foreign banks, hedge funds, and companies, among others, instructing the team. Team leader Markus Guggenbühl focuses on debt financing, capital market transactions and public takeovers, while Jana Essebier is well versed in structured products and other financial instruments. Basel-based Matthias Staehelin and Robert Bernet are other key practitioners.
VISCHER has a strong track record in transactions in the life sciences space, in which it acts for companies, entrepreneurs and investors alike. It is also well versed in advising clients on compliance matters, administrative procedures and other regulatory matters. Stefan Kohler has longstanding experience in the sector and further advises on IP and technology law. He jointly leads the practice alongside Matthias Staehelin in Basel, who is a key contact for M&A, IPOs and financings in this space. Christian Wyss, also in Basel, has considerable knowledge in setting up contracts and assisting start-ups.
VISCHER has a solid track record in national and cross-border M&A and private equity transactions in the mid-market. Other areas of expertise are public takeovers and proxy solicitations, and the team is particularly well versed in the life sciences sector. Jürg Luginbühl and Robert Bernet lead the M&A practice groups in Zurich and Basel respectively. Matthias Staehelin, also in Basel, is an expert in life sciences mandates, while Gian-Andrea Caprez specialises in the TMT/ICT sector.
- Healthcare and life sciences - Switzerland
- Capital markets - Switzerland
- Commercial, corporate and M&A - Switzerland
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Capital markets
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution: litigation
- Intellectual property
- Leading firms: German-speaking Switzerland
- Real estate and construction
- Banking and finance: Zurich
- Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Sports law
- Dispute resolution: arbitration