Marleen van den Horst > BarentsKrans > The Hague, Netherlands > Lawyer Profile
Attn. Suzanne Pennington de Jongh
Lange Voorhout 3
2514 EA The Hague
- Go to...
Marleen van den Horst
Marleen van den Horst is partner in the IP and Technology practice group and heads the industry group Healthcare and Life Sciences. Marleen has more than 25 years of experience in conducting complex, cross-border proceedings on intellectual property. Specialised in patent law, she handles cases involving mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemistry and life sciences. From ship shutters, electronic Braille cells, floating solar panels, telecoms UMTS and LTE standard essential patents , machines for the manufacture of PVC-O pipes to medical equipment and pharmaceuticals. Marleen has achieved international recognition in the field of Life Sciences. In recent years, she has litigated and advised on patent and administrative litigation concerning, among other things, drugs whose active ingredients are ciclosporin, (es)omeprazole alendronate, escitalopram, modafinil, tramadol/paracetamol, glatiramer acetate, trastuzumab, zoledronate, rivastigmine, lenalidomide, ezetimibe+simvastatin, dasatinib, pemetrexed and sitagliptin as well as on CRISPR-Cas9 technology. Aside from litigation, Marleen also assists clients in negotiating and drawing up licences, technology transfers and distribution and cooperation agreements.
- Marleen is a board member of the NeoKidney Foundation for the realisation of a wearable artificial kidney. She provides pro bono advice on patent and other legal issues.
- Marleen is a member of several professional organisations and trade associations, such as EPLAW, AIPPI, LES, VF&R and VIEPA.
- She is frequently asked as a speaker at international conferences, such as ERA’s annual EU Pharmaceutical law Conference, Fordham University’s annual IP Conference, World IP Forum, LESI and EPLAW.
Based in The Hague, BarentsKrans undertakes complex litigation in addition to transactional work such as cross-border licences and joint development agreements. It also routinely assists clients with strategies to protect its key patents. Its deep knowledge of the pharma, life sciences, technology and agri-food sectors, includes mechanical engineering, electronics, telecoms and biotech. Clients also highlight an appreciation for the firm’s transparency and ‘excellent value‘ on the billing front. Jaap Bremer heads the IP and technology work, while Marleen Van Den Horst heads the healthcare and life sciences industry group. Both are highly rated talents for complex patent litigation and advisory work.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution: Commercial litigation
- Industry focus: healthcare and life sciences
- Environment and planning
- EU and competition
- Intellectual property: Patents
- Banking and finance: Borrower side
- Intellectual property: trade marks, copyrights and design rights
- Private equity
- Real estate
- Commercial, corporate and M&a