Mr Michele Bernasconi > Bär & Karrer Ltd. > Zurich, Switzerland > Lawyer Profile
Bär & Karrer Ltd. Offices
- Go to...
Mr Michele Bernasconi
Michele Bernasconi advises on a broad range of sports, media, energy, telecom and IT matters, acting for both domestic and international clients. He has particular expertise in international litigation and arbitration as well as in commercial and transactional work relating to such industries.
His recent experience includes advice on outsourcing and joint venture projects, broadcasting and sponsorship agreements, ambush marketing, regulatory and antitrust work in both the telecom and sport sector, software licensing, electricity transmission and distribution, doping matters as well as international transfers of football players.
Michele Bernasconi lectures on international sports law at the University of Zurich. He regularly speaks and publishes articles on topics within his practice areas. He is Co-director of the UEFA Football Law Programme.
Michele Bernasconi is recognized as a leading lawyer in Chambers and Legal 500 further lists him in the Hall of Fame for his excellent work. Legal 500 and Who’s Who Legal have listed him among the leading lawyers in Switzerland in the sports as well as in the technology, media and telecommunications sector for years. In 2018 Who’s Who Legal recognized Michele Bernasconi with the global award “Sports Lawyer of the Year” as well as “Thought Leader” for the sports and data protection sector. In 2016 Who’s Who Legal ranks him among the nine “Most Highly Regarded Individuals” for Sports & Entertainment worldwide. In its 2013 edition, the International Who’s Who of regulatory communication lawyers described Michele Bernasconi as one of the “10 Most Highly Regarded Individuals Worldwide”.
- Partner of Bär & Karrer (since 2001)
- Associate at Bär & Karrer (1995)
- Teaching Assistant at the University of Zurich (1991-1994)
- Trainee in a Swiss law firm (1990-1991)
- Clerk and Secretary to the Zurich District Court (1989-1990)
English, French, German, Italian.
- Arbitrator at the CAS – Court of Arbitration for Sport
- American Bar Association (ABA), Chair of the Sports Law Committee of the Business Law Section
- International Bar Association (IBA), Former Chair of the Committee Cm Telecommunications
- Chairman of the Sports Law Committee of the Swiss Bar Association (SAV/FSA)
- President of the Association Suisse de Droit du Sport (ASDS)
- Panelist at the WIPO for Domain Name disputes
- Member of the ASA, Swiss Arbitration Association
- Member of the Zurich Bar Association (ZAV)
- Co-delegate for the Organisation of and Lecturer at the Master in International Sports Law, Zurich University
- Member of the Executive Board of Swiss Tennis
- Member of the Disciplinary Chamber of Swiss Basketball
- Vice President of the Council of “Fondazione Patrimonio Culturale” (the foundation of the Swiss Italian Radio and TV for the protection and the valorization of the cultural treasures)
- Member of the Board of SV Group
- Co-Director of the UEFA Football Law Programme
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Executive Master in Sports Law of the University of Neuchâtel
- Member of the Saudi Arabian Sport Arbitration Center
- Member of SGOA, the Association for the Settlement of Automation Disputes / SGOA – Verein für ICT Konflikt Management
- Member of the SCIA, Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration, as well as of the SCIA High Technology and Intellectual Property Arbitration Centre
- Lecturer and Member of the Advisory Committee of the Executive Master in Sports Law Program of Qatar Olympic Academy
- Harvard Law School: LL.M. (1996)
- Admitted to the Zurich Bar (1992)
- University of Zurich: lic. iur. (1989)
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
The team at Bär & Karrer Ltd. is well versed in acting in a variety of sports cases, including litigation, mediation and arbitration matters. The group acts for prominent sports organizations, associations and individuals, advising them on contracts, regulatory compliance and brand protection. The practice is also active for broadcasters in rights, regulatory and contractual issues. ‘One of the most experienced sports law arbitrators‘ Michele Bernasconi, who also represents parties in disputes, leads the practice with Jan Kleiner who is skilled in media, entertainment and data protection law and ‘combines a fierce work ethic with profound knowledge of the law.’ Associate Lukas Stocker specialises in football regulatory matters, equestrian sports and swimming.
Bär & Karrer Ltd. assists clients with the full range of TMT matters, including complex software contracts, IT joint ventures, technology transfers and outsourcing projects. The practice acts on regulatory matters for telecommunication companies and represents clients in judicial and arbitral proceedings, for example regarding media rights. The team is jointly headed by Michele Bernasconi, Jan Kleiner and Markus Wang with Bernasconi having a ‘deep specialisation in media and TMT matters related to sport‘, Kleiner ‘extensive experience‘ in the media, entertainment and data protection fields, and Wang a particular specialism in the life sciences and healthcare sectors.
Bär & Karrer Ltd. is well respected for its full-service offering across the board with banking, capital markets and insurance as well as corporate, M&A, real estate and dispute resolution particular strengths. Christoph Neeracher, Mariel Hoch, Rolf Watter, Ralph Malacrida, Corrado Rampini and Susanne Schreiber cover all facets of M&A transactions, including venture capital and real estate transactions as well as the corresponding tax aspects. Banking, finance and insurance issues are handles by Peter Hsu and Eric Stupp. Private client specialist Tina Wüstemann and litigation and arbitration expert Andreas Länzlinger are also noted. Daniel Bader has profound knowledge of tax matters while Michele Bernasconi is a sports law specialist.
- Hall of Fame - Switzerland > TMT
- Leading firms: German-speaking Switzerland - Switzerland
- Leading individuals - Switzerland > Sports law
- Sports law - Switzerland
- TMT - Switzerland
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking and finance: Zurich
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: litigation
- Healthcare and life sciences
- Leading firms: German-speaking Switzerland
- Leading firms: Italian-speaking Switzerland
- Private client
- Public law
- Real estate and construction
- Regulatory, compliance and investigations
- Sports law