Prof Dr Rolf Watter > Bär & Karrer Ltd. > Zurich, Switzerland > Lawyer Profile
Bär & Karrer Ltd. Offices
- Go to...
Prof Dr Rolf Watter
Rolf Watter has broad experience in all types of M&A transactions, including defence mandates. He also specializes in corporate governance questions and capital market transactions.
Rolf Watter is presently chairman of PostFinance (since 2013). He is a board member of AP Alternative Portfolio and of the privately held Faber Castell (Holding). He used to be chairman of CEVA Logistics (2018/2019) and of Nobel Biocare (2012/2014; member 2007/2012); further he was a board member in a number of other Swiss listed companies, namely Aryzta, Zurich Insurance Group, Syngenta, Centerpulse, and Forbo. In addition, he is a member of the Regulatory Board of the SIX Swiss Exchange.
Rolf Watter is an editor of the GesKR and the Basler Kommentare on the Code of Obligations II, the Financial Infrastructure Act, the Banking and the Merger Act. He regularly publishes in his fields of work.
In Chambers Global and Europe, Rolf Watter is consistently ranked in tier 1 of the leading lawyers for Corporate/ M&A in Switzerland. Rolf Watter is recognized as a leading lawyer in the Legal 500 Hall of Fame. He is listed among the top 30 corporate governance practitioners in the world by Expertguides. Rolf Watter won the ILO Client Choice Awards Switzerland in the category M&A (2016 and 2018) and Capital Markets (2014); WWL has ranked him in 2019 as best Corporate Governance lawyer.
- Currently chairman of PostFinance AG (since 2013), AP Alternative Portfolio AG (since 2000) as well as Faber-Castell (Holding) AG (since 1997)
- Chairman of Ceva Logistics AG (2018-2019), Nobel Biocare AG (2007-2014, chairman as from 2012) and Chairman of Cablecom Holdings GmbH (2003-2008); board member of Aryzta AG (2016-2020), Zurich Insurance Group (2002-2014), Syngenta (2000-2012), Forbo (1999-2005), Feldschlösschen Getränke AG (2001-2004) and Centerpulse (2002-2003)
- Member of the board of directors of Bär & Karrer AG (2007-2009)
- Member of the management board of Bär & Karrer (2000-2009)
- Partner of Bär & Karrer (since 1994)
English, French, German
- Swiss Bar Association (SAV/FSA)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- SIX Swiss Exchange: Member of the Admission Board, Member of the Commission of Experts on Disclosure of Shareholdings, Recognised Representative for the Listing of Securities
- Part-time Professor of Law at the University of Zurich
- Co-editor of the law journals “Aktuelle Juristische Praxis” and “GesKR” and of the Basler Commentaries on Corporate Law, on the Banking Act, the Stock Exchange Act and the Merger Act
- University of Zurich: Professor of Law (since 1996), Venia Legendi (1990)
- Georgetown University, Washington D.C.: LL.M. (1988)
- Admitted to the Zurich Bar (1986)
- University of Zurich: Dr. iur. (1985)
- University of Zurich: lic. iur. (1983)
Bär & Karrer Ltd. has an excellent market reputation for its full service offering; team members have deep experience in the areas of capital markets, corporate and M&A, banking, insurance, dispute resolution, and real estate, among others. The team includes experts such as Eric Stupp, Ralph Malacrida, Rashid Bahar, Peter Hsu, Rolf Watter, Mariel Hoch and Christoph Neeracher. Tina Wüstemann specialises in private clients, while Daniel Bader and Susanne Schreiber cover tax matters. Michele Bernasconi knows TMT and sports law well. Andreas Länzlinger is an established litigator and handles internal investigations. Daniel Hochstrasser is an expert in arbitration and the chairman of the board of directors.
Bär & Karrer Ltd. is recognised as one of the leading practices for takeover transactions in the public and private area, as well as for private equity and corporate governance mandates. It is a popular choice for clients from the healthcare and life sciences, financial and banking, real estate and venture sectors. Rolf Watter acts as the senior M&A head, supported by local team leaders Martin Anderson in Geneva and Paolo Buttini in Lugano. Christoph Neeracher is a private equity specialist, and Mariel Hoch and Dieter Dubs focus their practice on public M&A transactions. Ralph Malacrida is also experienced in venture capital transactions. Raphael Annasohn made partner in early 2020.
Bär & Karrer Ltd. is a popular choice for large Swiss and international companies and institutions, in particular from the life sciences, real estate and banking sectors. Transaction specialist Ralph Malacrida heads the practice, which includes Urs Kägi, who is a key contact for listed companies, finance expert Lukas Roesler and the experienced Rolf Watter. Thomas Reutter, Roland Truffer, Daniel Raun and Annette Weber left the firm in January 2021.
- Commercial, corporate and M&A - Switzerland
- Hall of Fame - Switzerland > Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Leading firms: German-speaking Switzerland - Switzerland
- Leading individuals - Switzerland > Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Capital markets - Switzerland
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking and finance: Zurich
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: litigation
- Healthcare and life sciences
- Leading firms: German-speaking Switzerland
- Leading firms: Italian-speaking Switzerland
- Private client
- Real estate and construction
- Sports law