Infrastructure in Yorkshire And The Humber
The construction team at CMS focuses on the development, regeneration, energy, renewables, healthcare, education and waste sectors and has notable expertise in finance-related work and infrastructure disputes. The 'exceptionally bright' Fraser Askham heads up the department and is a key contact for contentious work, while Lukas Rootman focuses on environmental work and Chris Bowes handles planning matters.
‘CMS provides an exceptional service in terms of legal analysis, prompt and efficient work and managing of highly complex disputes, whilst at the same time doing everything possible to assist the client in reaching a sensible compromise‘.
‘Based in Sheffield, the team has a unique local strength and appeal, which it combines with a real national outlook and reach‘.
‘Fraser Askham is an exceptionally bright lawyer with a very good client manner. Despite working in difficult conditions, he provides a fantastic result for the clients. He is upbeat and positive without being remotely arrogant‘.
‘Fraser Askham is valued especially for his commercial acumen and pragmatic, sensible approach‘.
University of Sheffield
London Borough of Tower Hamlets
Crown Commercial Services (Wider Public Sector)
NG Bailey Group
Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council
Education and Skills Funding Agency (The Department for Education)
- Representing Lendlease in a complex dispute in the Technology and Construction Court against Balfour Beatty relating to defects arising from the design and construction of a PFI hospital.
- Advising the Education and Skills Funding Agency and the Department for Education on their high-value band and regional framework agreements for the Priority Schools Building Programme 2.
- Assisting The Mayfield Partnership with converting a brownfield site which includes the former Mayfield railway station into a new urban neighbourhood and riverside public park.
- Acting for Viridor Laing on the Greater Manchester waste PFI project.
- Advising Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council on the procurement of a development management organisation for the Glass Works Retail and Leisure Development.
DLA Piper UK LLP's cross-departmental team handles the full spectrum of infrastructure work, including projects, finance, litigation, regulatory matters, competition issues, tax, planning and construction. The practice, which operates on a local, national and international level, counts local authorities, infrastructure funders and major corporates as clients. Ian Doig focuses on construction work, while Robert Smith handles transport-related work. Leeds managing partner Allison Page is an expert in highways and street lighting projects, Natasha Luther-Jones leads the energy group, and Andrew Batterton heads up the development and infrastructure planning teams.
Robert Smith; Allison Page; Natasha Luther-Jones
Department for Transport
Tyne & Wear PTE (Nexus)
Hitachi Rail Europe,
Birmingham City Council
Mitsubishi UFG Financial Group (MUFG) also known as BTMU
Henry Boot Developments
- Advised Element Power on the sale of its wind power projects, battery storage projects, grid services and asset management business covering Ireland, the UK and the Nordics to Statkraft.
- Assisted Highways England with its strategic change programme for the M25 DBFO project including operational issues.
- Acting for the Department for Transport on the operational elements of the £1.4bn Thameslink rolling stock project.
- Advising Highways England on the Lower Thames crossing project.
- Assisting Norddeutsche Landesbank (Nord/LB) with the project financing for the construction and operation of a wind farm in the UK for a German developer.
The infrastructure group at Pinsent Masons LLP's Leeds office handles matters from a broad range of sectors, including healthcare, energy and construction, as well as the public sector. Kate Orviss leads the firm's global healthcare projects team and handles major projects, financings and social infrastructure matters; John Bruce specialises in energy and infrastructure projects with notable expertise in energy-from-waste issues; and Stacey Collins handles construction and engineering-related mandates.
Addleshaw Goddard has a notable reputation in the PFI secondary market, with the infrastructure team benefiting from the strength of the firm's national energy and transport departments, which are both led out of Leeds. The group handles matters across the renewables, utilities, rail, airport, electric vehicle and ports sectors. Richard Goodfellow heads up the national infrastructure, projects and energy group and is experienced in PPP matters, Paul Dight has expertise in projects and regulatory mandates, and Paul Hirst handles transport work, particularly in the rail sector.
Department for Transport
London Luton Airport Limited
Hitachi Rail Europe Limited
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Scotia Gas Networks
National Grid Electricity Transmission Plc
InfraRed Capital Partners
West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA)
Low Carbon Contracts Company
Transport for Greater Manchester
West Yorkshire Combined Authority
Stockton Borough Council
- Advising the Department for Transport on a multi-year mandate on a new rail franchise, which will combine the current InterCity West Coast services with the development and introduction of High Speed 2 services.
- Assisted Scotia Gas Networks with the £250m Gas to the West project, including the construction of a transmission network, which will deliver gas to homes in the West of Northern Ireland.
- Acting for Hitachi Rail Europe on its bid to Tyne & Wear Passenger Transport Executive for the Metrofutures fleet replacement programme.
- Advising London Luton Airport Limited on its plans to expand the airport including improvement works to the existing terminal and the development of a new second terminal.
- Acting for Transport for Greater Manchester on the procurement to extend, improve and operate the electric vehicle charging infrastructure in Greater Manchester.
Squire Patton Boggs
Squire Patton Boggs handles national and international infrastructure projects, with particular expertise in the energy space. James Duckworth, who splits his time between Leeds and Dubai, specialises in the procurement of infrastructure projects in the energy, waste, transport and healthcare sectors; Richard Glover and David Hardy focus on planning matters, and Matthew Mulqueen handles international renewable energy project developments.
Richard Glover; James Duckworth
City Authority of GCC Government
MHI Vestas Offshore Wind A/S
Chania Green Generation Company Limited
Selenkei Investment Limited
Ernst & Young Dubai
Egdon Resources UK Limited
Energy Systems Catapult
Innogy Renewables Limited
SP Manweb plc
Lincolnshire County Council
GreenPower (International) Limited
Energiekontor (UK) Limited
The Energy Networks Association
Regional Land Holding
Frontier Investment Management
Africa Renewable Energy Limited
- Advising a city authority of a GCC government on an energy-from-waste project.
- Assisting MHI Vestas Offshore Wind with the negotiation and drafting of a contract for the supply and installation of wind turbines to the Moray East offshore wind farm.
- Advising Ernst & Young Dubai on the PPP procurement of a series of university hospitals.
- Acting for Chania Green Generation Company Limited on the development and financing of the Chania onshore wind farm in Kenya.
- Assisting the city authority of a GCC government with a PPP procured waste project.
Walker Morris LLP fields practitioners from multiple departments to handle matters in the rail, highways, energy, waste, utilities, education, leisure and telecoms sectors. Clients include local authorities, utility companies, power companies, developers, constructors, technology providers and funders. David Kilduff jointly leads the group with energy-from-waste project specialist Ben Sheppard; Gwendoline Davies focuses on contentious work, Jules Harbage handles construction matters and Judith Pike specialises in funding energy sector work.
David Kilduff; Ben Sheppard
Hull City Council
Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust
Sustainable Development Capital LLP
Earth Capital Limited
Oil & Pipeline Agency
- Assisted MVV Environment with its tender for the NESS Energy project, an energy-from-waste and combined heat and power project being procured by Aberdeen City Council, Aberdeenshire Council and Moray Council.
- Acting for Wakefield Council on a new £20m flagship leisure and wellbeing hub.
- Assisting Winchester City Council with the arrangements for the management of a new leisure centre.
- Advising British Steel on Associated British Ports’ takeover of its Immingham bulk terminal.