Energy in Yorkshire And The Humber
Addleshaw Goddard's practice counts 'Big Six' energy companies and high-profile corporates as key clients, which it advises on all issues across power, nuclear, renewables, oil and gas, water and energy litigation. Richard Goodfellow, Paul Dight and John Emerton jointly lead the team; Goodfellow specialises in downstream energy work, Dight handles energy infrastructure and regulation matters, and Emerton is an energy sector litigator. James Reynolds leads the nuclear team, David Shaw focuses on utilities work while managing associate Alex Clayton has experience in smart metering projects.
Richard Goodfellow; Paul Dight; John Emerton
Macquarie Principal Finance (MPF) (part of the Macquarie Group)
National Grid Electricity Transmission plc
Northern Ireland Electricity Networks Limited
Foresight Metering Limited
Low Carbon Contracts Company
Muse Developments Limited
Scotia Gas Networks (SGN)
West Yorkshire Combined Authority
Leeds City Council
- Advising Foresight Metering Limited on all aspects of its smart metering meter asset provider business including refinancing work and procurement processes.
- Assisting National Grid Electricity Transmission with its entry into an asset maintenance contract for the Sellindge convertor station, the British terminal station of two direct connections between the continental European and British electricity grids.
- Advising Muse Developments on its Hale Wharf development in Tottenham Hale including its district heating network.
- Acting for Macquarie Principal Finance, part of the Macquarie Group, on its agreement with Amazon to fund, develop and operate rooftop solar panels on Amazon’s fulfilment centres across the UK.
- Advised West Yorkshire Combined Authority on the procurement for the supply, installation and operation of an electric vehicle charge point network in the West Yorkshire region.
DLA Piper UK LLP leverages the firm's global capacity to handle local, national and international energy projects across the wind, solar, energy-from-waste, oil and gas, energy storage and smart metering sectors, including developments, investments, acquisitions, disposals and financing work. The team also has notable experience in corporate power purchase agreements. Renewable energy expert Natasha Luther-Jones is global co-chair of the firm's energy and natural resources group and Teresa Hitchcock focuses on regulatory issues and climate change work. Andrew Batterton handles property and planning-related issues, legal director Laura Gordon is a key name for project finance matters. Ben Peecock was made up in the firm's 2019 partnership round.
Natasha Luther-Jones; Teresa Hitchcock
‘The practice has an exceptionally broad client base across the energy and natural resources sector and provides all-round strength in both contentious and non-contentious matters‘.
‘The team has exceptional knowledge of the energy infrastructure sector and provides a first-class service to clients‘.
‘Teresa Hitchcock is an able and extremely determined lawyer, fiercely loyal to her clients and has remarkable strategic and tactical sense‘.
‘Natasha Luther-Jones has excellent commercial awareness and industry knowledge. She is always ready to make that extra effort to introduce and connect clients to make a deal‘.
Credit Suisse Energy Infrastructure Partners AG (CSEIP)
Norddeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale (Nord/LB)
Greencoat UK Wind
DekaBank Deutsche Girozentrale
Anglo African Oil & Gas
- Advised Credit Suisse Energy Infrastructure Partners and E.ON on their investment into and financing of one of the largest onshore wind farms in Europe, the Nysäter project in Sweden.
- Acted for Nord on the project financing and operation of the first non-subsidiary onshore wind farm to be built in the UK with a corporate power purchase agreement.
- Acted for Element Power, a global renewable energy developer, on the sale of its wind power projects, battery storage projects, grid services and asset management business covering Ireland, the UK and the Nordics to Statkraft.
- Assisting DekaBank Deutsche Girozentrale as lender with the project financing of Blackrock’s acquisition of the Guleslettene wind farm in Norway from Zephyr.
- Advising Heleba as lender on the refinancing of Cairnborrow wind farm in Scotland.
Pinsent Masons LLP's Leeds-based group leads on national energy projects and fields two distinct transactional and advisory and disputes teams. Notable areas of expertise include conventional power, renewable and alternative energy, oil and gas, nuclear and construction-related matters. Team head and construction lawyer Melanie Grimmitt handles major energy projects in the UK and the Middle East, Stacey Collins focuses on transactional matters, Mark Harris is an expert in infrastructure work, Jon Riley assists with planning work and John Bruce is a specialist in waste-to-energy matters.
‘The team at Pinsent Masons actively listens to its clients needs, has exceptional attention to detail, and adopts a commercial approach to problems while striving for solutions. It really is a true global firm‘.
Ørsted (formerly Dong Energy)
Carlton Power/Wainstones Energy
Green Investment Group
London Array Limited
Drax Group PLC
Viridor Waste Management Limited
Flogas Britain Limited
Falcon Energy Group
Johnson Matthey PLC
FTS Derricks PTE. LTD
Longzhu Oilfield Services PTE LTD
Eggborough Power Limited / EPH Holdings
- Advising Drax Group Plc on multiple construction and engineering multi-million pound projects including its repower project and an open-cycle gas turbine project.
- Assisted EPUKI with the procurement of new-build combined cycle gas turbine projects at Eggborough and King’s Lynn.
- Representing Koupler Limited, a Cypriot energy business, in claims against the Hellenic Republic of Greece relating to investments made to develop a large photovoltaic power project in Southern Greece.
- Advising Centrica plc on multiple construction and infrastructure projects ranging from small-scale residential energy efficiency contracts to major combined heat and power projects.
- Assisting Falcon Energy Group Limited with the termination of four cantilever jack up drilling rigs being built by a shipyard in Southern China.
Squire Patton Boggs
Squire Patton Boggs has notable expertise both nationally and internationally, with a key strength in renewable energy projects in the UK, Africa and the Middle East. James Duckworth specialises in the procurement of major projects in the energy and waste sectors and divides his time between Leeds and Dubai; Richard Glover focuses on planning matters and has experience in compulsory wayleave hearings; Matthew Mulqueen is based in the firm's Leeds, London and Houston offices and handles international renewable energy projects; David Hardy is an expert in planning matters.
Richard Glover; James Duckworth
City Authority of GCC Government
MHI Vestas Offshore Wind A/S
Chania Green Generation Company Limited
Selenkei Investment Limited
Ernst & Young Dubai
Egdon Resources UK Limited
Energy Systems Catapult
Innogy Renewables Limited
SP Manweb plc
Lincolnshire County Council
GreenPower (International) Limited
Energiekontor (UK) Limited
The Energy Networks Association
Regional Land Holding
Frontier Investment Management
Africa Renewable Energy Limited
- Acting for the City Authority of a GCC government on a major energy from waste project.
- Advising MHI Vestas Offshore Wind as wind turbine manufacturer and installer on the drafting and negotiation of the contract for the supply and installation of wind turbines for the Moray East Offshore Wind Farm, Scotland.
- Acting for EDF Energy Renewables on the £701m sale of a minority stake in 24 of its UK wind farms to Dalmore Capital and the Pension Infrastructure Platform.
- Advising Chania Green Generation Company Limited on the development and financing of the Chania onshore wind farm, Kenya, including the provision of debt finance from CDC.
- Advising Selenkei Investment Limited on the development and financing of the Radiant Solar PV project in Kenya, involving the provision of debt finance from both FMO and EIB.
DWF's sector knowledge spans electricity, gas, water, renewables, district energy and heating, battery storage and nuclear projects, which it handles at a national and international level. The team also has substantial experience in issues involving electricity technologies. Construction lawyer Andrew Symms heads up the practice, which also includes Christian Hellmund, who leads the renewable energy group, and Guy Rusling, who focuses on the property elements of energy transactions.
ScottishPower Group (including ScottishPower Energy Retail, ScottishPower Energy Networks, ScottishPower Generation and ScottishPower Renewables)
Doosan Power Systems SA
Whitbread Group plc
Gildemeister energy solutions GmbH (part of the DMG Mori Group of Japan)
Vensys Energy AG
Canary Wharf Group plc
Aberdeenshire Council, Aberdeen City Council and Moray Council
Discovery Park Limited
United Utilities Renewable Energy Limited
Yingli Green Energy Europe GmbH (part of Yingli Green Energy of China)
Yingli Namene Solar
Farm Energy Partnership LLP
- Advised ScottishPower on the ‘Damhead Creek Unit 2’ combined cycle gas turbine project in Kent, which has now been sold to Drax.
- Representing Doosan Power Systems SA in a major dispute in France regarding the conversion of a coal-fired power station to biomass.
- Instructed by Quartzelec on a matter relating to a power station in the Philippines.
- Advising Aberdeen City Council, Aberdeenshire Council and Moray Council on the procurement of their £120m joint energy from waste development.
- Advising Vensys Energy AG on all its UK and Irish onshore wind projects including turbine supply agreements, long-term service agreements and regulatory issues.
As a relatively new practice area for Shoosmiths LLP, the firm's Leeds office, which opened in late 2016, has a strong niche specialism in waste projects alongside clean energy expertise acting on onshore wind, solar and hydro projects. James Wood-Robertson focuses on infrastructure and renewable energy projects in the UK and abroad and has notable expertise in power purchase agreements.
General Energy Solutions
- Advised Wastewise on its bid for the recent Greater Manchester Waste PPP project.
- Assisting General Energy Solutions with the refinancing of a large rooftop solar PV portfolio on social housing properties.
- Advising a developer on the financing, construction and operation of a waste to bio-gasoline project.
- Acting for a renewable energy investor and developer on the development of a merchant energy from waste plant in Cornwall.
- Assisting a major investment manager on the acquisition of a portfolio of rooftop solar PV systems in Northern Ireland.
Walker Morris LLP's expertise is focused around waste matters, including energy-from-waste projects, anaerobic digestion matters and bio-resources projects. The group's clients span public sector bodies, utilities and project companies, developers, technology providers, subcontractors and funders. David Kilduff and Ben Sheppard jointly lead the group; Kilduff focuses on project work and Sheppard handles energy-from-waste matters. Gwendoline Davies is the key name for contentious work, Jules Harbage handles construction-related matters and Judith Pike focuses on real estate issues.
David Kilduff; Ben Sheppard
Sustainable Development Capital LLP
Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust
Grissan Energy Limited
Associated Waste Management
Earth Capital Limited
Yorkshire Water Services
Oil & Pipeline Agency
University of Sheffield
- Advising Yorkshire Water Services on the procurement of a biomethane-to-grid energy project at two sites in Hull and Leeds.
- Assisting Arla Foods with a competitive procurement of a supplier to deliver an energy efficient project involving the supply, installation, operation and maintenance of combined heat and power facilities are Arla’s dairy manufacturing site.
- Advising MVV Environment on its tender for the NESS Energy Project, an energy from waste and combined heat and power project being procured by Aberdeen City Council, Aberdeenshire Council and Moray Council.
- Drafted and negotiated a boiler outage contract for Drax Power Station.
- Advised Barnsley, Doncaster and Rotherham (joint committee) on a major waste PFI.
Andrew Jackson Solicitors LLP aligns its expertise with the local region and Humberside's 'Energy Estuary' to handle matters in the port and harbour industries including anaerobic digestion facilities, quayside bulk materials handling facilities for coal and biofuels, pipeline installation and vessel chartering, offshore supply and support vessels and energy-from-waste and solar energy projects. Team co-head Andrew Oliver focuses on marine environment law and has experience in cabling agreements and disturbance agreements, and fellow co-head Stephen Unwin specialises in wind farms and renewable energy projects.
Andrew Oliver; Stephen Unwin
Associated British Ports
Mainprize Offshore Ltd
Grimsby Renewables Partnership
Greater Gabbard Offshore
Association British Ports
- Acted for Yorkshire Bank on the provision of finance secured by a mortgage on a new vessel, an existing vessel, a debenture and group guarantee.
- Advised Bostonair Group Limited on its exit from a joint venture which provided engineering personnel and supports vessels.
- Advising on the Blackstart Project, a project to supply a default power generation facility to the National Transmission Network.
- Handling agreements with an international energy supplier, a wind farm operator and developer for Associated British Ports for the laying of cables to facilitate the UK’s largest offshore wind farm.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP
The key contact in Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP's Leeds office is Mark Howarth , who leads the international firm's UK energy sector commercial and regulatory disputes team. The practice works closely with the firm's national and international network to advise on global issues across the oil, power and renewable energy sectors. Jo Hatton-Jones is also noted for her renewable and clean energy expertise.
Other key lawyers:
CGN Europe Energy
Thames Water Group
- Acting for a national oil company as defendant in a high-profile oil and gas dispute.
- Acting for npower in a judicial review of Ofgem’s decision to require npower to take part in a consumer collective switching trial.
- Acting for a state oil company in an oil and gas dispute involving damages claims and future losses claims for the remaining term of a gas sales agreement.
- Defending a wind farm operator in a claim brought by landowners for underpayment of royalties.
Schofield Sweeney stands out for its renewable energy expertise with a niche specialism in small energy sites. The practice also handles solar, biomass, combined heat and power, anaerobic digestion, energy-from-waste and energy storage projects for developers, landowners and contractors. Team head Adam Hastie focuses on development and regeneration work and Bradford-based Farooq Zar is a property expert.
Other key lawyers:
Sirius Renewable Energy Limited
Renewable Heat Generation Limited
Templeborough Biomass Plant Limited
Aqua consultants Limited / Lanes Farm Energy Limited
BWSC Power Corporation Limited
Catfoss Renewables Limited
- Advised BWSC Power Corporation on its biomass plant at Snetterton including supply issues and procurement work.
- Advised Aqua Consultants Limited on its anaerobic digester project in Pontefract including related supply contracts and power purchase contracts.
- Assisted Templeborough Biomass Power Plant Limited with its £200m biomass energy plant at Templeborough including grid connection framework agreements and lease work.
- Acted for Catfoss Renewables Limited on its acquisition of a £23m waste processing plant.