Professional negligence: claimant in Yorkshire And The Humber
With one of the largest teams in the region, Addleshaw Goddard advises key clients from the banking and construction sectors on a range of issues at a national and international level. The team has recently developed a particular focus on defective cladding mandates including advising on compliance with the Building Regulations and fire safety legislation in the aftermath of the Grenfell tragedy. Sally Emerton heads up the litigation practice across the Manchester and Leeds offices while also co-leading the firm's financial services sector group; and Joe Wilkinson is a key name for construction and engineering related matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Experienced, commercially orientated team, adept at hard-fought litigation and settlements.’
- Advised a group of 16 individuals who had invested in a failed investment structure called Elysian Fuels.
- Acted for a property fund in a multi-million pound professional negligence claim against Colliers International Property Advisors, arising from the purchase of a multi-use development at which Colliers provided building surveying reports.
- Acted for a financial services client in a professional negligence claim against a valuation firm arising from the valuation of a collateral security.
DLA Piper has long-standing relationships with some of the UK's largest banks, building societies and accountancy firms, which it advises on a wide variety of complex professional negligence matters with particular expertise in issues arising from commercial lending work. Adam Ibrahim leads the practice and has experience in mandates involving solicitor, surveyor and valuer negligence relating to commercial property transactions and substantial asset purchases. Fellow co-head and consultant Hugh Evans has notable contentious expertise and is a key contact for financial services sector clients.
Bank of Ireland
Lloyds Banking Group (including Bank of Scotland)
The Royal Bank of Scotland Group (including NatWest)
Leeds Building Society
- Defended Bank of Scotland in a high-profile, complex, multi-million-pound claim relating to the alleged negligent sale at an undervalue of a portfolio of over 100 properties.
Walker Morris LLP's expertise spans numerous sectors and the team acts in disputes involving accountants, solicitors and architects. The practice is also frequently instructed in claims arising from leasehold disputes, including claims where the title to a property is unsecured or there is a challenge to the value of the lender's security. Gwendoline Davies, Paul Hargreaves, Nick Lees, Louise Power, Richard Sandford, Martin Scott and Malcolm Simpson collectively lead the team and are key practitioners. Andrew Beck became a consultant in 2019.
Other key lawyers:
‘They know the sector inside out, and all the vulnerabilities of the defendants.’
‘Extremely strategic – very able to deal with claims involving hundreds of claimants and several causes of action.’
Accord Mortgages Limited
Bank of Ireland
Leeds Building Society
Yorkshire Building Society
Taylor Wimpey plc
- Acted for a number of leaseholders in fraudulent misrepresentation claims.
- Represented a large number of buyers in claims against solicitors for negligently advising on transactions conveying off-plan “apartments”.
- Successfully handled a multi-million pound recovery in a negligence and mortgage fraud claim arising from one of the largest buy to let mortgage frauds to affect Wales.
3volution Limited is a boutique commercial firm based in Leeds, which acts for claimants in a number of sectors including the manufacturing and engineering, property and retail industries. Recently, the team has developed additional specialist expertise in the energy industry, leveraging its partnership with Business Energy Claims. Experienced firm co-founder Tim Stone leads the team and has notable experience in pensions-related disputes, while Samantha Wragg handles a range of contentious commercial work alongside her professional negligence practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘We work a lot with Samantha Wragg. We always feel very confident putting her in front of clients with no litigation experience as Samantha is very good at going back to first principles and explaining the litigation process and weighing up the risks for the client. Samantha is very approachable and we would not hesitate to recommend her.’
TMD Friction UK Limited
Univer Manufacturing Co
Fresh Pastures CIC
Omega Atlantic Limited
RE Grafton Limited
Nexus Vehicle Management Limited
TSA Service Limited
OLR (UK) Limited
The General Service Board of Alcoholics Anonymous
- Partnered with Business Energy Claims to pursue a number of claims against energy brokers for breaches of fiduciary duties, negligence, and breach of contract.
- Acting for Omega Atlantic in claims brought by Hawksmoor Property Services and Lambert Smith Hampton Group relating to monies owed in respect of the provision of professional services provided.
- Acting for IJT enterprises in a negligence claim against Ascot Lloyd, which provided financial advice which resulted in the investment of £500,000 in bonds in Merico Financial, an investment vehicle, and the resulting unpaid sums following maturation.
Irwin Mitchell utilises its national network of offices to act for corporate clients and individuals bringing claims against a variety of professionals including solicitors, financial advisers and accountants. A particular specialism for the team is representing insolvency practitioners in claims which arise out of insolvency estates, as well as claims relating to the construction industry. Senior associate Natasha Guthrie is the key practitioner in Sheffield; Jonathan Sachs leads the national professional negligence practice from London, and Steve Beahan is head of the Sheffield commercial litigation team.
‘The team has carved out a special niche in running professional negligence claims in insolvency situations, where, for example, a company has had negligent advice in the period before liquidation.’
‘Natasha Guthrie is really terrific – running complex claims at partner level.‘
Arc Legal Assistance Ltd
Abbey Taylor Limited
DAS UK Group Limited
Wilson Field Limited
Begbies Traynor LLP
Shoosmiths LLP's growing practice acts for corporate and private clients from numerous sectors, with a particular focus on acting for lenders. Recently, the team has received a number of instructions to act in pensions disputes relating to negligent advice given by solicitors to pension scheme administrators. Professional negligence specialist Matthew Howarth has overseen the development of the team since the firm opened its Leeds office in 2017.
‘Solid experience in the professional negligence field. Approachable, friendly team who combine legal expertise with commercial awareness.’
‘Matthew Howarth – Matthew has a quiet, calm manner which has served us well in negotiations and mediations. He is very approachable and has a wealth of experience in his field.’
Mortgage Trust Limited
Step One Finance Limited
Lendinvest Capital Sarl
Entrust Pension Limited
Paragon Development Finance Limited
- Acted for a client in a collection of 10 grouped claims against former solicitors in relation to the non-disclosure of material facts surrounding a development on the South Coast of England.
- Represented a client as co-claimant in multiple professional negligence claims against its former pension scheme administrators and legal advisers.
- Acted for Paragon Development Finance in professional negligence claims against the valuers of a development site in the South of England.
Blacks Solicitors LLP has a 'special niche in running professional negligence claims in insolvency situations', acting for businesses and high-net-worth individuals. The team also has experience in regulatory proceedings against solicitors, and handling matters relating to police officers and construction companies including breach of contract and defective workmanship claims. Luke Patel is the key contact.
- Represented a client in a negligence claim against its former solicitors, who previously represented the client in a claim against the producers of MMR vaccines.
Keystone Law acts for clients across the UK in claims against a broad range of professionals including solicitors, accountants and insurance brokers. Jonathan Watmough is the key practitioner in Yorkshire and leverages his previous experience working for leading professional indemnity insurers to represent businesses and high-net-worth individuals. Claims arising from conveyances are also an important sphere of work for the group.
LCF Law primarily acts for individuals in professional negligence claims against law firms and accountants; it has notable experience in matters arising from the property and financial services sectors. Leeds-based Charles Abraham heads up the practice, which also fields Ragan Montgomery, who is an experienced litigator and mediator and operates from the firm's Bradford office.
- Represented a car industry executive in pursuing a professional negligence claim against his former tax advisers.
- Acted for the executors of an estate in pursuing a professional negligence claim against a firm of solicitors concerning inheritance tax liabilities arising from a trust deed.
- Represented an individual in a claim against their former solicitors in respect of litigation advice concerning a High Court claim.