Health and safety in Yorkshire And The Humber
The health and safety team at CMS is instructed by its high-profile client roster on strategic advice, risk management work and compliance issues, as well as on all stages of investigations and prosecutions. The group has particular experience assisting clients in high-risk industries including the energy, waste and recycling, construction, transport and manufacturing sectors. Lukas Rootman heads up the practice and has a wealth of experience in a range of contentious and non-contentious health and safety matters.
- Represented Veolia ES (UK) in a matter arising from the death of one of its employees. Following an inquest and trial where the client was found guilty by majority, the firm provided mitigating arguments to successfully minimise the sentencing to a £1m fine.
DAC Beachcroft LLP's safety health and environment practice is noted for its impressive client roster of top insurers; it also assists private corporates with a range of health and safety matters. The groups also acts in a range of investigations, and has substantial expertise in the construction, manufacturing, healthcare, retail, leisure, rail and transport sectors. Practice head Chris Baranowski focuses primarily on corporate manslaughter and health and safety investigations, Tracey Longfield is a key name for healthcare sector clients, and Matthew Breakell assists a range of companies from SMEs to large corporates.
‘DAC Beachcroft LLP boasts an insurance-focused but particularly strong health and safety team based in Leeds.‘
‘The health and safety team at DAC Beachcroft LLP has strong depth of talent and resources, covers a wide geographical area and has good legal and market awareness.‘
‘DAC Beachcroft LLP‘s health and safety team provides clear and concise updates and deals with client’s questions in a thoughtful, precise manner.‘
‘Practice head Chris Baranowski is very client focused, has an excellent unflappable manner and is very popular with clients.‘
‘Associate Matthew Breakell is a very shrewd operator with an excellent depth of knowledge of the law and very good client skills.‘
‘Associate Matthew Breakell impresses clients with the clear and sympathetic way that he guides them through the whole process, and invokes confidence that they are in good hands.‘
Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance
The Police Federation of England and Wales
Dimensions UK Ltd
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Henderson Insurance Brokers
- Acting for a roofing contractor in a prosecution by the HSE following a fall from height by a sub-contractor during building works at a school.
- Acting for a materials handling company in a prosecution by the HSE following a serious incident, in which an employee fell ten metres at a customer’s premises.
- Represented a Northern Ireland-based furniture manufacturer in a prosecution following an incident that left an employee paralysed.
- Acted for a commercial printing company in HSE investigations arising out of an incident in which an employee sustained an amputation of his arm whilst cleaning a machine.
DLA Piper UK LLP's safety, health and environment group is instructed by an impressive client roster which includes several national and international corporates, which it assists with a range of matters spanning compliance advice, risk management and high-profile contentious matters. Teresa Hitchcock has a breadth of health and safety experience, particularly in the manufacturing, construction and industrial sectors alongside public sector expertise. Recently promoted partner Alastair Clough and associate Eddy Steele handle non-contentious and contentious matters respectively, while legal director Ailish Oxenforth assists with a broad range of instructions.
‘Associate Eddy Steele is very approachable, gives sensible, practical and solid advice.‘
The environment, health and safety team at Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP combines contentious and non-contentious expertise to assist its impressive client roster, which includes a range of household names and highlights the firm's sector specialisms in the energy, manufacturing and education industries. The practice is jointly led by national practice head Kevin Elliott, who splits his time across several offices, and Leeds-based Paul Verrico, who has particular experience in the education sector. Senior associate Surekha Gollapudi is also singled out; she specialises in corporate criminal defence work and non-contentious compliance advice, and frequently handles inquests.
Kevin Elliott; Paul Verrico
Other key lawyers:
Mitchells & Butlers plc
Kier / Turriff Contractors
Sir Robert McAlpine
National Grid Electricity Transmission plc
- Acted for Forterra in a prosecution brought by the HSE relating to an accident at the Manor Works, Claughton, which caused serious injuries.
- Advised CPM on a fatal accident, in which a maintenance fitter became trapped in a conveyor.
- Acted for DFDS in a criminal investigation brought by the HSE following the death of a security guard who was employed by a third party company.
- Acted for VPS (UK) in prosecutions brought by the Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Authority relating to the failure to properly assess the risks of a building and inadequately sign posting fire exits at a property prior to licencing it to property guardians.
- Advised Turriff Contractors on issues following a serious gas explosion.
The regulatory, compliance and investigations team at DWF acts for a combination of insurers and large corporates on a range of health and safety issues. The group has particular experience in the energy, retail, education, healthcare, construction, hotels and leisure, local authority and manufacturing sectors. Paul Matthews is instructed in high-profile investigations and prosecutions and heads up the team, which includes senior associates Mark Thompson, who has particular experience in criminal defence, and Sarah Smith, who recently joined the practice from Irwin Mitchell.
‘Paul Matthews is a good, solid health and safety lawyer.‘
Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea
Electricity North West
Kerry Group PLC
- Represented Electricity North West in a prosecution following the death of a linesman, which resulted in an appeal to the Court of Appeal.
- Acted for Yorkshire Water Services following the fatality of one of its workers at a water treatment site.
- Acting for a charity in an ongoing corporate manslaughter investigation following the death of a volunteer.
- Acting for the principal contractor in a health and safety investigation following the death of an employee on a construction site.
- Representing a senior manager of Wood Treatment, who is under investigation for gross negligence manslaughter following the death of four people in the Bosley Mill explosion in July 2015.
The 'very professional and competent' team at Kennedys is recognised for its regulatory defence work and is frequently instructed by individuals and organisations under investigation. It has particular expertise across numerous sectors, including the construction, manufacturing, utilities, healthcare, waste, and leisure industries, and also acts for fire and rescue clients and public authorities. London-based Daniel McShee heads up the practice, which includes senior associate Anna Naylor in Sheffield; she defends a range of clients in proceedings brought by the HSE and local authorities.
Other key lawyers:
‘Kennedys‘ Sheffield-based team has extensive experience in the health and safety field and covers a huge area in dealing with contentious and advisory safety and environmental work.‘
‘Kennedys completely understands the complexity of the unique specialist field of health and safety.‘
‘Anna Naylor has great experience and is tireless in her determination to achieve a result for her client.‘
‘Anna Naylor is very well prepared and gives the client full confidence in her ability to find a way forward; she is patient, industrious and very hardworking.‘
Mitie Group (Care and Custody Health)
2 Sisters Food Group Limited
Champneys Springs Limited
Cleveland Potash Limited
NFUM Risk Management Services
Pinsent Masons LLP's health and safety and risk advisory practice specialises in advising large retail and food sector clients on a range of contentious and non-contentious matters. The Leeds-based team, which includes regulatory lawyer Simon Tingle, works with well-known national and international businesses on strategic advice and in prosecutions.
Walker Morris LLP is frequently instructed by well-known companies on a range of contentious and non-contentious health and safety matters, with clients spanning the food, manufacturing, healthcare, care homes, construction and demolition sectors. Jeanette Burgess, who has particular experience in handling corporate manslaughter prosecutions, heads up the team, which includes regulatory expert Andrew Northage, Stuart Ponting, who handles a range of contentious matters with a focus on the food, retail and construction sectors; and Robert Starr, who counts rail, food, retail and care among his sector specialisms.
‘The health and safety team at Walker Morris LLP is wise, sharp, sparky, full of commercial and creative solutions, has outstanding market knowledge, and is ready to roll its sleeves up and be on site late at night or at unsocial hours.‘
‘Walker Morris LLP‘s health and safety team is flexible in its approach, pragmatic and helpful.‘
‘Walker Morris LLP‘s team is technically on the ball and very approachable.‘
‘Stuart Ponting is ‘rock star’ quality; his depth of experience and market knowledge (plus knowledge of the regulators, prosecutors and judges) is second to none.‘
‘Stuart Ponting offers wise advice to minimise impact and protect the client.‘
‘Director Robert Starr is experienced and has a sound understanding of health and safety, and fire safety legislation.‘
‘Robert Starr is an excellent communicator and knows the area of law extensively.‘
‘Senior associate Claire Burrows is an outstanding lawyer, very skilled in carrying out and supporting investigations and in negotiating with the regulator.‘
Arla Foods Limited
Galliford Try plc
Karro Food Limited
- Acting for one of the key individuals involved in the demolition of the Didcot Power Station.
- Advised Arla Foods on a prosecution by the HSE following an alleged accident in December 2015 at its purpose built site in Aylesbury.
- Acting for a food manufacturer in an HSE investigation following an accident, which resulted in a site operative having three of his fingers amputated in an industrial mixer.
- Advising a professional football club on a fire safety investigation by a local council.
- Acted for Renew Holdings on its acquisition of QTS Group, including providing a due diligence exercise and specialist health and safety advice relating to offences in Scotland.
Weightmans' regulatory team assists a client roster, which spans the public, commercial, charity, sports and insurance sectors, with a range of health and safety matters. Practice head David Lewis' experience encompasses corporate and gross negligence manslaughter investigations and sensitive jury inquests.
Contract Natural Gas
UPM (Kymmene) UK Ltd
- Acted for Newcastle University following the death of a student as a result of acute alcohol intoxication following his participation in a society initiation event.
- Instructed by UPM-Kymmene UK following a fatality that occurred at one of its warehouses operated by Downton.
- Defended Contract Natural Gas in a criminal prosecution brought by the CPS following a gas explosion at a retail premises in the Wirral.
- Acting for Vantage Drilling in a hearing following the death of an employee caused by injuries suffered while part of the maintenance crew aboard a warm stacked vessel.
BLM handles a range of regulatory, civil and criminal health and safety issues with particular expertise advising on incidents arising in the construction, engineering, manufacturing sectors and care home-related cases. Henry Kirkup, who frequently assists clients in investigations and prosecutions by the police and HSE, heads up the team, which includes experienced inquest advocate Andrew Hetherington.
Other key lawyers:
The regulatory team at Gateley Plc is highlighted for its ability to assist its clients, which range from family-run businesses to large corporates, with health and safety matters including crisis management issues following fatalities and major incidents. Pauline Munro heads up the practice from Leeds and has notable expertise in the manufacturing, retail, food and construction sectors.
Drayton Manor Park Limited
Taylor Wimpey plc
North West Fire Control
Wm Morrison Supermarkets plc
Costcutter Supermarkets Group
Dr. Oetker (UK) Ltd
Malmaison & Hotel du Vin in Property Holdings Limited
Garvey Demolition Ltd
- Advised Nylacast on its crisis management, investigation and inquest support following the death of an employee while at work.
- Assisted Camtrex with crisis management issues, investigations and inquest support following the death of an employee while at work.
- Instructed by Drayton Manor Park to handle matters following a fatal incident in May 2017, where a member of the public died.
- Acted for Kingsgate Golf Club in investigations following the injury of an employee while at work.
- Acting for a national branded retailer in investigations following an injury to an employee due to two separate incidents.
Plexus Law is frequently instructed by insurers on a range of health and safety investigations and prosecutions. The group also counts large corporates, public bodies and directors, managers and employees who are subject to enforcement from regulatory authorities as clients. Anthony Baker assists with a range of regulatory issues, and heads up the practice, which includes regulatory and insurance litigator Chris Foulkes, Richard Salvini, who frequently advises on a range of civil and regulatory matters, and Jonathan Tetley, who has particular experience in employers’ and public liability.
‘Plexus Law is one of the market leaders in providing legal services to the insurance sector. The team is managed extremely well, provides a very efficient service and never loses sight of the lay client and its interests.‘
‘Plexus Law‘s key strengths are based on decades of experience within the team, and knowing how to respond to clients as well as enforcement agencies.‘
‘Plexus Law‘s health and safety team can be trusted, and has vast exposure to a wide variety of organisations and institutions.‘
‘The health and safety team at Plexus Law is capable of dealing with matters in the round, keeping costs, time and effort selflessly down to a minimum for the benefit of the client.‘
‘Plexus Law stays up to date and leave no stone left unturned.‘
‘The individuals at Plexus Law demonstrate high levels of empathy with the clients and are capable of understanding the wider commercial impact of regulatory prosecutions. To this end, it is able to strategically navigate its advice to achieve the best outcome for the client.‘
‘The team at Plexus Law is always extremely well prepared, and knows the detail and wider issues when providing advice in all aspects of the work undertaken.‘
‘Ciaran Garnett is conscientious, has good judgement, drafts well and is capable of handling the most complex cases.‘
Whirlpool UK Appliances Ltd
WR Berkley Offshore
- Instructed by QBE Insurance (Europe) in a HSE investigation into a policyholder after they received 11 reports concerning hand-arm vibration syndrome suffered by the insured’s employees working in property maintenance.
- Defended a leading white goods manufacturer in a claim to recover damages for psychiatric injury as property owners rather than primary or secondary victims.
- Instructed by an insurer to act for its leisure sector client following the failure of a children’s theme park ride.
- Advised an insured care home on a HSE investigation and prosecution.
- Acted for an insured steel distributor in a police and HSE investigation and inquest after one of its drivers suffered fatal crush injuries.
The health and safety team at rradar assists insured policyholders with a range of criminal and regulatory investigations and prosecutions. Criminal regulatory partner Matthew Coles heads up the practice, which includes Jeff Swales, who recently joined the team from Andrew Jackson Solicitors LLP and has particular transport expertise. The 'approachable' Andrew Cameron is also a key name to note.
‘rradar provides front-end knowledge on how to deal with matters, accidents and incidents before they occur and back-end legal services when they d0.‘
‘rradar provides innovation, skills and legal knowledge.‘
‘With specialists across the practice, rradar gives clients confidence in its service and its ability to support customers, utilising risk base before more expensive legal cases.‘
‘rradar health and safety team fields outstanding individuals, who really understand the needs of clients.‘
‘The health and safety team at rradar is hardworking, approachable and transparent demonstrating the highest professional standards.‘
‘Andrew Cameron is extremely well known and highly regarded in the industry; he is an innovator, who commands confidence and has a vast knowledge.‘
‘Stephanie Thirlwell is outstanding at assimilating detail in complex cases, providing coherent, informative, and realistic advice. She has a comprehensive grasp.‘
JS Wood & Son
- Acted for J S Wood & Son following an incident on its premises led to a HSE prosecution.
- Advised Furniture Village after a serious accident resulted in an employee being injured, resulting in a HSE investigation and prosecution.
- Acted for Flexi Foods in court proceedings relating to the sale and supply of mixed beef and horse meat to the meat industry for the manufacture of beef products, with the purpose of deceiving the end user.
- Acted for Orona, a lift manufacturer, in HSE and police investigations and prosecutions following the death of a five year old who sustained fatal injuries after becoming trapped inside one of the lifts.
- Instructed by a core participant in a major public inquiry of national interest.