Employment: Sheffield and South Yorkshire in Yorkshire And The Humber
DLA Piper UK LLP is instructed on the full range of contentious and non-contentious matters, with particular expertise advising on public sector procurements, TUPE and outsourcing work, as well as handling issues relating to employment status, GDPR and national minimum wage compliance. The group benefits from being able to leverage its international network in cross-border matters and has notable expertise in the technology, manufacturing, financial services and retail sectors. Key names to note include practice head Clare Gregory and Gurpreet Duhra; Gregory has recently been particularly active in assisting clients with gender pay gap reporting, while Duhra is highlighted for his expertise in collective employment issues.
Other key lawyers:
Merlin Entertainments Plc
DS Smith Plc
University of Sheffield
Dixons Carphone plc
- Advised a global leader in consumer packaging products on an EU-wide GDPR compliance project.
- Represented The Leadmill in high-profile High Court and Employment Tribunal litigation involving a former general manager.
- Assisting a global data solutions and financial services software developer with a training programme relating to sexual harassment and workplace conduct.
- Successfully defended International Paint in a complex age discrimination claim.
- Advised HCL Technologies on its acquisition of certain IBM software products and the related employment implications for employees in multiple EU jurisdictions.
CMS' employment practice handles a range of non-contentious matters and disputes, and is particularly strong in the real estate, infrastructure, financial services, construction and retail sectors. It is frequently instructed to assist with the employment aspects of corporate transactions including TUPE matters, organisational changes, restructuring and insolvency work and redundancies. Practice head Tracey Marsden has an impressive breadth of expertise advising public and private sector clients on a full range of matters including trade union and industrial relations issues, major business transfers, redundancy and restructuring programmes and TUPE-related mandates, with other focuses including gender pay reporting and employee mental health. Associate Emma Sweetman is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Great Portland Estates
Intu Properties Group
St George Plc
Burda Principal Investments
Endeavor (and IMG Media)
Low Carbon Contracts Company
Civitas Social Housing PLC
- Advised Immediate Media on the employment aspects of its acquisition of BBC Good Food.
- Advised Endeavor on the employment aspects of a number of deals, including its acquisitions of NeuLion and Clifford French.
- Acted for Dubai head-quartered client, AWR Rostamani, on its acquisition of a majority stake in Brayleys Cars.
- Assisted NG Bailey Group with its acquisition of the Wakefield-based power engineering services contractor The Freedom Group.
- Instructed by City Taxis Group to advise on a number of sector acquisitions and disposals in Sheffield and the Midlands, and advised on the employment aspects of the management buy-out of the group.
The employment team at Irwin Mitchell is instructed by a high-profile client roster including national and international companies and household names, which it advises on a range of non-contentious matters and employment tribunal claims. The group has particular experience assisting clients in the healthcare, education and insurance sectors. Kirsty Ayre heads up the practice and has particular expertise in industrial relations and trade union law.
Other key lawyers:
Capita Group Plc
Henry Boot plc
The Association of Colleges
South Yorkshire Housing Association
- Acted for Skyscanner on the design and delivery of its diversity training.
- Advising a regulated employer on the disputed exit of its chief executive.
- Assisting a long standing chief executive with his exit and sale of shares.
- Acted for a national building company in a test case on the employment status of sub-contractors in the construction sector.
- Represented an airline in one of the first claims under the Civil Aviation Working Time Regulations.
Keebles' employment department is recognised for its representation of Yorkshire-based businesses, particularly in the engineering and manufacturing, transport and professional services sectors. Catherine Wilson, who has particular expertise in handling discrimination and whistleblowing claims, joined from Gordons LLP and leads the team, which includes former practice head Barry Warne, who is a name to note for TUPE advice, and senior associate Lauren Pickard, who handles a range of corporate support work.
‘The employment team at Keebles provides practical and helpful advice to clients, who feel that they are able to chat about minor concerns to provide the reassurance that’s needed.‘
‘Lauren Pickard provides pragmatic and succinct advice and helps clients to develop skills and knowledge and always considers the uniqueness of a client’s business.‘
‘Catherine Wilson is well-regarded in the Sheffield market.‘
‘Lauren Pickard is very professional.‘
Stauff UK Limited
Pressure Technologies plc and subsidiaries, including Chesterfield Special Cylinders Limited
Welbilt UK Limited
ELG Haniel Metals Limited
Bletchley Park Trust Ltd
The Building Societies Association
The Miles Partnership
Pegler Yorkshire Limited
Senior Architectural Systems Limited
- Advised The Miles Partnership on the restructuring and reorganisation of its director and client support teams, and on changes to its board structure.
- Advised an engineering sector client on the leaving arrangements for its senior director including negotiating the severance agreement.
- Advised a CEO of an AIM-listed company on his departure.
- Instructed by a software house to advise on the restructuring of its UK operations in Berkshire.
Lupton Fawcett's practice is instructed by a variety of clients on commercial and contentious matters ranging from compliance advice to investigations and tribunal claims. It works closely with its Leeds and York-based offices and has an impressive client roster including household names. Leeds-based Andrew Gilchrist heads up the firm's Yorkshire-wide employment team, which includes Joan Pettingill in Sheffield, who has particular experience assisting clients in the steel, motor and manufacturing sectors.
Other key lawyers:
British Glass Manufacturers Federation
University of Wolverhampton
Airmaster Air Conditioning
Go Green Limited
W E Rawson Limited
Transvac Service Partnership
- Instructed by Roche Healthcare to provide employment advice on several matters; it recently defended the client several tribunal claims relating to alleged discrimination issues.
- Advised the Sheffield office of Arcelor Mittal on a complex redundancy exercise.
- Assisted Airmaster Air Conditioning with its GDPR compliance.
- Advised Go Green on business protection issues, restrictive covenants and employment contracts.
- Assisted the University of Wolverhampton with GDPR compliance matters.
Wake Smith Solicitors Limited
Wake Smith Solicitors Limited is known for its representation of small and medium enterprises in Yorkshire, which it assists with a range of employment issues. It is also instructed by high-net-worth employees to assist with settlement agreements. Practice head Mark Serby and Holly Dobson are 'two very highly regarded tacticians'; Serby has a particular focus on enforcement of post termination restrictions and confidentiality provisions, while Dobson has notable expertise assisting clients with employment disputes, GDPR compliance and TUPE advice.
Other key lawyers:
‘The employment team Wake Smith Solicitors Limited is extremely approachable, professional and knowledgeable and has a very human approach.‘
‘Mark Serby and Holly Dobson have an excellent local reputation for giving robust, commercial advice, are exceptionally skilled in employment law and stand out in Sheffield and the wider area as the ‘go-to’ employment lawyers.‘
‘Mark Serby‘s approach is superb, precise, knowledgeable and always working in the client’s best interest; he gives clients confidence and is a great support.‘
‘Holly Dobson is very approachable, extremely knowledgeable and takes on board how client’s need to apply the advice in real life. She goes the extra mile to help and is very engaging and professional.‘
London Associated Properties PLC
J F Finnegan
Marketing and Management Services Limited
Westfield Contributory Health Scheme Limited
Schulke & Mayr UK Limited
Howells' employment team, which is led by Clare Fowler, is noted for its representation of employees in employment tribunal claims, with particular expertise in dismissal, discrimination and TUPE issues. It also has experience assisting small business clients with compliance and day-to-day advice.