Commercial litigation: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire in Yorkshire And The Humber
Addleshaw Goddard's commercial litigation team handles the full breadth of disputes and counts procurement, fraud, professional negligence, pensions, tax and IT claims among its specialist areas. The group benefits from a strong national and international network, and works particularly closely with individuals in the firm's Manchester office. Experienced litigator and international arbitration specialist Simon Kamstra (who has particular experience in the energy, aviation and manufacturing sectors) heads up the team alongside the 'impressive' Bill Gilliam, who focuses on procurement, IT and M&A disputes. Other names to note include legal directors Louise Dobson, who has expertise in the health and pharmaceutical industries; and Gareth Jones, who is particularly active in the industrials, transport, energy, and utilities sectors; Dobson and managing associate Ryan Geldart 'both outperform their level of PQE'.
‘A stand out firm with excellent strategic-thinking litigators.‘
‘Bill Gilliam is a very impressive partner in commercial litigation.‘
‘Bill Gilliam is a market leader with detailed knowledge of procurement law in particular and a pleasure to work with.‘
‘Ryan Geldart and Louise Dobson both outperform their level of PQE.‘
McKesson UK (including Lloyds Pharmacy Limited and AAH Pharmaceuticals)
R Raphael & Sons plc
Department for Transport
- Defending the Department for Transport in a procurement challenge relating to the West Coast franchising competition from unsuccessful bidder WCTP.
- Acting for Cafer Pekin in a £10m shareholder dispute involving a family business, Paragon Quality Foods.
- Acting for Raphaels & Sons in a claim brought by Zebra Finance under a credit broking and outsourced services agreement.
The 'very impressive' litigation and regulatory practice at DLA Piper goes 'above and beyond to deliver the best possible outcomes for the client'. It has impressive cross-border litigation and international arbitration experience and is particularly strong for procurement, competition, IT, pensions and transport disputes. Practice head David Young has a reputation for handling pensions, procurement, banking and finance claims and has been increasingly active in the hotel sector, while 'careful and creative litigator' Simon Kenyon is a popular choice for IT sector clients. Paul Stone and legal director Kathryn Ford are highlighted for public law disputes and contentious pensions matters respectively.
‘Exceptionally well-managed, committed, and professional team who go above and beyond to deliver the best possible outcomes for the client.‘
‘Simon Kenyon is a careful and creative litigator.‘
‘The team at DLA in Leeds are very impressive. They have a level of professionalism that inspires confidence in their work. Their experience, diligence and hard work results in very high quality output. They compete at a very high level.‘
‘Simon Kenyon is exceptionally good – he has unrivalled experience of running enormous technical cases and managing challenging trials. He is incredibly hard-working and committed, he has excellent judgement, and is a joy to work with.‘
‘Paul Stone is a partner that inspires confidence. He has his eye on the ball and understands the bigger picture of each dispute. He asks questions that show he really understands what’s important about each set of issues.‘
‘Legal director Sohail Ali is a stand out individual in the litigation/arbitration team. Very responsive, good attention to detail and excellent lawyer.‘
CWT UK Limited
Heineken UK Limited
Hitachi Rail Limited
- Acting for Hitachi Rail in a procurement challenge against London Underground relating to the £2bn Deep Tube procurement for the provision of rolling stock for the Piccadilly line with options on other lines.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP's commercial dispute resolution practice is a strong choice for litigation and international arbitration. The group has an established reputation in product liability claims, public procurement disputes, public inquiries and regulatory investigations (particularly in the telecoms and energy sectors) and is growing its competition disputes expertise. Gary Pellow counts the logistics, energy, aerospace and defense industries among his sector specialisms and leads the practice alongside TMT sector expert James Hyde and Richard Matthews, who has notable product liability and contentious procurement expertise. Mark Howarth and principal associate Deborah Polden are names to note for energy sector and general commercial disputes respectively.
‘Matt Chapman has been proactive, responsive and provided advice beyond his years.’
‘This is a unique practice in my experience in that Eversheds Sutherland’s Leeds office deals with very ’big ticket’ international energy work.’
‘Mark Howarth is an exceptionally bright lawyer and a great team player. He has a fantastic grasp of detail and knows his way around technical oil and gas issues as well as any lawyer I have met.’
‘Gary Pellow (Partber) – immensely experienced with very large, high profile clients and cases; very assured touch; seen it all; great judgment.’
‘Chris Buddle (Legal Director) – rigorous, immensely hard-working; brilliant grip of the detail and the big picture.’
‘Deborah Polden (Legal Director) – skilled multi-tasker; very calm in a crisis; very able.’
Yum! Brands (KFC and Pizza Hut)
- Defending National Iranian Oil Company in a dispute in which the claimants seek damages in excess of $15bn. This included arbitral proceedings and multiple phases of satellite litigation.
- Acted for a leading automotive part manufacturer in a claim before the High Court arising from a fatality on a motorway in France.
- Acted for npower in a judicial review of Ofgem’s decision to require npower to take part in a consumer collective switching trial.
Pinsent Masons LLP
The litigation and regulatory team at Pinsent Masons LLP stands out for its strong sector specialisms particularly in the higher education, IT, manufacturing, engineering and chemicals industries. James McBurney, who handles a range of corporate and commercial disputes, recently took over the role of practice head from Andrew Masterson, who remains in the practice and has particular experience in product liability and pensions disputes. Julian Sladdin is a name to note for contentious university matters, while legal director Louise Nahon focuses on product liability claims, environmental litigation and cross-border commercial litigation. The group has particular experience in handling multi-jurisdictional matters with recent elements in Dubai, Saudi Arabia and France. It also benefits from a dedicated forensic accounts team.
‘Pinsent Masons is a global powerhouse, and its Yorkshire commercial litigation team more than flies the flag for the broader organisation. The Yorkshire office has individuals of exceptional intellect and drive, who can call upon all the resources of the international firm of which it is a part. This makes it a heady mix for clients: world class services and exceptional value. I don’t know of any better option for commercial litigation north of London.‘
‘Consistently sound legal advice from a team of experienced litigators. Very good understanding of insurer / insured relationship and the needs of both parties.‘
‘I have worked with James McBurney for nearly 20 years. It is remarkable that, as a senior partner handling a large caseload, he seems to keep as close to the detail of even complex cases as he did all those years ago as an outstanding associate. I have never known a partner to be so hands-on and as involved in every important decision in a case as James is. And through it all he has a fantastic sense of humour and is great to work with.‘
‘James McBurney is excellent. Very competent case management and efficiency in running matters. A pleasure to work with.‘
Hamad Aldrees & Partners Holding Co. for Industry and Mining
Chas A Blatchford & Sons Ltd (now Blatchford Ltd)
United Utilities plc
University of Sheffield
Nottingham Trent University
University of Gloucestershire
The Go-Ahead Group plc
Speedy Hire plc
- Represented a Saudi Arabian corporate and manufacturer in a £40m High Court claim relating to allegations of supply of defective gyratory mineral separation machinery from a UK supplier.
- Acted for a large subsidiary of a Yorkshire-based plc in claims for injunctive relief against former employees and their new employer arising out of breaches of post termination covenants and misuse of confidential information.
- Defended a representative beneficiary in a £12m rectification claim by an employer in respect of pension increase rules of the Charles Blatchford Pension Scheme.
Litigation specialist firm Stewarts Law LLP attracts praise for being 'strategic and often ahead of the market' and has particular expertise in fraud and corruption litigation, cartel damages claims, and IT and financial services sector disputes. Practice head Mo Bhaskaran specialises in fraud and corruption investigations and recovery actions, while Kate Pollock is 'a superb litigator' with particular experience assisting retail, manufacturing, aviation, and energy sector clients. Recently promoted partner Nick Haworth, who is 'incisive and calm, even in the fiercest storm', is another name to note for corporate and commercial disputes. The group also benefits from the competition litigation expertise of Jonathan Sinclair, who acts in a consulting role; and has strengthened its fraud litigation capabilities with the addition of senior associates Ed Holmes and Andrew Robson from Addleshaw Goddard.
‘I am always impressed by Stewarts as a firm. They are fiercely dedicated to their clients. They are strategic and often ahead of the market – they initiated the payment card interchange fee litigation in this country, and in so doing managed to represent a large group of prominent retailers which were fierce competitors. The firm maintains a first-rate internal culture; its people are loyal to the firm, dedicated to their clients’ interests, and deeply supportive of each other.‘
‘Kate Pollock is really good. Straight forward and talks common sense.‘
‘Kate Pollock is a superb litigator: smart, strategic, and level-headed. She fights hard for her clients while still managing to maintain good relations with counterparties – she is an excellent negotiator too. A privilege to work with.‘
‘I worked with Nick Howarth when he was a senior associate and thought he was clearly on the route to partner. Incisive, and calm even in the fiercest storm.‘
Marks & Spencer
Public Institution for Social Security, Kuwait
Asda Group Limited
Wm Morrison plc
Home Retail Group plc
Cardiff Educational Endowment Trust
BlueOak Capital LLC
- Defended Mitu Misra, an entrepreneur, in a fraudulent £27m claim brought by a former shareholder of Safestyle, including defeating an application for permission to appeal.
- Acting for iiyama in pursuing complex £160m cartel damages claim including securing a major win in the Court of Appeal.
- Representing Asda Stores, Home Retail Group and Wm Morrison Supermarkets in one of the largest ever cartel damages claims involving defending a Court of Appeal victory in the Supreme Court.
Walker Morris LLP has a strong commercial disputes practice with particular construction, manufacturing, energy, food and retail sector expertise. The group acts for a growing list of leading UK and global companies as well as entrepreneurs; it is also a popular choice for foreign companies in UK disputes and counts US-headquartered industrial companies and Western European energy companies among its clients. Practice head Gwendoline Davies, Malcolm Simpson and Nick Lees all have broad expertise in commercial litigation and arbitration. Other names to note include directors Nick McQueen, who has developed a niche in energy sector litigation, and Lynsey Oakdene.
‘Walker Morris are a high class DR outfit.’
‘Gwendoline Davies is a class act with great clients.’
‘Nick McQueen is the powerhouse of the firm, with all of the skills needed to be a blue chip litigator – passionate, meticulous, great judgment, awesome legal knowledge and fantastic with clients.’
‘Nick McQueen is streets ahead of all of his peers.’
Barrett Steel Limited
Morses Club plc and subsidiaries
Moisture Control & Measurement Limited
LF Europe (part of Li & Fung)
- Acting for Begbies Traynor as liquidators of Changtel Solutions (UK) including in a £38m High Court claim against the former director involving allegations that the company was knowingly used as a vehicle for fraud and asset dissipation.
- Acted for Kraft Heinz in claims arising from the misappropriation of approaching £650,000 by a former employee, including a claim involving the fraudulent fabrication of documents.
- Acting for Taylor Wimpey UK and Persimmon Homes in a professional negligence claim against their former legal advisers.
Clarion's commercial dispute resolution team attracts praise for being 'progressive and very user-friendly'. The one-office practice counts technology, outsourcing and logistics, and media among its sector specialisms, and frequently acts in contentious corporate matters, judicial review proceedings, and supply chain contract disputes. Practice head Simon Young and David Williams have broad practices, while Dominic Higham has a particular niche in IT and outsourcing disputes. Legal director Dominic Blakeley represents client in outsourcing, shareholder and partnership disputes, while senior associate Kayleigh Fantoni focuses on breach of contract claims.
‘Clarion is a progressive and very user-friendly law firm. The lawyers are all responsive, technically very capable and I feel like I am in the best possible hands. The litigation they are dealing with for me is complex and very high value, indeed for me it is of critical importance. I have complete faith and confidence in the team at Clarion to deliver a successful conclusion.‘
‘Attention to detail, feel like they’re very much part of our own team.‘
‘Simon Young leads the litigation team at Clarion. He sets out a clear strategy and then manages his team with military precision to achieve that objective.‘
Silverstone Circuits Ltd
Kingspan Insulation Plc
Royal Devon & Exeter NHS Foundation Trust
Sports Direct International plc
Fujifilm Diosynth Biotechnologies UK Limited
LNT Group Ltd
Caddick Group Ltd
Dunlop Oil and Marine
Skipton Building Society
Gulf Gas & Power
- Representing Wilton UK in a complex contract and derivative claim relating to a large development site in the North East of England.
- Represented Caddick Group in a dispute relating to a block of 94 residential apartments in London Docklands, which the client was purchasing from a wealthy businessman for onward sale to Millharbour Investments.
- Acting for Sports Direct International in its well-publicised claims against Goals Soccer Centres concerning financial reporting irregularities and audit issues.
Squire Patton Boggs attracts praise for 'delivering client-focused solutions' in a range of commercial disputes. Jason Blakey leads the practice and handles a range of contentious contractual and tortious matters; he also counts pensions litigation among his areas of specialism. Senior associate Jenny Broderick is 'outstanding', particularly for shareholder disputes, warranty claims, professional negligence issues and defamation disputes. The practice benefits from the ability to utilise the firm's national and international network to work cross-office; the Leeds-based team works particularly closely with individuals based in Manchester.
Other key lawyers:
‘Easy to deal with and reliably meet deadlines. SPB are keen and able to have a better understanding of our business and activities and have formed closer working relationships that other solicitors which we find greatly assist in getting suitable advice tailored to the business.‘
‘Very commercially focused, delivering client-focused solutions rather than expensive black letter law. An impressive cultural commitment to getting clients from A to B at the minimum achievable expense but with the firepower to see litigation through to trial, if necessary.‘
‘A strong, experienced team, with significant expertise in the electricity sector. A reputation for providing advice across a range of subject areas.‘
‘Jason Blakey is our main contact and he is very friendly, approachable and shapes his communications and advice depending upon the level of person he is dealing with. We have used Jason to deliver training as well as for serious litigation and have always found him responsive and highly capable.‘
‘Jason Blakey leads the team. He is very experienced, commercial and knows how to give clients what they want. A quality operator.‘
‘Jenny Broderick is an outstanding lawyer and litigator. If there is a killer point, she will find it.’
Contact (Print and Packaging) Limited
CPP Group PLC
Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC
Clipper Logistics PLC
Eurolink Technology Limited
Electricity North West Limited
- Defending Print and Packaging Limited in High Court proceedings relating to alleged breaches of warranty, misrepresentations (including fraudulent misrepresentations) and breach of contract.
- Acted for Catalis in the contentious aspects of the its acquisition by Project Sword Bidco (an acquisition vehicle for NorthEdge Capital LLP), including the court process and procedure, to deliver a successfully sanctioned scheme for the shareholders.
The litigation team at 'very pragmatic' boutique firm 3volution Limited is led by Tim Stone, who has broad corporate and commercial disputes experience and counts pensions litigation among his specialisms. Other names to note include IP expert Sara Ludlam and Samantha Wragg, who handles financial services, pensions and defamation disputes and professional negligence claims.
‘This is a very successful boutique commercial firm which has established itself in the highly competitive Leeds market place. Keeping the team small and specialist is definitely a strength and enables the firm to concentrate on all aspects of commercial work, of which the team have a high expertise. The offices are modern and accessible in central Leeds.‘
‘Very pragmatic firm looking for sensible solutions.‘
‘Samantha Wragg has an amazing grasp of detail and ability to reproduce this in letters and court documents, also a very reassuring client manner in conference. She is extremely tenacious but also has a real commercial flair and ability to take the temperature of a case at an early stage.‘
‘Samantha Wragg provides a commercial outlook on a problem if appropriate.‘
Omega Atlantic Limited
Global Tech Sourcing Limited
The Trustees of Thorntons Pension Scheme
Nexus Vehicle Management Limited
Goldfinch Entertainment Limited
Tech Search Associates Limited
TSA Service Limited
Natural Paving Products (UK) Limited
Evolution Technical Services Limited
Dransfield Novelty Company Limited
Designer Software Limited
Trustees of Donisthorpe Hall
Quirky Ales Limited
Jewel Home Support Limited
Wakefield City Academies Trust
Mark Grafton and RE Grafton Limited
Kensington Power Limited
Lincoln-Remi Group LLC
Arena Group Limited
Project FF&E Limited
Babystyle (UK) Limited
Leeds City Credit Union
Bob’s Business Limited
PS Marsden (Precision Engineering) Limited
Anthesis Energy UK Limited
Baby Products Association Limited
The General Service Board of Alcoholics Anonymous
Yorkshire Air Ambulance
CK Beckett Oil Processing Limited and CK Beckett Oil Processing 2017 Limited
- Defended Omega Atlantic in claims brought by Hawksmoor Property Services, Comino Investments and Lambert Smith Hampton Group relating to monies owed for the provision of professional services provided.
- Acting for CK Beckett Oil Processing in its claim for unpaid invoices issued to DJ Oils and defending against DJ Oils’ counterclaim for alleged breach of an exclusivity obligation.
- Acting for Lincoln-Remi Group LLC in a trade mark dispute.
Freeths LLP's commercial dispute resolution practice attracts praise for its 'very experienced litigators with good commercial sense and great tactics'. 'Exceptional litigator' James Hartley heads up the team and has particular group action and funding arrangement expertise; he recently led a high-profile group action against the Post Office. The 'commercially astute' Lindsey Clegg is a name to note for cross-border contractual litigation and international arbitration.
Other key lawyers:
‘Lindsey Clegg is very bright, savvy and commercially astute.‘
‘Very experienced litigators with commercial good sense and great tactics. Good at dealing with clients facing difficult situations, and robust with the other side.‘
‘Freeths stand apart from other law firms as they get to understand the situation, don’t patronise and look to add value rather than bill time.’
‘James Hartley is an exceptional litigator.‘
Onur Air Tasimacilk A.S.
NHS Property Services
Bovis Homes Ltd
Travis Perkins Plc
Leeds City Council
- Represented the claimants in a group action against the Post Office for damages suffered because of failings in the Horizon computer system installed across more than 11,000 post offices.
Gateley Plc's 'practical and very client-centred' commercial dispute resolution team acts for local and national corporates with a strong Yorkshire-presence. Experienced mediator Gerard Khoshnaw leads the practice alongside the 'commercially astute' Andrew Johnson, who has particular expertise in housebuilding, education, energy and procurement disputes. Simon Ingham and Gavin Winter handle a range of corporate, commercial and property litigation.
‘They bring strategic and commercial dispute management to construction and oil and gas disputes.‘
‘The firm has a residential development focus and act for most of the top 20 housebuilders. As such the advice given is sector-specific and lawyers are able to draw on experience of advising other housebuilders in similar situations. A key strength is straightforward pragmatic advice.‘
‘They are practical and very client-centred in their advice and have a commercial approach in dealing with disputes. They understand the need to provide cost-effective solutions and most importantly: they deliver.‘
‘Andrew Johnson: clear, direct and unambiguous advice. Commercially astute.‘
‘Andrew Johnson is excellent and delivers advice in a digestible and direct format.‘
‘The primary lawyers that we have dealt with at Gateley are (in no particular order): Peter Barr, Andrew Johnson, and Simon Ingham. I am always impressed by their ability to get the right balance between the legal and commercial imperatives. They are all extremely easy to work with, approachable and down to earth and understand the need to provide a cost-effective service.‘
Royal London Insurance
Taylor Wimpey Plc
White Young Green
Bellway Homes Plc
Crest Nicholson Plc
Working on Wellbeing Limited
Birmingham City University
FCC Environment UK Limited
Casualty & General Insurance
- Defending DHL in a procurement claim in relation to a multi-million pound NHS supply contract.
- Representing Crest Nicholson in protracted legal proceedings relating to a contractual interpretation issue under a contract for the sale of land.
- Acting for Persimmon in a dispute over a high-value joint venture agreement and agreement for lease between Persimmon, Redrow and BBS Kirkby in relation to land at Bracknell and subletting of commercial units to Morrisons and the Co-Op.
Irwin Mitchell counts franchising, IP, IT and construction disputes among its areas of specialism. Practice head Alex Newman is particularly strong for contentious IP and IT sector matters, while James Laycock is a name to note for contractual, shareholder and restrictive covenant disputes. Senior associate Richard Payne has a focus on breach of fiduciary duty claims, breach of warranty issues and recruitment sector disputes.
Christeyns UK Limited
Transcal Holdings Limited
Taskmaster Resources Limited
Site Masters Plc
- Successfully represented Transcal in a claim for breach of warranty under an SPA and counterclaim following trial of a preliminary issue regarding the construction of the warranty.
- Represented Pirtek in a claim against a previous franchisee for defamation and malicious falsehood.
Knights plc acquired legacy independent firm Shulmans LLP and attracts praise for having a commercial litigation team that is 'clearly committed to giving an exceptional experience'. Headed up by Richard Wadkin, the group has particular expertise in the financial services, road transport, housebuilding, professional services, and manufacturing sectors. Following the acquisition, the practice benefits from the ability to leverage the firm's growing national network.
‘Knights are a very impressive organisation clearly committed to giving an exceptional experience for their clients.‘
- Represented a waste management company in a breach of contract dispute.
- Acted for a client in the manufacturing sector in a breach of contract dispute relating to the supply of faulty goods.
- Acted for a community football club in a dispute relating to the protection of data.
Langleys Solicitors LLP
The dispute resolution team at Langleys Solicitors LLP counts breaches of commercial contract litigation and shareholder disputes among its areas of specialism. Practice head James Henson attracts praise for being 'a hardworking, client-focused, sensible practitioner' and has particular experience in advising the European Commission on its intervention in English litigation.
‘James Henson is an astute and very able lawyer, who combines his legal acumen with an excellent client-facing side that is sensitive to his client’s needs whilst ensuring that difficult points are not dodged but rather addressed as best they can be.‘
‘Have a high profile with great work.’
‘James Henson is a hardworking client focused sensible practitioner who works tirelessly for his clients ‘
‘James Henson is the person I deal with. What makes him stand out, in my mind, is his ability to create a team ethic between the clients, solicitor team and counsel. This has the advantage that the clients are always aware that the lawyers are on their side, even when they are giving them advice that may not be quite what they were wanting to hear, and so engage with their legal team fully with the result that what might have been considered insurmountable hurdles end up becoming challenges that are managed or resolved.‘
Electricity North West Limited
Software Box Limited
W Boyes & Co Limited
Grafton Group Plc
Paynes Dairies Limited
Encore Envelopes Limited
- Acting for the European Commission in successfully disputing the jurisdiction of the English High Court to hear a claim for damages brought by the families of victims of atrocities following the Bosnian War in the High Court.
- Acting for the European Commission in its intervention in the Supreme Court in the appeal cases of Sainsburys Supermarkets v Visa Europe Services & Others UKSC 2018/154 and Sainsburys Supermarkets & Others v Mastercard & Others UKSC 2018/156.
- Representing the European Commission in its intervention in the Supreme Court in support of the State of Romania in the case of Micula & Other v Romania, UKSC 2018/0177.
The dispute resolution team at Schofield Sweeney handles a breadth of corporate and commercial litigation. Bradford-based James Staton leads the practice, which includes tax litigator Leo Jones-Rowe in Leeds. Changes to the team include the arrival of Simon Lucas from Squire Patton Boggs and departures of Alistair Kennedy and Matthew Fidler to newly established litigation firm Tyr Law.
‘I was very impressed by their approach from the start to the end of a process and engagement throughout.‘
‘Leo Jones- Rowe has been a fantastic person to act as my contact for the wider business. I like his ability to explain things in a way a non-legal person can understand. His colleagues in other departments also share a similar style which I believe positively reflects on the culture they have within their business and approach to customers.‘
Sanderson Group plc
M&M Contractors (Europe) Limited
BW Healthcare Limited
Huggon Associates Ltd / Gillian Benning
Closegate Hotel Group
Greenhous Group Limited
- Successfully represented Sanderson Group in receiving court approval of a prospective £90m acquisition by US enterprise solutions business, Aptean.
- Acted for the directors and shareholders of a company in the motor finance and leasing sector in a multi-million pound shareholder dispute claim under s994 Companies Act 2006.
- Acted for a British company in arbitration proceedings regarding the sale of hides and skins to a Swiss company for onward sale to a Turkish company.
LCF Law's disputes team acts in a range of corporate and commercial disputes and has particular expertise in the utilities sector. Leeds-based Charles Abraham focuses on the financial services and gas and electricity industries and leads the team, alongside Ragan Montgomery in Bradford, who has particular property litigation and professional negligence claim experience. 'Outstanding' associate Roger Raper is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team, though small is strong and highly competent.‘
‘Their accessibility and ability to explain the complicated legal options in a simple way.‘
‘Pro-active dispute resolution, with very capable lawyers, offering real value.‘
‘Associate Roger Raper impresses with his command of detail.‘
‘Charles Abraham stands out for me in his ability to explain all the possible angles but manage the situation to maximise the commercial output for us.‘
‘Associate Roger Raper is outstanding, sharp, responsive, and full of initiative. In particular, he is very helpful in the lead-up to trials when the pressure is intense and provided real assistance as a sounding board for ideas and tactics. He also reads matters well and has mastery of correspondence with opponents, especially the timing and pitch of settlement offers. He also has great rapport with the client.‘
MKM Building Supplies Limited
G S F Limited
Baker Tilly Creditor Services
Stage Coach South-Western Trains
Wolf Laundry Limited
- Acting for an electricity supplier in a multi-million pound supplier dispute.
- Acted for a group of care homes in a multi-million pound financial services dispute.
- Represented Haztec in a dispute under the Commercial Agency Directive in France.
The dispute resolution practice at Lupton Fawcett acts for clients in a range of commercial and corporate litigation. Howard Rutter in Leeds has particular experience in handling partnership disputes and contentious probate matters, and leads the team alongside York-based Jonathan Cripwell. who counts civil fraud litigation among his areas of expertise.
Other key lawyers:
‘They go to great lengths to explain the legal framework surrounding the issue in question, including the pitfalls, and then work with you to agree a strategy to achieve a satisfactory outcome.‘
‘Have worked with senior associate Claire Moss on a number of occasions who quickly understands the issues and gets to the crux of the matter in question.‘
Harrogate-based firm McCormicks' commercial litigation group 'punches well above its weight'. The 'impressive' Philip Edmondson leads the practice and handles a range of commercial disputes including claims in the sports sector and breach of contract, insolvency and professional negligence disputes. The practice has a particular niche in football, for which managing partner Peter McCormick has a strong reputation.
Other key lawyers:
‘This law firm punches well above its weight.‘
‘Phil Edmondson is a very user-friendly lawyer who is a pleasure to deal with. Peter McCormick has great experience in football-related disputes.‘
‘Peter McCormick is an extremely competent lawyer who has, as a result of his decades of work in the top echelons of English football, and almost unrivalled grasp of not just legal affairs, but human nature and strategy.‘
‘Philip Edmondson, the partner who leads the litigation team, is particularly impressive, able to swiftly identify the core of the problem and devise the best way to overcome it. His work in a defamation action against a national newspaper led to a swift and satisfactory conclusion.‘
The Premier League
Rudding Park Ltd
Leeds United Football Club
GMI Construction Group PLC
Oracle Finance Limited
DFS Furniture Company Limited
Solicitors Indemnity Fund Limited/Legal and Professional Insurance
The Isthmian League (Bostik League)
Lunchbox Theatrical Productions Limited
- Instructed by Solicitors Indemnity Fund in a variety of debt recovery and run-off claims management matters.
- Represented Leeds United Football Club and Marcelo Bielsa in the investigations and eventual charges brought by the FA and EFL respectively after an employee of the club was caught spying on an opposition team’s training session prior to a match.
- Defending Leeds United Football Club and Kiko Casilla in the charge for alleged aggravated breach of FA misconduct rules.
Ramsdens Solicitors LLP
The commercial litigation team at Ramsdens Solicitors LLP is led by property litigation expert Nick Armitage, who took over the role of practice head from Steven Singh, who remains an active member of the practice. Paul Booth provides 'the perfect calming influence' in a range of litigation, while Jeremy Cook focuses on the manufacturing, environmental, health and food sectors. Hilary Garnett attracts praise for her 'sharp intellect and her tactical approach' to employment disputes.
‘A well-established Yorkshire practice with offices in several of the major population centres which enables Ramsdens to offer a comprehensive approach to commercial litigation without the excessive costs associated with the national firms. Reliable and part of the furniture.‘
‘Nick Armitage is a down to earth Yorkshireman who is very approachable to his clients but a formidable foe to his opponents; has an ability to ‘gut’ a case and provide realistic, commercial advice right from the beginning.‘
‘Jordon Kellett – rising star in the firm – an excellent technical legal ability, very sharp mind, and a good client manner.‘
‘The team’s main strength is the ability to take on complex matters and provide the same level of service one would expect from an international firm. It has performed well against others and is known to be on par with top few firms in the north.‘
‘Hilary Garnett has always been our star. She takes a direct no nonsense approach, has a sharp intellect and her tactical approach is the best. Paul Booth is also notable in the way he is able to take on complex matters and get to the core of any issue and bring the matter to a quick conclusion.‘
‘Hilary Garnett is technically excellent, effective and great with clients.‘
‘Paul Booth is a fantastic lawyer who has seen it all and is the perfect calming influence you want in litigation. Would be my first choice litigator if I needed one.‘
‘Old-school proper service backed up by excellent lawyers. They are a match for any supposed top tier team and (as many have discovered) you underestimate them at your peril.‘
Saria (UK) Limited
Expect Distribution Limited
Raworths' dispute resolution team acts for a range of high-net-worth individuals and families in Yorkshire as well as companies in commercial litigation. Practice head Matthew Hill specialises in property disputes while Jonathan Mortimer handles a range of mandates from shareholder and contractual disputes to insurance and professional negligence claims.
Other key lawyers:
‘Long-established and trusted brand in Harrogate and far beyond ‘safe hands’ reputation – small, experienced, and focused team.‘
‘Raworths is a prominent local firm with a long history. While retaining the advantages of profile and reputation as a long-established business they have actively modernised and invested in the development of the firm to enable it to give an individual and up to date service.‘
‘Matthew Hill is very tenacious and knows when to go on the offensive without being overly aggressive or indulging in unnecessary grandstanding; excellent technical legal knowledge; commercially astute – knows exactly how far to push a matter before exploring settlement or, if necessary, battling on to trial; good reassuring manner with clients who feel they’re in safe hands.‘
‘Matthew Hill is a very effective commercial litigator who is very capable of putting forward his client’s legal case and supporting his client’s underlying commercial best interests.‘
Financiere Mademoiselle Desserts
Dishang Cherry Limited/Dishang Imports Limited/Dishang Exports Limited
Weihai Textile Group Import and Export Company Limited
The Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes
Cars on Demand
Zeal Media Limited
Parkmount Estate Company Allerton Limited
Avrox Technologies Limited
The Trustees of the Patrizia Hanover Property Unit Trust
- Acting for a leading entrepreneur in an appeal from the High Court to the Court of Appeal for clarity on whether a party to litigation can be forced against their wishes to take part in a form of alternative dispute resolution.
- Acting for the Dishang Group in a commercial dispute with its former consultant for alleged breach of contract and a claim under the Commercial Agents (Council Directive) Regulations 1993.
- Representing Financiere Mademoiselle Desserts, an international food supplier, in a dispute with a debt collection agency previously instructed to pursue commercial debts.
Since opening in Leeds in 2017, Shoosmiths LLP's litigation services practice has developed particular strength in financial services litigation, white-collar fraud, pensions claims, and restrictive covenant disputes. Matthew Howarth, who has particularly financial services sector expertise, leads the practice alongside Birmingham-based national head of litigation Alex Bishop. Senior associate Emma Lowe is carving out a niche in disputes arising from breaches of restrictive covenants.
Other key lawyers:
Curotec Team Limited
Entrust Pension Limited
3M Pension Trustees Limited
Wellcourt Investments Group SA
PIB Risk Management Limited
Nationwide Specialist Services Limited
- Advising P66 Limited on its response to a Judicial Review challenge brought by Client Earth seeking to challenge the variation of permits granted by the Environment Agency for the operation of its key strategic refinery site in the Humber Estuary.
- Acting for pension scheme trustees in a dispute with former scheme administrators and legal advisers.
- Representing a UK-based client in an investor-state arbitral claim against the United Arab Emirates.
Blacks Solicitors LLP's commercial and civil dispute resolution team is a popular choice for owner-managed businesses and individuals for a range of contentious matters. Practice head Luke Patel's experience spans charity sector disputes, contentious corporate and contractual matters, professional negligence claims and property litigation, while Darren Morgan focuses on shareholder and HMRC disputes relating to tax avoidance schemes.
‘They are a well co-ordinated professional team with commercially minded accessible lawyers who deliver a value service. The partners I have worked with are top drawer. This is a firm that punches its weight alongside its London competitors.‘
‘Blacks have steadily established themselves as a major single office player based in Leeds but with a national and international caseload. The firm appears equally comfortable acting for individuals or large corporates or trusts.‘
‘I have only dealt with Blacks directly myself, however, I have found them to be very good at what they do and always willing to ‘dumb down’ anything so that you can fully understand each process along the way. As I have limited knowledge of legal matters currently, this is really beneficial and has helped me to gain further knowledge just through their explanations and help.‘
‘First rate commercial lawyers with good client skills. I have worked on separate matters with Chris Allen and Luke Patel and both are stand-out. The matters were complex and highly sensitive. One matter required prompt intervention. The outcomes were client beneficial. Chris brought his experience to negotiate and oversee a difficult settlement. Luke was dealing with a matter in the public domain and crafted a positive outcome. The right support lawyers assisted them.‘
‘Luke Patel is experienced, charismatic and tough when he needs to be. He has a wide range of clients and tackles some very knotty issues.‘
P N Home Limited
Home Design International Limited
Durest Beds Limited
- Acting for a client in a complex chancery litigation against their business partner, in which they seeks enforcement of a joint venture agreement by way of a declaratory relief and specific performance.
- Acting for an individual in a dispute concerning the management of a charitable organisation.
- Advising P N Home Limited and Home Design International Limited in a dispute relating to the misrepresentation of services offered by Ryan VAT Systems Limited in relation to overseas VAT registration and payments.
DAC Beachcroft LLP
DAC Beachcroft LLP's commercial litigation team is jointly led by Manchester-based Jan Levinson and Leeds-based Duncan Greenwood who specialises in professional indemnity claims against property professionals, solicitors and insurance brokers. Legal director Tim Pickworth, who has a breadth of commercial litigation expertise including acting in insolvency and fraud litigation and handling retail sector claims, joined from Walker Morris LLP.
Other key lawyers:
York Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Sheffield Children’s Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Lynne Young Associates Limited
University Hospital of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Fullers Foods International plc
Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Ascribe Limited (part of Emis Group PLC)
Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Gordons LLP is known for its retail and food sector expertise. Stephen McVey specialises in IP and media litigation, while Mark Jones handles corporate and commercial disputes and judicial review proceedings. Graeme Davy, who splits his time between the Bradford and Leeds offices, is a name to note for professional negligence claims, real estate disputes and debt recovery work.
Harrowells Solicitors' 'smart, pragmatic and efficient' dispute resolution practice has a strong reputation in agricultural sector litigation. Practice head Simon Black leads the team which includes 'superb litigator' Richard Hugill; both have broad experience including handling contractual, shareholder and property disputes and professional negligence claims.
Other key lawyers:
‘The level of representation is easily on a par with major city-based firms. The ability to deal with complex matters is very high.‘
‘Smart, pragmatic, efficient and a force to be reckoned with.‘
‘Richard Hugill is an excellent lawyer and experienced in complex dispute resolution. He is very hard working and client focused. His team’s ability to provide skilled legal services is very high.‘
‘Richard Hugill is a superb litigator. He is knowledgeable, committed and a good strategist.‘
Tuke House Consulting
- Represented Tuke House Consulting, which provides management consulting services, in a commercial dispute against the subsidiary of US company On The Mark, an international design consultancy.
- Acted for aa SPV of Khalbros Group in contentious matters relating to the redevelopment of a hotel and connected properties in central Leeds.
Metis Law Limited
Leeds-based disputes boutique Metis Law Limited has particular experience in handling disputes arising from corporate and commercial transactions. Fraud-related claims and matters in the financial services and media sectors are also among its areas of expertise. Founder partner Rajat Sharma is a name to note.
The 'excellent' boutique commercial law firm Tyr Law has particular expertise in the financial services sector and also handles professional risk claims, accountancy and tax litigation, judicial reviews and competition disputes. The firm was founded in 2019 by former Schofield Sweeney partners Alistair Kennedy and Matthew Fidler, who both have a breadth of commercial litigation experience. Senior associate Nigel Brook also joined from Schofield Sweeney.
Other key lawyers:
‘Tyr Law are an excellent firm with a broad range of expertise from litigation through to commercial property transactions and are well connected with counsel both in London and outside.‘
‘The partners and solicitors at Tyr Law are well experienced in all aspects of the law and respond quickly and thoroughly to their clients. There is no waiting days for a response as there can be with other practices. In particular, Alistair Kennedy and Nigel Brook are rated very highly.’
Closegate Hotel Group
A Shade Greener Group
APL Management Limited
Beyond Escapes Limited
- Acted for an individual in high-profile international litigation valued at up to £300m relating to the auctioning of Russian Oil assets.
- Represented APL Management in high-value and complex claims arising from a joint venture agreement and involving the purchase of a London property.
- Acted for Beyond Escapes in a fraudulent misrepresentation claim against Lendy.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP's commercial litigation team counts the financial services, manufacturing, public and retail sectors among its industry specialisms. Following Nick Mason's retirement, managing associate Scott Nodder jointly heads up the Leeds practice alongside Newcastle-based Paul Stewart.
‘Excellent commercial litigators, capable of dealing with a wide range of commercial disputes equally well.’