Licensing in Yorkshire And The Humber
With a dedicated licensing practice, Gosschalks provides advice to a range of high-profile national clients in the retail, hotel, pub and gambling sectors. Clare Johnson is a key name for liquor licensing matters while department head Richard Taylor handles alcohol, entertainment and gambling licences.
Other key lawyers:
‘The professional and welcoming approach from Gosschalks is distinctive and sets it apart from other firms in the region and nationally‘.
‘Clare Johnson and Richard Taylor are truly incomparable; their clients don’t have a bad word to say about them‘.
Wm Morrison Supermarkets
William Hill Organisation
Craft Union Pub
T J Morris T/A Home Bargains
- Advised Asda Stores on a major extension of hours project including applying for 24/7 alcohol licences for 90 Asda stores.
- Acted for Ei Group and Marmalade Pub Company in a heavily contested extension of hours application for an iconic LGBTQ+ venue in Soho.
- Advised Morrisons on a project to extend Christmas Eve trading hours.
John Gaunt & Partners
John Gaunt & Partners acts for national clients on a range of high-profile licensing matters and expanded during 2018 with the launch of a new south coast office in Gosport. The practice focuses on the leisure industry, with notable hotel and pub clients. Tim Shield and Michelle Hazlewood jointly lead the practice; Shield is a key name for hotel sector work, and Hazlewood has notable experience advising pub clients. 'Power partner' Christopher Grunert specialises in alcohol, gaming, sexual entertainment and taxi law. Founding partner John Gaunt has stepped down from the partnership and is now a consultant.
Tim Shield; Michelle Hazlewood
‘The one thing that truly sets John Gaunt & Partners apart is the willingness to give time and accessibility. The group goes over and above what would be expected; nothing is too much trouble for them‘.
‘Within the team, all of the partners are professional and exceptional in their field‘.
‘The firm fields a team of fully engaged partners who provide a first-class, specialist service. They know more about their client’s needs than they do themselves! They are approachable, commercial and provide a good-value service‘.
‘Michelle Hazlewood’s knowledge of the industry and personable approach makes her a pleasure to work with‘.
‘Tim Shield is consistently reliable and understands his clients inside out‘.
‘Power partner Christopher Grunert is an excellent solicitor and deals with matters in a professional and fair manner‘.
Marks & Spencer’s
John Lewis & Partners
Goodwood Estate Company
Millennium and Copthorne Hotels
NSK trading as Soul Deli
Black Sheep Brewery
Barnsley Football Club
Preston Football Club
Whitbread (including Premier Inn, Beefeater, Brewers Fayre, Bar + Block)
David Lloyd Leisure
Radisson Hotels UK
James Convenience Retail
QFM Group (Taco Bell)
Market Town Taverns
Sheffield International Venues
We Are Bar Group
- Advised QFM, the sole Taco Bell franchisee for the north of England, on its application for a new Taco Bell restaurant in Newcastle city centre.
- Advised Zx Ventures Ltd, a division of multinational drinks company AB InBev, on the licence for the ‘Goose Island’ bar in Shoreditch.
- Advised Kings College London Students’ Union in connection with the college’s acquisition of the Bush House building on the Strand in Westminster, which involved licensing negotiations relating to the relocation of the student union operations, including bar facilities, to the basement of the building.
- Advised international hotel chain Melia Hotels on the licensing for two new developments in Liverpool and Newcastle.
- Advised Sodexo on licences for events at Strathclyde Country park, as part of the Glasgow 2018 European Championships, and at Hampden National Stadium to facilitate concerts by Beyoncé, Jay-Z and Ed Sheeran.
Specialist licensing and regulatory firm Woods Whur has expertise in alcohol, gambling, taxi licensing, entertainment, planning, health and safety, food safety and regulatory matters. Name partners and founders Andrew Woods and Paddy Whur jointly lead the department, while James Thompson heads up the regulatory team.
Andrew Woods; Paddy Whur
Other key lawyers:
DLA Piper UK LLP's Sheffield-based practice counts institutional clients, commercial operators, educational institutions, cinema chains, restaurants, hotels, casinos and sports stadiums as clients on a national and international level. The team handles pure licensing work while also assisting the firm's corporate due diligence department with the licensing elements of wider corporate transactions. Former regulator Teresa Hitchcock leads the group, which also includes newly promoted partner Alastair Clough.
Other key lawyers:
Sheffield Students Union
The A&S Leisure Group
- Advised a cinema operator on an extension to the areas within the premises for the sale of alcohol, which fell in a cumulative impact zone in London.