With an integrated environment, safety and health group, Squire Patton Boggs offers specialised environmental legislative, regulatory and enforcement advice. The firm has also advised an increasing number of clients on ESG-related issues, including risk and compliance, as well as expanding its chemical regulation expertise. The Birmingham practice, spearheaded by Dave Gordon, works closely with the firm’s Manchester office, which is led by Rob Elvin, who specialises in health, safety and environmental law, with a particular focus on energy and heavy industry. Gordon, who has a doctorate in environmental toxicology, is recognised for his environmental compliance, sustainability and statutory authority advice. Anita Lloyd, a legal director, is noted for her environmental and sustainability experience, covering waste permits, product compliance and chemical regulations. Senior associate Caroline Almond is another key name to note in the Birmingham practice.
Environment in West Midlands
Squire Patton Boggs
Rob Elvin; Dave Gordon
Other key lawyers:
Caroline Almond; Anita Lloyd
Zippo Manufacturing Company
Baxter International Inc
Braskem Netherlands BV
St Francis Group
- Regularly advising Olin Corporation on REACH, in particular advice to facilitate the transfer of the chlorinated solvent division from Olin to SafeChem.
- Undertaking a review and renegotiation of Environment Agency bonds and security arrangements nationally for Taylor Wimpey.
- Advising a global healthcare company on a wide range of environmental and chemical regulatory matters relating to EU and UK operations, including authorisation requirements under REACH, RoHS exemptions and waste shipment.
The regulatory and business defence group at Gateley Legal is well regarded for its capacity to handle high-profile investigations, particularly relating to serious pollution, and trials at both the Magistrates' Court and Crown Court. The practice is spearheaded by Ruth Armstrong, who is recognised for her environmental regulatory experience, evidenced by her engagement in matters involving the Environment Agency and local authority EHO teams. Legal director Kate Oliver specialises in defending clients in environmental investigations and subsequent prosecutions involving an array of regulatory bodies.
Other key lawyers:
Taylor Wimpey Plc
Bellway Homes Plc
Donald Ward Limitd
Certas Energy UK Limited
United Molasses Group
Dr. Oetker (UK) Limited
BioMarsh Environmental Ltd
Grupo Bimbo UK Limited
- Advising a number of FTSE 100/250 developers on their environmental obligations across constructions sites, and providing crisis management support and criminal defence support,
- Acting for the lead consortium developer prosecuted for failing to manage silt issues in surface water run-off for its own activities and the activities of another consortium member.
- Acting for a waste producer concerning 37,000 tonnes of material deposited illegally at a brownfield location, managing the EA investigation and remediation process.
Led by Teresa Hitchcock, DLA Piper has a strong presence in environmental litigation and legislation, focusing on compliance, environmental approvals, waste management, recycling and transportation of dangerous goods. The firm also boasts specialist climate change, emissions and product stewardship teams. Hitchcock, who is based in Sheffield and Birmingham, is noted for her expertise in contaminated land, nuisance disputes and regeneration projects. Senior associate Taryn Jones has broad experience including chemical legislation, UK and EU regime compliance and contaminated land issues.
Other key lawyers:
Tokyo Electron Europe Ltd
- Acted for Tokyo Electron Europe on a multi-jurisdictional project regarding packaging laws and the extent to which the business will be impacted by these moving forward.
- Provided a horizon scanning tracker to Tokyo Electron Europe, covering EHS issues such as climate related disclosures, and packaging EPR.