Project finance and PFI in West Midlands
Gowling WLG is the leading address for clients seeking advice on PFI and PPP projects in the transport, infrastructure, energy, waste and defence sectors. The highly regarded Stephen Kenny, who leads the team nationally, acts as legal adviser for clients such as the Ministry of Defence and Highways England. Another key member of the team in Birmingham is director Dominic Richardson, who specialises in PPP and project transactions.
Other key lawyers:
‘Stephen Kenny is extremely knowledgeable and has managed to simplify our procurement approach, thereby improving our programme and effectively reducing the risk of legal challenge’
‘Stephen is very highly thought-of in the sector’
Ministry of Defence
United States Agency for International Development Power Africa
International Finance Corporation
Government of Kenya
Department of Health
Siemens Project Ventures
Veolia Middle East
Oman Power and Water Procurement Company
Sanctuary Housing Association (Sanctuary Care)
Bacanora Lithium PLC
- Advising Highways England on the procurement of the A303 Amesbury to Berwick Down road/tunnel project.
- Advising Transport for London on the project and property documentation for the new step-free access to Finsbury Park Underground station.
- Advising the Ministry of Defence as sole legal advisor on Project Marshall, a significant PPP to appoint a private sector provider to be responsible for the design, acquisition, installation and delivery of military air traffic management services.
Led by James Larmour, Freeths LLP's practice focuses on advising infrastructure funds and asset management companies on funding and development matters in the energy and education sectors, including the financing and refinancing of energy and infrastructure projects and the procurement of contracts. Waste and renewables industry specialist Kirstin Roberts joined from Gateley Plc in September 2018.
‘Very capable, responsive, engaging, fun to work with, and excellent value for money’
Amber Infrastructure Limited/International Public Partnerships Limited
Engie Services Limited
inspiredspaces Tameside Limited
- Advised Tameside on a number of construction projects following the Carillion insolvency.
- Advised an infrastructure fund managed by Amber Infrastructure on the refinancing of five PFI projects.
- Advised Amber Infrastructure on the acquisition of Carillion’s interests in six Local Education Partnerships.
- Advised on a £100m street-lighting PFI refinancing.
Pinsent Masons LLP has expertise in handling work relating to PPPs in the waste sector, contracting arrangements in the rail market, alternative funding sources and development projects. Practice head Didar Dhillon, who specialises in PPP projects across the energy and waste sectors, works alongside Nigel Blundell, who leads much of the practice's most important work, as well as senior associates Gemma Glasspole and Oliver Mangiapane.
Cardiff City Council
Tees Valley Combined Authority
Hitachi Zosen AG
South East London Combined Heat & Power Limited
- Advising Cardiff Capital Region on the establishment of the £1.2bn Cardiff City Deal, the initial investment project and the subsequent formulation of an evergreen fund structure.
- Advising the Council on a wide portfolio of innovative energy generation, distribution and efficiency projects designed to help reduce carbon, generation long term revenue streams and alleviate fuel poverty for local community.
- Advising Amber Infrastructure on their investment into and formulation of ESCo solution for a significant phased residential development scheme in Clapham, London.
- Advising FCC Environment on the development of the new merchant energy from waste facility in Lostock, Cheshire.
- Advised the Council on the development of their new Aquatics Centre which will take centre stage in the forthcoming Birmingham Commonwealth Games.