Energy in West Midlands
The highly regarded energy team at Gowling WLG covers the whole spectrum of sector-related matters, including transactional, regulatory, commercial, real estate and technology issues. Practice head John Cooper specialises in energy regulation, while Gus Wood often acts for developers, offtakers and funders on power purchase agreements and other trading arrangements. Former practice head Derek Goodban left the firm in January 2019 to join National Grid.
Other key lawyers:
Gus Wood; Daniel Wood; Helen Emmerson
‘The team has a very strong all-round grasp of the sector on the transaction and debt front’
‘The team is customer-focused, cost effective and manage time well within agreed budgets’
‘Very good reputation and very good quality lawyers in their team’
‘Helen Emmerson is responsive, efficient and takes time to understand the issues’
Alt HAN Co
Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
E.ON Climate & Renewables
Gas and Electricity Markets Authority (Ofgem)
Northern Ireland Authority for Utility Regulation
Smart Energy Code Company
Squeaky Clean Energy
Wales & West Utilities
- Has advised the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy since 2010 on its £11bn programme of installing smart meters in all domestic and small business premises in Great Britain.
- Acting for Infinis on all aspects of its programme to develop gas-fired electricity peaking projects.
- Advising Ofgem on its new multi-party gas and electricity code, the Retail Energy Code.
- Advising SmartestEnergy on the adoption of Origami Energy’s flexible energy management technology platform.
- Advising AB Ports on the development of solar projects.
Noted for its real estate expertise, Pinsent Masons LLP has a strong track record of work in energy and infrastructure projects as well as real estate transactions, spanning wind, waste-to-energy and battery storage matters. The team's client roster includes national and international clients in the public and private sector, often in relation to PPPs.
Didar Dhillon; Kultar Khangura; Satwinder Ubhi
Other key lawyers:
Ian Stewart; Arminder Dhillon
Viridor Waste Management
Hitachi Zosen Inova
Westminster City Council
- Advising Amber Infrastructure on their investment into and formulation of an Energy Service Company solution for a residential development scheme in Clapham, London.
- Advising Knowsley Council on the development of a ‘green’ large scale industrial park which will be serviced via a district energy network providing competitive heat and power to the anchor tenants.
- Advising FCC Environment on the development of the new merchant energy from waste facility in Cheshire.
- Advising Peterborough City Council on a wide portfolio of innovative energy generation, distribution and efficiency projects designed to help reduce carbon, generate long term revenue streams and alleviate fuel poverty for the local community.
- Assisting Uniper UK Ironbridge with the sale of the Ironbridge Power Station to Harworth Estates.
Shakespeare Martineau LLP covers a wide range of energy matters, including corporate transactions, infrastructure and regeneration projects, insolvency and regulatory work. Advising retail energy suppliers is a particular strength of the team, which also handles an increasing amount of debt recovery work. Andrew Whitehead is highly regarded in the sector.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is able to provide pragmatic and commercial advice, treading that fine line of protecting your interests as their client while keeping transactions moving forwards.’
‘Andrew Whitehead provides clear and often innovative advice on complex transactions with an understanding of the commercial concerns that are often forefront for businesses.’
‘Great industry knowledge – very pragmatic.’
Robin Hood Energy
Greenstar Energy/Hudson Energy
- Putting in place the complex contractual arrangements for the ground-breaking Nemo Link subsea infrastructure project between the UK and Belgium
- Acting for energy supplier Iresa regarding an Ofgem investigation and subsequent insolvency
- Acting for Coventry-based First Utility, a subsidiary of Shell, in its acquisition of the customers of small supplier Usio following that company’s insolvency
- Assisted longstanding client National Grid in a major service and contract review for procuring balancing services.
- Advised Green Star Energy on its acquisition of customers of insolvent supplier National Gas and Power
The energy team at Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP handles contentious and non-contentious matters relating to planning, development and corporate transactions in the water, gas and electricity sectors, and of late has been taking on more work for institutional investors. UK head of water David Jones focuses on the energy and water infrastructure sectors in relation to construction and engineering procurement.
CGN Europe Energy
Thames Water Group
- Advised Severn Trent and Dee Valley Water on the drafting and negotiation of their new framework agreements relating to the procurement of clean and wastewater treatment works and pipe networks.
- Acted for the shareholders of HKS Holdings on the sale of its business to Harvest Energy Retail.
- Advising a joint venture between National Grid and Energinet on the drafting and negotiation of the construction contracts for the 1400MW Viking Link Interconnector Project involving the construction of an electricity transmission link between mainland UK and Denmark.
- Represented RWE Generation in connection with the application for a development consent order for a proposed port terminal at the former Tilbury Power Station.
- Represented Community Windpower in respect of its appeal against service of an enforcement notice in respect of alleged breach of condition in the carrying out of works in respect of the approved wind farm in East Ayrshire.
Traditionally strong in the renewable sector, Freeths LLP recently increased its offering with the October 2018 hire of waste sector expert Kirstin Roberts, who joined as a director from Gateley Plc. The team regularly acts for developers, energy suppliers, operators and investors on a variety of contentious and non-contentious matters, including renewable energy projects, acquisitions and disposals, energy supply and offtaker agreements. Former partner Catherine Burke left in May 2018 to join client Metka-EGN as general counsel.
Jason Richards, Kirstin Roberts, James Larmour
‘Freeths has experience and knowledge in the energy sector, with the breadth of non-energy specific specialists to cover our needs from contracts to trademarks.’
‘Jason Richards has been a great help in both offering advice and connecting us with specialists in other fields.’
‘Kirstin Roberts is a proactive and pragmatic solicitor who cares about the results of her work and is great to work with.’
‘Very capable, responsive, engaging, fun to work with, and excellent value for money.’
‘Willing and able to accommodate commercial reality alongside legal ‘best practice’ in a way that makes life much more manageable.’
Clean Earth Group
Voltalia UK Limited
Voltalia Portugal S.A.
Sovereign Energy Partners LLP
Orbital Power Ltd
Hybrid Energy Solutions
RE Projects Development
Reliance Energy Limited
Travis Perkins plc
Tarmac Trading Limited
Derbyshire Dales County Council
Envirotech Energy Solutions
Solar Power Inc
The National Exhibition Centre
Sowden Group Limited
Onsite Energy Projects
Nottingham Trent University
Aurora Energy Research
- Advising Voltalia Portugal on an EPC contract to design, supply and commission a 7.5MW solar PV plant in Burundi, and advising on associated risks related to an existing Power Purchase Agreement between the Burundian employer and a local offtaker.
- Advised Clean Earth Group on the restructuring and refinancing of eight onshore wind projects, having previously advised the client on the acquisition of the projects.
- Advising Reliance Energy on various side agreements associated with a dispute concerning the sale of a developed site under a long-term agreement for the development of flexible power generation projects.
Harrison Clark Rickerbys
Real estate specialist Harriet Murray Jones leads the energy practice at Harrison Clark Rickerbys, while also advising on leases and grid connections as well as planning and construction matters arising from energy projects.
Harriet Murray Jones
Zyda Law's energy practice handles a range of energy mandates, with a prominent focus on matters relating to renewable and nuclear energy as well as energy-from-waste and gas.