Transport: rail and road - finance in United States
King & Spalding LLP's team is led out of the Charlotte office by Jason Huff, who heads the transportation finance group and has extensive experience of a variety of lease structures, lending transactions, and rolling stock acquisition and financing transactions. Another key figure is Christopher Buchanan, who focuses on financing and acquisition/disposition of transportation assets including railcars, locomotives, and chassis, among others. Senior associate Derek Marks and New York-based associate Mickey Jett are also recommended; the duo acts for financial institutions, lenders and lessors in transportation finance transactions, particularly those involving business aircraft and rail equipment.
Wells Fargo Rail Corporation
Credit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank
RBC Capital Markets
- Advised Helm-Pacific Leasing, and its general partners, Helm Pacific Corporation (a subsidiary of Wells Fargo Rail Corporation) and Union Pacific Venture Leasing, in connection to the closing of a secured revolving credit facility agented by Branch Banking and Trust Company.
Vedder Price's Chicago-based transportation team acts for large international financial institutions and lessors in high-value public and private financing deals. The team is led by John Bycraft, a go-to figure for lessors, lenders, and government agencies, among others, in domestic and international leasing deals and debt financing of rail assets. Michael Draz focuses on securitizations, cross-border operating leases, portfolio acquisitions and divestitures. Other names to note are Clay Thomas and Jeffrey Veber, who have experience of sale-leaseback transactions, operating leases, export credit agency-supported financings, and mortgage financings.
Export Development Canada
National Steel Car
- Advised ITE Management on the financing of its acquisition of railcar manufacturer American Railcar Industries.
- Advised Trinity Industries Leasing Company, as issuer, on theTRL 2019, Series 2019-1, securitization.
- Advised National Steel Car on a term loan revolving credit agreement with Helaba.
- Represented Trinity as servicer and insurance manager in the NP SPE IX railcar securitization transaction sponsored by Napier Park.
At Mayer Brown, the transportation department falls under the wider global projects, infrastructure investment and asset finance practices. The key figure in the New York office is George Miller, who specializes in international and domestic finance and leasing in road and rail infrastructure space. Barbara Goodstein is a name to note for commercial lending deals, structured finance and restructuring exercises.
Other key lawyers: