Özdirekcan Dündar Senocak Attorney Partnership has an association with top French firm Gide Loyrette Nouel, and advises a number of major insurers, including French, Swiss, Turkish, and Dutch clients, reflecting the firm's multi-jurisdictional capabilities and expertise across the sector. The team handles transactions, the setup and operation of Turkish subsidiaries, and the negotiation of distribution arrangements, also advises major banks on their insurance products. An area of growing strength for the firm is bancassurance negotiations and structuring. The team is overseen by Arpat Şenocak, an experienced corporate adviser with a strong focus on the insurance sector.
Insurance in Turkey
Özdirekcan Dündar Senocak Attorney Partnership
BNP Paribas Cardif
Helvetia Swiss Insurance Company
Jardine Lloyd Thompson Group
NN Hayat ve Emeklilik
Orange Sigorta Aracılık Hizmetleri
Reinsurance Group of America
- Advising BNP Paribas Cardif on the negotiation and structuring of a bancassurance deal with Turkish TEB Bank.
- Advising Groupama Holding Filiales et Participations on the sale of its historic participation representing 10% of the total share capital of Güneş Sigorta to a subsidiary of Turkish Sovereign Wealth Fund.
- Advising AXA’s Turkish subsidiaries in relation to negotiation and structuring of distribution relationships with several Turkish banks.
Erçin Bilgin Bektasoglu has a strong focus on insurance, particularly in the field of transport, and has strong relationships with major insurers in the London market and across Europe. The team is regularly instructed by insurance firms in London to assist on significant Turkish-domiciled matters. The firm advises on high-value insurance claims in the aviation, shipping, and hospitality industries, to name a few, and offers sector regulatory expertise in its focus areas. Feyzi Erçin Burcu Çelikçapa Bilgin and Dilek Bektasoglu Sanli lead the team, which comprises specialist insurance lawyers with a strong collection of major clients.
Feyzi Erçin; Burcu Çelikçapa Bilgin; Dilek Bektaşoğlu Sanlı
‘Very quick response time. They were able to provide advice and assistance at very short notice.’
Clyde & Co
HDI Global SE
- Advising various London reinsurers on two major and separate various cases relating to hotels and ports that are in respect of Covid-19 based coverage disputes.
- Advising FM Global in respect of property and business interruption claims, as well as recourse options, in respect of a major fire at a Turkish factory.
- Advising Chubb European Group SE in a policy review of an international D&O insurance program of the German Wirecard AG. This program consists of a German master contract and various local policies, including in Turkey.
Gün + Partners is heavily active in the insurance sector, advising a variety of international insurance and banking clients on insurance and reinsurance, M&A and corporate issues, and in high-value disputes relating to insurance claims and accidents. The team handles work relating to construction projects, bank loans, and M&A transactions, as well as international litigation and arbitration. Pelin Baysal left the firm.
- Advising the lead reinsurer of 24 other reinsurers on the two tunnel collapses occurred in North Marmara Highway.
- Advising reinsurers on two insurance claims under Construction All Risk policy arising from different failures, experienced by different insured persons during the construction of Star Refinery construction project, the largest private sector investment in Turkey.
- Representing an American insurance company in ICC arbitration proceedings related to a space and insurance dispute against a state-owned entity.
Led by insurance specialist Abdulkadir Sahan, Sahan Law Office advises an array of international insurers (including major names such as Zurich and Chubb) brokers, and public authorities on high-value claims, disputes, and corporate tax issues. The firm acts in contentious insurance-related disputes, insurance sector and portfolio M&A, as well as reinsurance matters and regulatory issues. Sector focuses include maritime, construction, retail, and e-commerce.
‘Flexible approach, solution-oriented work, strong network and communication skills, always accessible.’
‘Its most important contribution is its capacity to offer the most appropriate solutions by looking from different angles.’
‘Personally, I find they are very open to answer our questions and also for our business.‘
TDB Insurance Brokerage
Katılım Life and Pension
Sigortayeri Insurance Brokerage
Nasco Insurance Brokerage
VDF Insurance Agency
Andıç Eriş Attorney Partnership
Andıç Eriş Attorney Partnership is an insurance and disputes boutique, which advises major Turkish companies, including constructors, energy companies, and insurance brokers, on insurance claims of significant value, and represents them in litigation. These include accidents, construction-related issues, and employment issues. The team is led by Ayşegül Andıç, an experienced insurance lawyer with in-house experience at major insurance companies and Mete Can Eriş, who specialises in insurance frameworks and regulatory compliance matters for insurance industry clients.
Ayşegül Andıç; Mete Can Eriş
Kalehan Energy Group
Kuzey Marmara Otoyolu
Liberty Specialty Markets
Koalay.com Insurance Brokers
- Represented Kalehan Energy in resolution of an insurance claim arising from the loss occurring during the construction of a hydroelectric power plant resulting in $16m settlement.
- Representing Kuzey Marmara Otoyolu against the insurers in a construction loss claim of approximately $50mn.
- Advising Liberty Specialty Markets on claims arising from the employers’ liability policies and control and advise the reinsurer and the local insurers regarding the claims.
Balcioglu Selçuk Ardiyok Keki expanded its share of insurance-focused work with the arrival of senior associate Ece Eşkinat Çakırel from Gide Loyrette Nouel in 2019. This has seen the firm increase both its insurance sector client base and its expertise in insurance-related work. The team largely supports international corporate and investment clients with negotiation and renewal of insurance policies, most commonly D&O products. The team is overseen by Doğan Eymirlioğlu, who has extensive experience in the corporate and insurance sectors, acting for a number of global insurers. Semih Sander regularly acts on maritime insurance claims for P&I clubs and shipping companies.
Other key lawyers:
Ece Eşkinat Çakırel; Semih Sander
Maxis Private Equity
İş Private Equity
- Advising Maxis Private Equity on D&O insurance policies for the client, including affiliated group companies
- Advising Bilkent Holding on the renewal of D&O policies.
- Advising Club Jolly on the renewal and negotiation of D&O policies.
Durukan Hukuk Burosu supports insurance sector clients in corporate restructuring and operational matters, alongside representing in a number of high-value claims, including in the port sector, and relating to environmental damage. Insurance disputes are another key area of the firm's offering, with the team being led by accomplished corporate advisors and litigators Mahmut Barlas, Kerem Karabuc, and Nedim Durukan.
Mahmut Barlas; Kerem Karabucak; Nedim Durukan
Allianz Insurance Turkey
Allianz Hayat Emeklilik
Allianz Yasam Emeklilik
Allianz Worldwide Partners France
Anadolu Yasam Emeklilik
Eureko Insurance Turkey
HDI Insurance Turkey
Mapfre Insurance Turkey
MAY Group Turkey
Preminen Price Comparison UK
Celltrion Healthcare Turkey
Den-Ar Marine and Ocean Research
Zurich Insurance Turkey
- Advised on the corporate restructuring of Preminen Price Comparison Holdings UK.
- Representing Zurich Insurance UK under a complex reinsurance policy coverage issue, a subrogation claim in the value of $2.5m against the constructors of BOTAS. and under a defence claim regarding an environmental pollution related to a petroleum pipeline rupture.
- Representing Anadolu Insurance in a $400m claim relating to a port collision in Northern Turkey.
Hergüner Bilgen Özeke advises insurance sector clients on a wide variety of issues, including corporate governance and structuring, establishment of Turkish operations, customer data protection compliance, and transactions between insurance and pension fund clients. The firm is also active in emerging insurance products, notably advising Sompo International on warranty and indemnity insurance relating to an acquisition. The team is overseen by Tolga Danışman, who regularly represents insurance companies in commercial litigation, alongside corporate partner Kayra Üçer. Ufuk Yalçın handles employment matters for insurance clients.
Tolga Danışman; Kayra Üçer
Other key lawyers:
Vienna Insurance Group
Norton Rose Fulbright (for AIG)
- Assisting Vienna Insurance Group in general corporate matters and employment law.
- Assisted Sompo International with warranty & indemnity insurance for the purchaser of an acquisition.
KN & PARTNERS specialises in insurance arbitration and litigation, advising insurers and a number of fleet sector companies on insurance claims relating to damage and road accidents. The team also advises a number of insurance and wealth funds on operational matters, including corporate issues. The practice is led by Mehmet Burak Küçükislamoğlu , İbrahim Can Narin and Meryem İpeklioğlu.
Mehmet Burak Küçükislamoğlu; İbrahim Can Narin; Meryem İpeklioğlu
Atako Destek Araç
Altur Turi̇zm Servi̇s
Si̇xt Rent A Car
Fevzi̇ Gandur Loji̇sti̇k
Ekol Otomoti̇v Petrol Nakli̇yat
Gökhan Enkür oversees the insurance practice at Pelister Atayilmaz Enkur Law Office, which advises clients including insurers and pension companies, insurance brokers, and support service providers. The team handles a range of corporate issues, most notably transactions and post-transactional regulatory filings, establishing insurance operations in Turkey, and advising on compliance with non-admitted insurance activities.
‘Attentive, a high degree of meticulousness.‘
‘PAE law Office offers a sophisticated service with all partners demonstrating high expertise.‘
‘Gökhan Enkur is a trustworthy professional, building long term dependable business relationships.‘
Cigna Finans Emeklilik (Pension and Life)
Cigna Turkey Life
Lockton Overseas Limited
Omni Insurance Brokerage
Integra Insurance Brokerage
Guy Carpenter (Marsh & McLennan Group Companies) Insurance Brokerage
- Advised Lockton Overseas in relation to its existing joint venture in Omni Turkey and the corporate steps within the scope of the parties’ post-completion obligations.
- Advised Cigna Corporation and Cigna Finans in relation to Cigna Group’s $67bn acquisition of Express Scripts and the post-closing filings with the Turkish regulator.
- Represented Cigna Corporation in negotiations with QNB Finansbank for amendments to their existing joint ventureagreements related to Cigna Finans.
TILEGAL - TOPDEMIR INANDIOGLU KOMUC LAW OFFICE represents insurers in claims relating to shipping, including cargo damage, ship breakdown and collisions, and contract breaches. Outside of the transport sphere, the firm focuses on other contentious issues, including recourse proceedings and concordatum disputes. The team is led by Savaş İnandioglu and Cem Topdemir, respectively an experienced insurance litigator and commercial adviser.
Savas Inandioglu; Cem Topdemir
Mapfre Insurance Turkey
HDI Insurance Turkey
AXA Insurance Turkey
Royal Sun Alliance Insurance Group
Eureko Insurance Turkey
Zurich Insurance Turkey
AIG Insurance Turkey
Allianz Insurance Spain
- Advised HDI Insurance as insusers of the aluminium hydroxide carried on a vessel that had broken down off Constanta during her voyage to Turkey.
- Advised HDI Insurance as insurers of a cargo of soya beans which were badly damaged by insufficient ventiliation aboard their cargo ship.
- Representing Royal Sun Alliance in settlement negotiations relating to a recourse claim.
Yavuz, & Uyanik & Akalin handles contentious matters for insurance clients with regards to a wide range of products, including workplace insurance, maritime accidents, theft, and agriculture. The team also advises on the contentious elements of insurance sector transactions. The team is led by Mehmet Selim Yavuz and Can Hasan Yılgür.
Mehmet Selim Yavuz; Can Hasan Yılgür