Firms in the Spotlight Commercial, corporate and M&A
Sengün & Partners Attorney Partnership
Celebrating its 30th anniversary, Şengün & Partners provides agile solutions in the full range of commercial, corporate and M&A matters including IPOs, private equity, corporate compliance, risk management and takeovers via its offices in Istanbul, Izmir, London and Vienna. The firm has provided services for large media and entertainment companies, construction companies, food & beverage …View Profile...
KILINÇ LAW & CONSULTING
Kılınç Law & Consulting provides legal services across both domestic and international areas. M&A department is one of the more active departments our firm and due to the extent of the work we do in the field, the multinational aspect of our work and our overall expertise in other areas, such as energy law, project …View Profile...
ADMD/Mavioglu & Alkan Law Office
Corporate and M&A is the largest practice at ADMD and the firm offers a very wide range of services. Lawyers of ADMD have abundant knowledge for drafting and assessing contracts and providing legal support. The firm offers a unique protective approach and refrains from ‘over-lawyering’ in contract drafting and negotiations and its experience in contract …View Profile...
Commercial, corporate and M&A in Turkey
Balcıoğlu Selçuk Ardıyok Keki has a standout reputation in domestic and cross-border M&A, private equity transactions, foreign direct investments, joint ventures and corporate restructurings. In addition, other areas of strength include commercial contracts, franchising and privatisations. Its team, which is led by Galip Selcuk, generates work from clients in sectors such as retail, manufacturing, e-commerce, food and beverage and private equity. Selim Keki is another key figure, as is Kağan Dora, who was part of a group which joined from Cigdemtekin Cakirca Aranci Law Firm.
‘The firm is on top of the ever-changing legal environment in Turkey and is able to provide commercial and practical advice in a challenging country’.
‘Galip Selcuk is very easy to work with and provides clear guidance where needed’.
‘Galip is able to focus on the real issues of a deal and to provide solutions to problems’.
König & Bauer
Turkven Private Equity
Yemeksepeti (Deliveryhero Turkey)
- Advised CK Holdings on the €6.2bn acquisition of MagnetiMarelli Holding S.p.A from Fiat, Chrysler Automobiles Italy S.p.A.
- Advised Upfield B.V on its €6.3bn acquisition of Unilever’s spreads business.
Esin Attorney Partnership, Member of Baker & McKenzie International undertakes a mix of cross-border M&A, tender offers, de-listings of public companies and advises on the protection of minority shareholders. It also demonstrates strong capabilities in joint ventures, privatisations, asset transfers and outbound investments by Turkish conglomerates. Its client roster comprises of entities from industries such as engineering, manufacturing, healthcare, financial services and transportation. Eren Kurşun is the head of the team, which includes İsmail Esin.
Doğan Şirketler Grubu Holding A.Ş. (Doğan Group)
Modanisa Elektronik Mağazacılık ve Tic. A.Ş (Modanisa)
DSM Grup Danismanlik Iletisim ve Satis Ticaret A.Ş (Trendyol)
Avicennia Capital (Subsidiary of Khazanah Nasional Berhad)
Oyak Group (Ordu Yardımlaşma Kurumu)
Kasap Family (the founders and owners of Ofçay)
SOCAR Turkey Petrol Enerji Dağıtım Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş.
Lotte Advanced Materials Co., Ltd
Altınyağ Kombinaları A.Ş.
SOCAR Turkey Enerji A.Ş.
ICA IC İÇTAŞ ASTALDI
Nusret Gökçe, Nusmit Yiyecek Icecek Gida Pazarlama Tic. A.S.
Brookfield Capital Partners LLC
Cargill Tarım ve Gıda San. A.Ş.
- Acting for Nusret on the €46.5m acquisition of Doğuş Group’s subsidiary owning Park Hyatt Istanbul – Macka Palas hotel in Istanbul.
- Acted for Oyak Group (Ordu Yardımlaşma Kurumu) on the $940m sale of a minority stake in Oyak Cement.
- Acted for Brookfield on its proposed $13.2bn acquisition of JCI’s power solutions business, including shares held in Karat Guc A.S. in Turkey.
GKC Partners (in professional association with White & Case)
GKC Partners (in professional association with White & Case) has a strong M&A practice, as is illustrated by its work for clients across a multitude of industries. Led by Emre Özşar, the team is active in areas such as energy, financial services, technology and retail, among others. It handles public company M&A, private equity transactions and provides other Turkish law advice to international businesses. The firm's transactional capabilities are enhanced by its ability to offer in-house support on related tax and financing issues. Ceylan Kara left the firm.
British United Provident Association (BUPA)
Greenbrier Companies, Inc.
Mayhoola for Investments SPC
Hanwha Q Cells
- Acted for Eaton Capital Unlimited Company on the $214m acquisition of a majority shareholding in Ulusoy Elektrik İmalat Taahhüt ve Ticaret A.Ş.
- Acted for Mayhoola for Investments LCC on its $405.3m purchase of 43.9% of Boyner Perakende ve Tekstil Yatırımları A.Ş., a company listed at Borsa İstanbul, from Boyner Holding A.Ş, increasing its stake in the company to over 98%.
- Acting for Gama Holding on the group-wide $800m restructuring and refinancing of Gama Holding A.Ş., and its affiliates as well as sales of assets and companies.
Hergüner Bilgen Özeke, which is notably strong in cross-border M&A, works closely with foreign law firms in large and complex deals. It also advises clients on a standalone basis and generates work from entities in industries such as technology, telecoms, banking and real estate. In addition, it has been increasingly active in corporate transactions involving the e-commerce sector. Ümit Hergüner's M&A experience is complemented by his knowledge about governance issues and post-closing organisational matters. Hergüner jointly leads the group with Kayra Üçer, Mert Oğuzülgen, energy sector expert Deniz Tuncel and Ufuk Yalçın.
‘Quick and responsive, high quality legal advice and broad area of expertise’.
‘Helpful and responsive, to-the-point legal advice and good value for money’.
‘Strong negotiators and good communicators’.
Greif IP&S International
- Acted for Chinese internet giant Alibaba on the $728m acquisition of a majority stake in Trendyol.
- Acted for Telia Co. on the €352.9m acquisition of Turkcell’s stake in Fintur.
- Acted for Liberty Mutual Insurance on the sale of its Turkish entity, Liberty Sigorta A.Ş.
Kolcuoglu Demirkan Koçakli covers all aspects of M&A, and also provides support on related areas, such as corporate governance, regulatory compliance, data protection, anti-bribery and anti-corruption matters. Its ability to provide an end-to-end user service sees it act for clients in sectors such as insurance, pharmaceuticals, fintech, financial services, energy and real estate. Umut Kolcuoglu, who co-heads the team with Serhan Koçaklı and Begüm Inceçam, assists clients with M&A, privatisations and joint ventures. Bihter Bozbay has a wealth of experience acting for private equity clients and strategic investors. Begüm Inceçam and recently promoted partner İnci Karcılıoğlu are other key figures in the group.
‘Employees always accessible and ready to assist’.
‘Whole team consists of diverse team members with various strengths’.
‘In-depth industry knowledge, accessible, great communication skills, they value team work and all work is delivered on time’.
‘They are very diligent and have a pro-deal attitude’.
‘A hard working team’.
‘All in all, the legal service that we have been obtaining from KDK has always been top notch’.
‘Mr. Umut Kolcuoğlu is one of the most competent lawyers amongst all the top ranked counsels in the business’.
‘KDK’s attorneys are super professional, capable, caring and provide effective legal solutions’.
Mediterra Capital Partners (Mediterra Private Equity)
Iyzico Payment Services
True Value Capital Partners
Turkven Private Equity
Sedes Holding / Gratis
Propak Ambalaj / Bedminster Capital
LR Health & Beauty Systems
The Boston Consulting Group (BCG)
Soul of Japan
- Advising Iyzico and its shareholders (Barbaros Serdar Ozbugutu, Tahsin Isin, 212 Capital Partners I Coöperatief U.A., Beenos Asia PTE LTD., Pahicle Invest GmbH, Endeavor Catalyst, Inc., Endeavor Catalyst I L.P., International Finance Corporation, Vostok Emerging Finance Ltd. and Amadeus IV Digital Prosperity LP) on the $165m transfer of majority shares in Iyzico to MIH PayU B.V.
- Advised True Value Capital Partners S.A. on the ₺375m acquisition of coach and midibus manufacturer Temsa.
- Advised Elif Holding’s (parent company of Elif Plastic, a global supplier of flexible packaging solutions) shareholders on the sale of 100 % of the company’s shares.
Paksoy is active in a wide variety of corporate transactions, including M&A, minority investments and spin-offs. One name to note is Elvan Aziz, whose deal execution experience sees her act for sellers, strategic buyers and private equity clients. Elsewhere, the team also generates a significant amount of commercial contracts work; its expertise in this space includes outsourcing, licensing, distribution, agency and franchise agreements. Antitrust expert Togan Turan, IT and IP specialist Stéphanie Beghe Sonmez and recently promoted partner Selin Barlın Aral jointly lead the team with Aziz. Counsel Nazlı Bezirci is also recommended.
‘Strong expertise in insurance M&A’.
‘Pragmatic but sustainable approach, very good knowledge in Turkish M&A and Insurance market’.
‘Sera Somay has a good strategic approach with a very good knowledge of the Turkish M&A market’.
‘Nazli Bezirci provides an outstanding performance, is always available and has very good drafting skills’.
‘The team has a strong knowledge of the market and has deep expertise to advise its clients’.
‘Stéphanie Beghe Sönmez was very supportive and client oriented during our transaction, she managed her team smoothly and promptly involved colleagues from other practices when required’.
Sberbank of Russia
SECOM and Çalık Holding
Dow Chemical Company
- Advising Sberbank on the $3.2bn sale of its shares in DenizBank A.Ş. to Emirates NDB Bank PJSC.
- Advising PayU on the $165m proposed acquisition of Turkish payment services company Iyzico.
- Advised Ulusoy family, on the circa $214m sale of Turkish electricity appliances and transformer manufacturer Ulusoy Elektrik to Eaton Capital.
Çakmak Attorney Partnership’s corporate practice is jointly led by Zeynep Çakmak in Istanbul and Ankara-based Naz Bandik Hatipoglu, and handles a wide range of Turkish law matters for domestic and international clients. The team's experience includes M&A, joint ventures, the drafting and negotiation of shareholders’ agreements, and share purchase agreements. Clients include Turkish and multinational businesses, with a particular focus on the energy, mining, oil and infrastructure sectors.
‘The strength of the team comes from supporting each other, communicating well, and doing their share’.
‘The team can accomplish their goals within in a limited time period and/or targeted schedule’.
Rönesans and Sonatrach
China Railway Rolling Stock Corp
Boeing International Corporation
Uni-Mar Enerji Yatırımları A.Ş.
Western Union Company
Gazprom Schweiz AG
- Acting for Crossover Capital on a sale of shares in Universal Wind Enerji Elektrik Üretim A.Ş.
- Assisting China Railway Rolling Stock Corp (CRRC) with general corporate issues associated with its high-speed driverless train project in Istanbul.
- Advising Boeing International on all of its corporate matters in Turkey.
Akol Law is adept at handling domestic and cross-border transactions for buy and sell-side clients. Its multifaceted practice excels in M&A, minority investments, spin-offs, joint ventures, and business and asset transfers. Also notable is that the firm is able to offer expertise in related areas, such as finance, real estate and construction, regulatory and dispute resolution. Meltem Akol is the head of the team, which was strengthened by the arrivals of Tuğçe Tatari and Ömer Gökhan Özmen from GKC Partners (in professional association with White & Case) and YaziciLegal respectively.
Shareholders of Betek Boya (Gözde Akpınar, DAW SE and other minority Turkish shareholders)
Venture Capital Bank BSC
First Energy Bank
British American Tobacco
- Acted for Gözde Akpınar, DAW SE and other minority shareholders on the ₺1.4bn sale of Betek Boya to Nippon Paint.
- Acted for Sovos Compliance on the acquisition of e-delivery note and e-invoicing solutions provider Foriba.
- Acted for Venture Capital Bank and First Energy Bank on the acquisition of a 30% stake in Oba Makarna.
Moroglu Arseven handles every stage of the M&A process for clients, including post-merger and post-acquisition issues. In addition, it provides assistance with venture capital and private equity investments, establishing joint ventures and strategic alliances. It also offers support in ancillary areas, such as tax, competition and employment. Reflective of the firm's market presence, it acts for clients in a number of sectors, including life sciences, financial services, industrial production, packaging, media and ICT. The team is jointly led by Benan Arseven, Seyfi Moroğlu and Burcu Tuzcu Ersin.
‘Moroglu Arseven showed high professionalism and experience while handling the matters entrusted to them’.
‘They were swift in their support and very meticulous’.
‘They have high negotiating skills and an important knowledge in cross-border transactions’.
‘Both Benan Arseven, partner, and Hazal Baydar, associate, were available at all times to cater to our legal requirements and requests’.
‘They have carried out exceptional work and provided excellent support throughout the transaction and still adequately support the client in its day-to-day legal requirements following the closing of the transaction’.
‘Great team with commercial understanding as well as legal know-how’.
‘Resourceful in problem solving’.
- Advised 212 Capital Partners on the exit of Iyzico.
- Acted for Insider on primary (capital subscription) and secondary (share sale) investment of Sequoia Capital, a major US-based venture capital fund. Other existing investors (Wamda Capital and Öncü Girişim) also joined the primary investment round.
- Advised May-Agro on the sale of 35% shares to an agribusiness conglomerate in Mauritius.
CIFTCI Law Firm assists clients with cross-border M&A, venture capital and private equity investments, restructurings, joint ventures and regulatory issues. It generates mandates from conglomerates and international companies in the financial services, consumer, energy and infrastructure, pharmaceuticals, real estate and defence industries. Itır Sevim-Çiftçi is a name to note, as is Umut Ozdogan, who was promoted to senior associate.
‘Very professional, approachable, response with short notice and attention to detail’.
‘Deniz Gocuk is always responsive and gives super fast advice’.
‘Itır Çiftçi and Deniz Göcük individually and jointly a remarkable outstanding and sustainable legal competence, experience and reliability’.
EWE AG – EWE Turkey
Equinor Turkey (formerly Statoil)
- Advised EWE AG on the sale of its energy business in Turkey, including Bursagaz and Kayserigaz, its gas distribution network; electricity and gas trading company EWE Enerji, service provider Company Enervis and telecom business Millenicom to SOCAR.
- Acted as Turkish legal counsel to Emirates NBD, Dubai’s largest bank, on its $3.2bn acquisition of of Denizbank, the fifth largest private bank in Turkey.
- Advised MasterCard on the exit of its payment transaction services business in Turkey.
Bener Law Office opened offices in Amsterdam and London in 2018, and its international expansion has put it on a stronger footing to assist global clients with their legal and commercial needs. The team in Istanbul is jointly led by Gözde Esen Sakar, Erim Bener and Onur Kordel. It is highly active in energy and infrastructure transactions, and is also strong in areas such as e-commerce, real estate and insurance. In addition to assisting clients with completing deals, the group also provides support on the drafting and negotiating of contracts, and also provides commercial law and competition law advice.
Al Ahli Bank of Kuwait
- Advised Socar on the $1bn acquisition of Turkey’s biggest container port, Aliaga Container Port, from APM.
- Advised Avid Management on the sale of the entire shares held in Quinn Emlak.
Bezen & Partners advises clients on various corporate matters, including cross-border M&A and strategic investments, joint ventures and restructurings. Its clients include foreign and domestic businesses in the retail, energy, shipping and infrastructure industries. Serdar Bezen and Murat Soylu jointly lead the team. Can Özilhan made partner in 2019. Uğur Sebzeci left the firm for an in-house position at Rönesans Holding.
‘They are very professional, responsive and receptive’.
‘Can Özilhan is very business oriented and is an expert on handling the government authorities; he is experienced, responsive and reliable’.
Akkuyu Nükleer A.Ş.
ADN PPP Sağlık Yatırım A.Ş.
Public Power Corporation S.A.
PNE AG / PNE Wind Yenilenebilir Enerjiler Ltd. Şti.
Rönesans Holding A.Ş.
Meridiam Infrastructure Sarl
Trelleborg Sealing Solutions
- Advising Rosatom on corporate matters associated with the development and construction of the Akkuyu nuclear power plant in Akkuyu, Mersin, Turkey.
- Advising the sponsors on their joint venture and shareholder matters in connection with the development, construction and financing of the $1.5bn İkitelli Hospital PPP.
- Advised BASF SE on the acquisition of certain assets and departments under the commercial enterprise of the Turkish subsidiary of Bayer AG.
ELIG Gürkaynak Attorneys-at-Law's work portfolio includes M&A, private equity/venture capital deals, reorganisations, spin-offs, joint ventures, incorporation and corporate housekeeping. Clients include domestic and multinational companies, investors and banks, with a particular strength in the transport and defence sectors. The team is jointly led by Gönenç Gürkaynak and Nazlı Nil Yukaruç.
‘Responsive and straight to the point’.
‘Provides well-reasoned and creative solutions for legal issues’.
‘Partner Nazli Yukaruc, finds viable solutions for our company and manages her team in a focused manner allowing the team to move forward with high speed and efficiency, which results in the best interest of our company’.
‘Excellent service, demonstrating professionalism and personal attention to all details’.
The Walt Disney Company
Google Ireland and Google Turkey
CA Technologies (a Broadcom company)
Rolls-Royce Overseas Holdings Limited
Flir Systems (through Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP Toronto)
Betafence (rebranded as Praesidiad)
OYAK (Turkish military pension fund)
- Advising Rolls-Royce on its contemplated partnership with a significant player in the Turkish defence industry.
- Advised Walt Disney Company on post-closing notification requirements for the acquisition of Twenty-First Century Fox.
- Advising Robertshaw on its acquisition of Castfutura Holding S.p.A and Castfutura S.p.A.
Gen Temizer Ozer, which formalised an affiliation with Kinstellar in 2019, is highly regarded for cross-border M&A, venture capital investments and joint ventures, among other matters. The firm provides Turkish and English law advice to multinational companies, private equity funds and other investment companies, and financial institutions. Its client roster includes entities from sectors such as energy and natural resources, banking, telecoms, media and real estate. Baran Gen and Edmund Emre Özer jointly lead the team.
‘They are true professionals with high ethical standards and well experienced to navigate through tough problems we face during our deals’.
‘Baran Gen is a fierce negotiator with great attendance to detail and good customer relations’.
‘Emre Ozer has great knowledge of both local and English law’.
‘Strong problem solving skills’.
‘Edmund Emre Özer is very responsive and attentive to every detail’.
‘Baran Gen is uniquely resourceful, very quick to share what she knows well and what she needs to research’.
‘Baran always knows the context, and works in the most efficient way to solve any problems or obstacles we might experience in most of our processes’.
‘Ms Baran Gen is a very successful and talented lawyer with advanced negotiation skills’.
‘Ms. Baran Gen stands out as a trusted legal advisor; she perfectly understands clients’ needs and delivers high quality documents’.
Sabancı Holding (top 3 conglomerates in Turkey)
Karabacak Holding and Dişli Holding
Delta Star Group
- Acted for the founders of Sırma on the sale and exit of their remaining shareholdings (49.9%) to Danone.
- Acted for Aslanoba Capital on the partial divestment of its shares in Modanisa through the sale to Goldman Sachs and EBRD, which also invested significant capital into the business for growth capital.
- Acted for Sabancı Holding on the sale of its shares in Temsa (global automotive business) to a fund.
Goksu Safi Isik Attorney Partnership's practice is particularly well-known for its specialism in the energy and construction sectors, and it also undertakes work for clients in other industries. It generates a notably strong flow of mandates from key client IGA, for whom it advises on day-to-day corporate issues and various corporate and commercial agreements. Key practitioner Ali Göksu is recommended for domestic and cross-border M&A, and corproate governance matters. Emre Ulcayli handles strategic partnerships, joint ventures and regulatory issues.
‘The team makes the life of business people really easy’.
‘They are not just our lawyers. We see them as our solution partners’.
‘GSI is a well structured legal firm with an effective hierarchy and is able to provide timely responses to our demands for all fields of expertise in legal matters’.
‘I can confidently state that we are satisfied with the services GSI has provided until today’.
‘The team is able to broadly analyse the matters and explain their legal implications in the most understandable way’.
Kuzey Marmara Otoyolu
IS Private Equity
Bank of China
GKS Yapi Insaat Yatirim
Alsaeed Hamad Sulaiman H
STFA Fernas Kalyon JV
Zuhair Murad S.A.R.L.
- Assisting USK Kimya with a sale of shares.
- Advising IGA on aviation and terminal services contracts in connection with the new Istanbul Airport.
- Advising Arabian investment group Arab Health on the purchase of the shares of a company which operates a hospital in Turkey.
Pekin & Pekin handles a broad range of corporate matters, including M&A, joint ventures, spin-offs, restructurings and privatisations. Clients include foreign and domestic businesses in the energy and infrastructure, banking and finance, and industrial manufacturing sectors. Yegân Liaje, who has transactional and regulatory expertise, leads the team. Senior associate Sinan Sunay left the firm.
‘Yegân Liaje was very discerning; she organised her team well, discussed the risks and considered “out of the box” solutions’.
Pelister Atayilmaz Enkur Law Office is strong in corporate matters with a nexus to regulated industries, including insurance, energy and natural resources. In addition to handling cross-border M&A and private equity transactions, its team advises clients on spin-offs, privatisations, corporate restructurings and joint ventures. Gökhan Enkür, Kerim Pelister, Emre Keki, Emre Atayılmaz and Zeynep Şener lead the team.
‘Extremely knowledgeable on all areas of corporate law but applied in a pragmatic way’.
‘Gökhan Enkür is always available, always reliable and always has the right answer’.
‘The team is competent and precise in supplying opinions and documents’.
‘Pelister Atayilmaz Enkur Law Firm consists of young but experienced lawyers, providing great M&A services, working side by side with the client throughout the transaction, willing to establish a great story and achievement together with the client’.
‘Young, dynamic and proactive team, always available with strong interdisciplinary connection across the various departments and practice areas’.
‘A very dynamic team able to allocate resources if needed, high partner involvement’.
‘We appreciated working with PAE’s legal team due to their professionalism and reliability, especially with regard to time frames and other requests of the client’.
‘Their partner-centered service approach helped in securing quality and efficiency at the same time’.
‘Partner Emre Keki has a wide expertise and is attentive for his clients’ needs’.
‘Extremely responsive, almost instantly throughout the process; well experienced in finding legal structures and alternatives; decent business understanding; able to convert business decisions into legal frameworks’.
Cigna Finans Emeklilik (Life and Pension)
Hoshizaki Group/ (and its Danish subsidiary Gram Commercial A/S)
Lockton Overseas Limited (and its Turkish subsidiaries Integra and Omni)
AFP Group GMBH and Montana Tec (and its Turkish subsidiary Arimpeks)
Elton Group (and its Turkish subsidiary Elton Marmara)
Pine Bridge Investments (and its Turkish subsidiary Ulusal Factoring)
Asia Pulp and Paper
CCL Label GmbH
Overseas for Water
Nederman Holding SA
- Advised Cigna Corporation and Cigna Finans on Cigna Group’s proposed $67bn acquisition of Express Scripts, and advised Cigna Group on various other corporate transactions in Turkey.
- Advised Lockton Overseas Limited on its contemplated acquisition of a 50% stake in Omni Sigorta ve Reassurans Brokerlik Hizmetleri A.S. and a 100% stake in each of Omni Corporate Solutions UK and Omni Corporate Solutions US for $8.6m.
- Advised Tekfen Holding and its subsidiary Toros Agri, Turkey’s largest supplier of fertiliser products, on a proposed $18m joint venture with Altaca Holding including a 70% acquisition of Gönen Enerji.
Cigdemtekin Cakirca Aranci Law Firm handles a broad range of corporate matters, including public and private M&A, joint ventures, privatisations, restructurings, private equity transactions and demergers. In addition to acting for clients on a standalone basis, it works closely with international firms, notably on cross-border M&A. The firm generates work from the FMCG, retail, energy and natural resources, technology, internet and e-commerce sectors. Gamze Çiğdemtekin is the head of the practice.
Aabar Investments PSJ
Age Enerji Group
Aimtech Elektronik Tasarim Üretim Savunma Bilişim İnşaat Araştirma Geliştirme Hizmetleri İth. İhr. San. Tic. Ltd. Şti.
Ankara Development Agency
APPS Bilgi Teknolojileri Limited Şirketi
Barko-Med Elektronik Ticaret A.Ş.
Bıçakçılar Çandarlı Elektrik Üretim A.Ş.
Brensan Enerji Savunma San ve Tic. A.Ş.
Danish Refugee Council
eBay Turkey (Gitti Gdiyor Bilgi Teknolojileri San. ve Tic. A.Ş. – eBay’s Turkish subsidiary)
Egeres Enerji Dan. Müh. Hiz. A.Ş.
Egeres Investment Pte. Ltd. (located in Singapore)
Franklin Templeton Investments
Gözde Girişim Sermayesi A.Ş., a subsidiary of Turkish conglomerate Yıldız Holding A.Ş.
İzmir Biyotıp ve Genom Merkezi
Just Food Ltd. Şti.
KAREL Elektronik Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş.
Mikro Tasarım Elekt San ve Tic A.Ş
ODTÜ Geliştirme Vakfı Okulları A.Ş.
ODTÜ MEMS Researcher Centre
ODTÜ Teknokent Yönetim A.Ş. (Middle East Technical University Technopolis)
Panaroma Bilişim Teknolojileri
Pt Alpha Wind Energi
SOCAR (State Oil Company of Azerbaijan) Turkey Petrol Enerji Dağıtım San. ve Tic. A.Ş.
Sona A.Ş. (affiliate of Egeres)
Templeton Asset Management
TRLINSTRUMENTS Proses ve Ekipman Teknolojileri Geliştirme Tasarım Üretim San. ve Tic. Ltd. Şti.
Verifone Elektronik ve Danışmanlık Ltd. Şti. (Verifone Turkey)
Wood & Company
- Provide day-to-day corporate advice to Verifone Turkey on an ongoing basis.
- Representing Further Network, established by a group of leading Turkish investors and developers, in its project to establish an innovative blockchain based airline ecosystem.
- Acted for Çağdaş Holding on its acquisition of Arvato Turkey from Bertelsmann.
Erdem & Erdem Law Office is a first port of call for many clients, including public and private companies, private equity firms, financial sponsors, investment banks and governmental entities. Jointly led by Ercüment Erdem and Özgür Kocabaşoğlu, the team handles M&A, cross-border transactions, business advisory work, inbound and outbound transactions, privatisations, exits, asset transfers and franchise agreements.
‘Timely response and professionalism’.
‘Thinking for the clients on how to save costs and doing things efficiently’.
‘Polite, friendly, detailed and reassuring working style’.
‘Tuna Colgar is very knowledgable about M&A practices, very responsive and smooth as a person to deal with’.
Norm Civata Sanayi ve Tic. A.Ş./ Norm Holding
Türkiye Spastik Çocuklar Vakfı (pro bono)
Tohum Otizm Vakfı (pro bono)
- Advising Essity Group on its exit from a 50-50 joint venture with Yıldız Holding.
- Advising on the corporate structure of a joint venture company formed by the leaders of electronics and automotive companies to build first electrical car in Turkey.
- Advised Norm Civata Sanayi Ve Ticaret A.Ş. on revising and negotiating OEM, confidentiality, licence, distribution contracts, short and long term supply agreements in Poland and France, Germany, Far Eastern countries, USA, Russia and revising template supply contracts to be used all over the world.
Güner Law Office's corporate and commercial practice has been a cornerstone of the firm's work since its inception in 1996. It acts for domestic and international investors in a wide range of matters, including joint ventures, privatisations, and sales of public and private companies. The telecoms, media and mining sectors have emerged as core areas of expertise for the team, which is jointly led by Ece Güner Toprak and Burçak Kurt Biçer.
General Electric (through Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP)
Fox Networks Group
Knot Yapı ve İş Güvenliği Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş. /Tractel International S.A.S.
Worldwide Machinery (through Jones Day)
Mastercard (through Citco)
- Advising all Turkish Fox Networks Group companies on their day-to-day legal issues, including (but not limited to) commercial law and corporate issues.
- Advising Konecranes OYJ and Turkish subsidiary Konecranes Ticaret ve Servis Limited Şirketi on all of its day to day operational, corporate and employment law issues in Turkey.
- Advising Gimatic SRL on the acquisition of shares of Gimatic Otomasyon Ticaret Anonim Şirketi, which have been held by an individual shareholder.
With practice head Sena Apak at the helm, Gür Law Firm's team undertakes a variety of domestic and international corporate work, including M&A, minority investments, and the drafting of shareholder agreements and sale contracts. Clients include multinational corporates, listed companies and state-owned enterprises. In 2019, the group's work involved a multitude of industries, such as real estate, energy and finance, among others.
‘Great all-round practice that has provided support in commercial and employment issues’.
‘Excellent team – very professional’.
‘Sena Apak is extremely flexible and hands on with a focus on practical solutions’.
‘Sena Apak is very competent in commercial and labor matters, providing excellent service whenever we needed her support’.
‘Always an excellent service, both in terms of timing/delivery and quality of advice’.
‘Sean Apak is very responsive and also brings a very commercial aspect to the table’.
Integra Sigorta Ve Reasürans Brokerligi AS
Bosphorus Gemi Acenteciligi AS
Hitay Group Companies
Kibar Group Companies
HC Trading Malta and its branch office in Istanbul
Termo Makina Sanayi Ve Ticaret Anonim Şirketi
Stil Giyin Internet Hiz Paz Teks Ith Ihr San Ve Tic
Taba Energy Group
Ibrakom Lojistik Hizmetleri Ltd Şti
Horoz Lojistik Kargo Hizmmetleri
SG Sayisal Grafik Yazilim San Ve Tic Ltd Sti
Perichem Trading Inc
Felix Group Dis Ticaret Anonim Şirketi
- Assisting Evsen Group/MGPC with the transfer of 12% stock in EMG pipeline to enable a landmark $15bn natural gas export deal.
- Assisting Momentum Group with all of its investments in Turkey and conducting company and branch establishments, joint ventures, licence and permit applications, reviewing all commercial agreements.
Gün + Partners acts for Turkish companies on their outbound activities overseas, and it also assists international companies with inbound investments into Turkey. It has a particular focus on regulated sectors, such as life sciences, TMT, insurance and energy. It is also well-known for handling corporate deals involving financially distressed companies and small family-owned businesses. Beyond transactional work, the group assists clients with shareholder agreements, sale and purchase agreements, and joint ventures, among other matters. Pelin Baysal leads the team.
- Advised a large tourism group on its commercial agreements with different hotels with a total amount exceeding €200m.
- Advised an Italian industrial company on an €11m asset transfer.
- Advising a family-owned tourism company on a $10m transfer of shares.
Moral & Partners' managing partner Vefa Reşat Moral has built up a first-rate reputation among Turkish family-owned businesses across various industries, and is a first point of contact for advice on family business M&A. In addition, under his leadership, the firm has grown its roster of large Turkish and international clients. The team, which is equally strong on the buy and sell side of transactions, also includes Serkan Pamukkale.
‘The team is always like a one great brain’.
‘They are very well connected and any of them can continue to work on a subject that another colleague had started before’.
‘They are fluent in English and have a high experience in international law’.
‘The team is very responsive and they have serious approach to legal work’.
‘Mr. Resat Moral has wide knowledge and experience; he provides accurate, precise and very clear legal advice’.
‘They are always coming with very good solutions to our questions from different areas of expertise’.
‘All members of the MORAL & PARTNERS team are customer-oriented lawyers with good technical knowledge and excellent communication skills’.
‘Their advice is always clear, concise and provided with a quick turnaround’.
‘They work as if they were part of the company and they try to create solutions to reach the most efficient resolution’.
‘I would highly recommend them in commercial and corporate matters’.
Japan Tobacco International
Vansan Water Technologies
Fokker Elmo (a subsidiary of GKN)
Ortopro Medical Devices
Volkan Firefighting Vehicles
Gözalan Group (Columbia Sportswear)
Erçetin Rose Oil
Barçin Sports Wear (Nike)
- Advised the shareholders of Arimpeks on the sale of 80% of its shares to AFP Group (Alu Flex Pack).
- Advised the shareholders of Pizza Pizza, a leading fast food pizza chain with more than 150 restaurants around Turkey, on the sale of 100% shares of Pizza Pizza to Mediterra Capital, one of leading private equity companies active in Turkey.
- Acting as the sole external counsel of Fokker Elmo, an aviation and defense company. Work includes advice on international supply agreements and public procurement processes.
Pekin & Bayar Law Firm has affiliations with foreign law firms in over two dozen jurisdictions, making it a strong choice for cross-border corporate matters. The M&A practice is led by Ferhat Pekin, who has particular expertise in transactions connected with sectors such as energy, pharmaceuticals and telecoms. Senior partner Selin Bayar - who is trilingual in Turkish, English and French - is experienced in M&A, private equity investments, privatisations, strategic alliances and joint ventures, among other matters. Deniz Altınay is also recommended.
‘Timely – providing a high quality legal service and collaborating with foreign law firms especially for M&A transactions’.
‘Good communication and documentation skills in English’.
Nippon Paint Holdings Co. Ltd.
Taaleri Wealth Management Ltd
LEGO Turkey Oyuncak Ticaret AŞ
- Advised Nippon Paint Holdings Co. Ltd. on the ₺1.4 bn acquisition of 100% of Betek Boya (“Filli Boya”) and Alsecco.
- Advising Lego Turkey on the issuance of share premium through a capital increase from ₺8m to ₺16m.
- Acted for RES Participations SAS on the sale of shares in Antges Enerji Üretim Anonim Şirketi to Artıbir Enerji A.Ş.
TURUNÇ's team handles various corporate and commercial matters, which includes drafting agreements, obtaining licenses, advising on legislative developments and assisting with the maintenance of corporate accounts. It also advises on private equity and venture capital transactions. The group acts for clients (ranging in size from small domestic companies to multinational corporates) in sectors such as automotive, ports, retail and technology. Noyan Turunç and Kerem Turunç (who is US, English and Turkish law-qualified) are the joint heads of the team.
‘Practical, specific and tailored advice’.
‘Kerem Turunç is an excellent listener, creative in developing solutions and provides good attention to detail’.
‘Turunc is a local firm but partners have substantial international experience, a very good understanding of the multinational operating environment and very high work ethics’.
‘They are very transparent in the way that they deal with us which gives further confidence in already stressful negotiations’.
‘Noyan is a doyen in his field with decades of experience working with major corporations and respected local firms’.
‘The team is very hands-on, adaptable to demanding processes and equipped with highly academic individuals bringing additional insight to the projects’.
‘The individuals have a unique commercial understanding, combined with excellent legal practice’.
Ascential (i2i Events)
Eigenmann & Veronelli
International Container Terminal Services
İş Girişim (Is Private Equity)
Vinci Venture Capital
- Ongoing advice to Opel on the full range of its commercial activities in Turkey.
- Ongoing role as external counsel to SC Johnson on a wide range of corporate and commercial law issues.
- Ongoing role as external Turkish counsel to leading Spain-based footwear company Camper Shoes.
ARIKAN | PARTNERS ILC is noted for the English, French and Turkish language capabilities of its team, which is jointly led by Akin Volkan Arikan and Fatih Aydogan. In addition to assisting clients with cross-border corporate transactions, the group's other expertise includes restructurings, the preparation and review of contracts and regulatory compliance matters. Clients include global conglomerates and Turkish companies.
‘Volkan Arikan and Burak Dulgeroglu are very professional and flexible’.
‘Arikan Partners is the best company that merges Law and construction know-how in Turkey’.
Al Ghurair Investment LLC
London Forfaiting Company Ltd
Fichtner Gmbh & Co KG
Refmek Mühendislik Ltd. Şti.
SFS Danışmanlık Bilgi İşlem Sanayi ve Dış Ticaret A.Ş.
Koray Group of Companies
Agrima Gayrimenkul Yatırım Ltd. Şti
Mitsubushi Elevators / AG Melco Turkey
Prime Capital Inc.
Israel Trade Council in Turkey
Hekim Holding Inc
GINEGAR Inc – ISRAEL
MDC Industries – Israel
- Providing advisory services to Mitsubushi Elevators, also known as AG Melco.
- Providing advisory services to NEF Group board members and shareholders in relation to commercial and transactional matters, including an $85m deal expected to close in 2020.
- Assisting Al Ghurair Investment LLC and its affiliates with all of their corporate and commercial matters in Turkey, including two new development projects valued at circa $100m.
Cerrahoglu Law Firm
Cerrahoglu Law Firm’s corporate department works closely with its litigation department to provide full support on contentious and non-contentious matters. On the non-contentious side, the varied workload includes M&A, outbound investments and compliance advice. Sezin Dündar, who made partner, jointly leads the team with Onur Gülsaran. Ayşegül Yalçınmani left the firm.
Willis Towers Watson
- Acted for CMA CGM S.A on the acquisition of Botros Levante Taşımacılık ve Ticaret Anonim Şirketi.
- Advising Ferrero Group companies on various transactions, including the acquisition of Oltan Group companies by Ferrero Trading Lux. SA.
- Advised Korn Ferry Group on the restructuring of the Turkish subsidiaries of the Group.
DURUKAN+PARTNERS is equally strong in buy and sell-side M&A. In addition, it assists clients with company and branch formations, general day-to-day operational matters and the drafting of shareholder-related documents, among other matters. Clients include multinational and domestic companies in the retail, tourism, banking, insurance, natural gas and real estate sectors. Begüm Durukan Özaydin, who is dual US and Turkey-qualified, co-heads the team with Hikmet Fadillioglu.
Ojer Telekomunikasyon A.Ş. and Oger Telecom Yönetim Hizmetleri Ltd. Şti. (Oger Telecom Management Services Company – OTMSC)
Daniel Wellington AB/Daniel Wellington Turkey Saatleri Ltd. Sti.
Sephora Kozmetik A.S. and Benefit Cosmetics LLC
McCormick & Company, Inc.
HMT LLC and HMT Turkey (HMT Kazan Depolama Sistemleri Otomasyon Sanayi Ve Ticaret Ltd Sti)
Enka İnşaat ve Sanayii A.S.
Etam Turkey (Turkish subsidiary of Investint, formerly known as Etamint, in France)
Rhodium (Rolex distributor in Turkey)
Bodrum Yalıkavak Turizm ve Yat Limanı Yatırımları ve Ticaret A.S.
BYK Otel Isletmeleri
Gazprom Export LLC and ZMB Gaz Depo A.S.
Gilan Mücevher Ticaret A.Ş.
- Ongoing advice to OTAS and OTL, as well as their sister company OTMSC, on corporate governance issues. This includes corporate compliance from the perspective of board of directors’ liability and capital markets regulations.
- Advising LyondellBasell on Turkish law aspects of its $2.25m global acquisition and restructuring of A.Schulman.
- Advising McCormick & Company Inc on the termination of its ₺161m joint venture with Yildiz Holding.
Gökçe merged with YaziciLegal in January 2020. It is particularly focused on IT, internet and technology-related M&A. In addition to being active in transactional matters, it is also sought out to assist clients with a wide range of commercial and contract law issues. The team often works as co-counsel with global law firms. Melike Akan Yüksel co-heads the team with Görkem Gökçe.
Miniclip (UK) Limited
Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe
Foriba (FIT Solutions)
BSM Real Estate
- Acted as the Turkish law adviser to Miniclip on the sale of Masomo Limited, including its Turkish subsidiary Four Mobile.
- Assisted the founders of FIT Solutions and FIT on the sale of shares in FIT Solutions to Sovos and Force Bidco.
- Advised CoreToEdge on its merger with Glasshouse.
Inal Ünver Avukatlik Ortakligi
Inal Kama Avukatlik Ortakligi (which was formerly known as Bilgiç Attorney Partnership) advises clients on M&A and joint ventures, as well as a full range of commercial law and competition matters. The team handles all stages of transactions, which range from the drafting and negotiation of sale and purchase agreements to post-closing procedures. Its sector expertise spans a wide variety of areas, such as transport, shipping, finance, manufacturing, telecoms and infrastructure. The joint heads of the practice are Ekin İnal and Olgu Kama.
‘Throughout the long years we have been working with them we have enjoyed the easiness and comforting feeling of knowing that when a matter is brought to them, they will promptly make the necessary legal examinations and take all the necessary steps’.
‘Inal’s team gives us the assurance of being fully assisted and supported on each and every matter’.
‘Very knowledgeable team on maritime and finance matters’.
‘Good knowledge of international law and exceptional expertise in Turkish law’.
‘Seyma’s team is always my first port of call for any regulatory or contentious issue in Turkey’.
‘Thorough knowledge of Turkish law regarding commercial, corporate and M&A, and the ability to provide advice on those matters in a very quick manner’.
‘Seyma Inal is always accessible and responsive, and her advice is thorough and prompt’.
MSC Cruises SA
MSC Shipping SA
MSC Kruvaziyer Turizm A.S.
International Road Transport Union
Terminal Investment Ltd.
Kastamonu Entegre Agac Sanayi ve Ticaret A.S.
Parker Iklim Kontrol Sistemleri Sanayi ve Ticaret A.S.
Zenith Gemi Isletmeciligi Anonim Sirketi
Tersan Tersanecilik San. ve Tic. A.Ş.
Galata Liman Isletmeleri Anonim Sirketi
Yazici Attorney Partnership's team is highly reputed in M&A, as well as day-to-day commercial issues, corporate governance, spin-offs and restructurings. Equally strong acting for Turkish and international clients, its experience spans the construction, food and beverage, mining, automotive and defence sectors. The team is led by energy sector expert Murat Yazıcı and Elif Karagözoğlu. Güryay Bingöl left the firm to establish Özkan Gürden Bingöl Attorney Partnership.
‘They go the extra mile to deliver top quality service’.
‘Kerem Aric is very versatile, speaks perfect French and English, is very responsive and has a pragmatic approach’.
‘The team always takes the extra step to understand the business, driving commercial concerns behind any decision-making process, and the realities ascribed with common commercial transaction’.
‘Senior partner Elif Karagözoğlu is sharp, very friendly, very accessible and always to the point’.
‘Smart, pragmatic and responsive team’.
‘They provide truly comprehensive service, one which brings together different experts who are completely at home in your secto’.
‘Mr. Murat Yazici, is the founder and brings added value to a transaction’.
Termo Makina ve Ticaret A.S.
Selex ES Elektronik Turkey A.Ş.
Turner Project Management
Hisarlar Makina Sanayi A.Ş.
Ekin Maden A.Ş. and Ekin Nikel Metal A.Ş.
Bosphorus Gaz Corp. A.Ş.
AGE İnşaat A.Ş.
Afendis Finansal Danışmanlık A.Ş.
- Assisting Termo Makina ve Ticaret A.S. with various corporate and contractual matters.
- Advising Genetec Inc.’s Turkish affiliate on all of its corporate matters.
- Advising Bosphorus Gaz on general corporate matters.