Albors Galiano Portales continues to stand out in the field, advising shipowners, charterers and operators on dry disputes, admiralty law, ship building and financing contracts, and vessel sales and purchases. Eduardo Albors, Javier Portales and Alfonso de Ochoa lead the practice, which is noted for offering a 'direct, personal and professional service', including litigation and arbitration. Recent highlights include acting for the captain and his insurers in a claim over the collision of the passenger ship Excellent with the berth at Barcelona Port. Other key names to note at the firm are Javier Galiano and principal associate Maider Arrieta, who is an experienced litigator.
Transport: Shipping in Spain
Albors Galiano Portales
‘Albors provides a direct, personal and professional service.’
‘Albors Galiano Portales is our first port of call in our top-profile cases. It is the undisputed leading law firm in the shipping industry in Spain.’
‘AGP is an expert law firm in maritime law. The team is a mixture of very experienced partners and young and professional lawyers.’
‘Javier Portales and Eduardo Albors offer a professional and direct service.’
‘Eduardo Albors is extremely strong, thorough and determined. His deep knowledge puts him at the forefront of maritime law in Spain. He is the perfect combination of brilliant technique and commercial approach. Very pragmatic.’
‘Javier Portales is a brilliant practitioner. Always available, excellent in emergency response work.’
‘Maider Arrieta is very sound, pragmatic and efficient. Very commercially minded.’
- Acting for the captain and Generali, as his insurers, in a claim over the collision of the passenger ship Excellent with the berth at Barcelona Port.
- Acting on a claim by the owners of a fishing vessel relating to the collapse of a fishing vessel’s stand while in a dry dock.
- Advising the hull underwriters in respect of a collision between the vessel Faro and the container vessel Lady Rosebay off the coast of Morocco.
Avante Legal advises on a wide range of matters in the shipping sector, including commercial and offshore shipping and the fishing industry. The team is also well known for its insurance expertise, acting on behalf of international P&I clubs, Spanish and foreign insurance companies, shipping and cargo companies, and suppliers to the offshore industry. In a recent highlight, the team acted for OHL, as ship owner, and Generali, as hull insurer, in salvage proceedings. Led by the 'excellent' Julio López Quiroga, the team also includes Antonio Quirós, described as 'one of the best Spanish lawyers in admiralty law', and associate Hannah de Bustos.
‘It is a team with a very high level of technical preparation and specialisation, a lot of experience in both legal advice and litigation, and a very practical approach.’
‘In my opinion, Avante Legal is the best office in maritime-mercantile matters.’
‘They are very good lawyers first and foremost, which is crucially important.’
‘They are also prepared to offer commercial advice which is much appreciated. Very good response times.’
‘Formed by lawyers with advanced knowledge of the transport sector. They are attentive and diligent when it comes to dealing with clients.’
‘Very experienced and user-friendly team.’
‘Antonio Quirós, in my opinion, is one of the best Spanish lawyers in admiralty law.’
‘Antonio Quiros is an excellent lawyer who always gives sensible and appropriate advice in good time.’
‘Julio Quiroga is an excellent lawyer. Brilliant, fast and a pleasure to work with.’
The UK Steamship Assurance Association
Royal & Sun Alliance (RSA)
Resul Equipamentos de Energia SA
The Britannia Steam Ship Insurance Association
ACSM Maritime SLU
The Steamship Mutual Underwriting Association Ltd.
The Meco Group
- Represented Compañía Trasmediterréna in more than 35 judicial proceedings and several out-of-court negotiations relating to a fire on board the vessel Sorrento.
- Assisting OHL, as ship owner, and Generali, as hull insurer, in salvage proceedings.
- Acting for Allianz in a cargo claim against Pérez Torres Marítima and its underwriter (RSA), and Briese Schiffahrt and its P&I club (The Swedish Club).
Meana Green Maura & Co
Meana Green Maura & Co has 'extensive experience acting for insurers' in maritime matters, with expertise in wet and dry law. Thanks to its offices in Barcelona, Algeciras, Bilbao and Valencia, the team is able to cover the key Spanish ports. The practice is led by Madrid-based Pedro Maura, who has experience in maritime litigation and arbitration, and Jaime Soroa, whose clients include ship owners and London-based insurers, along with Edmund Sweetman, who handles contentious and non-contentious maritime work, in Barcelona and the 'outstanding' F Javier Zabala, who specialises in wet and dry shipping, in Bilbao.
‘The firm has both theoretical and business-oriented knowledge in maritime law.’
‘The team are very attentive to the customer.’
‘Maritime lawyers with extensive experience of acting for insurers.’
‘F Javier Zabala is outstanding with his energy and willingness to solve problems at any time.’
‘F Javier Zabala is always reachable and ready to assist us.’
‘F Javier Zabala stands out due to his extensive experience acting for insurers.’
- Representing Petrobras America in a claim against a Spanish chain manufacturer and its liability insurers for damages related to the collapse of a tether chain in an oil and gas floating production storage and offloanding (FPSO) unit in the Gulf of Mexico.
'An extremely experienced team with a strong track record in high-profile disputes', Mestre Abogados is best known for its expertise in multi-jurisdictional insurance and shipping claims. Led by the 'charismatic and highly experienced' Anna Mestre, who regularly handles major litigation, the team advises on super yacht related cases, major casualties such as collisions, fires on board and groundings, and agency and shipping contracts. Teresa Font and Andrés Candomeque left the firm in June 2020.
‘The team is incredibly professional and more than competent.’
‘They are a really bright and focused team, very happy and harmonious.’
‘Professional and knowledgeable. Constantly search for new visions.’
‘An extremely experienced team with a strong track record in high-profile disputes.’
‘Combine in depth-legal knowledge and practical business experience to provide legal services with an international perspective.’
‘They are an excellent team – very responsive, knowledgeable and a pleasure work with.’
‘Anna Mestre is one of the best lawyers I’ve ever met.’
‘Anna Mestre is very wise and very experienced’
‘Anna Mestre is a very experienced and competent lawyer in this area’
‘Anna Mestre is very charismatic, highly experienced and conscientious.’
Royal Sun Alliance (RSA)
Great American Insurance
Proactiva Open Arms
- Acting for Peugeot in criminal and salvage proceedings relating to a fire on board the vessel Grande Europa.
- Acting for RSA and Gamesa in a large claim for the loss of cargo from the BBC Ontario during its passage from Bilbao to Alexandria.
- Acting for Generali in an insurance dispute with Adelte over the collapse of a cruise gateway at Harwich Port.
Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP
Formed by a merger between Pennington Manches and shipping specialist Thomas Cooper in July 2019, Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP's shipping practice handles admiralty, casualty and other civil claims under Spanish and English law. The team's clients include shipowners, insurers and traders based in Spain. Wet and dry shipping specialist Juan Alegre, Bernardo Ruiz Lima, who has expertise in insurance claims, logistics and transport issues, and salvage proceedings, and Ernesto Rivera, whose experience includes advising on shipbuilding, financing and logistics contracts, lead the team.
‘The degree of knowledge in the maritime field is superior to that of other law firms.’
‘Very strong shipping knowledge and capabilities concerning carriage, casualty and pollution matters. Combination of local law knowledge with English law and service level of London firms is a strength over purely local firms.’
‘Juan Alegre and Bernardo Ruiz Lima stand out for both their knowledge of the law and local practice but also their practical and commercial approach. They are also proactive and service-minded.’
S.A. de Obras y Servicios Copasa
Sociedad de Salvamento y Seguridad Marítima (Sasemar)
North of England P&I Association
Owner of the super yacht Seahawk
Maersk (AP Moller)
- Acted for the Spanish Maritime Safety and Rescue Society (Sasemar) in over 200 claims to recover premiums, awards and unpaid invoices for salvage and tug services.
- Acting for Norwegian Hull Club and VHT, as loss of earnings underwriter and hull underwriter, in claims over salvage proceedings following the collision of the container ship Spica with the West Taurus rig in the port of Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
- Assisting the owner of the super yacht Sea Hawk in a claim against the MB92 Barcelona shipyard for €3m in damages arising from defects in the repair of the yacht’s keel system after previous damage.
SAN SIMON & DUCH
Transport and insurance boutique SAN SIMON & DUCH advises on a wide range of matters in the maritime industry, with clients including insurers, ship owners, charterers, salvors, P&I clubs, banks and financial institutions, and port authorities. Mercedes Duch and Luis de San Simón, who have extensive experience in maritime law, are key names to note in the team, along with Diego de San Simón. Key areas of work include advising on salvage claims, damages caused by vessels, vessel arrests and contracts for repairs.
Vilma Oil, S.L.
Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC)
HDI – Gerling
Smit Salvage, B.V. Marjan Schuring
Tablada P&I Services
- Acted for Smit Salvage in salvage claims relating to an accident on board the Maersk Honam.
- Acting for Smit Salvage in connection with the fire on board the Grimaldi Group vessel Grande Europa.
- Acting for Ferrovial in a claim against the underwriters for the salvage expenses and damages to a construction platform lost by a tug on the coast.
Uría Menéndez provides advice on a variety of issues in the shipping sector, including vessel construction, financing and acquisition agreements; marine casualties, litigation and insurance; M&A involving shipping companies; and the operation of port services. Led by Carlos López-Quiroga, the team has developed a strong Scandinavian client base in the sector, in addition to acting for Spanish and Latin American clients, including port operators and terminals, shipowners, shipyards, charterers, and energy and insurance companies. Associate José Sánchez-Fayos is another key name to note. Tomás Fernández-Quirós left the firm.
‘Its specificity gives greater value to the experience of the team.’
‘Technically outstanding with a great commercial vision.’
‘A very good and comprehensive view of all legal aspects of international transactions, with special expertise in several financial areas.’
‘Transparency and ability to transmit to the client all the necessary elements that will shape their decision.’
‘Experienced, always available, with a keen approach to legal issues.’
‘Carlos Lopez-Quiroga gives banking and financial legal advice with confidence.’
Ondimar Transportes Marítimos LDA
Nueva Pescanova, S.L.
Astilleros Canarios, S.A.
Astilleros de Santander, S.A
Marina Barcelona 92, S.A.
Muelles y Espacios Portuarios (MEPSA)
Cruceros de Málaga, S.A.
Creuers del Port de Barcelona, S.A.
Anchors Yachting Ltd
Astilleros Armón, S.A.
The International Oil Pollution Compensation Funds (IOPC Funds)
The Royal Bank of Scotland
Global Liman Isletmeleri, A.S.
MESSRS. Hohefels Container Schiffahrts GMBH & CO. KG
Suncor Energy, INC.
Seadrill Global Services LTD
Cosco Shipping Ports (Spain)
Holding, Sociedad Limitada
- Assisting Astilleros de Santander with the completion of a contract for a new-build dredger.
- Advising Anesco on the implementation of the European Port Services Regulations.
- Assisting Copemar with the negotiation of a contract for the acquisition of a new-build fishing trawler.
With offices in key ports across Spain, Aiyon Abogados SLP specialises in claims over vessel groundings and accidents, damages claims, and issues related to oil spills. The team has been advising the 1992 International Oil Pollution Compensation Fund on the aftermath of the oil spill from the Prestige tanker since 2002. Veronica Meana is a key name to note, with clients including P&I clubs, shipping companies, insurers, shipping agents, freight forwarders and logistics companies. Mikel Garteizgoxeaskoa is also recommended.
‘Good communication between the team members. Good knowledge of English.’
‘Very good knowledge about the legal subjects, very quick responses.’
- Representing the 1992 IOPC Fund in claims before the Spanish Supreme Court and the Court of Appeals of La Coruña over the major oil spill from the Prestige in 2002.
Garrigues advises on wet and dry shipping and maritime litigation and arbitration, as well as corporate, labour and regulatory matters in the shipping sector. Madrid-based practice head Jesus Barbadillo, who is highlighted for his 'profound experience and skill', particularly in regulatory matters, leads the team, whose clients include Lloyd's syndicate underwriters, ship owners, cargo owners, banks, shipyards and terminal container yards. Las Palmas-based Manuel Betancor is also recommended.
‘Profound knowledge of the shipping market, ability to give real-time answers on a varied range of topics.’
‘The team is very strong and complete.’
‘Jesús Barbadillo has profound experience and skill, especially in strategy and tactics. Full comprehension of the customer’s needs.’
‘Maria Marelza Cozar has good knowledge of gas transportation market dynamics and of the related economics, great availability in real time.’
‘Jesús Barbadillo and Maria M. Cozar are highlights within the team.’
‘They are very close to the customer and try to find fast and efficient solutions, showing their availability at all times.’
Naviera Armas S.A
La Luz Market
- Advised terminal container yard Total Terminal Internacional Algeciras on a claim for losses for the discharge of containers following a fire on board the vessel Hanjin Green Earth.
- Advising Naviera de Melenara on the contract for the construction and financing of a RoPax (roll-on/roll-off passenger) vessel in the Factorias Vulcano shipyard.
- Advised Naviera de Taliarte on the negotiation and drafting of the construction contract for a fast ferry with Australian shipyard Incat.
PEREZ ALBORS | & CO
PEREZ ALBORS | & CO specialises in transport, insurance and dispute resolution. The 'very strong shipping team' has experience advising ship owners, P&I clubs, logistics companies and insurers on a range of matters in the sector, with expertise in international cases. Firm founder and managing partner Carlos Perez leads the team; he handles ship arrests, cargo claims, charterparty and bill of lading disputes, P&I and marine insurance claims, the sale and purchase of vessels, shipbuilding disputes, ship registration, and collision and salvage claims.
‘Very strong shipping team with a wealth of experience. Very approachable.’
‘Handy, available 24/7, 365 days a year, professional. It is not easy to find such a good maritime lawyers in this area.’
‘Responsive and skilful. It is always easy to pick up the phone and get into contact with the firm in order to get time-sensitive advice or legal procedures commenced within tight deadlines.’
‘Carlos Perez is undoubtedly a leading expert in the area of maritime law and the go-to lawyer in Spain for shipping-related matters.’
‘Carlos Perez is a great maritime lawyer with wide knowledge in all areas.’
‘The team handles matters cleanly and efficiently. It is always easy to work with the firm. If the answer is the legal procedure is not available, the firm is quick to say so and does not rack-up bills for clients on hopeless legal pursuits.’
The Standard P&I Club
The North of England P&I Club
Sunderland Marine Mutual Insurance Company Limited
W K Webster & Co
The American P&I Club
World Fuel Services
Elias Marine Ltd
X-Press Container Line
Servyman de Estrecho
Bunker Holding A/S
Steel Invest Group
- Advising Generali on a claim filed by the shipowners for damage to the vessel Regina Baltica as a result of a fire on board.
Rogers & Co. Abogados
Led by the experienced Marie Rogers, Rogers & Co. Abogados' 'state-of-the-art' team is best known for its expertise in complex maritime litigation; in a recent highlight, the team acted on behalf of an oil trader to recover trading losses of over €4m resulting from the closure of an oil terminal operated by Oryx Iberia. Luis Alberto García, who has strength in admiralty law, vessel auctions, cargo claims and marine insurance, is also a key name.
‘The partners tend to take the cases together in order to take advantage of the strengths of each lawyer and have an overall and cohesive vision on the different matters. They elaborate the long-term strategy but leave open the possibility to react quickly if something is different than expected. For them, the most important thing is the interests of the client.’
‘They always give personal service and attach equal importance to each individual matter, irrespective of financial figures. They are perfect professionals with great knowledge and experience. Compared to other firms, service comes first for them and they are always very quick in getting involved in matters. Billing is always reasonable and transparent.’
‘State-of-the-art lawyers, very competent.’
‘The level of service is optimal, response times are appropriate to the complexity of the cases and they constantly update their knowledge of legislation.’
‘They are precise and concise and they attend to your request almost immediately.’
‘Marie Rogers has considerable experience and skills. With such experience she can always provide prompt advice. Her difference to the competitors is she handles the matters like her own matter.’
‘Luis Alberto Garcia is quite energetic and can travel for any matter on short notice. He is also quite well experienced and shows utmost care to any matter he handles.’
‘Very professional and full involvement in their assignments’
‘David Diez has a deep knowledge of shipping legislation and transportation. His reports are always accurate and depict every possibility we might encounter.’
AIG Europe SA
Chubb European Group
Navigators Management Limited
Dutch P& I
West of England
Marine Reporting International Limited
Grup Alfonso Gallardo
- Acting on behalf of an oil trader to recover trading losses of over €4m resulting from the closure of an oil terminal operated by Oryx Iberia.
- Acting on behalf of an oil terminal to recover uninsured losses of over €400,000 resulting from damage to one of the terminal pipelines by a vessel.
Watson Farley & Williams LLP specialises in asset finance in the shipping space. The firm advises shipowners on tax leases, with particular experience advising clients from Norway and Greenland. In addition, the practice provides expertise in export credit agency financings, co-ordinating with the firm's offices in Germany, France, the UK and the US. Alfredo Cabellos leads the team and focuses on transport and maritime matters.
Royal Arctic Line
Dredging Environmental & Marine Engineering
- Advised Banca March on the subsidy structures for several shipping yards, including Astilleros de Murueta and Astilleros de Santander.
- Advised CaixaBank on the export buyer’s credit financing for the construction of a Ro-Pax ferry vessel for Naviera Armas.
- Advised Castlehill on the financing, under a Spanish tax lease structure, of one pelagic trawler fishing vessel.
Arizon Abogados SLP
Arizon Abogados SLP's shipping and admiralty team provides a range of services throughout Spain, including advising on the arrests of ships, port claims, contract disputes - both nationally and internationally - and maritime casualties. Managing partner Felipe Arizon, who is based in the Málaga and Jerez offices, leads the team and has experience in maritime arbitration and insurance.
‘Arizon Abogados provide a prompt and quality service.’
‘Arizon Abogados are always available for clients.’
‘The firm’s openness for discussion and holistic view help to solve cases which at first glance look complex.’
‘In short, an office formed by a team of brilliant lawyers.’
‘The firm look for the best alternative in all cases.’
‘The fundamental difference with other firms is the rapid interaction with clients and the willingness to reach immediate agreements.’
Malaga Ship Agents
Cuatrecasas' multi-disciplinary team advises a variety of international and Spanish clients on maritime matters, including negotiating contracts, M&A transactions in the shipping sector, litigation such as claims for damages to goods, the financing of vessels, and tax and administrative issues. International matters include advising freight forwarders on contracts and insurance arrangements and importers and exporters on cargo claims. Litigation and arbitration specialist Iñigo Quintana heads the practice.
Armshore Investments Limited
Bergé y Cía
Dpone Naval Architecture
- Advising Armshore Investments on claiming repossession of the vessel Polar Star from a repair shipyard that is exercising a lien for repair works.
- Representing Vicinay in a claim brought by Lloyd’s syndicates and Petrobras America for economic losses related to the failure of a link in a chain in an exploration and extraction in an oil field in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Advising Navacel’s subsidiary Dulantzi Metals in a claim filed by carrier UCC in London.
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo is known for its expertise in shipping finance, with experience advising banks, shipping and charter companies, and government funds on cross-border transactions. The team also handles tax, regulatory and litigation matters in the sector. Managing partner Carlos Rueda and the newly promoted Fernado Herrero, both of whom specialise in asset financing, are the key contacts.
‘The team is thorough and helpful with excellent communication. They have been wonderful at explaining and helping us negotiate Spanish legal requirements in our financings.’
‘Excellent communication skills, very helpful commercial advice, responsive and efficient.’
Export Credit Canada
Spanish Government (FIEM)
The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection
- Advised Abanca, as issuer, and a syndicate of participating banks on the amendment of a facility agreement granted to Navantia for the construction of four offshore patrol vessels and four coastal patrol vessels for the state of Venezuela.
- Advised Ritz-Carlton in connection with the construction of a cruise vessel by Spanish shipyard Hijos de J. Barreras.
- Advised a syndicate of Spanish financial institutions, led by BBVA as agent, on the financing granted to Basque shipyard Astilleros de Murueta for the construction of a live fish vessel for fishing company Royal Greenland.
Hogan Lovells International LLP is recognised for its expertise in shipping finance, with particular strength in tax lease and export credit-secured financing. The practice also handles regulatory matters in the shipbuilding sector and litigation. Clients include shipbuilding companies and financial institutions. Practice head Miguel Ángel Sánchez 'has a marvellous track record in advising on tax lease structures regarding vessels' and 'transmits his knowledge to the whole team'.
‘The shipping team is extraordinary because the leader, Miguel Ángel Sánchez, has a marvellous track record in tax lease structures regarding vessels, and he transmits his knowledge to the whole team. ‘
‘Hogan Lovells always gives practical solutions.’
‘Miguel Ángel Sánchez has extraordinary experience in public and private matters and has very good presentations skills.’
Banco de Sabadell, S.A.
Metalships and Docks
Astilleros de Murueta, S.A.
Astilleros de Zamakona
- Advising Pymar on various matters related to the financing and regulatory aspects of its shipbuilding activity.
- Advising Banco Sabadell on the design, implementation and follow-up of four tax lease structures for the financing of vessels of various leading shipyards.
- Advising Bankinter on the design, implementation and follow-up of two tax lease structures for the financing of vessels of various shipyards.
Formed in 2017, Kennedys' marine practice advises on dry and wet shipping law relating to vessels, ports and cargo. Areas of expertise include shipbuilding and financing; reflagging of vessels; maritime salvage procedures; insurance claims for vessel or cargo loss; and ports law matters. Practice head Olivia Delagrange is described as 'a true specialist in marine law', while experienced associate Jose Pellicer, who joined from Albors Galiano Portales in 2017, is 'brilliant, fast and creative in his approach to problems'.
‘The team is always ready to provide a tailored service. Always an excellent choice.’
‘They are very proactive, provide everything that you need and have the resources and expertise to fulfil their promises. They also link in very well with the rest of the Kennedys worldwide network.’
‘Jose Pellicer is brilliant, fast and creative in his approach to problems. He is a rising star, no doubt. ‘
‘Olivia Delagrange is multi-lingual which greatly assists on our claims. A true specialist in marine law with amazing knowledge of transportation law. Very proactive and easily understands your requirements, together with a commercial attitude towards a dispute.‘
‘Jose Pellicer is an expert in his area of marine, logistics and ports law and all related matters, including policy interpretation. Always delivers on his promises and provides unique advice that details everything that you need, together with breaking it down into an understandable format when it comes to the complicated Spanish Civil Codes.‘
- Advising a marine insurance company on a series of cargo claims within the reefer containers sector concerning perishable frozen or refrigerated goods, as well as hot rolled coils.
- Acting for the lending banks in the financing of a high-value newbuild passenger vessel.
- Advised a shipowner on the reflagging of three vessels.
MA Abogados offers a wide range of services in the shipping sector, including advising on port terminals issues, offshore contracts, bulk trades, shipbuilding contracts and financing, insurance claims, and arbitration. The Valencia-based team is led by Carlos Salinas Adelantado, who specialises in transport law, arbitration and insurance, and Sara Recatalá Chordá.
Ruiz-Gálvez Abogados SLP
Ruiz-Gálvez Abogados SLP specialises in maritime law, with experience in the sale and purchase of Spanish and foreign vessels; ship registration, construction and financing; and maritime litigation and arbitration, including claims for injuries to passengers and damage to cargo. Fernando Ruiz-Galvez Villaverde and Felix Ruiz-Galvez are recommended.