Baker McKenzie acts for clients in the automotive, aerospace, chemical, steel, electronics and logistics sectors. Key areas of work include financing, transactional and real estate matters. M&A specialist Maite Diaz, Jorge Adell, who advises on strategic alliances and M&A and private equity transactions, and Xavier Junquera, who assists clients in the sector with procurement and planning issues, head the team.
Industry focus: Manufacturing in Spain
Aernnova Aerospace, S.A.
- Advised the Spanish affiliates of Adient as borrowers and guarantors on the debt refinancing of the group.
- Advised the shareholders of Codorníu, a sparkling wine manufacturer, on the sale of the majority of the shares of the company to the Carlyle Group.
- Advised US-based nuclear power company Westinghouse on the insolvency proceedings, refinancing and subsequent sale of its subsidiaries and other investment companies in Spain through a competitive bidding process.
Cuatrecasas advises manufacturing companies, particularly in the heavy industry and automotive sectors, on civil litigation, compliance, regulatory law, corporate M&A, financing and competition matters. The team also handles labour litigation. Highlights included assisting Olympus Partners with the acquisition of DS Smith Plastics in a deal worth $585m. The key name is Javier Fontcuberta, who specialises in business collaboration agreements and commercial distribution and recently advised the Volkswagen Group on regulatory matters and litigation related to nitrogen oxide emissions.
Batz Automotive System
Seat Volkswagen Audi
Suzuki Motor Corporation
- Advised and defended Airfal, an industrial lighting company, in unfair competition proceedings relating to the reproduction of light fixtures and shape trade marks.
- Advised BH Bikes on patent and trade mark matters.
- Represented Acerinox, a stainless steel manufacturing group, in a safeguarding investigation on steel imports started by the European Commission.
The manufacturing team at DLA Piper provides advice on corporate, intellectual property, financing and public law matters. The team has experience in M&A, restructurings and IPOs in the sector, as well as advising on real estate matters. Diego Ramos heads the team and is experienced in logistics, delivery, financing and sourcing issues.
- Advised Papeles y Cartones de Europa (Europac), a Spain-based and listed packaging business, on a €1.8bn takeover offer by DS Smith plc.
- Advised Bacardi Iberia on brand protection.
- Advised St. Jude Medical, a medical device manufacturer, in connection with public contracts and tenders.
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo handles matters with ‘speed, agility and flexibility’ in the chemicals and plastics, industrial equipment and shipbuilding sectors. The multi-disciplinary team advises on regulatory, intellectual property, EU and competition, and employment law. Key areas of work include distribution agreements, warehousing, loan and credit facility arrangements, and equipment supply issues. Iñigo Erláiz, who also heads the firm’s private equity group and is experienced in insolvency and restructuring, leads the practice. Highlights included advising the Aviation Industry Corporation of China on its acquisition of a 95% stake in Aritex Cading, a manufacturer of assembly lines.
Automotive & Industrial Systems, a division of Panasonic Corporation
Sirap (previously Reynolds Food Packaging)
Abello Linde, S.A.
IP Cleaning España, S.L.
Teka Industrial, S.A.
Nestlé España, S.A.
- Provided ongoing advice to Panasonic Automotive Systems on its controlling interest in Ficosa International, a Spanish multinational in the auxiliary smart car parts sector.
- Advised on a possible restructuring of Decortienda, a manufacturer of commercial furniture.
- Provided day-to-day corporate and commercial advice to food packaging manufacturer Sirap.
Uría Menéndez’s manufacturing practice group is made up of partners with corporate, intellectual property, competition, litigation, environmental, criminal and regulatory expertise. EU and competition expert Patricia Vidal, intellectual property specialist José Massaguer, and Teresa Paz-Ares, who focuses on M&A and corporate governance, co-lead the team. Recent highlights include advising Grupo Ferroatlántica, which produces ferroalloys, silicon and hydroelectric power, on its sale to a vehicle controlled by TPG Sixth Street Partners.
- Advised Boston Scientific, a pharmaceutical company, regarding a notification to the CNMC, the Spanish competition regulator.
- Represented Energizer Holdings in its acquisition of Spectrum’s global battery and portable lighting business.
- Advising Europac, a packaging company, on its acquisition by DS Smith plc.