The team at Cuatrecasas handles M&A transactions, litigation, intellectual property and employment matters across the food sector. The practice advises on production, packaging, advertising and export-import processes. Other areas of expertise include advising on quality regulations, food safety compliance and regional subsidies for producing food items. Industrial and intellectual property litigator Jorge Llevat, who focuses on trade mark litigation proceedings, heads the team. Also noted are public procurement and advertising specialist Jorge Botella and Pere Kirchner, who focuses on domestic and cross-border transactions and is currently advising Pernod Ricard on acquiring e-commerce assets. Recent highlights include advising Lindt & Sprüngli on nutritional labelling.
Industry focus: Food in Spain
Grupo Teodoro García
Coca-Cola European Partners
Grupo Ybarra Alimentacion
- Advised Lindt & Sprüngli on nutritional labelling, administrative proceedings and legal metrology matters.
- Advised Adam Foods on creating a joint venture to manufacture honey in Oran.
- Advised Farmidable on matters relating to the labelling, presentation and advertising of organic products, and on e-commerce.
The multi-disciplinary team at Gómez-Acebo & Pombo handles matters relating to M&A in the food sector, nutrition and health, regulatory issues, labelling, crisis management and product recalls, taxation, distribution, and intellectual property and unfair competition. Other areas of experience include export processes, food safety compliance and the sale of food supplements. Advertising expert Mónica Weimann, who advises on the development and launching of new products, distribution and digital food marketplaces, co-heads the practice with José Luis Palma, who focuses on civil and agricultural law. Highlights included advising confectioner Ferrero Ibérica on competition, IP and advertising matters.
‘Embedded in a great network of food lawyers in the EU and worldwide’
Coca-Cola European Partners
Galletas Gullón, S.A.
Grupo Kaiku Corporación Alimentaria, S.A.
Makro/Metro Group AG
Nestlé España, S.L.
Red Bull GmbH
Lidl Supermercados, S.A.U.
Nutreco Iberia, S.L.
Jacobs Douwe Egberts, N.V.
- Advised Casual Brands Group on a master franchise agreement with Yum! Brands which would give the client exclusive rights as a master franchise in Spain.
- Advised Centerbridge Partners as a bidder in the acquisition of the Palacios Group.
- Handled a US private placement by Jorge Pork Meat and its subsidiaries through the issue of two series A and series B bonds and the registration of a programme in Spain’s Alternative Fixed-Income Market (MARF).
Rocío Belda de Mergelina leads the team at Garrigues, which specialises in commercial transactions relating to agriculture, fishing and viticulture. Belda de Mergelina is experienced in advising on distribution and franchise networks, including product launching, restructuring and pre-litigious matters. The practice also handles claims related to product liability, recall events and consumer protection, and represents clients before the Spanish food safety and nutrition agency. It draws on the expertise of the firm’s retail, franchising and private equity groups. The team advised MCH Private Equity as lead investor in the Carlyle Group’s acquisition of the Palacios Group, a producer of cold cuts and ready meals.
William & Humbert
- Advised MCH Private Equity, the leading investor in the acquisition of the Palacios Group by the Carlyle Group.
- Advised Artá Capital as a co-investor on a tender offer for Telepizza sponsored by KKR.
- Handled the acquisition of Frías Nutrición by Alantra Private Equity.
Uría Menéndez’s food and beverage practice group includes partners with corporate, IP, competition, litigation, criminal and regulatory experience. The team focuses on transactional work in the sector, including debt restructurings and M&A. Headed by joint venture, mergers and spin-offs expert Elena Úbeda, who frequently advises French and Belgian clients, the team also includes competition litigation and EU law specialist Patricia Vidal. Recent highlights include advising on the strategic deal and master franchise global alliance between Telepizza Group and Pizza Hut International.
Telepizza Group, S.A.
Investindustrial Advisors, S.A.
Burger King Spain
Miura Fund III, F.C.R.
Newrest Group Holding and Ojaco S.à.r.l (Luxembourg)
- Advised restaurant operator AmRest Holdings on the migration of its registered office from Poland to Spain, followed by the admission to listing of its shares on the Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao and Valencia stock exchanges while maintaining its dual listing on the Warsaw Stock Exchange.
- Advised on a strategic deal and master franchise global alliance between Telepizza Group and Pizza Hut International.
- Advised KKR in connection with the tender offer launched over all the outstanding shares of Telepizza Group.
Baker McKenzie’s food practice handles M&A transactions in the sector and regularly advises the shareholders of food retailers and restaurants. The group's experience in transactional matters also includes takeovers and joint ventures. The team is headed by Enrique Carretero, who is currently advising Telepizza Group on a public takeover bid by a subsidiary of KKR, and intellectual property specialist Christina Duch, who has experience in competition law and advertising. Highlights included advising Celler Mas Doix, a wine cellar, on a proposed joint venture with Cliff Lede Vineyards to expand into North America.
‘Demonstrated an extraordinary level of knowledge‘
‘Proactive and strategic team‘
Distribuidora Internacional de Alimentación, S.A. (DIA)
- Advised Telepizza Group on the public takeover bid launched by a subsidiary of KKR over the entire capital of Telepizza.
- Advised the shareholders of Codorníu, the oldest manufacturer of sparkling wine in Spain, on selling a majority of shares to the Carlyle Group.
- Advised coffee company Cafento on a competitive process for the acquisition of a majority stake in Java Republic.
DLA Piper’s ‘reactive, pragmatic’ team is currently advising Le Pain Quotidien on the acquisition of a chain of Spanish bakeries. The group handles transactional matters, regulatory investigations and litigation. Diego Ramos, who also leads the firm’s Spanish intellectual property and technology group, heads the practice. He has advised clients including Bacardi, Mondelez and IPL.
Hard Rock Café
Nomad Foods Europe
- Advised Le Pain Quotidien on the acquisition of a chain of Spanish bakeries.
- Advised Spanish brewery Corporación Hijos de Rivera (Estrella Galicia) on the US tax implications of relocating its US subsidiary from Virginia to Florida.