The ‘best in class’ Clifford Chance competition team has experience in litigation in abuse of dominance and cartel cases, EU law-related issues and merger control matters. The firm also has a growing state aid practice. Miguel Odriozola leads the team and has expertise across a range of areas, including restrictive practices and merger control operations. Also notable are counsel Begoña Barrantes, who specialises in Spanish and European competition law in a range of business areas, and senior associate Belén Irissarry, who advises on competition matters in the energy, telecoms, insurance, financial and food retail sectors.
EU and competition in Spain
‘Highly specialised lawyers, with very good knowledge of our market. Very easy to work with – it is as if they were members of the in-house team’
‘Miguel Odrioziola, Begoña Barrantes and Ana Latorre are always open minded and eager to work, no matter the issue. They are very pragmatic and attentive to the client’s needs’
‘Remarkably client-oriented and highly technically skilled team’
‘Miguel Odriozola has technical and practical knowledge in competition law. He is remarkably skilled in interacting with the competition authorities’
‘Belen Irisarry has legal expertise and is client oriented’
‘Ana Latorre provides high-value collaboration’
Cartonajes International, S.L. (International Paper)
Endesa / Enel
IAG (BA, IB)
Aeproser (Grupo BC)
- Successfully represented Telefónica in a case before the Spanish Supreme Court seeking to annul the €47m fine imposed on the client in the “short text messaging” case.
- Successfully represented Oracle before the Spanish Competition Authority (CNMC) seeking to dismiss a complaint of abuse of dominance by HP.
- Representing Moovecars in a complaint before the European Commission in relation to the Spanish regulations in the private hire vehicle sector.
Specialising in merger investigations and infringement proceedings before the Spanish Competition Authority, Garrigues also has significant experience in state aid and litigation in the EU courts. In addition, the team co-ordinates with the firm's M&A department and its international offices to assist with handling national and multi-jurisdictional merger filings. Susana Cabrera Zaragoza leads the team and focuses on Spanish merger filings, cartels, infringement proceedings and litigation. Also notable are Luis Ortiz Blanco, who has expertise in infringement proceedings and litigation, and competition law specialist Oriol Armengol, who joined from Pérez-Llorca in 2018. Marcos Araujo left the firm in 2019.
‘The team are very professional, closely involved and available’
‘They have very good knowledge of the EU institutions and after the years of collaboration, we have a nice personal relationship’
‘A deep knowledge of both national and EU competition law and of the European institutions and their procedures’
Red Eléctrica de España
- Acting for Google in proceedings seeking the annulment of the historic €4.34bn fine imposed on the client by the European Union.
- Advised REE on the competition law aspects of its acquisition of satellite operator Hispasat.
- Representing Meliá in an investigation by the European Commission into hotel accommodation agreements between the client and the largest European tour operators.
Linklaters' cross-European practice specialises in merger control matters, as well as providing experience in cartel and state aid-related work. M&A expert Jaime Pérez-Bustamante leads the practice and has particular expertise in competition matters in the financial services, healthcare, energy, and retail and distribution sectors. His team includes counsel Fredrik Löwhagen, who is a dual-qualified Spanish and Swedish lawyer and is known for acting in EU and Spanish merger control and state aid cases. Also notable is senior associate Juan Passás, who has experience advising on the competition aspects of business transactions, acting in infringement proceedings before the competition authorities, and advising on antitrust, merger control and EU law.
‘Technical knowledge and wide-ranging experience on antitrust matters’
‘Juan Passás is a pleasure to work with, top knowledge of antitrust matters, provides super quick and practical advice, extremely hardworking and always there when you need him’
El Corte Inglés
Yum! (Pizza Hut)
- Successfully represented Real Madrid in two separate state aid investigations launched by the European Commission in July 2016.
- Advising Banco Santander on the antitrust investigation launched by the Spanish Competition Authority into interest-rate derivatives attached to syndicated loans.
- Assisted Nestlé in appeal proceedings before the High Court relating to a €10.6m fine levied by the Spanish competition authority (CNMC) on the client for its alleged participation in an exchange of confidential information with other dairy companies.
Uría Menéndez's team stands out for its 'excellence, professionalism, intelligence and accessibility'. The firm covers the spectrum of EU law and competition matters, from merger control and cartel investigations to abuse of dominant position and state aid. The practice also has experience in the damages field, drawing on the firm’s litigation expertise. Jaime Folguera is active in proceedings before the European Commission and the Spanish Competition Authority, as well as before the EU and Spanish courts. He co-leads the team with the ‘committed, reliable and trustworthy’ Antonio Guerra, who has 'deep knowledge of antitrust law, processes and business’ and ‘extraordinarily good communication skills'. Also notable are Patricia Vidal, who focuses on cartel cases before the Spanish and EU authorities, and senior associate Tomás Arranz, whose expertise includes real estate, construction, insurance, banking and retail distribution.
‘They always do their best to understand the business not only from a legal point of view but also from an economic point of view’
‘They are very professional and with an expert legal and business view of each matter’
‘Uria makes the difference in all its services’
‘Antonio Guerra knows the business and he is very focused on giving the most adequate solutions in every case. He is very practical, understands the client’s business and commercial needs, and gives the most appropriate legal advice on each occasion’
‘Deep knowledge of the law, understanding of the business and markets they are working for, and communication skills’
‘Great integration within the internal teams working together’
‘Extraordinary commitment to our company and teams, sharing our goals’
‘Reliable and predictable’
‘Uria anticipates problems and difficulties and therefore solutions’
‘Cristina Areces and Tomas Arranz are hard workers and really committed to the client and their goals’
‘Alfonso Gutierrez is one of the three best competition lawyers in Spain. He is always goal oriented and has a deep knowledge of the pharma sector’
‘High degree of responsiveness from all team members and high level of technical competence’
‘Their ability to understand the business and their pragmatic approach to issues is extraordinary’
‘Jaime Folguera has an ability to identify issues and get a thorough and integrated view of the path forward, setting the right balance for business and compliance issues’
‘Tomas Arranz has a quick grasp of the situation and has an open-minded approach to look for solutions. He shows a great knowledge of the EU competition legal environment’
- Representing DAF in damages claim proceedings in Spain regarding the European trucks cartel.
- Representing Siemens in the cartel investigation carried out by the Spanish Competition Authority, including a successful leniency application.
- Representing Energizer before the European Commission regarding the clearance with remedies of the acquisition of Varta.
Cuatrecasas is known for handling complex cartel investigations, including abuse of dominant position cases and subsequent appeals before the Spanish Competition Authority (CNMC) and Spanish Supreme Court. An ‘expert in his field’, Andrew Ward has experience in national and EU merger control, antitrust, state aid and anti-dumping cases, as well as in compliance training and investigations. He co-leads the practice with competition and EU law specialist Irene Moreno-Tapia, whose expertise also includes antidumping and regulatory cases. Notable in the team is Cani Fernández, who is particularly active in merger control proceedings and investigations initiated by the CNMC.
‘The team are subject matter experts in competition law in Spain, but also bring a wider European perspective, with practitioners having also worked in Brussels and other European countries’
‘The team bring practical and commercial suggestions to complex legal issues, which for in-house lawyers distinguishes the team from other firms in this field’
‘Andrew Ward brings a vast amount of experience in competition law in Spain and elsewhere in Europe and is able to add commercial savvy to that to deliver advice in a way that is packaged appropriately for the business client’
British American Tobacco
Mediaset España Comunicación
- Successfully defended British American Tobacco against sanctions imposed by the CNMC on the largest tobacco manufacturers owing to an exchange of information infringement.
- Acting for Elecnor on a number of matters, including defending the company and its directors in the CNMC’s cartel investigation into railway electrification and advising on the introduction of compliance training in over 40 countries worldwide.
- Representing Mediaset in the CNMC’s investigation into the client and Atresmedia concerning the potential abuse of joint dominance or concerted practices relating to advertising on television in the Spanish market.
Pérez-Llorca provides multi-jurisdictional and regulatory expertise, particularly in relation to cartel cases and merger control matters. In addition, the practice is active in follow-on damages claims. Juan Jiménez-Laiglesia, who joined from EY Abogados in 2018, co-heads the competition practice with Juan Manuel Rodríguez Cárcamo, who focuses on EU law. Recent highlights include assisting MAN in connection with follow-on damages competition claims being brought against it in the Spanish courts.
Central Bank of Portugal and the Portuguese Resolution Fund
- Advised Blackstone on the merger control aspects of the acquisition of Testa Residencial, a leading Spanish company active in the real estate business.
- Advised MásMovil on the competition aspects of the acquisition of sole control of Bymóvil, the master franchisor of all Yoigo’s stores throughout Spain.
Allen & Overy
Specialising in antitrust matters, Allen & Overy provides international expertise, as well as experience in private and public enforcement and administrative contentious cases. Practice head Antonio Martínez handles a range of competition and merger control proceedings before the European Commission and the CNMC. His team was boosted by the arrival of senior associate Enrique Ferrer, who joined from J&A Garrigues SLP in 2019 and brings experience in antitrust proceedings before the CNMC and Spanish courts.
‘The team stands out for its deep technical knowledge of competition law itself, as well as related areas such as procedural law, taxation, economic aspects and the jurisprudence of the Spanish courts’
‘They have great knowledge of the business, which makes them show strategic vision in their advice, which is essential in all types of matters’
‘In addition to its deep technical knowledge, its magnificent level of English and its organisational capacity, it stands out for the personal quality of the team, its proximity and its way of getting involved in the issues, which is difficult to find in other international offices’
Altadis (Imperial Brands)
- Advised Spanish rolling stock manufacturer Talgo on its intervention in the Siemens/Alstom merger control proceedings before the European Commission.
- AdvisingThales and several of its directors on infringement proceedings brought by the CNMC, which relate to alleged market sharing arrangements (currently in the preliminary stages).
- Advising Mubadala pn the merger control aspects of the sale of a (joint) controlling stake in its subsidiary Cepsa to Carlyle.
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo has experience in a range of cartel, abuse of dominant position, merger control and state aid matters. In addition, the firm provides notable expertise in public procurement issues and preventative support. Barcelona-based Iñigo Igartua leads the practice and specialises in cartel, vertical restraint, merger control and commercial issues, representing clients before Spanish and EU courts and tribunals. His team acted for Smurfit Kappa España in an appeal filed against a decision of the CNMC to impose fines on 18 companies and a Spanish association for alleged collusion in the paper and cardboard markets.
‘Gomez-Acebo & Pombo has great and significant experience in EU and competition law and provides a very high level of service’
‘Gomez-Acebo & Pombo’s lawyers are smart, well organised and they work exceptionally as a team’
‘The team is technically excellent and very responsive’
‘Inigo Igartua is an impressive antitrust lawyer who takes time to understand his client’s business and their objectives and delivers commercial and practical advice’
‘Personal and quick response from partners with a high level of expertise’
‘Small agile team with good insights into the functioning of the local competition authority, as well as the client’s business’
‘Technically strong and efficient’
‘Inigo Igartua is very thoughtful on the law, a pleasure to work with’
Panasonic Corporation (Jap)
Schindler AG (Ger)
Smurfit Kappa (Ire)
- Provided competition advice to Domino’s Pizza in Belgium.
- Advised SAT San Antón, an association of farmers, on a claim for damages against various major companies in the dairy sector in connection with the milk cartel.
- Defended Ecoembes, one of the waste management monopolists in Spain, against a complaint filed by one of the purchasers of recycled materials, which accused the client of abuse of dominant position and other alleged anticompetitive behaviour.
The ‘accessible and practical’ Hogan Lovells International LLP is experienced in merger control, as well as behavioural and antitrust matters. The firm is also active in providing compliance and regulatory advice to national and international clients. The ‘excellent’ Casto González-Páramo leads the practice and is ‘knowledgeable, practical and positive’. His team is advising CaixaBank in a contentious administrative appeal against a sanction imposed by the CNMC, relating to alleged price fixing of hedging derivatives in syndicated loan products.
‘Hogan Lovells has broad experience in many sectors, including the automotive industry’
‘Casto González-Páramo is a very good professional, with deep knowledge of EU and competition law’
‘Casto González-Páramo tries to understand the business reasons behind the requests of the client. The team react promptly and are able to cooperate with other legal firms in complex cases’
‘Casto González-Páramo is able to work in a collegial manner. He is easy to work with and has a down-to-earth approach to complex legal matters in EU law’
- Representing Alstom in sanctioning proceedings initiated by the CNMC.
- Advising Fiat Chrysler Automobiles on its alleged participation in the vehicle manufacturers’ information-sharing cartel.
- Representing paper company Antalis in its appeal before the National Court against sanctions imposed by the CNMC relating to the paper envelopes cartel.
MLAB Abogados, SLP
Boutique firm Martínez Lage, Allendesalazar & Brokelmann (MLAB) specialises in EU and competition law, with particular expertise in the regulated sectors. The firm also has notable experience in litigation before the EU and national courts. Founder and president of the firm Santiago Martínez Lage is known for advising on free movement of goods, member state liability and legal privilege. He co-leads the practice with Rafael Allendesalazar, who represents companies, as well as public and private bodies, in front of the competition authorities, and Helmut Brokelmann, who specialises in merger filings, cartels and other infringement proceedings.
‘They dig deep into the details of the business with respect to competition law’
‘They have practical criteria in terms of deciding what is relevant or not, what information helps and what can be counterproductive, and what goes on in the field of competition law that is relevant in each situation’
‘Helmut Brokelman is very knowledgeable, sharp in his analysis, has very good argumentative capabilities in front of the authorities and the court, and is trusted to defend his clients’ best interests’
‘Paloma Martinez Lage is very knowledgeable, with a lot of common sense in her analysis and deep knowledge of each case’
Printeos (formerly Tompla)
Curium (formerly IBA Molecular)
Fabrica Nacional de Moneda y Timbre (Spanish Mint and Stamp Factory)
Euromaster / Michelin
- Representing Altice in an action against the decision of the European Commission that imposed a €124.5m fine on the client for “gun-jumping”.
- Representing Prisa Noticias, Vocento and Grupo Godó, the three main Spanish press publishers, in a merger (joint venture) filing with the CNMC.
- Successfully represented telecoms operator Orange Spain in its appeal against the €29.5m fine imposed by the CNMC for abuse of a collective dominant position together with Telefonica and Vodafone.
Experienced in merger control cases, Ashurst LLP is particularly active appealing the CNMC's decisions before the courts, as well as representing clients before the European Court of Justice. ‘True expert’ Rafael Baena is ‘smart, quick, always available’ and covers matters from merger control and abuse of dominance to cartels and competition law in Latin America. He leads a team that was boosted by the 2018 arrivals of Pablo Garcia-Manzano, the former deputy secretary of state for the Spanish Ministry of Energy, Tourism and Digital Agenda, who focuses on procedural rights, competition in regulated sectors and public procurement, and counsel Pablo Garcia Mexía, who specialises in competition-related issues in the internet and IT fields.
‘Rafael Baena is very close to the business, with very broad experience in competition and antitrust issues. He is a great partner’
’24/7 availability of extremely good partners to provide clear and practical solutions to complex matters’
‘Rafael Baena has a deep commercial understanding of the industry. He is available at all times, and combines an outstanding knowledge of local, EU and comparative law with the ability to provide extremely practical and concise advice’
Altadis (Imperial Tobacco)
Developers and Alliance
Ediciones Vicens Vives
Electroson Telecomunicación S.A.
- Assisting Altadis in a very complex antitrust investigation by the CNMC regarding an alleged infringement of Article 101 TFEU and Article 1 of the Defence of Competition Act (LDC) in the tobacco sector in Spain.
- Advised HP on its successful appeal against the CNMC’s decision to close an abuse of dominance investigation against Oracle.
- Representing Hyundai in its appeal before the National Court against the decision of the CNMC finding that the company participated in an exchange of information cartel in the Spanish automobile sector, and against the subsequent €4.5m fine.
Baker McKenzie specialises in multi-jurisdictional matters in the pharma, healthcare and media sectors. The firm is experienced in advising clients on vertical agreements, as well as providing a growing merger control practice. Barcelona-based Carles Prat advises on abuse of dominant position matters, and Valeria Enrich, who is also based in Barcelona, has expertise in the chemical, pharmaceutical, food, cosmetics and retail sectors. Since publication, Alberto Escudero has left the firm.
‘Good technical knowledge combined with being extremely responsive and available lawyers’
‘Capacity to build longstanding relationships through openness and respect’
‘Carles Prat has always been a great colleague to work with. He understands his clients’ needs and adapts his delivery and communication accordingly’
‘Compared with other law firms that advise our company, the service is quicker and more accurate’
‘What makes the real difference versus competitors is the quick advice, based on experience of the company’
Honda Motor Europe Limited
Association of Catalan Bar Associations, Bar Association of Barcelona, Bar Association of Lleida, Bar Association of Figueres.
- Advised the Asian hotels multinational Minor Hotels on its notification to the CMNC of its €2.5bn public bid to acquire the Spanish hotel multinational NH Hotels.
- Advising Fluidra on the implementation of remedies imposed by the European Commission following the authorisation of its merger with US company Zodiac (one of its main competitors).
- Assisted BP with the merger control notification to the CNMC of its acquisition of Petrocorner.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP’s team provides expertise in damages, public law and unfair trade practices, across a range of competition and antitrust matters. The firm has experience acting in cartel-related investigations, including dawn raids and judicial reviews, as well as in merger control and damage claims cases. In terms of sector expertise, the practice is particularly seasoned in the retail, distribution, energy, infrastructure and digital markets areas. The ‘pragmatic, quick and efficient’ Henar González Durántez leads the team and represents clients before the competition authorities and courts, with a focus on dawn raids, cartels and investigations into unfair practices.
‘The team has a very high level of involvement which makes coworking better and smoother’
‘Henar Gonzalez as a partner and leader of the team is outstanding in many ways’
- Successfully represented Europac before the National Court in an appeal against a decision issued by the CNMC in a cartel investigation involving most of the paper and cardboard companies in Spain.
- Advised Abengoa, and its affiliate, Inabensa, on a cartel investigation initiated by the CNMC regarding bid rigging in public contracts for the construction, installation and maintenance of electromechanical systems in conventional and high-speed railway lines.
- Represented Acciona and Air Nostrum in respect of merger control proceedings before the CNMC related to the acquisition of joint control by these two groups over Intermodalidad de Levante, the first private passenger railway transport operator in Spain.
Marimón Abogados has experience in a range of competition and EU law matters, notably related litigation. The firm also provides expertise in the fast-moving consumer goods, pharma, sports, retail and transport sectors. Madrid-based Diego Crespo specialises in merger control and infringement procedures before EU and Spanish enforcement authorities, as well as appeals before the courts. He co-leads the team with Barcelona-based Stefan Rating, who joined from legacy firm Rating Legis SLP in 2018 and is known for advising Spanish and international clients on complex competition issues.
‘Specialised knowledge in the subject, both theoretical and practical’
‘Accessibility and good relationship’
‘Quality of work performed and price is good’
‘The experience in the area of competition and EU law is very remarkable’
‘The team has an excellent ability to combine practical solutions with an excellent theoretical base’
‘Their understanding of the sports sector and the problems that arise with competition law regulations makes our work as internal lawyers much easier’
‘Stefan Rating and Yolanda Martinez are excellent professionals who perfectly understand the business needs. Both are great jurists, and they prepare reports that are very complete but at the same time simple to understand. Their kindness and ability to adapt to complicated deadlines makes them one of our points of reference’
‘I am very happy with the service that I have had from Marimon in this field’
‘They are very easy to work with and comprehensive’
‘We have achieved excellent results working in a very difficult area’
Hércules de Alicante Club de Fútbol
- Represented Henkell & Co Gruppe in its acquisition of Freixenet, including advising on the competition law aspects of the transaction.
- Advised Qustodio and Kidslox, two parental control software developers, on their complaint to the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Competition regarding anti-competitive practices in the App Store marketplace.
- Represented Isolux Corsán in a cartel investigation in the railway electrification sector.
Cross-border specialist Bird & Bird covers a range of competition law matters, including proceedings before the European and Spanish competition authorities, merger control and antitrust damages claims. As well as being strong in litigation, the firm has expertise in sectors ranging from IT, energy and media to automotive, banking and financial services. Competition law expert Patricia Liñán leads the practice and has experience advising on compliance, distribution and antitrust matters.
Nokia Spain, S.A.
Grupo Lactalis Iberia, S.A.U. (Lactalis)
Adveo Group International, S.A. (Adveo)
Recuperaciones Riojanas, S.A. (Recirsa)
Transportes Hermanos Corredor, S.A. (Hermanos Corredor)
Federación Empresarial Balear De Transporte (FEBT)
Medtronic Ibérica, S.A. (Medtronic)
Puleva Food, S.L.
- Representing Nokia Spain in sanctioning proceedings brought by the CNMC.
- Representing Grupo Lactalis Iberia in sanctioning proceedings brought by the CNMC.
- Advising Privalia on a daily basis on competition law-related issues.
The broad practice of BROSETA Abogados is particularly experienced in domestic and international merger control matters, notably in Latam jurisdictions. The firm also advises companies and public administration bodies on state aid issues. José Manuel Sipos joined from PwC Tax & Legal Services in 2018, bringing experience in advising national and multinational companies on competition regulations and representing clients before the Spanish, European and Latin American authorities. He co-leads the team with senior adviser Luis Berenguer, who specialises in competition, industrial property, bankruptcy, corporate and insurance law. Carlos Vérgez left for CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo in 2018.
‘José Manuel Sipos’ main quality is his knowledge of the material’
‘The experience and knowledge of the subject from a legal, procedural and technical point of view’
‘José Manuel Sipos demonstrates great knowledge and extensive experience. His advice is global, from all points of view’
Moove and Unauto VTC
Central Lechera Asturiana
Corporación Alimentaria Peñasanta (Capsa)
Confederación De Empresarios De La Provincia De Cádiz (CEC)
Asociación De Empresas De La Bahía De Algeciras (Aesba)
Automóviles La Alcoyana
Alberto Cerdeño Gómez
- Advised Kimberly Clark Ecuador and Colombiana Kimberly Colpapel regarding the leniency framework at European Union level in Spain and in other EU member states.
- Advised Citracc in an antitrust procedure before the CNMC over public tenders called by Adif relating to railway infrastructure.
- Advising Central Lechera Asturiana and Corporación Alimentaria Peñasanta in an antitrust procedure before the CNMC relating to major players in the dairy industry in Spain which supposedly exchanged commercially sensitive information.
Boutique competition firm Callol, Coca & Asociados acts on the full spectrum of matters related to EU and Spanish competition law, notably merger control, cartel cases, abuse of dominance cases, antitrust litigation and state aid. The firm also has experience acting before the courts on the judicial review of decisions issued by the competition authorities. Dual qualified in the UK and Spain, Pedro Callol leads the practice and specialises in competition and trade regulation. The team acted for Oxford University Press España in an antitrust investigation into the textbook markets in Spain, launched by the CNMC.
‘This firm is a boutique competition law practice’
‘They are responsive, engaged, interested in our business, level headed, and excellent to work with under pressure’
‘We received clear and pragmatic guidance about Spanish merger control requirements, procedure and timelines’
‘Pedro Callol and his team have strong expertise and are very familiar with the merger control processes. This allowed us to properly prepare our matter and avoid any surprise’
‘They followed up the matter in a very professional manner’
‘Highly regarded independent competition law firm, with a strong reputation in Spain and experience of working with leading international law firms’
‘Pedro Callol is knowledgeable, commercial, energetic, responsive, well connected, experienced and pragmatic. We enjoy working with him’
Oxford University Press España
Asociación Naviera de Valencia
García Munté Energía (GME)
20th Century Fox
- Acted for UdER before the Supreme Court in appeal against a judgment that confirmed a decision issued by the CNMC declaring the existence of anticompetitive agreements in the paper recycling market at national level and the commercialisation of paper waste.
- Acted for hmR, as the complainant, in a case before the CNMC against IMS Health, several pharma distributors and software houses regarding possible anticompetitive practices in Spain.
- Representing 20th Century Fox in an appeal against the decision issued by the CNMC recalculating a fine imposed upon the company.
Specialising in merger control cases and infringement procedures, CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo is particularly active in the consumer goods sector. Carlos Vérgez, who joined from BROSETA Abogados in 2018, leads the practice. He brings experience in advising multinationals on competition law and unfair competition. Notable in his team is senior associate Aida Oviedo, who has expertise advising on restrictive practices, abuse of dominant position, merger control and unfair competition.
Coca-Cola European Partners
Hijos De Rivera
Advance Publications Inc.
Tendam Global Fashion Retail
Hüttenes Albertus Ilarduya
- Advising Coca-Cola European Partners on all aspects of competition and distribution law, including the review of contracts, promotional actions and specific antitrust issues.
- Advised textile machinery and automobile components producer Rieter on the notification to the CNMC of its acquisition of joint control over Catalan company Electro-Jet.
- Advised Chinese group Sinochem on the acquisition of Elix Polymers from a multi-jurisdictional merger control perspective.
DelaCalle Abogados SLP
Competition boutique DelaCalle Abogados SLP has an international focus and specialises in cartel investigations and advice on merger control assignments with a multi-jurisdictional component. Cartel expert Sanna Orkan co-leads the practice with José Antonio de la Calle, who advises companies, trade associations and government agencies in a wide range of industries. The team represented Eurowag before the CNMC in a merger control investigation following its acquisition of a group of companies.
‘Focus and expertise in competition legislation’
‘Jose Antonio de la Calle demonstrates proactiveness, attention to detail and professionalism in his responses and also his availability and responsiveness during the process’
Companhia Industrial Quintas & Quintas, SGPS, SA
Fintonic Servicios Financieros, S.L.
González Byass, S.A.
Leroy-Somer – Moteurs Leroy-Somer SAS
Lotte Chemical Corporation
Solidal Condutores Eléctricos, S.A.
- Representing the leading sherry bodega González Byass in a landmark Supreme Court case that will establish whether the CNMC is bound by specific time limits when calculating an antitrust fine anew following a judicial decision.
DLA Piper is noted for its use of innovative technology, including AI, to assist in competition audits, risk reviews and other investigations. The firm also has expertise in merger control matters. Joaquin Hervada leads the team and specialises in M&A and infringement procedures, handling administrative proceedings and litigation before the Spanish and EU courts.
‘DLA has an outstanding team’
‘Their technical knowledge is impressive and they know how to manage the problem, contributing great value to the business’
‘I highlight their involvement in the case and the understanding of the needs of the client’
‘Joaquin Hervada has exceptional skills, not only from the technical side but also to understand and anticipate the client’s business needs. He is directly involved in managing cases, advising with very good judgement’
Dentsu Aegis Network
Macmillan / Springer Nature
Asociación Nacional de Establecimientos Financieros de Crédito (ASNEF)
- Advising Quirónsalud on the merger control procedure arising from its acquisition of a hospital in Albacete.
- Advising Vodafone and Orange on the compatibility with Spanish and European competition rules of the mobile and fixed network sharing agreements reached by both parties in Spain.
- Advising German group Hubert Burda Media on the merger control procedure arising from the acquisition of Heinrich Bauer Media Spain by its subsidiary, Blue Ocean Entertainment.
King & Wood Mallesons
King & Wood Mallesons' competition team has experience advising across a range of sectors, from energy and infrastructure to industrials and investment funds. As well as acting domestically, the firm is known for representing clients in Latin America, notably in competition matters related to cross-border M&A. Alfredo Guerrero co-leads the practice with Ramón García-Gallardo, who acts for clients before the Spanish competition authority and the courts, as well as specialising in EU and competition litigation before the EU Commission and the European courts in Belgium and Luxembourg.
‘KWM presents a highly qualified service with assertiveness, experience and management skills’
‘Their talent and management skills definitely stand out’
‘We would like to highlight the excellent work of Ramon Garcia-Gallardo for his knowledge and experience in the matters of competition law’
‘Personalised attention and regulatory knowledge’
Consejo General de Procuradores de España
Valencia Club de Fútbol
Sixt Rent a Car
Daimler Mercedes Benz
World Fishing Company
American Bureau of Shipping
- Representing Valencia Football Club in state aid proceedings.
- Advised Grupo Antolín on the competition law aspecst of a strategic alliance agreement with a Japanese company.
- Advised NovEnergia Holding Company on the notification of the operation by which First State Investments planned to acquire the client’s business.
Well known for litigation before the Spanish courts, Latham & Watkins LLP has particular expertise in antitrust enforcement and advisory matters, as well as cross-border cases. Practice head José María Jiménez-Laiglesia joined from DLA Piper in 2018 and focuses on competition litigation. His team includes associate Carlos Betoret Leuba, who joined from Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in 2018 and advises national and international clients on cartels, abuse of dominant position, and horizontal and vertical agreements, as well as merger control-related matters.
‘Very good team with a very high degree of knowledge and experience’
‘Latham & Watkins’ Madrid team includes one of the best competition law specialists’
‘We value their capacity to analyse and quickly see the real issues, come up with excellent arguments and find useful solutions for clients’
‘We value their capacity to deal with and convince the competition authority’
‘José María Jiménez-Laiglesia has great knowledge of competition law and a great capacity to understand the nature and particularities of the activities carried out by his clients’
The Carlyle Group
- Advised The Carlyle Group on the antitrust aspects of its acquisition of joint control in Cepsa from Mubadala based on an enterprise value of $12bn.
- Obtained global merger clearances on behalf of Votorantim for its sale of Fibria, a pulp manufacturer, to competitor Suzano.
- Assisting Novelis, a world leader in aluminium rolling and recycling, in obtaining global merger clearances for the acquisition of Aleris Corporation, a competing global supplier of rolled aluminium products.
The ‘excellent’ MVA ASOCIADOS has ‘huge expertise and knowledge in competition matters’, advising clients before Spanish and EU institutions and courts. The ‘well-coordinated’ firm is focused on compliance matters, infringement proceedings, merger control and damages claims. Competition and regulatory specialist Eduardo Abril leads the practice and is an ‘excellent lawyer - pragmatic, sharp and quick’; he is also well regarded for his ability to ‘think outside the box when needed’.
‘The team transmits confidence, in-depth technical knowledge and an ability to translate this expertise into pragmatic hands-on actions’
‘Eduardo Abril always meets deadlines and has shown good negotiation and communication skills, both in Spanish and English’
‘Eduardo Abril spent a lot of time understanding our problem and looking for legal solutions’
‘Eduardo Abril is a great professional in competition law and is always fully available for us’
‘The cost of MVA’s assistance is quite reasonable and the communication with Eduardo Abril and his team has been always very fluid at any time of the day’
‘Total availability and, what is more important, the team knows about its business. They give us quick, to-the-point answers, just what we need’
‘Eduardo Abril has huge expertise. He is technically excellent with a practical approach. He explains the issues so that they can easily be understood by non-expert lawyers’
‘Antonio Robles has an impressive theoretical and practical approach to the key issues of the case’
Acer (Agency For The Cooperation Of Energy Regulators) and Acer’s Board Of Appeal
Andicop (Asociación Nacional De Distribuidores E Importadores De Maquinaria De Obra Pública, Minería Y Construcción)
AV Energía Soltaica Tres, S.L.
BP Oil España
Gestora De Residuos Agrícolas, S.A.
Holmen Group (through its subsidiary Holmer Paper Madrid, S.L.)
Naturgy Group (formerly Gas Natural Fenosa)
Sedigas (Asociación Española Del Gas)
Alba Group (through its Spanish subsidiary Alba Servicios Verdes, S.A.)
Arema (Asociación De La Recuperación Y El Reciclado De Madrid)
Carpa Cartón Y Papel Reciclado, S.L.
Hnos. Inglés-Vidal, S.L.
Hijos De Demetrio Fernández, S.A. (Defesa)
Reciclajes Elda, S.L.
- Successfully represented Alba Group, through its Spanish subsidiary Alba Servicios Verdes, before the Spanish Supreme Court in a cartel case.
- Advised the Agency for the Cooperation of the Energy Regulators (Acer) and its board of appeal on a wide range of matters related to the competences attributed to Acer.
- Successfully represented Defesa before the Spanish Supreme Court in a nationwide cartel case.
Ramón y Cajal Abogados has expertise in merger control and infringement proceedings, as well as private enforcement, primarily acting for the claimants. Competition and antitrust specialist Pedro Suarez leads the practice and represented Bankia before the competition authority in a matter that resulted in the declaration of illegality of the rules issued by lawyers’ associations relating to the calculation of litigation costs.
‘Ease of access, availability, customer service, clarity in the explanations and arguments of the line of defence’
‘Knowledge of the regulator’
‘The ability of Pedro Suárez to answer questions and explain the line of defence is very remarkable’
‘In complex subjects, they demonstrate great capacity for analysis to understand the relevant issues’
‘It is a large law firm, with an excellent team’
‘José Ignacio Vega and Pedro Suarez are two national lawyers who above all have great practical knowledge’
‘Great capacity to empathise with the business’
‘High level of knowledge in the field. Agility and speed’
‘Pedro Suarez is an excellent professional with great capacity for adaptation and availability’
BSH Electrodomésticos España
JEZ Sistemas Ferroviarios
- Acting for Bankia in follow-on damages litigation following a successful complaint brought by the client before the Spanish competition authority.
- Advising BBVA in a competition authority investigation into agreements entered into by the client and three other large Spanish banks (CaixaBank, Santander and Banco Sabadell) concerning the pricing of derivatives linked to syndicated loan facilities.
- Acting for Telefónica in a court appeal against a decision of the competition authority imposing an obligation on the client to compensate pay TV competitors Vodafone, Telecable and Total Channel for an alleged breach of the conditions imposed on the Telefónica/DTS merger.