Energy in South West
Burges Salmon LLP has expertise in cutting-edge and innovative energy projects, particularly in relation to conventional power, as well as the renewables and nuclear industries. Described by one client as ‘the Rolls-Royce of his sector’, Ian Salter is a nationally recognised name in the field of nuclear law. Salter jointly leads the practice with Ross Fairley, who is ‘one of very few true experts around’ in the renewables industry. Julian Boswall has particular expertise in consenting offshore wind projects, as well as onshore wind and gas-fired power station projects. Associate Alec Whiter is another name to note.
Ross Fairley; Ian Salter
‘Highly credible expertise in the energy sector‘
‘The best mix of high-quality legal advice, quick client service, and exceptional value for money’
‘The firm has unrivalled expertise in energy construction projects’
‘Ross Fairley quickly identifies and focuses on the key value drivers to help clients deliver new and innovative energy solutions’
‘Due to his expert knowledge, Ian Salter is able to advise on all aspects of nuclear law’
‘Ian Salter is very measured and calm but also highly efficient in bringing solutions’
‘Ian Truman is extremely thorough, very commercial and client-focused‘
Marks & Spencer
Office of Gas and Electricity Markets
Green Investment Group
Cayman Islands Government
- Advising Ørsted on the Hornsea Project One offshore wind farm.
- Advising Seagreen Wind Energy on its Firth of Forth Round 3 offshore wind farm.
- Advising Wave Hub on the world’s first wave energy array testing facility.
- Advising the Cayman Islands government on the delivery and procurement of a new waste-to-energy scheme and a waste management system.
The energy and utilities team at Osborne Clarke stands out due to its market-leading expertise in both conventional and alternative energy, particularly solar projects, smart energy and energy interface, renewables, energy investment, and energy-from-waste and biomass. There is a notable cross-border dimension to the group’s work, with it advising international investors and contractors on projects in the Middle East, Africa and Europe. David Ferris specialises in power project finance and corporate transactions in the energy sector. Carl Thompson is experienced in solar, biomass, energy-from-waste and interconnector projects.
Matthew Lewis; James Watson; Simon Hobday
‘A solid and highly professional team‘
‘Without a doubt, the team is very visible on the energy market‘
John Laing Environmental Assets Group
The Renewables Infrastructure Group
InfraRed Capital Partners
Green Frog Power
Bioenergy Infrastructure Group
- Advising Centrica on a pioneering programme to explore flexible, smart energy solutions in the UK.
- Advising Northacre Renewable Energy, as the sponsor and development vehicle, on the development of the Northacre energy-from-waste project.
- Advised The Renewables Infrastructure Group on its £82m acquisition of Solwaybank, an onshore wind farm development located in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland.
- Advised renewable energy provider Solarplicity on the £120m sale of 133MW of solar assets.
TLT’s ‘excellent’ cross-disciplinary team advises a wide variety of clients, including developers, contractors, funders, equity investors, suppliers and government entities. Its work covers a broad cross-section of energy schemes, such as those involving onshore and offshore wind, solar, energy storage, gas peaking, biomass and tidal power. The group is also sought out for advice on emerging technologies, such as electric vehicles and their associated infrastructure. ‘Incredible energy specialist’ Maria Connolly, who heads up the department, has extensive experience of wind, solar, biomass, hydro and energy storage projects. Legal director Stuart Urquhart is recommended for his regulatory expertise, and also his experience of commercial contracts related to energy generation and supply.
Other key lawyers:
‘TLT provides an excellent option for clients seeking wide-ranging advice in the niche energy sector’
‘TLT’s energy practice is second to none in the mid-market’
‘TLT’s ability to resource various specialist teams and to work across multiple jurisdictions is greatly appreciated’
‘Stuart Urquhart is a true specialist who is able to handle complex matters’
Guinness Asset Management
The Co-operative Group
The Renewable Infrastructure Group
- Advised Santander on a £28.5m debt funding facility provided to Battery Energy Storage Solutions.
- Advised Eelpower on its acquisition of a large energy storage scheme from Anesco.
- Advised Thrive Renewables on a joint venture with Aura Power to supply medium and large energy users with free battery storage installations in return for revenue share.
- Advised NextEnergy Capital, investment manager for the NextEnergy Solar Fund, on its £9.3m acquisition of two co-located solar and battery storage projects.
- Advised Arlington Energy on the sale of a developed 20MW gas site in Chesterfield and a developed 40MW energy storage site in Bedford.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP’s specialist energy and natural resources team covers energy matters relating to energy regulation and disputes, as well as corporate and commercial transactions. Practice head Chris Towner focuses on the commercial aspects of energy projects. Also notable is that the firm fields a sizeable oil and gas team, which boosts its international presence; Simon Hewes is a key contact for transactional advice in this space. Stephen Dilley represents clients in energy-related disputes.
Chariot Oil & Gas
Dudgeon Offshore Wind
Office of Gas and Electricity Markets (Ofgem)
Renewable Energy Generation
Renewable Energy Systems
Renewables Infrastructure Group
- Advising Dudgeon Offshore Wind on multiple matters regarding the development of Dudgeon Offshore Wind Farm.
- Advised Ofgem on the implications of developing a new regime to competitively tender new, separable and high-value transmission assets.
- Advising Vattenfall on a 1.8GW offshore wind proposal located off the coast of Norfolk.
- Advising Cuadrilla Resources on a wide range of oil and gas and associated issues relating to its onshore shale gas operations, including development work for its Preston New Road site.
- Advised Ovo Energy Limited on all aspects of the acquisition of Spark Energy.
The energy and waste team at Ashfords LLP has a wealth of knowledge about renewable energy, municipal energy-from-waste, biomass and waste gasification, pyrolysis, and anaerobic digestion projects. It covers all commercial and legal aspects of domestic and international projects, including transactions and contentious matters. Neel Mehta joined from TLT in July 2018, boosting the firm’s capacity to advise on complex energy-from-waste issues. Practice head Ruth Murray provides advice on project development, contracts and commissioning of large high-value energy generation schemes and renewable energy projects.
Other key lawyers:
‘Leaders in very niche areas‘
‘Very quick to respond‘
Strutt & Parker (Farms)
Mariana Capital Markets LLP
A London-based EIS Fund
Public Power Solutions
- Advising Ixora on the optimisation of a £100m portfolio of anaerobic digestion facilities.
- Representing Fraddon Biogas in a challenge by the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets (Ofgem) regarding the eligibility of glycerol use under the Renewable Heat Incentive Scheme (RHI) regulations.
- Representing Strutt & Parker (Farms) in a challenge by Ofgem regarding the eligibility of Proflo as a feedstock under the RHI regulations.
- Advised Mariana Capital Markets on the acquisition of two solar arrays.
- Advising Public Power Solutions on the suite of documents required to facilitate the development of a renewable energy installation.
Bevan Brittan LLP's Bristol office leads the firm's national energy practice, which has standout capabilities in energy-from-waste, energy innovation and renewable energy. District energy is another bedrock of the firm's work. The client base is varied and includes generation plants as well as property developers, banks and equity funders, and public sector organisations. Nadeem Arshad, who heads up the practice, has a strong track-record acting for public and private sector clients. Nathan Bradberry’s practice focuses on infrastructure projects in the energy, environment and waste sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is highly professional and easy to work with‘
Legal & General
North Yorkshire County Council
Sheffield City Council
Whitehill & Bordon
Liverpool City Council
Birmingham City Council
London Borough of Barking & Dagenham
- Advising North Yorkshire County Council on an £800m project involving the development of an energy recovery facility and an anaerobic digestion plant.
- Advised Resource Recovery Solutions on the development of an 11MW gasification energy-from-waste plant.
- Advising Argent as the master developer on all utilities and district energy aspects of the Brent Cross South regeneration development in North West London.
- Advising Viridor on the development of a 15MW waste gasification plant.
- Advised Birmingham City Council on the refurbishment of the Tyseley 25MW energy recovery facility.
The ‘extremely capable’ lawyers at Foot Anstey handle matters concerning renewable energy transactions, emerging technologies, and generation and distribution projects, among others. The team works closely with other departments in providing assistance to its growing client base, which includes developers and funders of energy projects. The ‘very knowledgeable’ Chris Pritchett, who leads the department, specialises in battery storage, electric vehicle infrastructure and renewables projects and financing. Stuart Cleak leads on the real estate aspects of energy projects; Cleak’s practice places special emphasis on renewables.
Other key lawyers:
Pivot Power LLP
NEC Energy Solutions
British Solar Renewables
- Advising Omnio Energy on matters such as warranties and supply contracts concluded with foreign suppliers, asset management arrangements, and contractual proposals with end-user customers.
- Advised Pivot Power on its ground-breaking battery storage project at the Emirates Stadium.
- Advised Eden Geothermal on the development of a deep geothermal energy project.
- Advising Arenko Group on all real estate aspects concerning its battery storage pipeline, including the 41MW Bloxwich project.
- Advised Aspen Infrastructure on the sale of two operational solar projects.
Michelmores LLP is particularly active in energy-related development and project finance matters. The scope of its practice covers many types of projects, including energy-from-waste, gas-to-grid, solar PV, wind, battery storage and electric vehicles, among others. A significant portion of the team’s work has an international dimension, and it is frequently sought out in overseas energy projects. ‘Pragmatic’ practice head Ian Holyoak focuses on project finance, while the ‘brilliant’ Alexandra Watson advises on all aspects of corporate energy transactions.
Other key lawyers:
‘The availability of solicitors is excellent’
‘The team always gets the job done’
‘The group has a deep understanding of the market as well as impressive experience in handling different types of projects’
‘Alexandra Watson is very commercial and focused on the needs of the client’
‘Ian Holyoak is extremely knowledgeable and provides spot-on advice’
Guinness Asset Management
Outlook Energy Services
Zestec Asset Management
- Acting for Rendesco Holdings on the reorganisation, bank funding and bond issue of the Rendesco group, developers of commercial ground source heat pumps.
- Acting for Dove Renewables on its crowdfunded IFISA bond for the financing of two hydroelectric installations.
- Advising BioWatt on a range of construction-related transactional and contentious matters regarding the development, operation and engineering services provided in relation to AD projects.
- Advising Chilworth Construction Management on the construction management documentation regarding an energy-from-waste plant in Dundee.
Boutique law firm Renew Legal focuses on advising clients in the renewable energy industry. Its team has particular expertise in offshore wind; this is an area of focus for practice co-head Christie Skudder, who is ‘a pleasure to work with’. The group also handles a large volume of matters in relation to onshore wind farms and solar energy projects. ‘Simply fantastic’ department co-head Rob Laddle is the lead adviser on distributed generation. In May 2018, Helen Rumford joined from Thrings LLP.
Rob Laddle; Christie Skudder
‘The team is composed of exceptional energy specialists, who provide an extremely efficient and responsive legal service’
‘The team has specialist knowledge across all possible aspects of the renewable sector, which makes it well-placed to cover everything, from transactional work through to disputes and litigation’
‘Impressive partner-led service’
‘Rob Laddle offers brilliant and creative legal advice’
‘Rob Laddle demonstrates flexibility in solving problems and in delivering commercial outcomes. Rob is able to simplify complex legal issues, which allows the client to take clearer decisions’
‘Christie Skudder has the unique ability to provide clear and concise advice on matters which are innovative and complex’
Peak Power Connections
The Carbon and Energy Fund
Construct South West
Farm Power Apollo
Renewable Energy Systems
- Acted for Peak Power Connections on the sale of a number of development project sites.
- Provided in-house support to John Laing Capital Management across a portfolio of onshore wind, solar and AD plant assets.
- Acting for Sovereign Energy Partners on the sale of a 5MW solar project.
Clarke Willmott LLP's energy and natural resources group assists both local and foreign clients with legal issues arising from infrastructure projects, high-value developments and the construction of power stations. The team also focuses on transactional work in the renewables sector. Practice head Priscilla Hall advises developers on energy technology. Laurence Lacey handles the property aspects of energy projects.
Other key lawyers:
EnviTec Biogas AG
Alpha Real Capital
Styles & Wood Group
- Advising Future Biogas on its portfolio of biogas plants as well as on acquisitions of new sites.
- Providing operational advice to a clean energy joint venture vehicle on a ten-year NEC3 contract for a major infrastructure project.
The energy and utilities team at VWV includes energy disputes specialist Ed Husband and planning and infrastructure expert David Bird, who advises clients on new pipelines and the enforcement of rights in relation to existing pipelines. Jason Prosser leads the group, whose expertise includes energy plants, combined heat and power plants, commercial biomass installations, district heating systems, wind farms, solar farms and energy performance contracting. Commercial partner Edward Rimmell is another key figure.
EDF Energy Customers
Hills Waste Solutions
United Gas & Power
CLH Pipeline System
- Represented EDF Energy Customers in a reported case concerning recovery of liquidated damages from a supplier who failed to provide energy-saving measures promised under the Energy Company Obligation scheme.
- Advising Hills Waste Solutions on the development of an energy-from-waste facility adjacent to its existing waste treatment facility.
- Advising ULC Robotics International on the terms of high-value contracts with two of the UK’s largest gas network operators.
- Advised United Gas & Power on the development of its terms and conditions of gas and electricity supply, together with associated regulatory advice.