Employment: Dorset and South Wiltshire in South West
Ellis Jones Solicitors LLP
Ellis Jones Solicitors LLP's employment and HR department primarily serves SME employers and individuals in senior positions. The practice acts for businesses across a number of industries, but is particularly strong in the education and charities sectors. On the employee side, the firm specialises in acting for LGBT clients; recent work included several gender reassignment discrimination cases against high-profile employers. Recently promoted partner Kate Brooks heads up the department.
‘The team at Ellis Jones has a fantastic knowledge of their subject and a real empathy for clients, I would always recommend them‘
‘They are fast to respond, and demonstrate their have your interests at heart. They are direct, honest and effective, and always easy to talk to‘
‘We would especially recommend Kate Brooks‘
Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra
The Swanage Railway Trust
- Ongoing employment law and HR related advice to Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra on restructures, interface with Musicians Agreement and union, threatened claims and settlement agreements.
- Specialist TUPE advice to a client on a complicated transaction with several service provision changes.
- Assisted a client with updating all staff documents following transition to an Academy, advised and assisted with consultation via the trade union.
- Advised a client on TUPE and employee clauses of share purchase agreement. The client was purchasing a business with over 500 employees.
- Negotiated a settlement deal for client, who had brought a case of alleged gender reassignment discrimination.
Lester Aldridge LLP retains strong links with clients in the Dorset area. It provides ongoing employment advice to employers, senior executives, directors and shareholders, and high net worth individuals. The firm also has an expanding client base outside of Dorset, with it generating work from instructing parties based in Hampshire, Wiltshire and London. Catharine Geddes and Kevin Barnett are the key names in the team, which is adept in contentious and non-contentious matters.
Catharine Geddes; Kevin Barnett
‘Great depth of experience in all areas of Law. This enables the employment law team to be able to respond to a very wide area of queries‘
‘The size of the employment law team means that I know them very well and they know me and my organisation‘
‘I consider this team to be by far the most credible and professional that I have worked with‘
‘Catharine Geddes is extremely professional, yet very easy to talk to and gain a clear understanding of what advice she is giving‘
‘Catharine takes time to really drill down to the situation and gives excellent support that is naturally aligned to the lower level of risk that our organisation prefers to work at‘
Curtiss Wright Group
Ceuta Holdings Limited
Data Installations and Networking Services Limited T/a Data Techniques
Osprey Europe Limited
FRP Advisory LLP
Moorfields Advisory Limited
Dorset Wildlife Trust
Global Maritime Consultancy Limited
- Represent the respondent in multiple race discrimination claims involving key personnel in the Employment Tribunal and Employment Appeal Tribunal.
- Advising and assisting a business founder on his exit from the business.
- Providing general employment advice and assistance to a client in relation to various matters including changes of terms and conditions, grievance and disciplinary matters.
- Advising and assisting a luxury goods manufacturer and seller on the employment aspects of its UK operations.
- Assisting a client with the implementation of changes to terms and conditions of employees and subsequent grievance procedures.
The employment team at Blanchards Bailey LLP acts for owner-managed and family-owned businesses located in Dorset and the surrounding counties, as well as in London. Its work includes contentious unfair dismissals, disability discrimination claims and advice to employers on employment strategy and dismissal procedures. Paul Dunlop is experienced in tribunal cases.
Other key lawyers:
Hall & Woodhouse Limited
Pitmans Removals and Storage Limited
S & N Group Properties Limited
Simon John Christopher Limited
- Advised a local accountant client on a review and restructure of staff contracts and handbooks.
- Advised a client on the due diligence associated with a share purchase to acquire a controlling stake in the company that he was employed by, as well as a subsequent contentious unfair dismissal and disability discrimination claim.
- Provided local charity with advice on dismissing a malicious employee, as well as regular HR consultancy services.
- Provided client with employment advice on TUPE obligations relating to an acquisition.
Christchurch-based Frettens LLP principally advises SMEs and employers. Its specialist knowledge of the care sector is a key facet of the practice. The team handles both contentious and advisory matters, with recent work including employee settlement agreements, tribunal cases and reorganisations. Associate Paul Burton, who heads up the team, has experience of unfair dismissal claims, whistleblowing matters, disability discrimination cases, TUPE advice and contract work.
Other key lawyers:
AL Younger Limited
- Provide day to day HR and employment advice and tribunal representation when required. Recent examples include defending several unfair dismissal and discrimination claims.
- Provide day to day HR and employment advice to the client, including tribunal representation.
- Advised the client on reorganisation of the business and the resulting exit of a number of senior employees.
Steele Raymond LLP's contentious work is a notable area of growth; the firm is increasingly active in discrimination cases, in particular. It also undertakes a a significant volume of whistleblowing matters. Elsewhere, the firm has a strong flow of non-contentious work, which includes assisting clients with service agreements and TUPE transfers. In addition, the team has expertise in long-term sick leave and income protection policies. Team head Amy Cousineau Massey works with Peter Rolph, who has experience of restructurings, share packages and post-termination restrictions.
Amy Cousineau Massey
Other key lawyers:
‘For me what makes Steele Raymond LLP unique is whoever I come into contact with at the practice, I find I am dealt with in a friendly, professional and approachable manner.
‘The team can be relied upon to deliver what they say they are going to and I have no doubt at all that our working relationship will strengthen even more over time‘
‘I especially appreciate their clear communication, how they manage my expectations re: budget and expected duration of work, and their expert knowledge which has often proved greater than lawyers I have used in the past‘
‘An excellent team with a very practical and commercial outlook‘
‘The employment team builds strong relationships with their clients through understanding of their needs and commercial requirements. They are pragmatic and empathetic in their approach, and honest with their advice‘
‘They responded very quickly and guided us through a potentially tricky and very time consuming situation with ease. They came up with a practical solution to sensitive issue which solved the situation completely‘
‘I would specifically recommend Amy Cousineau-Massey‘
‘Amy Cousineau-Massey has high emotional intelligence, and is shrewd in her advice‘
‘Amy is approachable, engaging and an expert in her field. She offers effective legal solutions to complex employment cases by taking a pragmatic approach and fully understanding the commercial reality of any given situation. Amy is also keen to support and build working relationships within professional networks for the mutual benefit of all concerned. In short, Amy is a pleasure to work with and a credit to her profession‘
‘We worked with Amy Cousineau Massey and Peter Rolph during a recent restructuring exercise. The situation was fast moving and Amy and Peter gave swift and clear answers to issues that we encountered during the process. It made a difficult easier to deal with knowing that we had excellent legal advice available very quickly‘
‘The calmness of both Peter Rolph and Amy Cousineau Massey is a breath of fresh air within the legal arena. They are both strategic yet pragmatic in their approach to their work and their clients. Quite simply, they are a pleasure to work with and they accomplish outstanding results‘
‘Amy Cousineau Massey is a very approachable and resourceful. She is very accessible and has provided some very helpful and cost effective solutions to some tricky situations‘
- Advised a female client on the senior leadership team of an international company in relation to her claim for equal pay.
- Providing advice to a client on the handling of a dispute between two employees who were both key to the business, including aspects of whistleblowing.
- Advising a company, which operates a factory, on its rights and obligations towards a disabled employee, including a significant analysis of reasonable adjustments.
- Advising an employer on claims of automatic unfair dismissal and unlawful deduction from wages claims relating to the operation of a bonus scheme.
- Advising an individual client on the purchase of a grade II listed hotel and the aspects of the TUPE transfer of all of the employees working there.
Wilsons provides the full range of services on contentious and non-contentious matters for employers and employees. Its clients are active across a broad cross-section of sectors, including commercial, charities, education and agriculture. Experienced litigator Anthony Edwards regularly represents clients at the Employment Tribunal, County and High Courts. Edwards jointly heads up the practice with Stephen Oxley. Associate Sophia Zand is a recent arrival from asb law LLP.
Anthony Edwards; Stephen Oxley
Other key lawyers:
‘Wilsons understood our needs more so than other firms, and we didn’t hesitate to go back to them when more legal issues arose‘
‘This team is well led by Stephen Oxley, who is a lawyer who understands commerce‘
‘Anthony Edwards has been outstanding during our current legal issues, and has been able to thoroughly explain and guide us through the process. He is always available to answer even the smallest of questions we may have‘
‘Stephen Oxley and associate Sophia Zand are quickly responsive and attentive. They are advising us in a tricky process and are navigating us skillfully through it‘
Williams Shipping Holdings Limited
Shareholders of Copyrite Business Solutions (Holdings) Limited
Greensleeves Homes Trust
- General employment advice to Williams Shipping Holdings Limited, including advice for the shipping division including in relation to TUPE when the client was awarded a major contract to transport wind turbines.
- Corporate support employment advice to Sutcliffe family on sale of Great Fosters Hotel, a Grade 1 listed Elizabethan hotel near the M25 at Egham which was awarded the AA Hotel of the Year award for 2018-19.
- Corporate support employment advice to shareholders of Copyrite Business Solutions (Holdings) Limited on the sale of the issued share capital of Business Solutions (Holdings) Limited, a leading document solutions provider, to trade buyer ITEC Connect Ltd.
- Corporate support to Greensleeves Homes Trust on the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Whitegates Investments Limited.