Commercial litigation: M4 Corridor and Gloucestershire in South West
BPE Solicitors LLP is a strong performer in complex general commercial disputes, professional negligence claims and property litigation. In addition, Riyaz Jariwalla excels in intellectual property disputes, where the scope of the work includes trade mark infringements, passing off, seizure of counterfeit goods and defamation claims. A significant portion of the work in this space has a cross-border dimension. Practice head Philip Radford is noted for his experience of shareholder and contractual disputes. Senior associate John Carter specialises in property litigation.
Mears Group Plc
Warners Retail Limited
Smart Systems Limited
Fairness in Fees Limited
Creed Foodservice Limited
- Represented Fairness in Fees Limited in a complaint lodged to the European Commission regarding the lawfulness of fees charged by lawyers in Cyprus within European Union legislation.
- Represented Smart Systems Limited in the defence of a High Court injunction and a multi-million pound counterclaim for breach of a deed of easement
- Acted for a client in pursuit of an injunctive claim to prevent the bank paying the defendant.
- Advised a client in a potential professional negligence claim against its former statutory auditor.
- Acted for a client in a claim against the defendant alleging copyright and design infringement, and successfully removing infringing products from the market.
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP's Manoj Vaghela specialises in handling complex insurance disputes, which often have a cross-border flavour. His experience includes Bermuda Form arbitration, cyber liability and D&O cases. The firm's insurance caseload is a mix of insurer, bank and manufacturer-led work, covering sectors such as financial services, construction, engineering, energy and natural resources and TMT. Outside of insurance disputes, the firm is noted for acting for clients in regulatory investigations, shareholder disputes and civil fraud cases. Claudine Morgan is experienced in contractual disputes, professional negligence cases and sale of goods disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘They offer a rapid response and action to all queries‘
‘They stand out for their excellent ability to work effectively as a team and communicate with both counsel and the client very clearly. This ensures a coherent approach and engenders a genuine feeling of collaboration between all involved‘
‘Claudine Morgan is commercially aware of any situation and provides commercially relevant advice‘
‘I would particularly recommend Claudine Morgan, who has an excellent manner with clients and always goes the extra mile‘
‘Ben Moore is also a very good lawyer and perceptive when formulating strategy‘
National Bank of Kuwait (International) Plc
Tsokkos Hotels Public Limited
Argo Real Estate Opportunities Fund Limited
Sports Supplements Ltd t/a Bulk Powders
Oxford Plastic Systems Limited
Trustees of the Harrowby’s Discretionary Will Trust
The Trustees of the Earl Bathurst 1963 Settlement
Cynergy Bank Limited (formerly Bank of Cyprus UK Limited)
Executors of James McNeile (Deceased)
Argo Group International Holdings Ltd
Specialist litigation firm Croft Solicitors has an excellent reputation in complex and high-value cases, the bulk of which are litigated at High Court level. Recent work included cross-border financial disputes, professional negligence claims, shareholder disputes and judicial reviews. Name partner Rupert Croft has a primary focus on civil fraud, financial services and property disputes. He frequently acts on cross-border matters, and has appeared in landmark court cases.
Other key lawyers:
Laura Nelson; Edward Hazzan
International Group Limted
UK in EU Challenge
Chapters Property Development and Investment Limited
Marmalade of London
New Light Hotels
- Acting for a number of UK co-defendants in a commercial conspiracy claim brought in respect of UK joint venture arrangements between the client and the Libyan Investment Authority
- Representing claimants in the Court of Appeal in a judicial review against the Prime Minister in relation to her failure to take account of the corrupt and illegal practices found to have occurred by the Electoral Commission during the EU Referendum.
- Representing the client in a civil fraud/economic tort claim for recovery of over €45m
Harrison Clark Rickerbys
Harrison Clark Rickerbys has core strengths in banking, real estate and IP litigation. Adam Finch (who is the head of commercial litigation) handles financial services, banking and insurance disputes. Fiona Hayles has more than 15 years of banking litigation experience, and acts for high street and private banks, as well as corporate and individual clients. Elsewhere, Andrew Walker is the main contact for real estate litigation, while Steven Murray specialises in intellectual property litigation.
Paragon Personal Finance Limited
Paragon Banking Group Plc
CT Capital Limited
Assured Futures Limited
Network Sales and Marketing Limited (a subsidiary of the Pertemps network)
Hype For Type Limited
Intex Management Services Limited (B.V.I)
Lanes Health (G R Lane Health Products Limited)
MAPS Solutions Europe Limited
- Acted for Network Sales and Marketing Limited in obtaining an injunction against a former employee and recovery of confidential information.
- Acted for former director of a UK business in pursuing a claim against investment firm alleging breach of contract, negligence, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of statutory duty.
- Defended Paragon Banking Group Plc in a £10+ claim brought by the FSCS to recover monies paid to consumers as compensation for PPI mis-selling.
- Acted on behalf of investors in a complex dispute involving breach of contract claims and defaulted loan agreements.
- Instructed by a Russian client to register and enforce a Cypriot Freezing Order in the UK, with an underlying £6m fraud claim.
Royds Withy King's team in Bath acts for a large number of national and international clients in contentious matters. Its expertise is evident in various sectors, including healthcare, financial services and construction. Philip Banks-Welsh is strong in financial services disputes, minority shareholder prejudice claims and contentious intellectual property matters. Senior associate Nicola Radcliffe has experience of both County and High Court litigation and is building her practice in the firm's regulatory and contentious healthcare offering.
Other key lawyers:
‘Quotes are provided in a timely manner and work standards are generally high‘
‘Philip Banks-Welsh has provided excellent support on a few cases over the past year and each instance has produced high-quality documentation‘
‘Philip successfully closed out a case for us in a very satisfactory manner due to the strength of the legal arguments and the clear way they were documented‘
Bath Rugby Plc
Stanley Gibson Limited
Medical Wire & Equipment Co. (Bath) Limited
Bath City Football Club
- Acting for a client in connection with claims against CareFusion for patent infringement and breach of a non-disclosure agreement.
- Advising a client on FCA/SRA regulatory issues involving potential breaches.
- Representing a client in disputes arising from contractual agreements for the purchase and hire of commercial vehicles.
- Acted for a Bath-based business in defence of an case brought by a former employee alleging unfair dismissal and loss of earnings.
- Representing a majority shareholder in a construction company in a minority prejudice dispute.
Stone King LLP
Stone King LLP excels in assisting corporate and individual clients with alternative dispute resolution, which complements its strong credentials in litigation. Its varied workload includes cases involving breaches of fiduciary duties and directors' duties, breaches of confidence, defamation, misrepresentation and commercial contract disputes. Contentious insolvency matters and claims brought under the Companies Act are among the growth areas of the practice. The firm also has a first-rate reputation in property litigation. Tony Pidgeon heads up the practice.
Swindon-based Thrings LLP is highly regarded in financial services litigation, professional negligence claims, corporate disputes and contentious product liability. In the financial services space, the team predominantly acts for financial institutions and insurance companies; its work includes claims relating to mis-selling, FOS/FCA redress and defending policy-holder appeals from decisions of the Pensions Ombudsman. Elsewhere, the group handles various corporate disputes for start-ups, SMEs and multinational corporations, with particular expertise in core sectors of aerospace, manufacturing and IT. David Patterson, who leads the team, is experienced in disputes connected with the advanced engineering, aerospace and defence industries.
Other key lawyers:
Truespeed Communications Limited
Stanley Security Solutions Limited
Honda Finance Europe Plc
Positive Solutions (Financial Services) Limited
Yuasa Battery Europe Limited
MAN Truck & Bus UK Limited
MAN Truck & Bus AG
Wasdell Packaging Limited
Intrinsic Financial Services
World Fuel Services Limited
Gerald Eve LLP
- Acting for the founding director and shareholder of a climbing centre in an unfair prejudice action.
- Acting for a former director and shareholder of a construction business in a share rectification and shareholder dispute.
- Defending claims for breach of supervision rules and alleged mis-selling of financial services products.
- Defending a client in a contract claim over an allegedly defective product.
Willans LLP acts for commercial clients from across England and Wales ranging from sole traders and SMEs to established companies. This client base also encompasses individual directors, shareholders and charities. The main sources of mandates include partnership disputes, construction disputes, contract litigation and professional negligence. Paul Gordon handles commercial and civil cases, and is highly praised by clients for his substantial knowledge and expertise. Associate Nick Southwell is a first port of call in complex multi-party disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘They offer value for money and are very professional and extremely competent‘
‘A very commercial team with competitive pricing and a wide range of interesting work‘
‘Paul Gordon has excellent attention to detail‘
‘Paul has a high level of knowledge and expertise and cuts through to the key issues very well‘
‘Paul provides excellent instructions, keeps ahead of deadlines and ensured that clients are appraised of the situation throughout proceedings‘
‘Nick Southwell provides strong support to clients‘
Joedan Home Improvements
Ferryfast Produce Limited
Crown Crest (Leicester) Plc
Branded Sports Management(Part of the PUMA Group)
Lilian Faithful Homes
Sanderson Recruitment Limited
Severnside Software Limited
- Acting for Turbo K International Limited and Midland Chemicals Limited (as the defendants) in High Court proceedings over contractual and intellectual property disputes, including passing off, invalidation of trademarks and breach of license agreements.
- Acting for Severnside Software Limited as the claimant in a claim over an anticipatory breach of a professional services agreement relating to the provision of design and software services
- Representing JSP Limited as claimant in a claim for alleged infringement of community and unregistered design rights.
- Representing Graham Honeybill in a claim for alleged breach of contract against a supplier of classic performance racing cars
- Representing Sanderson Recruitment Limited in a breach of contract claim against the defendants relating to a consultancy services agreement.
Mogers Drewett LLP has a wide-ranging service offering, which encompasses commercial property disputes, construction disputes, insurance disputes and professional negligence disputes. A key area of growth for the department has been the firm's new enfranchisement service, particularly in the context of assisting both buyers and sellers with leasehold issues and rights of first refusal. Claims are often brought to the senior courts, in addition to specialist venues such as the Technology and Construction Court, Administrative Court and the Mercantile/Commercial Courts. Maeve England, who specialises in construction and commercial property disputes, heads up the practice.
Simon Burn Solicitors
Simon Burn Solicitors demonstrates strong capabilities undertaking insolvency-related litigation, commercial litigation, publication-related litigation and directors' disqualification work. The latter is arguably the firm's most active practice, and handles both civil and criminal aspects of these cases. Name partner Simon Burn leads the team. Deanne Hamilton recently departed for Harrison Clark Rickerbys.
Other key lawyers:
- Represented a client in a successful application to set up a new company, despite being a disqualified director.
- Acted for a client in an appeal of a disqualification order, which resulted in a successful reversal of the initial decision.
- Advised a client on possible disqualification after the company entered insolvency.
- Represented a client in a discrimination case brought by a former employee.
- Advised a client on a response to a claim brought by the liquidator of his former company for alleged misfeasance and transaction at an undervalue.