Employment: Hampshire in South East
Blake Morgan LLP has built up a sizeable client following among national and international clients, particularly from those in the retail and leisure, education and charities sectors. It has had a notable influx of data protection mandates recently, with practitioners advising clients on the impact of the GDPR and Data Protection Act in their capacity as employers. Corporate support work is another driver of activity. In addition, the firm distinguishes itself in discrimination cases brought in the SEND Tribunal; associate Vicky Schollar is the name to note in this space. Team head Lisa Wallis, and associates Holly Cudbill and Natalie Painter, regularly provide bespoke employment and regulatory training courses for employers and HR professionals.
Sarah Peacock; Tim Forer
‘The employment team are very knowledgeable; they give you the answers you need promptly‘.
‘Both partners and associates are highly competent‘.
‘Sarah Peacock and Lisa Wallis are friendly and knowledgeably but also pragmatic; they are both risk-sensitive and balance the client’s needs against potential costs‘.
Apollo Fire Detectors
Park Lane Assets
Portsmouth Diocesan Trust
Portsmouth Grammar School
University of Portsmouth
Utilita Limited and Utilita Energy
- Advised the trustees of a historical charity on dealing with the exit of its Chief Executive.
- Asssisted JE Beales with the employment aspects of its acquisition of two Palmers stores in East Anglia.
- Assisted veterinary consolidator CVS with the employment aspects of two acquisitions the firm’s corporate team handled for the client in 2018.
- Assisted Harwood Wealth Management Group by drafting complex and lengthy Consultancy Agreements between the client and senior individuals and via service companies with a particular focus on employment status.
- Acted for The Gregg School in defending first tier tribunal proceedings involving allegations of disability discrimination made against the school for permanently excluding a pupil and for previous fixed-term exclusions.
DC Employment Solicitors
Employment boutique DC Employment Solicitors fields a highly regarded three-partner team, which undertakes both contentious and non-contentious work. Its expertise includes employment tribunal litigation, large-scale corporate reorganisations, collective redundancies and senior executive exits. The firm is particularly highly reputed for working with clients in the charity, transport and shipping, construction and professional services sectors. 'Stand-out specialist' Darren Tibble is a key contact.
Darren Tibble; Laurence Dunn; Daryl Cowan
‘DC Employment are a strong specialist employment firm in the region‘.
‘I am extremely pleased with my experience of DC Employment Solicitors; the team made the muddy waters of employment law crystal clear‘.
‘The DC Employment team is an outstanding employment practice which combines simple, no-nonsense advisory with a risk-based approach‘.
‘Team members are approachable and provide sensible advice throughout‘.
‘I cannot Darren Tibble highly enough; we have had a number of contentious issues recently and Darren remained calm throughout, utilising his knowledge to our advantage‘.
‘Darren Tibble and Daryl Cowan truly understand out business‘.
Cornerstone Health Care
Winchester City Council
UYH Hacker Young LLP
Rothman Pantall LLP
Apeldoorn Flexible Packaging
The YOU Trust
- DC Employment Solicitors successfully represented a large national employer client in its defence against a claim of unfair dismissal, indirect sex discrimination and detrimental treatment on the ground of part-time status in the Employment Tribunal.
- DC Employment Solicitors is representing a large national employer client in the Employment Tribunal in its defence of multiple and complex allegations of sex, race, age and disability discrimination, and automatic unfair dismissal related to whistleblowing and health and safety complaints.
- DC Employment Solicitors is currently acting for a local branch of a large, national charity client in defending claims of unfair dismissal, disability discrimination, personal injury and wrongful dismissal lodged by a former senior employee, which has included a successful defence to a challenge brought by the Claimant in the Employment Appeal Tribunal.
- DC Employment Solicitors represented a commercial client in defending Employment Tribunal claims by a former employee of unfair dismissal, wrongful dismissal and for share options. After a five-day hearing in the Employment Tribunal, their client was successful in its defence on all counts.
- DC Employment Solicitors has advised a large regional charity on a multitude of issues, including various TUPE service provision change related matters and complex issues regarding the transferring or non-transferring of senior employees and national minimum wage compliance.
In addition to undertaking employment tribunal litigation, Paris Smith LLP's team often acts for clients in restrictive covenant actions and director exits. Education is a key sector for the group, which acts for the majority of sixth form colleges and private schools in Hampshire. Transfer of Undertakings (TUPE) claims specialist Clive Dobbin is the practice head. David Roath is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
David Roath; Claire Merritt
‘All members of staff that we have dealt with, at all levels, are technically competent and able to provide a top-class answer to our employment questions straight away‘.
‘Clive Dobbin, David Roath and Claire Merritt are extremely approachable and offer a practical solutions to our issues‘.
‘A great service focused on listening to the challenges clients express and working to effect the best outcomes‘.
‘Clive Dobbin is a great support to our senior management team; he provides practical and considered feedback and proposes solutions to complex issues‘.
‘Clive Dobbin’s ability to give a client complex information whilst checking understanding and involving them in the process is outstanding; he provides a truly bespoke service.’
Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Focal Point Fires
Barfoots of Botley
- Advised a college on a tribunal claim brought for unfair dismissal and race discrimination.
- Advised Barfoots Cropping on a tribunal claim alleging disability discrimination and whistle-blowing.
- Acted for a maintenance company in obtaining an injunction against a former employee and their new employer.
- Assisted a maritime logistics company with reviewing both its short-term and persistent long-term absence policies.
- Assisted a procurement director for an international manufacturing company with their exit from the company.
Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP has a strong reputation of acting on the employer side; clients include regional businesses, as well as industry associations and the UK subsidiaries of European, US and Indian companies. The firm recently assisted clients with a number of sensitive matters, including whistleblowing cases, international employment contracts and senior executive departures. The employment team is led by David Bickford, who has experience of defending complex employment tribunal claims, outsourcing (including all TUPE issues), and advising on employment policies and procedures. Gemma Woodhouse is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Chris Syder; Gemma Woodhouse; Katie Glendinning
‘The team had an excellent understanding of our business and the complexity of the issues we faced.’
‘We were given the full range of options with all routes and risks made completely clear‘.
‘Gemma Woodhouse and Katie Glendinning were incredibly receptive to our ideas but also made us aware of alternative options‘.
Local Pensions Partnership
Twentieth Century Fox International
The Licensed Trade Charity
Industrial Cleaning Equipment
Shrewsbury House School Trust
Not Just Cleaning
Marine Stewardship Council
Link Asset Services
Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
ES Holdings 2011
- Assisted Local Pensions Partnership with whistleblowing claims brought against in by an aggressive claimant which involved a subject access request under the GDPR.
- Assisted Corel with managing the process to effect the removal of a long-serving senior HR professional from the business, subject to a settlement agreement.
- Asssisted Denave India with regard to its senior management restructure in the UK.
- Support Simpson Thacher & Bartlett Limited’s London HR team by providing legal training and advising on absence management, redundancies and poor performance management.
- Assisted Industrial Cleaning Equipment with sensitive post-acquisition senior-level staff changes.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP's employment department has key specialisms in the retail, education and financial services sectors. Its strength in business-critical matters was recently evidenced by it representing clients in multiple sensitive tribunal claims, and also the provision of assistance with the employment aspects of large-scale corporate transactions. Practice head Christina Tolvas-Vincent has extensive expertise in the full range of employment issues. Daniel Fawcett is the name to note for high-value employment tribunal litigation. Jon Hales provides 'excellent advice'.
Christina Tolvas-Vincent; Jon Hales
‘The team is pragmatic‘.
‘Christina Tolvas-Vincent is experienced and provides clear advice‘.
‘The Womble Bond Dickinson team have a strong understanding of our sector and have developed an excellent understanding of our business over the last fifteen years‘.
‘Jon Hales gives a commercial take on issues as well as strictly legal counsel. This is of particular value with regards to specific issues, such as restrictive covenants, that often arise in our sector‘.
Post Office Ltd
H Samuel and Ernest Jones
Associated British Ports
Arts University Bournemouth
NICE Systems UK
Southampton City College
National Farmers Union
- Assisting Colgate’s in-house legal and HR teams on a variety of people projects.
- Advised Quilter on the employment aspects of a number of acquisitions in which it was involved.
- Advising a number of Transdev’s subsidiaries on the employment law implications of proposed internal re-organisations.
- Assisting Arts University Bournemouth’s HR department with a variety of employee relations, policy and legal compliance issues, including updating contractual arrangements for the engagement of external consultants.
- Assisting NICE System Technologies with a number of claims from a serial litigant who was absent but in receipt of PHI benefits for over 14 years.
With a key specialisation in contentious employment work, BDB Pitmans' team has significant experience of representing both claimants and respondents. Team head Jonathan Gray has a strong track record in employment tribunal advocacy. On the non-contentious side, the group provides day-to-day HR and employment support on corporate transactions. Working closely with the firm's pensions department, the group is also able to advise on employee benefits.
Other key lawyers:
‘A fantastic commercially-minded approach to any work we have given them. I would highly recommend‘.
‘Jonathan Gray is always accessible and provides first class advice and support for our business‘.
The Highwood Group
The Concorde Club and Hotel
The Wilton Carpet Factory
The Appointment Group
Delicious Dining Group
- Acting in defence of Marblesea in a claim for pregnancy, sex and disability discrimination and dismissal.
- Acted for David Jeffery in his successful Court of Appeal hearing against The British Council.
- Represented London Irish in a dismissal claim in which the act of dismissal was in dispute.
- Assisted The Appointment Group with all employment aspects of the buyout by Apiary Capital .
- Assisting Community with protecting the employment and pension rights of the British Steel workers, in particular their early retirement benefits.
Clarke Willmott LLP has an HR consultancy offering, which draws on the expertise of both lawyers and senior HR consultants. Elsewhere, its employment team has a specialist focus on tribunal work, and it also has a strong track record of advising on restructurings and obligations under TUPE. Partner and barrister Mark Long, who heads up the practice, has TUPE experience in relation to both public and private sector transfers. Other work arises from outsourcings, insolvency proceedings and corporate transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Nicole Adams; Emily Like
‘An excellent team with a wealth of technical knowledge; always gives the right advice for the best commercial outcome‘.
‘Marc Long is extraordinarily talented and boasts a great breadth of legal knowledge‘.
‘Associate Nicole Adams delivers outstanding advice with confidence and professionalism’.
‘The lawyers at Clarke Willmott are excellent; they provide advice which is straightforward and pragmatic and place a strong emphasis on making the client feel valued with the majority of advisory work getting partner input‘.
‘Marc Long and Nicole Adams are dependable and meticulous in their approach. Marc is extremely knowledgeable and Nicole is clearly dedicated and committed to the client‘.
PEI Genesis UK
Marsh & Parsons
One Family Foundation
Chelsea and Westminster Swimming Club
- Assisted a large social housing client with undertaking an employment due diligence exercise in respect of another housing trust with which the client was considering a merger.
- Advised a leading estate agent on the offer of a settlement agreement to a senior employee on maternity leave who was considering issuing a grievance regarding a prospective restructure and the impact this would have on her role.
- Represented a leading swimming club in relation to claims of unfair dismissal, victimisation, harassment, whistleblowing, equal pay and unpaid holiday pay brought by an employee, including the negotiation of a settlement agreement.
- Advised a multinational cup manufacturer on an unfair dismissal claim issued by a former employee, who was dismissed for being under the influence of cocaine whilst at work.
- Advised a major telecommunications provider on an issue with an employee who had been defrauding the company by claiming commission that was not due.
Leon Deakin leads the employment practice at Coffin Mew LLP, which has notable experience of acting for large retailers. The group also generates work from companies in the technology sector and not-for-profit clients, as well as fast-growth businesses. In addition to acting for clients on a standalone basis, it regularly works with the firm's corporate department to assist with the employment aspects of high-value transactions. Employment tribunal advocacy and senior-level exits are other areas of activity.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team listens well, offers pragmatic solutions and use layman’s terms to advise on risks‘.
‘Leon Deakin is an outstanding employment law specialist; he spends time getting to know the business in order to give sensible and sound advice‘.
‘Where competitors may say no, Leon will ask what the favoured outcome would be and works with you to reach this‘.
‘The team has a good, broad knowledge of all aspects of our requirements‘.
‘Leon Deakin is straightforward and easy to deal with. He has a no nonsense approach‘.
David Cover & Sons
World of Books
Pets Corner UK
Raystede Centre for Animal Welfare
Laleham Health & Beauty
Newhaven Port and Properties
Testing Solutions Group
Climax Studios and Freejam
Saab Technologies UK
- Instructed by Fat Face to provide day-to-day advice on a wide range of employment and HR issues.
- Instructed by Climax Studios and Freejam to provide day-to-day HR and employment advice; assisted with the review of contractual documentation.
- Regularly provide employment and HR advice to Saab Technologies. Also assist with strategic matters when needed; assisted with GDPR implementation.
- Represented a client in defending a claim brought by 129 employees.
- Assisted with a client with handling the departure of its long-serving CEO, which involved negotiating an exit package worth £1.6m.
Shoosmiths LLP's client roster comprises of a mix of national household names and local employers, including those in the retail, restaurant, hotel, care, pension and technology industries. Healthcare and financial services are also areas of strength. The team covers the gamut of employment law matters for clients, and has the ability to advise on the niche areas of business immigration and data protection. Stuart Lawrenson is the practice head.
Other key lawyers:
Gemma Robinson; Sian Hoare
‘The team was easy to speak to and provided immediate answers to our questions‘.
‘Shoosmiths understands our business and provide us with both legal and practical solutions’
‘The team is are realistic in its outlook and always gives a balanced view‘.
‘Both Gemma Robinson and Stuart Lawrenson are extremely knowledgeable, flexible and timely with their responses‘.
‘The team were highly professional but considerate throughout‘.
‘Stuart Lawrenson was generous and thorough with his initial advice, explaining the position in a clear and precise manner.’
‘Stuart Lawrenson explains complex legal issues in lawyman’s terms‘.
‘Stuart Lawrenson advises on the most sensible course of action‘.
Krispy Kreme UK
Gourmet Burger Kitchen
Big Yellow Storage Company
DAS UK Group
- Supported Phase Eight with GDPR issues and assisted them with a major restructuring.
- Advised Gourmet Burger Kitchen on the employment aspects of its recent CVA and the complex employment issues arising from the decision to close stores and relocate employees.
- Advised Travelodge Hotels on a range of specialist topics including data protection, TUPE and employee relations issues.
- Instructed by Mr Wilson in relation to a claim against Gloucester City Council for unfair dismissal.
- Supporting Benefex Holdings with regard to various settlement agreements and complex employee-related issues.
All lawyers in Trethowans LLP's employment and immigration department are tribunal advocates with over ten years of employment law experience. Household name companies, owner-managed businesses and Hampshire-based businesses all feature on the firm's client list. The head of the team is Simon Rhodes, who has particular expertise in TUPE, organisational restructurings, restrictive covenants and discrimination.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is approachable, responsive and provides excellent advice‘.
‘Skillfully works through the red tape without delays‘.
‘A highly practical group‘.
‘Simon Rhodes is second to none; he is calm, considered and straightforward in his advice‘.
‘Simon Rhodes is very personable and always instills his clients with confidence‘.
‘Simon Rhodes is a lawyer you can rely on‘.
‘Simon Rhodes is a first-class employment expert‘.
- Acting for a healthcare services provider in a complex TUPE sub-contracting arrangement involving public and private sector parties which has become contentious
- Defended a public limited company operating in services in an Employment Tribunal arising from a high-value whistleblowing claim which involved multiple potential protected disclosures and alleged detriments.
- Advised on, drafted and negotiated the employment and TUPE warranties, indemnities and operating clauses within outsourcing and insourcing agreements for two separate food and beverage companies.
- Advising a driving services business on claims from over 200 drivers that they are workers under the Employment Rights Act 1996.
- Advising and representing a national manufacturing and retail group in several Employment Tribunal claims; legal issues include constructive unfair dismissal, TUPE regulation claims and whistleblowing.
Moore Blatch LLP is known for assisting clients operating in the technology, advertising, media, financial services and hospitality sectors. Its practice covers the employment aspects of corporate transactions, unfair dismissal claims, reorganisations and restructurings, and senior executive terminations. Katherine Maxwell, who leads the group, advises employers and senior executives.
Other key lawyers:
Naomi Greenwood; Emma Edis
No 1 Lounges
Chichester Trees and Shrubs
SKS Business Services
Stable Family Home Trust
ICS Group Holdings
- Advised No 1 Lounges with the employee aspects of a business transfer agreement related to the acquisition of five airport lounges owned by Etihad; assisted with all employee due diligence and employee terms in the agreement.
- Assisted Peach Technologies with all the employment aspects of its initial reorganisation, refinancing and subsequent acquisition of Taylor Made Computer Solutions
- Supported Stable Family Home Trust in relation to two employment tribunal matters; the first relating to disability discrimination and the second relating to automatic unfair dismissal following an alleged protected disclosure.
- Assisted ICS Group Holdings with the employee due diligence process in the context of the sale of the company to Ingersoll Rand.