Transport in Russia
Allen & Overy Legal Services
The practice at Allen & Overy Legal Services is headed by Ilya Dvorkin, who is recognised as an expert in the field of asset finance and regularly advises leading Russian and international lessors such as KrasAir, KD Avia and Aeroflot Cargo. Dvorkin's practice focuses on a wide range of aircraft financing matters, including pre-delivery payment financings, export credit agency (ECA) financings, aircraft sale and purchase transactions, portfolio sales and leasing, as well as related Russian restructuring and regulatory issues.
GE Capital Aviation Services
- Advising GTLK Europe in connection with a $340m limited recourse loan arranged by PK AirFinance and secured by five Airbus A321-200 aircraft leased to Aeroflot and six Boeing 737-800 aircraft leased to Globus Airlines, among others.
- Advising GTLK Europe in connection with the $200m refinancing of five aircraft structured as a sale and leaseback transaction with a major Chinese lessor.
- Advising AerCap on various Russian law issues related to its aircraft leasing arrangements with different Russian airlines, including Red Wings Airlines, Azur Air, Globus Airlines and Ikar Airlines.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner (Russia) LLP's multi-disciplinary team combines 'deep industry expertise' with a 'flexible and creative approach' to asset finance work, corporate and commercial transactions, and regulatory matters in the aviation, shipping and public transportation sectors. Notable mandates include advising on the reconstruction of Sheremetyevo International Airport and assisting New Concession Company with the development of a toll bypass of Kutuzovsky Prospekt in the centre of Moscow. Key figures include head of real estate and construction Vitaly Mozharowski; banking and asset finance specialists Oleg Khokhlov and Tatiana Parshak; and corporate partner Matvey Kaploukhiy.
‘Outstanding practice, very supportive, building perfect relationships, high quality of legal work, extremely flexible and creative approach, deep industry expertise, best value for money’
‘Tatiana Parshak and Oleg Khokhlov are really reliable, with spectacular knowledge. They are deeply engaged and perfect in communication. We have tried to engage them on all our transactions to receive the best possible results.’
Sheremetyevo International Airport / Moscow
Nord Stream AG
Nord Stream 2 AG
South/TurkStream Offshore Pipeline
Far East and Arctic Region Development Fund
Russian Direct Investment Fund
- Advised the Far East Development Fund on the financing of the construction of a new passenger terminal and airport infrastructure for the city of Khabarovsk by the Far East and Baikal Region Development Fund.
- Advising New Concession Company on the development of a toll bypass of Kutuzovsky Prospekt in the centre of Moscow.
- Advising Sheremetyevo International Airport on a wide range of matters in connection with the $1bn reconstruction of the airport.
Clifford Chance has expertise across the full breadth of aviation matters, including financing, leasing, portfolio sales, security, sale and purchase transactions, insolvency issues, regulatory matters, litigation, tax and customs matters, and repossessions. The cross-disciplinary team led by Victoria Bortkevicha has also been active in transactions involving private jets and yachts. Bortkevicha, who specialises in asset finance as well as trade and project finance, is frequently accompanied by associate Vadim Turtsev, who is experienced in transactions, financing and regulatory matters in the aviation and shipping sectors.
‘Vadim Turtsev was always available to discuss any issue arising in the process. He is very client oriented and professional.’
CDB Aviation Lease Finance
China Aircraft Leasing Group
Holdings Limited (CALC)
GE Capital Aviation Services
GTLK Europe DAC
DVB Bank SE
Goshawk Aviation Limited
SMBC Aviation Capital Limited
Standard Chartered Bank
- Advised SMBC Aviation Capital on the lease of 15 brand-new Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft to Pobeda Airlines, a wholly owned subsidiary of Aeroflot.
- Advising Sberbank of Russia in respect of the major debt restructuring of Utair, one of Russia’s major airlines and one of the world’s largest helicopter service providers.
- Advised Mitsui OSK Lines on Russian maritime regulatory matters including cabotage, the process for obtaining a Russian flag for a vessel, arrest of a vessel and the structuring of a possible financial transaction.
The 'talented and market savvy' Anna Otkina 'manages a knowledgeable team of specialists' at DLA Piper. Core areas of expertise include the financing and leasing of aircraft and ships, corporate and commercial matters, customs, aviation and shipping regulations, and commercial dispute resolution. Philip Lamzin advises international and Russian leasing companies, banks, airlines, and helicopter and shipping companies on a range of finance and leasing transactions, as well as airlines and lessors on commercial contracts with manufacturers, suppliers and service providers.
‘Unique expertise and absolutely fabulous team – very diligent and client oriented’
‘Anna Otkina not only has a deep knowledge of the relevant markets and regulations, but she is a strong personality and an exceptionally efficient person who is reliable in every way. She is a talented and market-savvy leader who manages a knowledgeable team of specialists’
Virgo Investment Group
Apollo Aviation Group
Alterna Aviation Capital
Ilyushin Finance Co
Seraph Aviation Management Limited
- Advising AviaAM Financial Leasing China on the sale and leaseback of over 20 new Airbus A321 and Boeing 777 aircraft to Aeroflot and on external financing from China Development Bank and Exim Bank of China.
- Advising Sberbank and its subsidiary, Sberbank Leasing, on the acquisition of ten new Boeing 737-800 aircraft and the leasing of these aircraft to Pobeda Airlines.
- Assisting ACG Aircraft Leasing Ireland, a major international leasing company, in relation to new aircraft leases to Aeroflot, S7 Airlines, Red Wings Airlines, Yamal Airlines and NordStar.
In the shipping sector, Dentons advises ship owners and charterers, shipyards and cruise lines, as well as financial institutions in Russia, the CIS region and Europe, on a wide range of banking, corporate and M&A transactions, international trade and maritime law issues. Andrei Strijak focuses on aircraft financing and operating leases. Corporate partner Alexander Skoblo and managing partner Alexei Zakharko are also prominent practitioners.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Norton Rose Fulbright's full-service transportation practice advises a mix of Russian and international clients in the aviation, shipping and automotive sectors, such as the S7 Group, on transport-related corporate transactions, finance and regulatory matters. Alexander Tsakoev specialises in banking and asset finance, with noted expertise in aircraft finance, leasing transactions and ECA-secured financing. Konstantin Konstantinov is the other key partner for corporate and financial transactions.
Siberia Airlines, PJSC
Tawazun Holding LLC
- Advising S7 Airlines (Siberia Airlines) on the Russian law aspects of the leasing of ten Airbus A320-200neo aircraft.
- Advising AirBridgeCargo Airlines in connection with the financing of pre-delivery payments and the leasing from DAE of three Boeing B777 aircraft.
- Advised Russian cargo airline Atran, a subsidiary of Volga-Dnepr Group, on the leasing of a used Boeing 737-800BCF aircraft.
White & Case LLC has an 'excellent reputation' for finance and M&A transactions in the transport sector, leveraging the cross-border transactional and industry expertise of its Europe, Asia and US transport departments, which are able to advise on Russian, English and US law. Natalia Nikitina advises on a wide range of finance transactions, including traditional commercial lending and structured and acquisition finance, as well as asset-based financings and project and pre-export finance.
‘White and Case’s transportation team was able to handle a unique and challenging situation involving multilateral legislation within international aircraft leasing deals.’
‘Commercial, quick responses, excellent reputation.’
- Advised Rossiya Airlines in connection with lease agreements and other arrangements with lease companies.
- Representing UEC NPO Saturn, a leading Russian aircraft engine manufacturer, in the Russian and French courts in litigation with Unimpex Enterprises, which is seeking recovery from the client of a contractual penalty in the amount of $65m.
Baker Botts L.L.P.
Elena Stepanenko leads the practice at Baker Botts L.L.P. and has expertise in asset finance transactions and debt restructurings, as well as structured finance products related to the aviation sector. She is regularly instructed by key client Aeroflot on various financings, restructurings and corporate mandates.
Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners provides 'top-notch expertise' in financial, dispute resolution, corporate and project finance matters in the shipping, aviation and rail sectors, including in issues involving seaports and airports. St Petersburg-based senior associate Alexey Karchiomov heads the maritime and transportation practice, advising on a range of issues including ship construction, acquisition and sales, marine insurance, chartering and ship arrests. He is also experienced in international trade and customs regulations.
‘They know everything about transportation, in particular seaport transport infrastructure matters. They are very strong in complicated assignments related to access to railways, the development of railway infrastructure, loading and unloading port operations, the privatisation of seaport berths and railways, trans-shipment of goods, and pricing.’
‘The team stand out beyond their competitors thanks to their very reputable litigation practice, which handles the full scope of transport law matters including corporate, land, antitrust and other regulatory issues. Clients benefit from their diversified team, top-notch expertise, unique experience and business-oriented approach.’
‘The team is well versed in the aviation industry, focusing on restructuring and insolvency and the cross-border bankruptcy of airlines. The team brilliantly handles complicated transport industry matters with a foreign element and achieves great results in court’
Founders and ex-owners of Transaero
Yang Ming Marine Transport Corporation
- Successfully defended a European logistics company in a dispute over a wrongful ship arrest, leading to the recovery of all costs.
- Advised a leading ship management service provider on issues related to obtaining the Russian flag for several foreign supply vessels with a view to their presence in Russian waters for a limited period in a year.
- Acting for the founders of Transaero, formerly Russia’s second largest airline, in bankruptcy proceedings, including representing the interests of the clients in a case of subsidiary liability with a value of approximately $3.5bn.
GRATA International, which acquired boutique practice Law Firm “Stepanov and Aksuk”, primarily focuses on the shipping sector, where it advises on wet and dry matters ranging from purchase and sale transactions to the registration of vessels, ship arrests and shipping-related litigation and arbitration. Dispute resolution partner Inna Makarova specialises in maritime law, customs and international trade.
GAC Shipping and Logistics LLC
Grain Logistic Service LLC
- Acted for WB Navigation to successfully settle a dispute over a ship arrest.
Alexander Gasparyan leads the team at Hogan Lovells (CIS) and specialises in the Russian and English law aspects of asset finance, banking, trade, commodities and export financing. He is notably active in relation to aircraft financings and leasing transactions in Russia and across the CIS region, advising foreign lessors, financiers and CIS-based airlines.
JSC Aircompany Scat
Business Jets AG
Air Lease Corporation
- Advised Scat Airlines, the second largest Kazakh airline, on its purchase of six new Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft.
- Advising Nedbank, one of the largest banks in South Africa, and Veling, a major aircraft lessor based in Mauritius, on a complex multi-jurisdictional refinancing of three Boeing 777-200ER aircraft leased to IrAero, a local airline.
- Assisted Jet Aviation Business Jets with aviation customs regulatory matters and clearance procedures in respect of the use of the client’s business jets in Russia for international and domestic flights.
With a strong specialisation in the PPP, projects and infrastructure sector, LP Law Firm fields a team of lawyers experienced in corporate and commercial transactions, banking, tax, projects and dispute resolution. Andrey Novakovskiy is the lead partner, focusing on transactions and infrastructure projects with a significant transportation angle.
Vnukovo International Airport
Avtodor Invest LLC
- Advised Vnukovo International Airport on the structuring of the concession agreement for the financing of an investment programme for the maintenance and development of airfield infrastructure.
- Advised Avtodor Invest on the preparation for the construction of the western part of the Krasnodar bypass section of the M-4 Don toll road.
Sokolov, Maslov and Partners' offering concentrates on the shipping sector, where Mikhail Sokolov specialises in the financing, building and acquisition of vessels and contractual matters. In wet shipping, the practice is experienced in ship arrests, maritime accidents and salvage, as well as frequently representing clients in related litigation and arbitration.
Brookes & Co
Wikborg & Rein Advokatfirma AS
International Oil Pollution Compensation Funds
- Represented a foreign scrap metal firm in a contractual dispute in the Russian courts.
- Advising Farostransflot in several matters in connection with the chartering of vessels and carriage of goods.
- Assisted Dubai Aviation Corporation (flydubai) with drafting a contractual structure for the sale of tickets in Russia and procedural documents regarding the settlement of passengers’ claims.
VEGAS LEX has an established reputation for handling PPP, concessions and project finance for seaports, railways, roads and aviation. Practice head Denis Shtirbu is a respected expert in the PPP infrastructure projects field; he is frequently assisted by senior associates Irina Dolgikh and Varvara Suchkova.
‘The firm has established itself as a reliable legal partner and provider of effective solutions and in-depth expertise.’
‘Denis Shtirbu, Irina Dolgikh and Varvara Suchkova provide competent, professional and practical solutions to non-standard tasks. Moreover, they have a high level of ethics in business communication.’
State Transport Leasing Company (GTLK)
Lavna Commercial Seaport LLC
Northern Latitudinal Railway
- Advising Russian Railways on a PPP project for the construction of the Eurasia high-speed rail shared passenger and freight corridor.
- Continuing to advise on the $462m Lavna seaport project, the first federal port concession in Russia.
- Advising Russian Railways on the engineering, procurement and construction contract for the Elegest-Kyzyl-Kuragino railway line PPP project, the first federal railway concession in Russia.