Tax in Russia
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited handles a wide array of contentious and non-contentious tax issues, and clients single out recently promoted principal Arseny Seidov, who specialises in tax planning work and the restructuring of complex cross-border transactions. Kirill Vikulov is the name to note in the cross-border tax planning space; the team also has strong capabilities in indirect tax matters. Marina Tokunova is a noteworthy practitioner.
‘I see Baker & McKenzie’s tax team as a team of strong professionals which cares about the quality of services it is providing.‘
‘Marina Tokunova is an excellent specialist in issues at the intersection of corporate and tax law, and has great skills in building strong relationships with clients.‘
‘We appreciate the work which Arseny Seidov has done for us. Arseny is polite and smart, reacts to our requests very quickly, and is always available if we have something urgent going on.‘
- Advising a leading French multinational luxury conglomerate on the Russian tax aspects of a cross-border acquisition.
- Advising a large international supplier of industrial, medical and specialty gases on tax, corporate and other matters concerning its reorganisation in Russia.
- Advising a leading international manufacturer of IT and telecoms equipment on the Russian aspects of its global post-acquisition integration.
Dentons’ tax and customs department provides the full scope of tax advice and includes specialists in finance, economics and accounting alongside its legal practitioners. While the team is traditionally focused on a wide range of sectors, it has been increasingly active in providing private wealth advice to high-net-worth individuals. Dzhangar Dzhalchinov heads up the department and has a strong track record in tax litigation. In 2019, counsel Anna Zvereva returned to the firm from Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner (Russia) LLP. Lidia Charikova was a new arrival from LP Law Firm in 2020.
‘A brilliant level of service, fast response time, and great seminars for clients.‘
‘The team organises very interesting events, where the team members share their deep knowledge and trends with other professionals. Indeed, the team is open for communication.‘
‘The team stands out for the unique combination of a practical approach coupled with knowledge of the law and relevant court practice.‘
‘Our key contact at Dentons is Dzhangar Dzhalchinov. Dzhangar is an outstanding expert leading one of the best teams on the market. Dzhangar is always available and fully committed to our matters, and so is his team. We are delighted with his personal and professional qualities – he is bold, independently thinking and creative – a true rock star f the legal world.‘
Jaguar Land Rover
Orco Property Group
X5 Retail Group
- Successfully represented a Russian water management company in a ₽2bn tax litigation case concerning intra-group services.
- Successfully represented an offshore drilling contractor in a ₽6.6bn case concerning the application of the beneficial ownership concept for the purpose of contesting treaty benefits in respect of bareboat charter fees.
- Successfully acted for a leading player in the global branded beverage industry in a ₽400m tax litigation case concerning the receipt of financial aid from EU and its reclassification by the Russian tax authorities.
The practice at FBK Legal expanded its expertise through its merger with St. Petersburg-based firm NB Legal Agency in 2019. The group is led out of the Moscow office, where managing partner Nadezhda Orlova, tax litigator Galina Akchurina and tax consulting expert Tatiana Matveicheva are the key contacts. The department garners praise for its tax work across contentious and non-contentious mandates, and provides the full scope of tax-related advice at a domestic and cross-border level. The team also increasingly focuses on tax monitoring services, and has recently launched a new tax monitoring group, chaired by Alexander Grigoriev. Tatiana Golovaneva and Mikhail Golovanev are also noted by clients. Dmitry Paramonov joined Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner (Russia) LLP in 2020.
Nadezhda Orlova; Galina Akchurina; Tatiana Matveicheva
‘FBK Legal’s specialists can resolve the most complex tax issues; they are well aware of the practices of the local tax authorities and of the Russian courts, which enables them to successfully represent our company for many years now.‘
‘We have been working with FBK Legal for over eight years. Taxation is a main practice area for the firm and we believe that the team is the best at what it does. Unlike multiple other firms, the firm houses a sizeable team of tax lawyers, who solely specialise in tax. This is why everyone in the team is aware of recent trends and precedents in the area. Also, the group consists of specialists not only in the area of law, but also in the fields of accounting and economics.‘
‘We have always been satisfied with our cooperation with the team during all these years; there has not been an occasion when the lawyers have appeared at a meeting unprepared. It is great that everyone goes beyond formally answering our questions; the team members try to gain a deeper understanding of the situation and explain to us issues and problems which we did not initially notice.‘
‘Our main contact is Galina Akchurina. We sincerely appreciate Galina’s expertise and we trust her opinion. She is highly responsive and always goes deep into detail. We appreciate that Galina’s legal opinions are always well reasoned, very clear and practical; they also contain relevant parts for our top management and a more detailed analysis for specialists. We do not need to ask for further explanations. Everything in very clear and easy to understand.‘
‘Tatiana Golovaneva properly calculates all tax risks and tax implications of all decisions to be made by our company. She assists us competently in our communication with the tax authorities.‘
‘Mikhail Golovanev is distinguished by his attention to detail, good presentation skills and his strict observance of deadlines.‘
DKV Euro Service GmbH + Co. KG Balcke-Dürr-Allee
Russian Fish Company
Russian Fishery Company
Home Credit Group
Oil Processing Company
- Advised McDonald’s on the recent legislative amendments applicable to VAT rates.
- Assisted Gazprom with VAT-related advice relating to contracts.
- Provided tax audit support to Achimgaz, particularly in relation to tax withholding and sums paid by the client to foreign entities.
Pepeliaev Group is a key name in the tax market in Moscow and has substantial tax dispute resolution knowledge. According to clients, managing partner Sergey Pepeliaev is a standout practitioner and is regularly retained by companies in actions before the Russian courts. In addition to his contentious tax experience, Rustem Ahmetshin handles international taxation mandates and advises on the application of legislation concerning controlled foreign companies. The group’s non-contentious experience also stands out, where it is adept at handling regulatory issues, VAT matters and the tax aspects of M&A transactions.
Sergey Pepeliaev; Rustem Ahmetshin
‘High level of expertise, focus on the needs of the client, and an ability to solve complex legal issues‘
‘Sergey Pepeliaev is excellent in strategizing and in understanding tax law exceptionally well. Sergey also has great organization and presentation skills.‘
‘Rustem Ahmetshin is a calm and confident leader. He reacts quickly to freshly arisen issues.‘
British American Tobacco
Brunswick Rail Group
Burovaya Kompaniya Eurasia
De Lage Landen Leasing
Metro Cash & Carry
Sony Mobile Communications
- Successfully defended Bamtonnelstroi in a case before the Supreme Court concerning issues relating to its allegedly premature VAT recovery.
- Acted for Burovaya Kompaniya Eurasia in multiple disputes against the Federal Service for Supervision of Natural Resources concerning the payment of charges for the placement of waste.
- Representing Knauf Insulation in challenging the results of a field tax audit.
ALRUD Law Firm fields a standalone tax practice consisting of specialists with legal and accounting experience. The team garners praise for its advice on private wealth tax planning to high net-worth individuals; senior partner and practice head Maxim Alekseyev is a key name in this space. The department also handles a wide scope of issues encompassing corporate tax, international tax and property-related tax work, and has notable expertise in the tax aspects of corporate restructurings and other transactions. Associate Sergey Artemiev is a key contact for contentious tax matters, and clients also single out counsels Elena Novikova and Kira Egorova.
‘The team is great for advice on Russian law, but also has an understanding of tactics and strategies involving a foreign element, particularly due to its extensive experience assisting private clients. I would also like to note that the team delves into the details of the client’s situation and does not cut corners in doing so.‘
‘Of counsel Elena Novikova is strong in projects involving the preparation of tax-related reports to be submitted to the Russian tax authorities. Elena has a very professional approach and you can always get in contact with her quickly.‘
‘Of counsel Kira Egorova has extensive experience in advising on issues at the junction of Russian and foreign law, particularly in the area of taxation, family and inheritance law.‘
Munich Re/ Ergo Group
- Advised Munich Re and Ergo Group on tax issues arising from the sale of Insurance Company Ergo Life LLC to Rosgosstrakh PJSC.
- Advised Zuffa International, the parent company of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), on tax issues relating to establishing and operating a UFC unit in Russia.
- Assisted VTB Capital with the tax and accounting aspects of the purchase of LLC Novorossiysk Grain Terminal.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner (Russia) LLP has notable experience in tax consulting work and tax litigation, which are areas of expertise for practice head Evgeny Timofeev. The group also provides customs and indirect tax advice through the knowledge of customs and international trade department leader Vladimir Tchikine. Counsel Alexander Erasov regularly defends clients against criminal tax allegations, and recently promoted counsel Anna Zelenskaya, who leads the tax advisory group, specialises in multi-jurisdictional tax restructurings. Counsel Anna Zvereva joined Dentons in 2019, and senior associate Dmitry Paramonov joined from FBK Legal in 2020.
‘The professionals at Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner keep their focus on the needs of the client and understand how businesses work. They also have expertise across multiple areas of law, which allows for any matter to be resolved by the same group.’
‘Vladimir Tchikine has great presentation skills.‘
Da Vinci Capital Management
Russian Gas Turbines
Siberian Generating Company
- Advised Da Vinci Capital Management on investing in DataArt, including carrying out pre-acquisition tax due diligence.
- Advising Vezet Group on tax issues relating to the sale of its IP and call centres business to MLU B.V.
- Represented Russian Gas Turbines, a joint venture between General Electric and Inter RAO, in a tax dispute concerning the overcharge of VAT by the tax authorities.
With offices in Moscow and St. Petersburg, DLA Piper’s tax group has considerable strength in non-contentious tax work including tax planning and tax structuring mandates. In the transfer pricing arena, the group also benefits from team members’ experience in economics. Department co-heads Ruslan Vasutin and Igor Venediktov are seasoned tax practitioners, and St. Petersburg-based Elena Mikhailovskaia has substantial experience in the field.
Ruslan Vasutin; Igor Venediktov
Bank Saint Petersburg
Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (BMW)
- Advised Zara CIS on the domestic and cross-bored tax implications of the global IT centralisation project launched by the Inditex Group.
- Advised VFI International on various issues relating to the revision of its cross-border structure of its import operations.
- Advised Sibeco Group on the Russian tax and currency control matters associated with the extension of its activities to foreign markets, particularly China.
Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners attracts private and corporate clients seeking assistance with matters spanning restructuring issues, tax planning and tax risk management. The department handles the tax aspects of large-scale projects, and acts alongside the firm’s private client, banking and finance, dispute resolution and corporate teams. Recently promoted partner Sergey Kalinin heads up the practice and assists with Russian and international contentious and non-contentious tax issues. Senior associate Ekaterina Roletr is also recommended. In 2020, the practice strengthened its international taxation expertise with the recruitment of counsel Igor Schikow, who returned to the group from Dentons.
‘EPAM’s lawyers have excellent knowledge of the law and exercise strict control over complex matters at all times.‘
‘The team understands standard and unique situations equally well; it also puts effort into fully grasping the specifics of each client’s situation and in understanding their business. It helps when clients and lawyers speak the same language and care about resolving the issues at hand.‘
‘The professional approach and the efficient support provided by Sergey Kalinin and senior associate Ekaterina Roletr helped our organisation in taking appropriate management decisions.‘
Herbert Smith Freehills
Herbert Smith Freehills has a solid reputation in the transactional and restructuring tax space, and handles contentious and non-contentious issues in the transportation, energy, mining, infrastructure and leisure sectors. The team also has notable experience advising on the tax aspects of capital market transactions. For international tax work, the team leverages the strength of the firm’s global network, and has recently cooperated with the teams in Paris and London. Practice head Oleg Konnov significantly contributes to the group’s international tax expertise, and senior associate Sergei Eremin is also a key contact.
Tigers Realm Coal
Willis Group Holdings plc
China Chengtong International Investment Corporation
Beijing Gas Group
Silk Road Fund
China National Petroleum Corporation
PW Power Systems
Schneider Electric Industries SAS
- Advised Groupe Atlantic on the tax aspects of the acquisition of a 45% stake in the commercial division of SST group of companies.
- Assisted Alstom Transport, in its capacity as a shareholder in CJSC Transmashholding, with tax regulation advice concerning Transmashholding’s merger with LocoTech-Service LLC.
- Advised Tigers Realm Coal on the restructuring of its employees incentive plan and related tax matters.
PwC Legal (PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal)
PwC Legal (PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal) has notable strength in tax litigation and regularly handles tax disputes at the pre-litigation stage; department head Raisa Alexakhina is a standout individual in this area. The team also has expertise in general tax consulting, tax restructuring, due diligence and compliance mandates. The group is also able to draw on the significant expertise of the firm’s global network. Legal director Maria Mikhaylova is also noted.
‘The lawyers at PwC Russia have diverse work backgrounds, which enables an improved decision-making process. The team shows an ability to listen and proactively addresses potential challenges.‘
‘Raisa Alexakhina is an amazing tax litigator.‘
Smith & Nephew
Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering Co.
China Communication & Construction Company
China Railway Eryuan Engineering Group
- Represented Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering Co. in a tax dispute arising out of the liquidation of the its subsidiary.
- Acted for Smith & Nephew in two disputes with the Russian customs authorities concerning its application for VAT relief.
- Represented Enel Russia in a dispute concerning its property tax exemption.
Taxology provides boutique advice to domestic and international clients across all regions of Russia, and is noted for its market presence in the retail sector. Tax litigation is at the core of the firm’s focus; Alexey Artyukh has significant tax litigation experience including at the Supreme Court level. Managing partners Ilya Mokryshev and Sergey Semenov are also key contacts, and Leonid Somov and Mikhail Uspenskiy are active in the practice.
Ilya Mokryshev; Sergey Semenov; Alexey Artyukh; Leonid Somov; Mikhail Uspenskiy
‘To put it simply — this is the dream team.‘
‘Competent lawyers who are able to understand all various areas of a client’s business activities, consider the particular controversial situation and offer adequate methods for improving it.‘
Metro Cash & Carry
AB InBev Efes
X5 Retail Group
- Successfully represented NAK Azot, a subsidiary of EuroChem Group, in a precedent tax exemption case concerning the application of federal property tax incentives to operations between associated parties.
- Successfully acted for Lesozavod-25 in Supreme Court proceedings concerning the criteria for differentiation between movable and immovable property.
- Successfully represented Inkar in a case at the Constitutional Court concerning the application of federal property tax incentives to operations between associated parties.
Eversheds Sutherland has a comprehensive approach to tax-related issues with particular expertise in tax management and tax advice work. Led by Andrey Grachev, the team also stands out for its depth of expertise in tax investigations, which are undertaken during tax-related disputes. The department is a key name for clients active in the aviation, rail and agricultural industries. Senior associate Anton Borisichev is also recommended.
‘The group stands out for the high quality of rendered services, its individual approach to each client, as well as the possibility to receive legal support in relation to tax matters across several jurisdictions.‘
‘Eversheds Sutherland is distinguished by its deep knowledge of Russian law and its specifics. The team can help clients in very difficult situations, where often there is no established legal practice.‘
‘We would like to thank Andrey Grachev and Anton Borisichev for their professionalism, promptness, efficiency and engagement. We have received very well-structured and comprehensible tax advice concerning not only the Russian jurisdiction, but also Kazakhstan, the Netherlands and the United Arab Emirates.‘
Hitachi Vantara Austria GmbH
Viking Life Saving Equipment Russia
- Assisted a large international tank container operator with restructuring its tank container lease business in Russia.
- Drafted a new policy for XPO Logistics incorporating recent amendments to the Russian Tax Code.
- Assisted a large IT corporation with structuring its business in Russia, taking into account changes to the VAT of electronic services for B2B operations.
KIAP (Korelskiy, Ischuk, Astafiev and Partners, Attorneys at Law) assists Russian and foreign companies with contentious and non-contentious tax matters including disputes against the tax authorities, tax compliance and due diligence work, and tax planning mandates. The team's sector expertise encompasses the manufacturing, metals, oil and gas, and financial services industries. Certified tax adviser and highly praised department head Andrey Zuykov has expanded the department’s client portfolio.
‘A great tax practice with a really strong team of professionals. This firm stands above the rest as it sees solutions where other lawyers see problems. High level of service, excellent client focus, unmatched in terms of industry knowledge.‘
‘I have always found the team to be professional and competent, providing practical and pragmatic legal advice.‘
‘A rare mix of high professionalism, intellect and modesty — this can be said about every lawyer at KIAP.‘
‘Andrey Zuykov is able to deal with the largest and most complex cases and quickly propose constructive business-oriented solutions; Andrey is also great at providing his competent opinion on potential commercial risks and complications.‘
‘For tax-related issues, we work with Andrey Zuykov. Andrey always goes above and beyond our expectations, he is very caring and polite, and always provides very good legal advice.‘
‘We value the ability of Andrey Zuykov to explain risks in a simple way and to find sustainable solutions.‘
TCC Retail Marketing
Russian Export Center JSC
- Successfully represented Rockwool in a tax case involving VAT and corporate tax claims.
- Acted for TCC Retail Marketing on tax assessment issues.
- Advising hypermarket chain Globus on counter-tax audits.
KPMG Russia has notable market presence beyond Moscow and St. Petersburg, and has strength in tax disputes, where recently promoted partner Andrey Ermolaev is particularly active. The team has been increasingly active in the oil and gas sector; practice head Mikhail Orlov and Victoria Turgeneva stand out in this field. The department’s expertise in tax planning expanded in 2018 with the arrival of Victor Kalgin from EY Law.
‘We appreciate the team’s systemic approach, the involvement of partners for high-quality strategic advice, and the appropriate use of legal professionals from other departments for the purpose of projects demanding cross-practice cooperation.‘
- Assisting a large online retailer with a tax audit.
- Representing a consumer goods supplier during the pre-litigation stage of its dispute with the tax authorities.
- Successfully represented Kit Ekaterinburg in a corporate property tax dispute with the Russian authorities.
The tax department at Noerr punches above its weight for general taxation advice and assistance with due diligence projects, transfer pricing matters and structuring issues. The team is also noted for its experience in mandates involving tax legislation and local and foreign tax authorities. Led by Maxim Vladimirov, the practice has expanded on its traditional strength in the automotive and retail industries with increasing instructions from life sciences clients.
‘Noerr has a highly professional and knowledgeable tax team. We see clear value in that the quality of the services are on par with the quality of services of local Big 4 firms. Also, we value that there is very low staff turnover, as we appreciate our long-term cooperation with familiar team members.‘
‘Excellent knowledge of Russian tax law, including new developments.‘
‘We work mainly with Maxim Vladimirov, who is up to date with the trends in interpretation of quite complex tax laws. This improves our understanding of relevant risks.‘
X5 Retail Group
MCM Klosterfrau Vertriebsgesellschaft mbH
Marel Holding B.V.
Volvo Finance Service Vostok OOO
Volvo Construction Equipment AB
LLC “East-West Logistics”
Jungheinrich Lift Trucks
- Assisting multiple clients with comprehensive advice on the VAT treatment of electronic services.
- Advising Marel Holding B.V. on the tax aspects of a construction project.
- Assisting Nutreco with general accounting and tax advice relating to the corporate restructuring of its local subsidiaries.
O2 Consulting has substantial expertise in domestic and international taxation matters, and also has notable strength in tax structuring mandates and the tax aspects of M&A transactions. Practice co-heads Natalya Kuznetsova and Tatyana Safonova are the key figures, alongside managing partner Olga Sorokina. The team expanded its capabilities in the taxation of financial and derivative transactions following the recruitment of Safonova from an in-house role in 2019.
Natalya Kuznetsova; Tatyana Safonova
‘O2 Consulting has an excellent client-oriented team, which can be trusted with even the most sophisticated issues. Lawyers assist in a timely manner and always manage to find the best up-to-date solutions.‘
‘The team is experienced in designing tax-efficient structures and in handling M&A-related matters.‘
‘O2 Consulting stands out for its ability to work under tight deadlines.‘
‘Natalya Kuznetsova is a widely recognised expert on tax issues. She is very knowledgeable and always pays attention to every tiny detail of the issue.‘
‘I would like to note Natalya Kuznetsova’s expertise in tax planning and restructuring of cross-border transactions. Olga Sorokina has a strong understanding of the Russian and international tax environment and practice. Both are specialists who are pleasant to work with.‘
Humans Net Inc.
Family Friends LLC
Prisma Labs, Inc.
Orbita Capital Partners/ RusBioVentures Capital
Wellington Properties Ltd.
Capture Technologies, LLC
- Assisted Wellington Properties with tax structuring matters.
- Assisted Prisma Labs, Inc. with the tax consequences for the company and option holders on options acceleration under the employee equity incentive plan.
- Assisted Efco Management Company with tax structuring advice.
Recent work highlights of VEGAS LEX’s tax team demonstrate its significant strength in the tax litigation space, where practice head Yuriy Ivanov leads on disputes with the Russian tax authorities. The group also handles tax audits, tax structuring mandates and the tax aspects of M&A transactions, and clients single out managing partner Alexander Sitnikov.
‘Vegas Lex established itself as a leading tax adviser — the lawyers at the firm are experts in tax law, on whom we can always rely.‘
‘The team always demonstrates a professional approach, exceptional tax-related competencies and expertise. The tax practice is also notable for its ability to solve complicated issues that involve different subtasks associated not only with tax law, but with finance and investment as well. The advice always seems to be practical and client-oriented.‘
‘I would like to express my gratitude to Yuriy Ivanov and Alexander Sitnikov for their great contribution to the development of an effective tax strategy for our company.‘
‘Yuriy Ivanov is an outstanding professional. Being a good tax expert, he also understands business processes, which allows him to oversee all associated risks. His support is crucial and ensures the most positive and competent final result.‘
- Successfully acted for Lukoil-Nizhnevolzhskneft in court proceedings brought against a contractor for the non-performance of its contractual obligations.
- Acting for Mosenergo in its appeal of a $2.5m overcharge of corporate property tax.
- Representing AF Group Trading Company in a tax dispute involving the application of thin capitalisation rules.
At ALTHAUS Legal, managing partner Rostislav Shatenok and Igor Smirnov jointly head up the tax department, which has key strength in the technology, TMT and financial services sectors. The team advises on all aspects of corporate tax matters including domestic and international corporate taxation, disputes against tax authorities, the tax elements of M&A transactions and transfer pricing issues. Another area of focus for the group is private tax work; managing partner Sergey Gerasimov is the key contact in this arena.
Rostislav Shatenok; Igor Smirnov
‘The team has a strong business-oriented approach. It achieves the best result for the client and avoids the narrow-minded behaviour that may interfere with achieving the simplest but best solution for the business.‘
‘Igor Smirnov is a great tax expert with vast experience and deep knowledge in the field. Apart from that, he is also smart and quick.‘
Man Truck & Bus Production Rus LLC
Companies of Continental Group
- Assisted DHL with high-value transfer pricing matters.
- Assisted TD Media with tax due diligence.
Andrey Gorodissky & Partners’ tax department provides tax counselling services with notable emphasis on tax audits and the tax-related aspects of M&A transactions. Thanks to the experience of practice head Valentin Moiseev and senior associate Evgeny Kalinin, the team is also well-equipped to handle tax disputes.
‘The team demonstrates high professionalism in tax and corporate matters and adopts a proactive approach to handling issues. It is also excellent in coordinating matters with foreign lawyers based abroad.‘
‘Valentin Moiseev has deep knowledge and excellent management skills.‘
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius
Vardanyan, Broitman and Partners
- Assisted Luxe Hotel with taxation issues relating to the loan-backed financing of a hotel renovation project.
- Advising Luxe Hotel on property tax matters.
- Assisted software developer Parallels with submitting complaints concerning unlawful actions undertaken by local tax inspection authorities.
Alexander Anichkin heads up Clifford Chance's tax department, which is regularly instructed by foreign investors and domestic companies on Russian and international tax matters. The team is also adept at handling indirect tax work and tax litigation. Senior associate Dmitrii Tolkachev is now at the firm's London office.
Infralex’s tax department works closely with the firm’s competition, corporate and dispute resolution teams, and is adept at handling contentious and non-contentious matters encompassing tax structuring work, corporate taxation, audits and disputes with the tax authorities. Recent work highlights demonstrate the breadth of the team's expertise in the oil and gas, real estate, financial services, airspace and defence, and education sectors. Ivan Shienok heads up the department, which fields Alexey Popov and Maxim Rovinskiy as key figures.
‘A robust combination of legal advice coupled with a strong litigation practice makes this team a provider of a solid-quality product.‘
‘I have known Maxim Rovinskiy and Ivan Shienok for more than ten years. We have cooperated with them on a variety of tax issues, and they have always done their best. I especially like that they are passionate about their work and are willing to take up the most difficult cases.‘
‘Maxim Rovinskiy is a very qualified and clever professional who delivers quick and reliable results.‘
‘Advocate Alexey Popov has great organisational skills. Alexey mapped out a very clear strategy for each case we had to handle.‘
United Aircraft Corporation of Russia
Rail Pro LLC
Buongiorno Mobile Rus LLC
Rusfond Charity Foundation
- Assisting Sberbank with forming a strategy for protecting its interests during disputes with the tax authorities.
- Advising leading telecoms operator MobileTeleSystems PJSC on complex tax consulting issues including the taxation of digital services and the application of tax relief to IT companies.
- Successfully assisted the Russia 2018 Local Organising Committee with terminating its activities and applying for tax exemptions.
Ivanyan and Partners utilises its strength in dispute resolution to act for its clients in tax litigation, cases involving tax controversies, and disputes at the pre-trial stage. The team is also experiencing an increase in instructions relating to tax structuring in the construction and infrastructure sectors. Practice head Dmitry Mikhailov is a seasoned expert in tax planning and contentious work, and Mark Rovinskiy handles complex international tax matters.
‘Proactive approach to problem solving, coupled with strong expertise in domestic and cross-border tax issues‘
‘The team has great, extensive experience which serves as a foundation for its high professionalism.‘
‘Mark Rovinskiy is an absolute professional, very client-oriented and attentive to clients’ needs. His clients can be confident that they receive business-tailored advice rather than a theoretical memo.‘
- Acting for Aquanika in a tax dispute arising out of its tax audit.
At LP Law Firm, the team acts for corporate clients and private individuals in disputes with the tax authorities and handles domestic and international tax structuring mandates, the tax aspects of M&A transactions, transfer pricing work and due diligence projects. Lidia Charikova left the firm in 2020.
‘My main impression is that the team provides continuous and efficient support. The manner in which the team members work with us is very comfortable due to their style of communication —I do not need to send them a written request for services and wait for several days, I can call during any time of the day and discuss everything very quickly.‘
Vnukovo International Airport
ZAO “Sky Food Vnukovo”
Amond Smith Ltd.
- Assisted International Vnukovo Airport with a tax audit and acted in a dispute with the tax authorities.
- Advised Sky Food Vnukovo on tax audit matters including interrogations held by the tax authorities.
Schekin & Partners
Schekin & Partners is a key name in the market for clients seeking tax consulting and tax audit advice. Led by managing partner Denis Schekin, the tax department is also adept at providing tax litigation support. Elena Bogdanova has niche expertise in tax and financial reporting work.
‘The strength of the team lies in its strong knowledge and its integrated approach to solving clients’ problems.‘
‘Services provided by Schekin & Partners LLC are of high quality. The team members are up to date with issues and developments in the tax field, particularly in relation to recent court practice as well as the application of tax legislation.‘
‘Denis Shekin and Elena Bogdanova are surely the specialists which I would contact, should there be a difficult matter.‘
- Represented a client in claims concerning the overcharge of VAT at the pre-litigation stage.
- Represented a chemical manufacturer in the pre-trial and trial stages of its dispute with the Federal Tax Service concerning its corporate tax assessment.
- Represented a client in an administrative dispute challenging a denial by tax inspectors to deduct interest accrued under a loan agreement.
At White & Case LLC, the tax department acts on the Russian tax aspects of complex cross-border transactions. The group provides standalone tax advice and also works in conjunction with the firm's corporate and M&A, banking and finance, capital markets, and real estate and construction teams. The ‘highly regarded’ Irina Dmitrieva heads up the practice.
‘White & Case is well known for its sophisticated tax structuring work, particularly in relation to big-ticket M&A deals and greenfield construction projects. The team has an outstanding leader – Irina Dmitrieva, who is highly respected.‘
‘The team is small but highly qualified and has suitable expertise to assist foreign companies which require English-speaking lawyers. Although the team is focused on tax, it is also able to work on issues arising in other practice areas as well. The department always goes the extra mile to provide detailed reports and opinions, explained in a clear manner to those who are not familiar with Russian tax law.‘
‘Irina Dmitrieva has demonstrated her deep knowledge of both domestic and international tax law. She is always available for urgent requests. Her high-level technical skills show during face-to-face meetings.‘
Telia Company AB
Nord Stream AG
- Advised Tenaris on complex tax issues concerning the establishment of its $240m joint venture with Severstal.
- Advised Mera Switzerland on all complex tax structuring issues related to the sale of its holding company, Mera International.
- Advised a number of high-profile financial institutions as underwriters on tax issues concerning the $220m IPO of American depositary shares by HeadHunter.
The tax disputes and international tax planning team at BGP Litigation stands out for its tax litigation capabilities. Practice head Alexander Golikov has expertise in the resolution of disputes at the pre-trial and litigation stages. Senior associate Anastasia Baskova is also recommended.
‘Very good experience and understanding of the Russian tax system. Creative and client-tailored solutions.‘
‘I was impressed by the team’s ability to go into the details of a project quickly and to understand the specifics of our industry, which later showed in the accuracy of the delivered advice and the high-quality representation during the dispute. The team’s preparedness to work on complicated cases under extremely demanding timelines is also important.‘
‘I would like to point out Alexander Golikov’s willingness to commence working at a project immediately, proposing the best solutions for reducing costs and minimising tax risks.‘
‘Anastasia Baskova is a great professional with deep knowledge and understanding of Russian tax law and its application.‘
Alfa Capital Management Company
Aton Investment Company
Banque Cramer & Cie SA
PJSC PIK Group
- Assisting LLC «Russialoppet» with general tax advice.
- Providing tax advice to private clients of management company Alfa Capital Management Company LLC.
- Provided general tax advice to Аton Investment Company.
Following its launch in 2018, the tax practice at Capital Legal Services has been notably active in the non-contentious space. The team particularly excels in compliance issues, matters concerning the recent amendments to Russian tax legislation, and transfer pricing mandates. Anastasya Kuzmina heads up the department in St. Petersburg.
‘The team provides practical and highly professional tax advisory services. The team members remain flexible and understand the needs of the clients.‘
‘Good knowledge of tax legislation and court practice, coupled with a good understanding of the client’s business — this is what makes the support of Capital Legal Service efficient. The firm also has the ability to introduce other specialists along the way who have previously been briefed internally. This is refreshing; most firms are able to pass on referrals to other departments, but we rarely see everyone come to the table prepared, up-to-speed and with understanding of our business and the issues at hand.‘
‘Anastasya Kuzmina is easy to communicate with and strives to simplify all complex tax matters for benefit of the client.‘
Malkov and Partners Consulting AG
Associated Press Television News
- Assisted Associated Press with advice concerning the taxation on foreign organisations providing e-services to Russian companies.
- Assisted a large timber industry client with a pre-verification tax examination of its activities.
- Assisted a large food processing company with tax compliance issues.
CMS’ tax practice handles domestic and cross-border tax matters and leverages the firm’s strong foothold internationally. The team also has notable expertise in the tax aspects of M&A transactions and due diligence issues; department head Dominique Tissot is the key practitioner.
Deloitte Legal’s tax disputes department is led by Anton Zykov, and has particular strength advising clients seeking tax controversy advice. Clients also single out the team’s expertise in cross-border work, particularly concerning the application of double taxation treaties.
‘Strong professionals with wide experience in tax matters and good knowledge of clients’ business. The lawyers demonstrate a highly proactive approach by providing strategic advice without waiting to be asked by clients.‘
‘The team is really experienced, open for discussion, and has deep understanding of the tax industry.‘
‘The team is particularly strong in complex cross-border tax matters and in the application of double tax treaties.‘
‘Anton Zykov has great experience. Anton is very responsive and remains engaged in each client’s project during the whole period of cooperation.‘
Papa John’s Pizza
- Represented X5 Retail Group in a tax dispute against the Russian tax authorities.
Forte Tax & Law
Based in St. Petersburg, boutique firm Forte Tax & Law provides advice on international taxation matters. The team has a particular depth of expertise in mandates relating to transfer price adjustment mechanisms and customs law. Anton Kabakov leads the group.
‘High-quality advice, timely solutions to problems, excellent communication.‘
‘Forte Tax and Law has a strong tax team focusing on international taxation.‘
‘Anton Kabakov is able to understand and comprehend his client’s situation easily and to provide advice very quickly.‘
‘Anton Kabakov is a unique legal specialist and consultant, as he is competent across a variety of areas, ranging between tax legislation, judicial practice and accounting. This allows Anton to comprehensively consider a particular scenario and to provide practical recommendations. Anton is also very client-oriented and knowledgeable.‘
Waukesha Bearings Russia
- Represented Normet in a dispute concerning customs charges.
TaxAdvisor assists large domestic clients with complex tax audits and transfer pricing matters, and also has a strong track record in the tax litigation space; managing partner Alexey Yakovlev has substantial experience in the contentious arena. Other key practitioners include managing partners Dmitri Kostalgin and Alexandra Alexeeva, who draw upon their experience in transfer pricing and tax regulation matters respectively.
YUST Law Firm
YUST Law Firm is regularly engaged by domestic and international clients for representation in administrative and court disputes against the Russian tax authorities. Yuriy Pilipenko and Igor Pastukhov head up the practice, which also has strength in general tax advisory work.
Yuriy Pilipenko; Igor Pastukhov
‘Excellent team of professionals who are prepared to respond quickly to any request by clients. The lawyers handle all tasks on time; their high responsiveness is of utmost importance to us, especially in a rapidly changing environment and in light of the tight deadlines specified by the regulators.‘
Sberbank of Russia
Porsche Russland / Porsche Center Moscow
The Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts
Gazprom Gas-Engine Fuel LLC
- Acting for Sberbank of Russia in a $1.5m tax dispute arising out of a tax audit.
- Representing Rusfinance LLC in a $4.5m tax dispute.
- Advising the Russian Football Union on general taxation issues.