Real estate and construction in Russia
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited handles the full scope of contentious and non-contentious issues relating to all types of real estate, including office, commercial, industrial and residential real estate. On the construction side, the group provides end-to-end advice for clients active in the mining, oil and gas, and fast-moving consumer goods sectors. Konstantine Kouzine heads up the practice from Moscow and is praised as ‘a very efficient leader’, and Maxim Kuznechenkov is noted for his recent work in the hotels and leisure industry. Beyond Moscow, Maxim Kalinin heads up the real estate group based in St. Petersburg, where counsel Olga Anikina is also a key contact. Senior associates Alexander Chudnovsky and Daria Mokrousova are also noted in Moscow.
‘The team is simply amazing. Lawyers know the market, work fast, and sometimes seem to understand their clients’ needs better than clients themselves could understand them.‘
‘This is a very reliable and professional team which has a very strong understanding of real estate and the financial market.‘
‘Konstanin Kouzine is an exceptionally polite and smart person. We communicate very openly and friendly. He and his team always try to understand our views.‘
‘Maxim Kuznechenkov has his own great experience but he also works with a great team.‘
‘Maxim Kuznechenkov is an exceptional partner, who is always available and suggests very practical solutions.‘
‘Konstanin Kouzine, Maxim Kuznechenkov, Alexander Chudnovsky are all very seasoned and reliable professionals, who maintain the highest standards of corporate culture.‘
‘Senior associate Daria Mokrousova is probably the best expert in leases.‘
‘Senior associate Alexander Chudnovsky works tirelessly and is very competent on complex construction issues.‘
The Boeing Company
- Assisted DOM.RF with signing a lease for a 42-storey office tower.
- Advised Amtel Properties, a real estate development and management group, on its acquisition of Holiday Inn Vinogradovo.
- Assisting Yakovlevsky Mining Factory with issues relating to the construction of a new ore drying line at Yakovlevsky GOK.
At Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner (Russia) LLP, Vitaly Mozharowski leads the real estate department and has substantial experience in real estate and construction projects. The department is particularly focused on the hotels and leisure sector, where team members assist clients with a broad array of issues relating to the management of ultra-luxury hotels, resorts, serviced apartments and villas. Clients also praise the team’s strength in handling commercial and industrial real property transactions. Rustam Aliev is a specialist in transactional issues spanning real estate and corporate law, and Yuri Chernobrivtsev has niche expertise in leasing matters, and acts for tenants and landlords. Counsels Dmitry Ilyin and Inna Firsova are also noted.
‘A very practical and thoughtful team which covers the whole spectrum of real estate issues. All team members are very creative, client-oriented and dedicated to completing a task.‘
‘The group has profound knowledge of both real estate and construction in particular and of how the market works in general.‘
‘Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner supported us very competently with negotiating very favourable terms under an agreement with a landlord.‘
‘The team is able to handle complex transactions in a timely manner, due to the depth and the expertise of the team and the adequate back-office resourcing.‘
‘Vitaly Mozharowski was our main contact for our project. The purpose of the instruction was to negotiate a lease with a local landlord. Mozharowski’s knowledge of the Russian laws and the particularities of the market assisted us with negotiating a great agreement. We are very pleased on the quality of services rendered by Mr. Mozharowski — without his professional assistance, we would not have achieved the same results.‘
‘Vitaly Mozharowski is very good in client service and team management.‘
‘Yuri Chernobrivtsev is an outstanding partner in lease matters – very dedicated to the client, practical and thoughtful.‘
‘We worked with Rustam Aliev, who represented us in various transactions. He has strong negotiation skills, a sharp mind, and in-depth knowledge of issues arising in relation to real estate and corporate law.‘
Sheremetyevo International Airport
X5 Retail Group
UFG Real Estate Russia
Raven Property Group
- Advised Wainbridge on joint ventures aimed at the development of ultra-luxury hotels in various locations.
- Advising ADG Group on lease agreements with tenants of 39 former Moscow movie theatres.
- Advising X5 Retail Group on the acquisition of multiple retail store chains, including over 200 stores in several highly populated Russian regions.
The real estate department at Clifford Chance has a solid reputation for property-related transactions. Led by ‘exceptional’ practice head Marc Bartholomy, the team acts for national and international investors on commercial property matters, and the Moscow-based group is able to rely on the construction law expertise of its London counterpart. Counsel Nick Diakoumis has specialist expertise in M&A, private equity, and joint venture transactions with a real estate element. Clients also single out counsel Ella Omelchenko and senior associate Anna Krutik.
‘A well-rounded practice with tons of experience‘
‘In the area of real estate and construction, the team’s main strengths are its high qualifications, effectiveness, efficiency, and its client-oriented approach. Lawyers in the team always demonstrate enthusiasm to help clients.‘
‘The team has a long history on the Russian real estate market — it has participated in some key deals over the years and seems to have built a fantastic knowledge of both law and practice in Russia.‘
‘Marc Bartholomy is an absolutely outstanding lawyer with a sharp eye for detail and unparalleled business acumen.‘
‘Marc Bartholomy successfully manages any project. He is particularly good at settling and resolving issues, notwithstanding their difficulty. Bartholomy is extremely helpful in complicated business negotiations.‘
‘Counsel Nick Diakoumis is efficient and high experienced; he respects his client’s interests and intents and proposes effective solutions. Nick is an excellent draftsman, possibly the best I have ever come across in the real estate M&A sector.‘
‘Senior associate Anna Krutik is qualified, efficient and experienced. Anna is an extremely helpful transactional lawyer, whom a client can fully rely on.‘
‘Anna Krutik and Ella Omelchenko are both hard-working and detailed in their analysis.‘
VTBC-Ashmore Real Estate Partners
Sberbank of Russia
Baikal Mining Company
- Advised VTB Capital on Yandex’s acquisition of real estate assets valued at $145m in Moscow.
- Advised Ihi plc, owner of the Corinthia Hotels Group, on an acquisition related to the Corinthia Hotel & Residences project in Moscow.
- Advised VTBC-Ashmore Real Estate Partners on the sale of the warehouse complex “8 March” to a Russian individual.
Dentons’ real estate and construction practice provides 'first-class legal advice' on M&A, joint ventures and finance transactions in the real estate sector. On the construction side, the group is instructed by end-users of greenfield and brownfield construction projects, while the real estate practice draws on the expertise of the firm’s local tax team for tax issues arising from transactions. The team also has notable strength in the hotels and hospitality, retail, pharmaceuticals and fast-moving consumer goods sectors. The ‘outstanding and extremely efficient’ Sergey Trakhtenberg heads up the national real estate group from Moscow, where he is assisted by highly regarded senior associates Olga Elliott and Tatyana Petrykina. Karina Chichkanova leads the team based in St. Petersburg, which was bolstered by the arrival of associates Maria Obolenskaya and Anna Savkunova from Kachkin & Partners in 2019.
‘The team has the ability to complete an engagement that includes both legal and tax issues. It cooperates with professionals from other departments at the firm, without losing time and without compromising the quality of the end product.‘
‘Dentons is able to work quickly on projects involving the processing of a large amount of information, as the firm has quite unique capabilities, both in terms of quantity of lawyers and quality of legal services. The team covering more than simple real estate matters, which very helpful if a client is dealing with complex transactions and needs a big team for prompt due diligence as well as advice on finance or arbitration-related issues.‘
‘The team in St. Petersburg is extremely professional, business-oriented, and strongly involved in local legal developments.‘
‘Sergey Trakhtenberg demonstrates excellent leadership skills – he is great at utilising all available resources and at finding highly motivated lawyers to do their job with passion. He also has deep knowledge of the specifics of the industry.‘
‘Sergey Trakhtenberg is always available and ready to provide advice, even when such is needed within a tight time-frame.‘
‘Sergey Trakhtenberg is an outstanding lawyer who is available 24/7 for assisting a client. Sergey is personally involved in every matter and ensures that everything is completed smoothly and to the highest standard.‘
‘Tatyana Petrykina is a unique associate who has great experience in real estate. Tatyana is a very dedicated professional who does not drop a single idea until it is fully examined.‘
‘Olga Elliott showed us a distinguished level of expertise; she was also very patient, helpful and friendly.‘
UFG Real Estate
Sberbank Asset Management
- Represented Morgal Investments in proceedings challenging a site development and a site survey plan developed by the client.
- Advising EuroChem on amendments to the open-book contract for the construction and installation of facilities for the potash plant’s technological lines with a contractor.
- Advised Raven Russia on the transactional stage of the acquisition of the second phase of the Logopark Sever 2 logistic complex from two sellers.
DLA Piper advises on the full scope of issues arising from real estate transactions and investments. Steffen Kaufmann is dual-qualified in England and Germany, and focuses on the transactional side of real estate matters as well as EPC contracts in the construction industry. Department leader Sergey Koltchin is a specialist in construction projects, land ownership rights and infrastructure development issues. The practice also has a strength in the hospitality sector, where legal director Pavel Elnikov is singled out by clients.
‘Team members truly work seamlessly as one.‘
‘Unique experience in the hotel industry; Pavel Elnikov is a unique expert in this sphere, a very dedicated person, who always comes up with thoughtful advice. Pavel is also very helpful in negotiations, due to his strong argumentation skills.‘
China Chengtong International
Professional Logistics Technologies
Belaya Dacha Park
UniCredit Bank Russia
- Acting for Volgafert LLC on the construction of a state-of-the-art urea production plant in Togliatti.
- Advising China Chengtong International, a Chinese investment group, on the proposed acquisition of the Peking hotel in central Moscow.
- Acting for Blagosostoyanie, a large Russian pension fund, on its proposed acquisition of a residential development project in Moscow.
Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners acts on high-value transactions relating to commercial and residential property, which is a key area of expertise for Moscow-based national real estate group leader Elena Gavrilina. The team also handles large-scale construction projects for a client base of architectural, engineering and construction companies. Managing partner Ivan Smirnov heads up the St. Petersburg practice and is a standout practitioner in the contentious real estate and construction space. Counsel Olga Mischenko is also a key contact in St. Petersburg. Counsel Andrey Bashirov departed in 2019.
- Advised a large investment company on a residential housing development project.
- Advised a managing company of a closed-end mutual fund on the implementation of an investment project plan concerning the construction of housing and social infrastructure.
- Advised a Russian construction company on removing the red lines from a land plot.
Herbert Smith Freehills
At Herbert Smith Freehills, managing partner and corporate law specialist Alexei Roudiak heads up the real estate department, which excels in commercial real estate transactions including standalone matters and the real estate aspects of larger M&A deals. The group is also singled out in the market for construction and engineering projects and the related disputes. Senior associates Oxana Koerner and Sergey Kolobov are also key contacts.
Enel Russia PJSC
Baltic Gas Chemical Company
LLC Gazprom Pererabotka
ABN Amro Bank N.V.
Baring Vostok Capital Partners Group
Nord Stream AG and Nord Stream 2 AG
Sberbank of Russia
VTB Bank (Deutschland) AG
- Advising Gazprom Pererabotka Blagoveshchensk on the construction, procurement and financing of the Amur Gas Processing Plant.
- Advised Groupe Atlantic on the negotiation and execution of the long-term lease of production and office areas as part of wider joint venture arrangements with SST Group.
At Norton Rose Fulbright, the cross-practice group led by corporate specialist Valentina Gluhovskaya handles a wide range of issues concerning commercial, residential and industrial real estate. The team also has a notable presence in the construction space, where it stands out for its extensive experience in EPC contracts. Senior associate Anastasia Kastelskaya is a key contact for contractual arrangements, and senior associate Natalia Petrovskaya is noted for her expertise in town planning and land regulation work.
‘The team shows understanding of the client’s business and its needs, and remains efficient in delivering services under strict deadlines.‘
White & Case LLC’s cross-practice group acts on high-value mandates relating to corporate and M&A transactions in the real estate sector, which is a key area of specialism for department co-head Eric Michailov. Fellow co-head Jonathan Langley is recommended for his English law expertise and acts on high-value commercial property matters, while counsel Daria Plotnikova is a key adviser for construction-related work.
Eric Michailov; Jonathan Langley
‘Unique experts, with great coverage of all areas we need, including finance, arbitration, and even English law expertise.‘
‘This is a solid practice of true professionals, who always remain business-oriented. We choose the team because lawyers have deep knowledge of both English and Russian applicable laws and of the relevant court practice, which they combine with a lot of experience.‘
‘We were looking for a law firm with particularly strong construction expertise; the team’s experience in the petrochemical industry was also a plus.‘
‘Eric Michailov is an exceptional person. He is very experienced, as he has been living in Russia for decades and has witnessed many significant changes in the local real estate market.‘
‘Jonathan Langley has perfect knowledge of relevant areas of English law. He is also very brilliant at contract drafting.‘
‘Counsel Daria Plotnikova is very experienced in construction matters and complex negotiations, as well as cross-border cooperation. Daria is responsive, always gets straight to the point and is prepared to take action immediately.‘
Sberbank/ Sberbank CIB
VTB Bank/ VTB Capital
PPF Real Estate
- Advised Yandex on its high-value acquisition of rights over a land plot in Moscow for the purpose of the construction of its headquarters office.
- Advised PPF Real Estate on the €171m acquisition of Stockmann Nevsky Centre LLC from Stockmann.
- Advised Hines on its acquisition of an office tower in the Metropolis Complex in Moscow from Heitman.
Clients praise ALRUD Law Firm's strength in the commercial property space, where it is instructed by domestic and international retail clients. The team is also noted for its ability to handle complex due diligence relating to high-value construction projects. Practice head Andrey Zharskiy has extensive experience in property development and construction projects. Senior associate Stanislav Veselov is also recommended.
‘A highly professional team: when we work on a tight schedule, team members remain responsive 24/7 and ready to deliver results quickly.‘
‘We regularly work with ALRUD on due diligence matters. The team is experienced and has significant knowledge of real estate matters. If a client needs advice, they can be confident that ALRUD’s lawyers will dive into the issue in sufficient depth and provide well-structured advice.‘
‘Stanislav Veselov has a very good understanding of clients’ needs and constraints. He is a flexible and proactive lawyer.‘
X5 Retail Group
Russian Direct Investment Fund
Louis Dreyfus Company
Samvardhana Motherson Reydel Companies
- Advised Louis Dreyfus Company on its joint venture relating to the construction of a grain terminal in Taman port of Russia.
- Acting for Stevedores Yamal on issues relating to the Sakhalin-2 development project.
- Advised retailer Lamoda on a built-to-suit lease deal for the development of a Class A warehouse for the needs of the client.
BEITEN BURKHARDT’s client roster encompasses a range of German and Austrian companies including manufacturers entering the local market or expanding their existing production facilities. On the construction side, the team specialises in greenfield and brownfield industrial projects, and various contract law issues arising from the construction industry. In the real estate space, the group leverages the expertise of other departments to handle property-related transactions. Practice co-heads Falk Tischendorf and Kamil Karibov lead the department, where associate Oleg Ljaljutski is also noted.
Falk Tischendorf; Kamil Karibov
‘Lawyers across all levels of seniority at the firm are trilingual, which is very helpful in complex cross-border matters.‘
‘From a German client’s perspective, the practice bridges the cultural and legal understanding required for legal work between Germany and the CIS.‘
‘Falk Tischendorf is highly experienced and a strong negotiator.‘
‘Associate Oleg Ljaljutski is highly responsive and reliable, and goes the extra mile.‘
Vamed Engineering GmbH
- Acted for Vamed Engineering in contentious issues relating to the completed construction of a medical centre in Sochi.
CMS fields a real estate practice, which handles non-contentious issues relating to commercial, industrial and residential property, and increasingly receives instructions in the hotel and leisure industry, leveraging the firm's global sector strength. The team also works with the banking and finance practice on real estate and construction finance issues. Counsel Artashes Oganov heads up the department and is a key contact for domestic and cross-border issues concerning M&A transactions in the real estate sector.
‘CMS’ lawyers are all professional people with superb legal skills and complete understanding of the needs of international clients. What is also worth mentioning is this is the best client service I have received in Russia, along with flexibility and ability to work under pressure.‘
‘Team members are strong negotiators, as well as patient and very deliberate lawyers. The team is well known in the market for handling complex deals which include real estate aspects.‘
‘Practice head Artashes Oganov is the best at what he does: he understands the law at its most complex point and manages any situation promptly and with high accuracy.‘
‘Artashes Oganov has a nice approach to engaging with clients, as he takes the time to listen and strives to provide excellent client service that best suits our needs.‘
Russian Direct Investment Fund
Sberbank of Russia
Ben Adams Architects
Vestas Manufacturing Rus
- Advised the Russian Direct Investment Fund on feeding site construction matters arising out of the client’s acquisition of shares in the Russian business of Inalca.
- Advised the Russian Direct Investment Fund on construction-related issues relating to its acquisition of a stake in the Russian agricultural business of TH Group.
- Advising Honeywell on all matters related to the acquisition of a land plot located in the Lipetsk Region Special Economic Zone and the subsequent construction of its first plant in Russia.
Dechert Russia LLC assists a mix of domestic and international clients with real estate transactions, and provides general real estate advice on all types of real estate properties. The department works with the firm’s dispute resolution group on contentious matters concerning construction projects. Managing partner Laura Brank is the key contact.
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
- Advising Kinross Gold Corporation on various subsoil rights issues relating to its acquisition of a Russian company holding licenses for mining deposits.
- Assisting Hyatt Hotels Corporation with negotiations concerning management contracts for its hotels in Russia.
Kachkin & Partners
Kachkin & Partners has significant experience in real estate transactions and also handles construction disputes. The team has a notable reputation in St. Petersburg, and also receives instructions from clients in Moscow and other Russian regions. Practice head Dmitry Nekrestyanov is well versed in acting on real estate and construction-related mandates, with particular expertise in land law matters. Associate Veronika Perfileva is a key contact for property investment issues.
‘One word describes the team very well – professionalism.‘
‘Kachkin & Partners’ lawyers are great to work with: they understand our business and are very efficient, experienced and reliable.‘
‘The team consists of specialists who truly know construction law and city planning issues; it is probably the most skilful team in this field in the city of Saint-Petersburg.‘
‘Dmitry Nekrestyanov is a naturally good speaker and presenter, which makes him highly skilled at persuading the court in his position.‘
‘We have worked with Dmitry Nekrestyanov for many years and have always had a very positive impression. He is extremely organised and dedicated to his clients, provides prompt answers and can react to any legal challenge in the most appropriate and efficient manner.‘
Seven Suns Development
Karl Faberge Museum
- Acted for Morgal Investments in a dispute concerning anticipated land planning under the Planetograd project.
- Advised RosStrojInvest on issues relating to acquiring a developer status.
- Advised leading construction company Seven Suns Development on the €20m purchase of a land plot for construction purposes.
KIAP (Korelskiy, Ischuk, Astafiev and Partners, Attorneys at Law) attracts praise for its property litigation expertise, which is an area of specialism for practice head Sergey Popov. The team also provides non-contentious advice on the day-to-day activities of its domestic and international clients. Associates Julia Usacheva and Sergey Ilin are also recommended.
‘What sets the team apart is its thorough understanding of the current situation in the industry, as well as its ability to make prompt and precise suggestions to solve a problem.‘
‘To our mind, KIAP is one of the most reliable and transparent firms on the market, which also has valuable professional experience. The team specialises in litigation in the real estate industry, which is an area in which we really appreciated its professionalism.‘
‘Sergey Popov is truly an outstanding real estate lawyer, who is very thorough and has extremely good knowledge of the field.‘
‘Associate Sergey Ilin is a very clever and capable associate with a strong mind and a swift reaction.‘
‘Associate Julia Usacheva is a helpful and highly qualified specialist in the sphere of property litigation.‘
- Advising Fosun on its day-to-day activities, including issues regarding the property management of a trade centre.
- Representing Globus in a dispute with a utility company concerning the recovery of waste water disposal costs for a retail complex.
- Acted for Rizzani de Eccher in a dispute with the owner of an upscale residential complex in the centre of Moscow.
Noerr’s real estate investment group is led by Thomas Mundry, and handles a wide array of issues including compliance advice, EPC contract matters and other complex contractual arrangements. The group is also praised for its ability to advise on greenfield and brownfield construction projects. Recently promoted counsel Ekaterina Kalinina is a key contact for issues concerning mortgages, leases and building design and construction work.
AO Avielen AG
ECE Projektmanagement G.m.b.H. & Co. KG
Bauer Maschinen GmbH
- Advised Deutsch-Russische Auslandshandelskammer on an agreement with Raiffeisen Leasing for the financial lease of its office premises in Moscow.
- Advised Rulog OOO on the acquisition of property rights to a warehouse in the Moscow Region from Uhrenholt OOO.
- Advised VTB Bank on an infrastructure finance project involving the construction of the Elista Severnaya and Mikhailovskaya solar power plants in Russia.
Pepeliaev Group fields a practice, which focuses on real estate transactions and construction projects; the group is also particularly well versed in providing regulatory advice. The team is advising a growing number of industrial and agricultural sector clients in Moscow and across Russia. Department co-heads Natalia Stenina and Alexey Konevsky are the key names to note.
Natalia Stenina; Alexey Konevsky
Mercedes Benz Rus
Moet Hennessy Distribution Rus
Procter & Gamble
UFG Private Equity Fund
Zaha Hadid Architects
- Advising Agroholding Taman on regulatory issues relating to the construction of a grain terminal.
- Advising Castorama Rus on its acquisition of development land plots for the purpose of constructing new Castorama retail stores.
- Assisting AO Citibank with due diligence relating to the properties it mortgages.
Led by Igor Chumachenko, the real estate, land and construction practice at VEGAS LEX handles contentious work and provides due diligence services to clients in Moscow and other Russian regions. The team is also expanding its roster of domestic clients in the commercial property space. Senior associate Ekaterina Ivanushkina is also a key team member.
‘Vegas Lex’s team is a well-known player on the Russian real estate market: its lawyers’ expertise and experience are the key elements for its success. Team members do not shy away from acting on truly complex construction disputes, in Moscow and in various other regions.‘
‘Igor Chumachenko is client-oriented and effective in bringing results.‘
‘Igor Chumachenko has passion for the law and shows creativity in applying it.‘
‘Ekaterina Ivanushkina is an extremely professional person. She understands clients’ needs perfectly.‘
Higher School of Economics
The Moscow Transport Hub Directorate
- Successfully represented the Higher School of Economics in a dispute against a contractor regarding the reconstruction of a set of buildings with significant historical and cultural value.
- Acted for OBL Pharm on issues relating to an EPC project for the construction of a pharmaceutical plant in Moscow region.
- Advised PromCapital on a renovation project relating to the Novoslobodskiy complex in Moscow City Centre.
Borenius handles contentious and non-contentious issues for its client base of leading domestic oil companies, large developers and other leading industrial players. The team also handles construction and development projects concerning facilities in multiple sectors including green and brownfield projects. Newly promoted specialist partner Arina Dovzhenko joined the firm from Dentons in 2019 and leads the practice following Maya Petrova's departure; her arrival significantly broadened the department’s expertise in real estate and land plot transactions.
Elena Stepanova and Vladislav Zabrodin head up the real estate and construction team at Capital Legal Services, which acts for a mix of Russian and international clients. The team excels in assisting clients with developing real estate investment strategies in the local market, and is increasingly active in issues in the Russian regions. The team has sector-specific expertise across multiple industries, and has been recently active in the retail sector.
Elena Stepanova; Vladislav Zabrodin
‘I would like to highlight the unique approach of the real estate practice to solving issues, as the team is able to find unusual and effective solutions. We choose the services of CLS due to the team’s knowledge of the market and our positive prior experience with the firm.‘
‘The team’s advice is always on point, while its solutions are also very elaborate at the same time. The team members respond to any request very quickly and provide services without delays.‘
‘I admire Capital Legal Services’ client-oriented approach and responsiveness. The team is always keen and ready to support us and our clients with tailor-made legal solutions. Importantly, CLS provides us with confidence due to the high quality of its services.‘
‘Elena Stepanova is always involved in our issues. She is very experienced and remembers the details of cases that she has worked on years ago. Although she obviously delegates some of her work to her colleagues, she still follows every step of the work; if you have questions, you can turn to her directly.‘
‘Elena Stepanova seems to know the answers to all our questions. Elena brings a wonderful combination of professionalism and a friendly, helpful attitude.‘
‘Vladislav Zabrodin is good at keeping us informed and demonstrates a high level of professionalism.‘
Imagim Real Estate Development
- Advised DIY chain Leroy Merlin on its acquisition of 12 K-Rauta stores owned by Kesko.
- Assisting Regus PLC with the real estate aspects of its day-to-day activities.
- Advised ZTI on the implementation of an investment project relating to the construction of a plant in Samara Region.
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP’s department focuses on transactions and investments in the real estate sector. In particular, the team excels in handling contractual issues, due diligence projects and land use and development work. Alyona Kutcher leads the practice.
‘Great experience in Russia’s real estate market, coupled with deep understanding of industry trends‘
‘Alyona Kutcher is an excellent partner, who is very dedicated and experienced.‘
Sberbank of Russia
PPF Real Estate
Arena Star Group Ltd.
- Advised Sberbank of Russia on its acquisition of land rights and multiple mixed-use administrative and office buildings near Moscow City.
- Advising a leading Russian bank on the potential sale of a multi-functional business centre in Moscow.
- Advising PPF Real Estate ion the construction of the second stage of Comcity Office Park in Moscow.
Hogan Lovells (CIS) stands out for its strength in transactional work including real estate investments, property acquisitions and lease transactions. Clients benefit from the team’s close cooperation with the firm’s offices in Germany and the UK. In Russia, the department adopts a one-stop approach and works closely with the corporate, commercial and regulatory teams. Corporate expert Oxana Balayan is the key practitioner, alongside counsels Maria Baeva and Leonid Ervits.
Host Broadcast Services
- Advised Magnit PJSC on the real estate aspects of its acquisition of Sia Group.
- Advising Dell on leasing matters, construction work and other issues related to its offices in different cities across the Russian Federation.
- Assisting Host Broadcast with matters relating to the construction of the International Broadcast Centre for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Crocus City.
The real estate and investments department at Ivanyan and Partners is spearheaded by Alexey Kozyakov and Aleksandr Milosavlevich, based in St. Petersburg and Moscow, respectively. The group has a cross-practice approach to real estate investment transactions and draws on the expertise of specialists in finance and tax. The dispute resolution group additionally enhances the team’s ability to act in disputes relating to investment and privatisation agreements.
Alexey Kozyakov; Aleksandr Milosavlevich
‘A great team consisting of very considerate professionals, who also have great knowledge and truly understand our needs. The results always match our expectations.‘
‘Aleksandr Milosavlevich is a very talented lawyer who knows the ins and outs of the real estate and construction industry.‘
Olga Kozyr leads the cross-departmental group at King & Spalding LLP, which acts on transactions and construction mandates including greenfield and brownfield projects. The team draws on the expertise of the energy, tax, finance and corporate departments, and works closely with the firm's offices in the Middle East, London, Paris and Frankfurt. Alla Naglis and counsel Iliya Zotkin are also key figures in the team.
Mirland Development Corp.
Petra 8 LLC
Investitsionnno-Ipotechnaya Kompaniya, LLC
AMG International, Inc.
Global I LLC
Taman Grain Terminal Holdings
Gazprombank Invest LLC
LLC Ekstruzionnye Tekhnologii
Silo Consulting LLC
Grain Terminal Complex Taman LLC
- Advising AMG LLC on the negotiation of a development agreement regarding the development of an industrial zone in the Moscow region and the related formation of a joint venture.
- Advising Autoprioritet LLC on high-value matters concerning a mortgage of two buildings and a pledge of leasehold.
- Acted for an international petrochemical company on structuring a joint venture for the greenfield development of a major manufacturing facility in Russia.
Sirota & Partners provides advice on construction projects including land acquisition and land use rights, construction contracts and disputes arising in the construction space. The team particularly demonstrates expertise in contractual arrangements including design documentation. Name partner Artem Sirota leads the team and has extensive experience advising on the public law aspects of real estate transactions and regulatory matters.
‘From the very beginning, Sirota & Partners provided us with legal support on a highly professional level. All requests are always addressed in a timely manner and are of high quality.‘
‘Artem Sirota is a well-known specialist in the field of real estate and construction in Moscow, and we mostly refer directly to him. He is attentive, professional and efficient.‘
Deilmann Haniel GmbH
Zorlu Holding A.S.
- Successfully represented Deilmann Haniel in various construction-related disputes with a large potash producer.
- Advised Deilmann Haniel on negotiations with its customer concerning construction issues.
- Represented Zorlu Holding in a land use dispute with the Russian authorities.
YUST Law Firm
The recent work of YUST Law Firm demonstrates the department’s strength in regulatory issues and due diligence projects. The team has a notable presence in the Russian housing sector. Led by Anna Kotova-Smolenskaya, Alexander Bolomatov and Tatiana Starikova, the group receives construction-related instructions from clients in the Krasnodar Region.
Anna Kotova-Smolenskaya; Alexander Bolomatov; Tatiana Starikova
‘A very experienced team of professionals, which successfully meets even very tight deadlines and consistently delivers high-quality results.‘
‘It is very comfortable to work with the team because it always stays in touch, and takes all of our issues and comments into account.‘
‘Anna Kotova-Smolenskaya effectively leads a highly professional team of lawyers. Anna is a very well-known lawyer in the Russian legal community in the fields of PPP, real estate and corporate law.‘
X5 Retail Group
VTB Real Estate LLC
Sibur Holding PJSC
Invasta Capital LLC
Samsung C&T Corporation
Baltic Gas Chemical Company Ltd.
Highland Gold Mining (RDM)
- Asissted X5 Retail Group with its purchase of over 40 retail properties in the Krasnoyarsk Region and the Republic of Khakassia.
- Assisting VTB Real Estate LLC with the purchase of shares in a popular resort in Krasnodar Region.
- Assisting Baltic Gas Chemical Company with the implementation of a project for the construction of a large methanol plant in Leningrad Region.