Energy and natural resources in Russia
The energy and natural resources team at ALRUD Law Firm is known particularly for assisting with both domestic and global M&A and joint venture deals. Practice head Andrey Zharskiy is supported within the practice by corporate finance specialist Alexander Zharskiy and senior associate Timur Akhundov; Akhundov specialises in regulatory issues concerning the energy and mining sectors, and is also proficient in advising on investment and project development matters. The firm remains a key point of contact for Asian investors, including the China National Gold Group.
Other key lawyers:
Alexander Zharskiy; Timur Akhundov
‘The team is good, capable and target oriented. They have a very professional attitude and fare better than some of their competitors in the market.’
‘The senior counsel and partners have always given quality time and are available on short notice. They are approachable and professional.’
China National Gold Group
Coeclerici and its Russian subsidiary KISK
Coal company “Sibirskaya
Zhongman Petroleum and Natural Gas Group Corp.
Great Dyke Investments
- Advising Mechel, a leading mining and metals company, on the sale of its 51% participatory interest in the companies which operate the Elga coalfield project.
- Advising China Gold on the joint development of a Russian gold mining project.
- Advising Nabors Industries on the acquisition of Tesco Corporation, a leading global provider of technology-based solutions for drilling, servicing and completion of wells.
Baker Botts L.L.P.
Baker Botts L.L.P. continues to be a firm of choice for the leading energy and natural resources players in Russia; Rosneft, Novatek and Gazprom are just some of the notable clients which regularly instruct the team to assist with prestigious domestic and global mandates. Practice head Mikhail Semyonov is instrumental in leveraging the practice's cross-border strength, and co-operates particularly closely with the London office. Managing partner Maxim Levinson brings his previous experience of both in-house and private work in the natural resources field to the group. Konstantin Litvinenko is also noted.
Maxim Levinson; Mikhail Semyonov
Other key lawyers:
Novatek Gas & Power
Rosneft Oil Company
- Advising Novatek on various corporate and shareholder issues related to the Yamal LNG and Arctic LNG 2 projects.
- Advising Rosneft on the establishment of a joint venture with General Electric.
- Assisting Novatek with the sale of a 10% stake in the Arctic LNG 2 project company.
Herbert Smith Freehills
The well-regarded practice at Herbert Smith Freehills is distinguished by its highly specialised offering, which comprises 'top-notch professionals at every level of the firm'. Corporate experts within the team include Oleg Konnov, Alexei Roudiak and newly promoted partner Evgeny Yuriev. For project finance mandates, Olga Davydava and Vadim Panin are the names to note; the latter made partner in May 2020. 'Legal visionary' Danila Logofet takes the lead on construction matters, focusing particularly on downstream projects and continuing to strengthen the group's links with Asian clients. Another area of strength for the firm is its 'exclusive competence in the drafting of EPC contracts in mining'.
Alexei Roudiak; Olga Davydava; Danila Logofet; Oleg Konnov; Evgeny Yuriev
Other key lawyers:
‘HSF is unique due to a list of exceptional professionals involved and a strong portfolio of projects. The global HSF network and the highest standards of legal service make it easy to do any energy project in any part of the world.’
‘Oleg Konnov is a great expert in corporate matters with profound knowledge of a client’s needs. Oleg has a good command of the strategic view. Ready to propose a solution in every single case. Evgeny Yuriev is a qualified expert with a solid experience in different spheres of law which concern the energy sector. Always in touch with a client, motivated and attentive to details.’
‘The main difference between Herbert Smith Freehills and other law firm teams is their commercial approach to project implementation. Their participation is not limited to purely legal issues (as is often the case with legal consultants) – they delve into all commercial and technical aspects of projects and are directly involved in negotiating such conditions with counterparties. Unlike other law firms, Herbert Smith Freehills lawyers can support English law projects with the help of Moscow office lawyers with minimal involvement of lawyers from foreign offices. This greatly simplifies the process of interaction.’
‘The team is very capable with an exceptional understanding of the current market best practices.’
‘Danila Logofet is an exceptional team leader, has a very personal and open approach to the client’s queries. For us he is a trusted partner with a deep commercial and legal insight having a reliable team who we gladly ask for help on complex strategic projects.’
‘Top-notch professionals at every level of the firm, exclusive competence in the drafting of EPC contracts in mining, as well as in project finance.’
‘Danila Logofet is a legal visionary who is always looking for new opportunities and zones of co-operation with clients.’
‘Alexei Roudiak is the strongest partner that has excellent negotiation skills and is available to assist you 24/7. Alexei is very commercially oriented. Danila Logofet is very efficient and is fully involved in the project. Evgeny Yuriev is very committed to the client and will carefully take you through the project. He has great expertise in energy issues and will be around whenever you need him.’
Nord Stream 2 AG
CNODC Dawn Light Limited
Gazprom Pererabotka Blagoveschensk
Rosatom and its subsidiaries
Gazprom and its subsidiaries
PT Pertamina Rosneft Pengolahan dan Petrokimia
LLC RusChemAlliance – joint venture of Gazprom and RusGazDobycha
Inpex and Itochu (via their consortium Japan South Sakha Oil Company Limited)
- Advising VTB Bank, State Development Corporation VEB.RF and the Far East Development Fund, as lenders, on the financing of the $2.8bn construction of the Nakhodka Fertilizer Plant.
- Advising Lukoil on various issues relating to the development of a greenfield downstream project in Russia, and its potential project financing.
- Advised Gazprom on the creation of an engineering joint venture between the client and Linde.
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP's CIS team, under the leadership of experienced practitioner Jonathan Hines, continues to attract instructions from prominent global corporates, development and exploration companies, and international traders in the energy, mining, and power sectors. With the recent arrival of Jennifer Josefson and senior associate Alexandra Rotar from King & Spalding LLP, the firm significantly strengthened its expertise in the oil, gas, LNG, petrochemicals, and natural resources industries. For structured and project finance, syndicated lending and insolvency issues, Grigory Marinichev is the name to note. Of counsel Alexander Marchenko advises clients on onshore and offshore acquisitions and divestitures of exploration and production assets.
Jonathan Hines; Jennifer Josefson
Other key lawyers:
Alexander Marchenko; Grigory Marinichev; Alexandra Rotar
‘The Energy and Natural resources practice of the Moscow Office has highly qualified lawyers (especially, Jennifer Josefson and Alexandra Rotar) advising on various complicated matters at all phases of energy related projects on very short notice, if required by the client. They are active in knowledge sharing with clients via various events and aware of, and, to some extent, form today’s trends of regulation in various energy related matters and may easily provide solutions and necessary drafting of project documentation.’
‘Jennifer Josefson is a very sharp lawyer and a great negotiator. She has a deep understanding of the Russian market as well as of the needs of non-Russian investors.’
‘Always top quality, client orientation, industry knowledge.’
‘Jenifer Josefson stands out for her understanding of the client’s needs, ability to deal with complex and sensitive matters as well as to drive the project efficiently.’
‘We are extremely grateful for their exceptionally focused analysis, clear recommendations, opinions and arguments. Deep knowledge of the specifics of the Russian oil and gas industry. At the same time, assistance in finding common ground with international practice.’
‘The highest professionalism (the office team from Russia gives seminars for European colleagues), creativity, understanding of the client’s interest and focus on results, attentiveness, openness, confidentiality.’
China National Petroleum Company (CNPC)
Fosun International Ltd, Zhaojin Mining Ltd., China-Eurasian Cooperation Fund (CEF)
Russian Copper Company
State Oil Company of Azerbaijan [Russia project, for SOCAR Rus – the Russian subsidiary]
- Advising a major Asian state-owned oil and gas company on its proposed acquisition of strategic minority stakes from Rosneft in two substantial exploration and production field clusters in Russia.
- Advising VTB Bank on a €500m secured financing to Trimes Holdings, a Russian Platinum group SPV created for the purposes of establishing a joint venture with Norilsk Nickel group for the development of the Maslovskoye, Chernogorskoye and Norilsk-1 deposits.
Under the leadership of Igor Ostapets, the team at White & Case LLC is able to leverage its global network to provide seamless cross-border expertise in the energy and natural resources sectors. The group is known for its proficiency in handling the highest value transactions, financings, disputes and competition law mandates. Natalia Nikitina is frequently instructed by major Russian banks to advise on acquisition finance, LBOs, derivatives and project finance matters. Ekaterina Logvinova is a key contact for mining issues, including restructuring and pre-export finance; she is also known for handling sanctions-related work.
Other key lawyers:
Ekaterina Logvinova; Natalia Nikitina
Intesa Sanpaolo S.p.A.
Lenders to Volgafert LLC
- Advised VTB Bank on the $1.7bn financial restructuring of the Mechel Group, one of the leading Russian mining and metals companies.
- Advised Saudi Aramco on its $69.1bn acquisition of a 70% in the Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC) from the Public Investment Fund (PIF) in Saudi Arabia.
- Advised the lenders on the ECA-backed project financing of the Volgafert Urea Plant in Togliatti, Russia.
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited's team is sought out for international transactions thanks to the firm's presence globally, and it is particularly active in the mining and oil and gas sectors. The firm is also actively involved with the growing renewable energy market in Russia. In Moscow, the key contacts are Alexey Frolov and senior associate Kirill Manshin; the former advises global and domestic clients on high-profile M&A deals and joint ventures, as well as on subsoil and environmental regulatory issues. In St Petersburg, Maxim Kalinin is the name to note.
Alexey Frolov; Maxim Kalinin
Other key lawyers:
‘Possessing deep industry knowledge, experience and impeccable legal technique, Alexey Frolov and Kirill Manshin have especially distinguished themselves in ensuring the synergy of requirements of various jurisdictions when structuring an international transaction in the oil and gas industry. The team of Alexey Frolov and Kirill Manshin is distinguished by a high level of professional ethics and sensitive attention to the needs of the client: in order to provide timely and high-quality legal support during the work on the deal, both the dynamics of negotiations and the difference in time zones in the countries of location of the parties were always taken into account.’
‘High level of legal expertise, timely and prompt provision of services, customer focus.’
Alliance Mining Group/Russian Platinum
National Oilwell Varco, Inc.
- Advised the Russian Platinum Group on its 50/50 joint venture with Norilsk Nickel in connection with the proposed development of disseminated ore deposits in the Norilsk Industrial District.
- Advised Amur Zoloto shareholders on a conditional agreement between Kopy Goldfields, HC Alliance Mining Group and Lexor Group, whereby Kopy Goldfieds agreed to acquire 100% of the shares in Amur Gold Company through a reverse takeover.
- Advised Gazprom Neft on its establishment of a joint venture with Shell to develop license blocks in the Yamal-Nenets Autonomous region.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner (Russia) LLP
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner (Russia) LLP is able to leverage the cross-departmental expertise provided by specialists at its 31 global offices to advise key players from the natural resources, oil and gas, and mining sectors at every stage of the production cycle. Practice head Aydin Jebrailov, noted by one client as an 'outstanding specialist in his field', is equally adept at handling transactional and regulatory matters, and also has comprehensive experience of complex reorganisations and transfers of subsoil rights. Corporate specialists Anton Sitnikov, Matvey Kaploukhiy and Anton Panchenkov are noted for their work on M&A and joint ventures. Of counsel Yury Babichev handles contentious matters.
Other key lawyers:
Anton Sitnikov; Matvey Kaploukhiy; Anton Panchenkov; Yury Babichev
‘In my opinion, this company has an excellent system for the selection of a team of multi-directional lawyers who can answer all questions during the transaction, even the most unexpected.’
‘Aydin Jebrailov perfectly selects and leads the team. Always correct and very sociable person. Has a wide range of knowledge beyond his competence.’
‘The BCLP team is distinguished by the high quality of work on the most complex and large-scale projects – both locally and internationally. The BCLP team always provides valuable and effective strategic advice and quickly responds to our requests, offering carefully calibrated solutions, which contributes to the successful implementation of any complex tasks, cross-border transactions, and projects of strategic importance for our activities. We have been working with individual lawyers of the team for many years and are certainly pleased with our cooperation.’
‘Aydin Jebrailov is an experienced and professional lawyer with valuable knowledge of oil and gas regulation. His extensive experience and thorough knowledge of the specifics of this industry cause admiration and confidence that any problems will be solved at the highest level.’
‘We have established working relations with BCLP and Aydin’s team and the first concrete steps in our work confirm our positive work experience. The fact that I have been working with Aydin’s team for such a long period of time, despite the fact that I personally know the leading lawyers of the largest law firms working in Russia, gives an idea of my opinion about the professional level of the team in comparison with competitors.’
‘In my opinion Aydin Jebrailov is an outstanding specialist in his field, an equal to whom it is difficult to find in Russia. My opinion is the result of many years of experience.’
‘Accumulated expertise and experience, as well as a wide industry network related to energy and renewable energy in Russia and beyond. Personal interest and involvement of lawyers to drive new approaches in the energy sector in Russia, engage in complex projects, and work not only with the customer, but also with regulatory authorities to form new market rules. Strong focus on results and search for creative solutions, compromises and new opportunities for the industry, customer, supplier and practice.’
‘The BCLP team stands out for their technical excellence in all aspects of their work. Their advice is precise and pragmatic, both legally and commercially.’
Siberian Generating Company (SUEK Group)
KOPY Goldfields AB
South Stream Transport B.V.
Coral Energy PTE
Eurasian Resources Group
PAO Mechel Group
- Advised on the construction of the Russian section of the South/TurkStream Offshore Pipeline project.
- Advised Yenisei TGK, a subsidiary of the Siberian Generating Company, on the $163m acquisition of the Krasnoyarskaya GRES-2 power plant from OGK-2, Gazprom Energoholding Group.
- Advising the Mechel Group, a major Russian steel and coal producer, on a complex restructuring.
At Dentons, practice head Alexei Zakharko and Konstantin Kroll have significant transactional expertise, regularly assisting notable domestic and international clients with high-value M&A deals, as well as a diversity of projects in the energy sector. Financial institutions, media companies and state players frequently instruct corporate specialist Maria Oleinik, who has particular experience of the oil and gas industry. Edward Borovikov is a key name for global trade and investment issues, and Louis Skyner is noted for his advice to E&P companies on their participation in upstream and downstream projects in Russia and the CIS.
Other key lawyers:
Konstantin Kroll; Maria Oleinik; Edward Borovikov; Louis Skyner
‘Deep understanding of the customer’s needs while maintaining a high quality of legal expertise.’
‘Customer orientation, availability, ready to help in a short time. Professional team of lawyers.’
Maxim Vorobyev / CFC Management
Epsilon Development Company
Beineu-Shymkent Gas Pipeline
- Advised CFC Management on the structuring and acquisition of a 40% stake in Ultramar, a seaport terminal specialising in the handling of mineral fertilisers in Ust-Luga, and a joint venture with the seller.
- Advised Acron, one of the largest mineral fertiliser manufacturers in the world, on structuring and transaction documentation for the $1.8bn project financing of the development of the world’s largest potassium-magnesium salt deposit in Perm Krai, to be provided by VEB.RF, Gazprombank, Otkritie, VTB and Sberbank.
- Advised the Beineu-Shymkent Gas Pipeline on a $720m refinancing facility agreement arranged by Bank of China Grand Cayman Branch and MUFG Bank.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Linklaters' group is distinguished by its ability to provide end-to-end advice covering all aspects of a project in key sectors such as power and mining, from initial development through construction to M&A and disposal. Grigory Gadzhiev focuses particularly on joint ventures and strategic alliances and counsel Julia Voskoboinikova is noted for her expertise in structuring and developing financings, for both borrowers and lenders. Ilia Ditiatev, who is qualified in English law and splits his time between the Moscow and London offices, exemplifies the firm's global focus.
Ilia Ditiatev; Grigory Gadzhiev; Julia Voskoboinikova
‘One of the best teams on the Russian and CIS market, comprehensive expertise, experience in supporting the largest project finance transactions in the industry, customer focus, deep understanding of the specifics of the industry, knowledge of the main players and key trends.’
Euler Hermes and other ECAs
- Advising JBIC, NEXI, CDB, SACE, Bpifrance, Euler Hermes and commercial banks on the multi-sourced $8-10bn financing for the construction of the Arctic 2 LNG Project in Russia.
- Advising ECAs, DFIs and commercial banks on the $12bn Amur gas-to-chemicals Complex to be developed by Sibur and Sinopec.
- Advising Gazprombank, VEB.RF and Sberbank on the syndicated project financing of the copper deposit development, Udokan Copper Project.
The energy and natural resources offering at Norton Rose Fulbright leverages the firm's extensive corporate, banking and dispute resolution expertise to provide a full range of services to an enviable roster of notable companies from the oil and gas industry. Core team members include Anatoly Andriash, whose key clients include Rosneft and Shell; co-head of the Moscow office Valentina Gluhovskaya; transactional expert Julian Triall; banking and finance specialist Alexander Tsakoev; and Yaroslav Klimov, who focuses on litigious matters. The group is also handling an increasing amount of work in the mining and nuclear power sectors.
Valentina Gluhovskaya; Anatoly Andriash; Alexander Tsakoev; Yaroslav Klimov
Other key lawyers:
Rosneft Oil Company
BP Exploration Operating Company Limited
Barrick Gold Corporation
Kinross Gold Corporation
Deutsche Bank AG
- Advised Shell on its planned joint venture with Gazprom Neft.
- Advised Tatneft, one of the leading integrated oil and gas companies in Russia, on the acquisition of the retail fuel stations business of Neste Corporation in Russia.
- Advised a syndicate of six international banks, led by Deutsche Bank, on a new pre-export finance facility of up to $800m for the Cypriot holding company of the Suek group, the largest Russian coal producer.
The most notable players in the oil industry, both those based in Russia and those with business interests there, regularly instruct the team at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP. The firm is known for its ability to handle transactional deals, disputes, tax and regulatory matters for such clients. Practice head Natalia Baratiants focuses on structuring strategic and portfolio investments, as well as on assisting with cross-border acquisitions.
Lukoil Overseas Inc
- Advised Lukoil on the successful completion of its issuance of $1.5bn worth of eurobonds, listed on the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange.
- Advised Lukoil on its agreement to acquire a 25% interest in the Marine XII license in the Republic of Congo from New Age M12 Holdings Limited for $800m.
- Advised Lukoil on its acquisition of a 5% working interest in the Ghasha oil and gas concession offshore UAE from ADNOC.
Domestic and international banks, financial institutions, investors and developers regularly turn to the team at Clifford Chance, which is noted for its transactional expertise. The key contacts are banking and finance specialist Victoria Bortkevicha; Arthur Iliev, who also heads up the firm's equity capital markets group, and focuses on M&A work and public offerings of securities in the energy and natural resources sector; and dispute resolution expert Timur Aitkulov.
Victoria Bortkevicha; Arthur Iliev; Timur Aitkulov
- Advising on a construction package relating to Novatek’s Arctic LNG 2 project.
- Advised a syndicate of Russian banks on a $487m loan facility for the construction of the first train of a coal trans-shipment terminal.
- Advised Russian Platinum on its joint venture agreement with another Russian mining and metals company, Norilsk Nickel, for the development of several fields.
At CMS, practice head Natalia Kozyrenko advises clients on a range of corporate and transactional issues arising in the energy sector. Kozyrenko focuses on upstream and downstream international oil and gas projects, and regularly acts for notable global and domestic players. The firm is also involved with reform work in the power sector.
Working closely with the London office, the Moscow-based team at Debevoise & Plimpton LLP handles a wide spectrum of complex transactions, including M&A deals, joint ventures, project financings and securities offerings, on behalf of some of the most prominent international natural resources corporations and investors. Managing partner Alan Kartashkin is the name to note for Russian metals and mining companies, and Alyona Kucher is the key contact for clients from the oil and gas sector. Natalia Drebezgina is also noted.
Alan Kartashkin; Alyona Kucher
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong market knowledge and legal expertise.’
‘A unique combination of practical knowledge and theory, the ability to think outside the box in difficult situations.’
‘Alyona Kucher is a professional of the highest standard with a wide range of practical knowledge and theory.’
‘Exceptional work quality and speed.’
Novolipetsk Steel (NLMK)
Independent Oil Company
Irkutsk Oil Company
- Advised Norilsk Nickel on the upsizing and extension of its syndicated facility agreement with a group of international banks from $2.5bn to $4.15bn.
- Advised N-Mining on the sale of a 100% stake in Third Mining Exploration Company to Kinross Gold Corporation.
- Advising TMK, a producer of tubular products for the oil and gas industry, on the repurchase of its ordinary shares by its subsidiary, Volzhsky Pipe Plant, and the prospective delisting of its GDRs from the London Stock Exchange.
The workload of the team at Dechert Russia LLC comprises instruction from prominent players in the mining sector, mandates concerning power generation and issues regarding sanctions affecting the energy and natural resources industries. With sanctions expert Laura Brank at the helm, the group is regularly called on to advise major international and domestic mining and metals corporates on US and EU-related sanctions matters.
- Advised Kinross Gold Corporation on the acquisition of Chulbatkan, a heap leach development project in Russia, from N-Mining for a total fixed consideration of $283m.
- Advised Sinopec on its joint venture development of the Amur Petrochemical Project with Sibur.
- Advising Mechel, a major mining and metals company, on a large-scale restructuring, concerning over $1bn in pre-export finance facilities and involving a large international syndicate of lenders.
Leveraging the expertise of a large team split between Moscow and St Petersburg, the offering at DLA Piper provides clients with the full range of transactional advice in all relevant sub-sectors, including electricity and power, mining and metals, oil and gas, pulp and paper. Feruz Fidaev leads the group, which also includes Leonid Kropotov and associate Maria Vinokurova.
Other key lawyers:
Leonid Kropotov; Maria Vinokurova
‘Prompt and qualified assistance. In a short time, substantiated answers to complex questions are provided, ways of solving non-standard tasks are proposed.’
‘Leonid Kropotov is a highly qualified lawyer. The combination of his academic knowledge and extensive experience makes his consultations unique. Maria Vinokurova is always ready to help, in touch around the clock, promptly provides advice on complex issues.’
‘Competence of specialists, access to a wide network of foreign jurisdictions. Customer focus and flexibility, willingness to meet halfway in terms of organisational issues, which is especially important given the bureaucracy of public sector companies.’
‘I would especially like to note Leonid Kropotov and Maria Vinokurova, it is always comfortable to communicate with them and effectively resolve the issues that have arisen.’
Allen & Overy Legal Services fields a capable cross-departmental team, which comprises specialists from a number of the firm's core practices. Anton Konnov and Bulat Zhambalnimbuev are jointly responsible for overseeing corporate and regulatory mandates, while Ilya Dvorkin focuses on work which intersects with the transport sector. Igor Gorchakov and Oleg Khomenko handle matters relating to the financing of energy and natural resources projects.
Anton Konnov; Igor Gorchakov; Bulat Zhambalnimbuev; Ilya Dvorkin; Oleg Khomenko
‘The Moscow team acted on a unique energy project in Russia. The team demonstrated a high level of proficiency and delivered advice which was absolutely pragmatic and detailed.’
‘The lawyers and partners impressed us with their strategic vision, efficiency, and client-oriented approach. The team was an excellent choice for the transaction, and proved its extensive experience .’
Highland Gold Mining Limited
INTER RAO UES
- Advised VTB Bank on a loan facility, governed by Russian law, to Chelyabinsk Metallurgical Plant, a member of the Mechel Group.
- Advised Highland Gold Mining on its sale of the Kayenmivaam licence for cash consideration of $15m plus a royalty.
- Advised VTB Bank on a loan facility to Fortiana Holdings, for the purposes of financing the acquisition from Roman Abramovich and certain other shareholders of a 40.06% stake in Highland Gold Mining and financing the mandatory offer for the remainder of the shares in Highland Gold Mining triggered by the initial acquisition of shares.
The offering at Ivanyan and Partners brings together a team of experts in corporate, finance, real estate and tax law. Structuring and implementing large-scale exploration, construction and production projects constitutes the majority of the firm's workload. The key names to note are Khristofor Ivanyan, M&A expert Maria Miroshnikova, counsel Yuri Arkhipov and newly promoted partner Daria Semenikhina.
Khristofor Ivanyan; Maria Miroshnikova
Other key lawyers:
Yuri Arkhipov; Daria Semenikhina
‘We implement large and non-standard projects, therefore we appreciate consultants who have extensive experience in the industry, understand the specifics of our business and work out each issue in detail. We love that these practitioners are able to deliver good results under tight deadlines. They work on projects with a small (relatively) team of qualified specialists – this makes it easier for us to interact effectively.’
‘We know Khristofor Ivanyan as a born negotiator. Maria Miroshnikova is a very experienced partner, she knows how to choose the right strategy in difficult situations. Yuri Arkhipov understands energy projects “from A to Z”, prepares high-quality documents at all stages of transactions. We also know Daria Semenikhina, who quickly detects possible financial risks and finds ways to minimize them.’
- Advised two major lenders, VEB.RF and Gazprombank, on a syndicated $220m loan to a leader on the Russian chemicals market for the construction of a new methanol plant.
- Advised the developer and operator of the port of Vanino in Russia’s Far East on attracting $538m worth of project finance from VEB.RF and VTB Bank.
The offering at Pepeliaev Group utilises its close links with the firm's tax practice to provide clients from the fuel, mining and energy sectors with transactional advice, focusing particularly on the tax implications. Managing partner Sergey Pepeliaev is known for representing clients before the State Arbitration Courts and the Supreme Court. Natalia Stenina is another key name.
Sergey Pepeliaev; Natalia Stenina
‘An integrated approach, prompt response to problem solving, always on time, reasonable prices.’
‘Natalia Stenina: super-prompt response to requests, clear organisation of work, always gives high-quality results on time.’
‘The high professionalism of Pepeliaev Group’s lawyers includes a high level of communication with clients, deep practical and academic knowledge in the field of law, the choice of the most effective algorithms for solving problems and protecting the interests of the client.’
‘Strengths include the speed of processing complex requests, proactive stance and ability to take into account the strategic interests of the client.’
‘Prompt feedback, clear questions, good time-management, detailed analysis and suggestions, good risk assessment.’
‘Basically we communicate with Natalia Stenina. The advantage for us is that she oversees the regulation of the oil and gas industry, ecology and real estate at Pepeliaev Group. She is a good lawyer with a wide range of industry knowledge. She also effectively accompanies projects in which several jurisdictions are involved.’
‘Our key contact person is Natalia Stenina. She mainly provides support on real estate and regulation of the oil and gas industry, but at the same time always demonstrates her deep involvement in projects that require legal support from lawyers from other branches of law. In working with our company, Natalia has established herself not only as a good lawyer with impressive experience in the oil and gas sector, but also as an excellent manager who organises the work of the team.’
‘Over the years of co-operation, we have had the opportunity to work with many lawyers from different practices of Pepeliaev Group, however, our key contact person in the firm is Natalia Stenina. She is a very experienced lawyer with excellent skills in solving complex problems, including in crisis situations. We also appreciate her managerial skills, which allow us to form the optimal team of lawyers to support the project at every stage of its implementation.’
Gazprom and its subsidiaries
Gazprom Zakupki PJSC
Kimkan and Sutara Ore Mining and Processing Plant LLC
Salym Petroleum Development N.V.
SOCAR Energoresource LLC
- Advising Gazprom Procurement on various matters arising under existing agreements and as part of ongoing projects.
- Advising major Russian oil and gas company Rosshelf on a variety of matters, including providing full-scale legal support in a court dispute between the client and its contractor.
- Assisted Zarubezhneft with the establishment of a joint venture with Gazpromneft.
Mandates concerning power generation projects make up the bulk of the workload at VEGAS LEX; counsel Yuriy Tatarinov is noted for his expertise in the power supply industry, and regularly advises on gas supply issues, including price setting. The team also assists with regulation matters and regularly acts in complicated dispute resolution cases. Managing partner Alexander Sitnikov and practice head Evgeniy Rodin oversee the work.
Alexander Sitnikov; Evgeniy Rodin
Other key lawyers:
‘I would like to note the deep expertise of the team, as well as their willingness to work effectively on the most complex and demanding projects. Thanks to a thoughtful and rational approach, the projects implemented by the team have a positive result. The firm has significant practical experience in legal support in the oil and gas sector and can provide comprehensive legal support.’
‘Alexander Sitnikov and Evgeniy Rodin are highly qualified specialists in the energy sector. Their experience and complex approaches to problem solving are especially noticeable when other teams fail. I would like to note that you can rely on these specialists, especially due to their professionalism and performance.’
Irkutsk Electric Grid Company
Gazprom Gazoraspredelinie Chelyabinsk
- Representing Mosenergo as a creditor in the bankruptcy of Orekhovo-Zuyevo Heating Station.
- Successfully defending the interests of EnergoAllianz in a dispute out of a contract for the supply of smart electric meters.
- Advising Fortum on corporate matters arising from the operations of its joint venture with Rusnano for the construction of wind farms in Russia.
Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners fields a dual offering; the energy team has a strong focus on the electrical energy and power sub-sector, while the environmental and technical regulations group advises on the use and protection of natural resources. Moscow-based Taras Rabko oversees both practices, supported by recently promoted counsel Sergey Ustalov and senior associate Anastasiya Boytsova. Ivan Smirnov is the key contact in St Petersburg.
Other key lawyers:
Ivan Smirnov; Sergey Ustalov; Anastasiya Boytsova
‘Diversified competencies of specialists, extensive experience gained in previous places of work.’
‘Anastasia Boytsova has deep knowledge of the work, extensive experience, the ability to create excellent conditions.’
Northern Capital Gateway Consortium (St. Petersburg Pulkovo Airport Management Company)
- Representing the Northern Capital Gateway Consortium, Pulkovo Airport’s management company, in a high-profile environmental dispute with state bodies.
The team at FBK Legal is known for its proficiency in advising on investment projects with a nexus to the oil and gas sector, focusing particularly on tax issues; the group is regularly instructed by both notable domestic majors and international companies. Nadezhda Orlova and Alexander Yalushkin are key contacts for construction work, and Alexander Ermolenko is noted for his expertise in M&A deals and joint ventures.
Nadezhda Orlova; Alexander Ermolenko; Alexander Yalushkin
‘The consultations provided by FBK Legal are always distinguished by their promptness, deep knowledge of the industry, and well-coordinated work of the entire team. The composition and professional level of the FBK Legal team makes it possible to be sure that any assigned task will be solved on time with minimal costs and excellent quality of expertise. The results of this work are very valuable for us, as they help to minimise the risks of significant financial losses in the implementation of certain projects.’
‘FBK Legal partner Alexander Ermolenko is the best. He is distinguished by deep understanding of the problem, the ability to think outside the box and, as a result, the ability to offer the best solution for the client.’
‘The strength of the FBK team is a comprehensive consideration of issues, extensive experience and clear regard for deadlines.’
Gazprom and its subsidiaries
Rosatom and its subsidiaries
Transneft and subsidiaries
Harbin Electric Corporation
Alrosa and its subsidiaries
Central Geological Company
- Assisting Gazprom Invest with the construction of an ice-resistant oil platform as part of a large-scale EPC contract.
- Assisting Gazprombank with extensive due diligence matters involving detailed checks of two large companies providing services in the power-plant engineering and metallurgy sectors.
- Representing investment company A-Property in a number of cases regarding $200m debt recovery from a fuel-and-energy company and bankruptcy proceedings.
At Latham & Watkins LLP, corporate specialist Alexander Gomonov advises domestic and international clients on a variety of complex cross-border acquisitions, disposals, and joint ventures, with a particular focus on the oil and gas and mining sectors. Gomonov also assists with regulatory, compliance and general commercial issues.
A particular focus on disputes arising in the oil and gas, energy and mining sectors distinguishes the offering at Monastyrsky, Zyuba, Stepanov & Partners. Away from contentious work, the firm also advises on issues relating to the acquisition of energy and mining assets. Alexander Zyuba and Dmitry Lovyrev are the key names to note.
Alexander Zyuba; Dmitry Lovyrev
‘Strong experience in disputes.’
Dulisma Oil Company
Kaum Neft (Exillon Energy group)
- Advising A-Property, a Russian investment group, on its acquisition of Yatek, the leading oil and gas producer in Yakutia.
- Advising Ruspetro on a number of day-to-day issues, including regulatory and licensing matters relevant to the oil industry, as well as representing the client in a number of disputes.
- Representing Transneft in a number of disputes, including ones with the Federal Antimonopoly Service regarding regulated procurement policies and contracts.
PwC Legal (PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal)
Advising on the strategic, tax and financial aspects of projects is a key focus for the team at PwC Legal (PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal). Team lead Vladimir Sokolov has significant experience of mandates involving the construction of pipelines and other energy infrastructure facilities, and frequently assists with the structuring of operational activities in the oil and gas sector.
‘Good understanding of industry specifics. Customer focus. Ability to provide high-quality results quickly.’
‘Extensive experience, knowledge of specialists, ability to work under tight deadlines, availability for the client at any time.’
‘Knowledge of the practice area and the client’s company, constant monitoring of the new information concerning the practice area.’
‘The entire team of lawyers showed themselves in a positive way. The work was done with high quality in the shortest possible time.’
‘Vladimir Sokolov – 24/7 availability, high qualifications, ability to work in a team with the client, result-oriented.’
‘Deep knowledge of the specifics of the market ; focus on providing practical solutions; clear and competent presentation of work results; quality results and attention to detail.’
Sakhalin Energy Investment Company
Kazakhstan state energy company (Kazmunaygaz)
Gazprom Pererabotka Blagoveshchensk
Inter RAO UES
Federal Grid Company of Unified Energy System (FGC UES)
Mnogofunkcionalniy Gruzovoy Rayon
South Stream Transport B.V.
Egesa Energy Group
Mezhotraslevoy Innovacionniy Komplex
- Advised the Kazakhstan state energy company on the implementation of a project worth more than $5bn in the Caspian Sea, which will be implemented under a production sharing agreement.
- Advised South Stream Transport, the company responsible for the operation of the TurkStream Offshore Pipeline through the Black Sea, on various legal matters related to the implementation of the Turkish Stream project.
- Advised Inter RAO on the proposed acquisition of a privately-owned electric power company.
Rodin & Partners handles both contentious and non-contentious matters related to conventional, renewable and nuclear energy projects. International and domestic clients instruct Artem Rodin to advise them on the design, construction and operation of petrochemical and power plants. Timur Djabbarov is the name to note for dispute resolution. The team recently benefitted from the arrival of senior associate Mikhail Kharabrin, who was formerly in-house counsel at EVN.
Other key lawyers:
Mikhail Kharabrin; Timur Djabbarov
Hitachi Zosen Inova AG
Russian Direct Investment Fund
- Advising Hitachi Zosen Inova on a major project which concerns the construction of five new plants which convert waste to energy.
- Representing Chubb before Russian and English courts and in ICC Arbitration in a damage recovery claim against the design and construction companies involved in the construction of the Berezovskaya power plant, which was destroyed by a fire accident several months after its commissioning.
- Advising Urbaser on the construction of eight plants which convert waste to energy in Kazakhstan.