Competition in Russia
ALRUD Law Firm acts for leading domestic and international clients on the full scope of contentious and non-contentious competition law issues. The department is noted for its recent work on high-value merger control issues and complex competition litigation. Team co-head Vassily Rudomino is praised for his extensive experience in enforcement matters, and the wider team has strength in the regulatory space, where it benefits from the experience of co-head German Zakharov at the Federal Antimonopoly Service (FAS). Associate Roman Vedernikov works alongside Zakharov and is recommended for compliance work, while co-head Sergey Petrachkov is a key contact for contentious matters. As a new arrival from the FAS, Daniil Lozovsky handles cartel-related matters.
‘The firm is responsive and understands the specifics of the US and the European deal mechanisms.‘
‘Alrud is very well-connected and efficiently helps a client navigate through the complex Russian regulatory environment.‘
‘Alrud has a great competition law team with a helpful “best friends” network. Its webinars are also useful to clients.‘
‘Effective in managing clients’ expectations, Vassily Rudomino is immensely experienced and has good contacts.‘
‘German Zhakarov and associate Roman Vedernikov are effective in handling merger clearances.‘
‘German Zakharov is very pragmatic and solution-oriented.‘
Uber Technologies Inc.
AGC Glass Europe SA
Armstrong World Industries
Nabors Industries Ltd.
Tata Steel Ltd.
Ergo Insurance JSC
Gardner Denver Holdings, Inc.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner (Russia) LLP fields a dedicated antitrust and competition department, which is headed up by Nikolay Voznesenskiy, who is ‘experienced and well-known in the market’. Notably, the team leverages the expertise of the firm’s capabilities worldwide and works closely with the London and Brussels offices. The practice of Vitaly Dianov focuses on contentious matters including cases alleging abuse of dominance, as well as cartel investigations and dawn raids. Recently promoted counsel Alexander Muravin handles abuse of dominance work, cartels and vertical agreements. Clients also single out counsel Andrey Neminuschiy.
‘Quick, pragmatic and high-quality legal services‘
‘The team has excellent expertise and in-depth knowledge of all aspects of competition law-related matters.‘
‘Nikolay Voznesenskiy is a professional who maintains the highest standards in his work; Nikolay is able to quickly identify an issue and to offer an effective solution thereto.‘
‘Nikolay Voznesensky and counsel Andrey Neminushy are the best in the antitrust field. They have efficiently handled matters for me in different jurisdictions over the past 12 years.‘
‘Andrey Neminuschiy is a strong expert with solid knowledge of competition law. He has excellent analytical skills and is very diligent and detail-oriented.‘
‘Vitaly Dianov has excellent leadership and trial skills. We can trust him to handle any complex, challenging competition case. He is very strategic and relentless in pursuing the client’s best interests and maintaining the highest ethical standards.‘
‘Senior associate Alexander Muravin is client-oriented and stands out for the depth of his knowledge of the legislation and its application.‘
United Metallurgical Company
John Deere Agricultural Holdings
MasterCard Members’ Association
Federal Freight Company
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories
- Represented the Federal Freight Company in a case alleging excessive pricing.
- Assisted Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Russia with complex compliance issues.
- Acted for United Metallurgical Company in FAS proceedings concerning the excessive pricing of railway wheels.
Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners has a substantial, full-service competition practice, which is led by ‘merger control star’ Natalia Korosteleva. Alongside its strong track record in obtaining merger clearances and providing compliance advice, the team is also well versed in competition litigation, which is a key area of expertise for seasoned practitioner Anna Numerova. Recently promoted partner Evgeny Bolshakov, counsel Maria Kobanenko and senior associate Elena Kazak are also noted. Senior associate Anna Arutyunyan joined from Antitrust Advisory in 2019.
‘The practice has a strength in breadth and depth, and lawyers are also very well-connected.‘
‘Senior associate Elana Kazak has been very helpful in our last deals; she is very responsive and adopts a hands-on approach to handling issues.’
- Assisted Beluga Group with matters concerning an antitrust investigation initiated against one of the client’s main competitors.
- Represented R-Pharm International in a series of landmark cases relating to collusion at tenders.
- Assisted investment company Rhône Capital with issues regarding the global acquisition of 45% of chemical company Maxam.
Antitrust Advisory focuses on competition law work and assists its growing client base with high-value merger control issues. Led by practice co-heads Alexander Egorushkin, Evgeny Khokhlov and Igor Panshensky, the boutique also benefits from its strong relationship with the Federal Antimonopoly Service, and fields an in-house economist, who assists with issues involving in-depth market analysis. Senior associate Anna Arutyunyan departed to Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners in 2019.
Coca-Cola Hellenic Bottling Company
Procter & Gamble
- Advised Bristol-Myers Squibb on the Russian merger clearance of its global acquisition of Celgene.
- Advised Travelport on the Russian competition and regulatory aspects of its acquisition by Siris Capital Group.
- Advised Tenneco on the Russian competition and regulatory aspects of its acquisition of Federal-Mogul.
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited handles contentious and non-contentious work across a wide range of sectors including the healthcare, automotive, technology, fast-moving consumer goods and natural resources industries. Department leader Anton Subbot has a solid reputation in competition litigation, dawn raids and public procurement proceedings. Recently promoted partner Nadia Goreslavskaya takes the lead on transactional work particularly relating to multi-jurisdictional merger clearances and joint venture filings.
‘The team has wide-ranging experience in enforcement matters. Its advice is always tailored to the situation, as lawyers make sure to deepen their understanding of the background of the issue.‘
‘The competition department stands out due to the depth of its expertise, as well as due to the high level of pragmatism with which it approaches its clients’ issues.‘
‘Anton Subbot is very experienced and supports us efficiently in our decision-making.‘
- Acted for Camso on the competition law aspects of its $1.7bn sale to Michelin.
- Advised LVMH on competition law aspects of its $3.2bn acquisition of luxury travel and hospitality company Belmond.
- Acted for Brookfield Business Partners on its $13.2bn acquisition of Johnson Controls’ power solutions business.
Led by Torsten Syrbe, Clifford Chance sits as part of the firm’s global antitrust group and handles a wide range of matters including high-profile merger clearances, general antitrust advice and investigations regarding cartels and abuse of dominance issues. The practice also has strength in the pharmaceuticals and life sciences sectors. Senior associate Olga Mizikova is a specialist in merger control and public procurement matters. Sardaana Nogovitsyna departed to an in-house position in 2019.
Emirates NBD Bank PJSC
- Advised Monsanto on the Russian regulatory approvals concerning its merger with German chemical company Bayer.
- Advising DP World on its acquisition of Topaz Energy and Marine.
- Advised Emirates NBD Bank on its acquisition of a majority stake in DenizBank, the Turkish subsidiary of Sberbank of Russia.
Dentons’ competition department is led by ‘competition superstar’ Marat Mouradov and handles contentious and non-contentious work, with particular strength in antitrust investigations, dawn raids and competition litigation. The group also works in close cooperation with the competition practice in Brussels. Edward Borovikov and recently promoted counsel Valeria Ponomareva are key advisers on matters involving foreign investments and trade policy; Borovikov splits his time between Moscow and Brussels. Of counsel Radmila Nikitina's expertise in the pharmaceuticals sector also stands out.
‘A well-balanced team with a strong leader, experienced counsels and motivated senior associates. The sharing of knowledge and expertise from the huge network of offices across the world certainly adds points.‘
‘Marat Mouradov is a charismatic leader with a perfect knowledge of practical solutions and approaches.‘
‘Valeria Ponamoreva is very good in analytical work.‘
- Secured a win for Corning in an anti-dumping investigation initiated by the Eurasian Economic Commission.
- Assisted Gazprom Group with an EU antitrust investigation into upstream gas supplies to Central and Eastern Europe.
- Representing Gazprom Group as a third party intervening in a direct challenge to a decision of the EU Commission before the General Court.
The competition and antitrust department at White & Case LLC excels in complex merger control filings, and cases arising out of alleged abuses of dominance. The team has extensive experience across a wide range of sectors including the oil and gas, technology, manufacturing, financial services and mining industries. Igor Ostapets heads up the department, where senior associate Ksenia Tyunik is also noted.
‘White & Case’s competition law team has the following competitive advantages: deep knowledge of competition law, coupled with extensive practice; an ability to provide solid and straightforward advice; and experience in navigating the complex Russian antitrust landscape.‘
- Advising Saudi Aramco on the competition law aspects of its $69bn acquisition of a 70% stake in Sabic, a leading petrochemicals firm worldwide.
- Advised Luxoft Holding on the competition law aspects of the $2bn all-cash acquisition of its business by DXC Technology.
- Advised Federal-Mogul on the competition law aspects of its $5.4bn sale to Tenneco.
ART DE LEX Law Firm
ART DE LEX Law Firm traditionally focuses on competition litigation. Led by Yaroslav Kulik, the team defends high-profile clients in criminal investigations and proceedings, and challenges acts issued by the regulator. The department has also experienced an increase in instructions from clients in the metallurgy, healthcare, pharmaceuticals and manufacturing sectors. Advocates Anna Bolshakova and Kirill Dozmarov are also key names to note. Irina Akimova departed to BGP Litigation in 2019.
AEON Corporation LLC
Magnitogorsk Iron & Steel Works PJSC
Global Ports Group
National Computer Corporation Group
New Forwarding Company JSC
Karacharovsky Machinery Factory LLC
RU KMZ LLC
Ramensky Confectionary Factory LLC
Gazprom StroyTEK Salavat LLC
NRC TechnoProgress JSC
Far East Development Corporation JSC
GMK KIL LLC
AT Consulting LLC
AT Service LLC
Double Medical LLC
PKF Siblift OJSC
Mercedes-Benz Bank Rus LLC
Insurance Company Sberbank Insurance LLC
Stroytransgaz Neftegazmontazh LLC
Trodat Trotec Group
- Defended Energoprom Group in a high-profile case alleging abuse of dominance in the metallurgy market.
- Defended Global Ports Group against price-fixing claims alleged by the FAS.
- Acted for Production Company Aquarius in the appeal of a cartel-related decision issued by the FAS.
CMS focuses on merger clearance issues, general competition law and competition compliance work. Beyond its expertise in domestic competition law, the team also handles issues arising under the EU competition law regime. Department head Maxim Boulba and senior associate Elena Andrianova are the key contacts.
‘The competition law practice at CMS Moscow is excellent overall. We only recently started using the team’s services, but were positively surprised with the outcome and the process. Team members are highly knowledgeable in their field and deliver well-reasoned responses.‘
‘Practice head Maxim Boulba is our key contact. Maxim has been a pleasure to work with and was highly efficient in solving an unexpected issue that emerged in the context of our M&A deal.‘
Advance Publications Group
Dufry International AG
- Advised Hasbro Russia on an issue regarding unfair competition.
- Advised Rasmussengruppen, GC Rieber Shipping and Schlumberger Norge on the $650m cross-border acquisition of WesternGeco.
- Advising Advance Publications Group on the competition law aspects of its acquisition of Stage Entertainment.
FBK Legal‘s antitrust practice acts for clients in contentious issues, particularly disputes against the Federal Antimonopoly Service. The department has also experienced an increase in instructions concerning cartel-related issues, anti-competitive agreements and vertical agreements. Alexander Ermolenko and Sergey Ermolenko jointly head up the practice, which is well versed in the fisheries, financial services, energy, oil and gas and technology sectors.
‘The team stands out due to its innovative and professional strategy in solving uncommon legal issues.‘
‘Sergey Ermolenko is a great lawyer with longstanding experience and client-oriented approach.‘
Yamaha Motor CIS
Russian Fishery Company
Marie Brizard Wine & Spirits
- Acting for Russian Fishery Company in a foreign investment dispute.
- Acted for GreenAgro-Sakhalin in a dispute with the regulator concerning charges of collusion with the Sakhalin government.
- Advised Sodecia on the acquisition of a $11m stake in tyres manufacturer Matador.
KIAP (Korelskiy, Ischuk, Astafiev and Partners, Attorneys at Law)’s practice stands out for contentious antitrust issues, and the team is also strong in providing competition compliance advice. Practice head Ilya Ischuk and senior associate Julia Kirpikova are key figures in the team, who have notable sector-specific expertise in the financial services, energy, retail and manufacturing industries.
‘A rare mix of professionalism, intellect, and a thorough understanding of the industry‘
‘We value the team’s timely responses and well-considered legal advice. Back-office support is also wonderful.‘
‘Practice head Ilya Ischuk is truly a master of competition law. He is always up-to-date with all the forthcoming changes in legislation, and suggests correct and customized business solutions perfectly suitable to our business.‘
‘Senior associate Julia Kirpikova is very responsible and easy-going.‘
- Assisting leading beer producer Lidskoe Pivo with filing an unfair competition complaint to the FAS against a competitor.
- Representing Mosregionlift in an appeal to the FAS regarding cartel-related claims brought by a competitor.
- Assisted coffee supplier Paulig with bringing an unfair competition complaint to the FAS in relation to trade dress imitation.
The ‘extremely competent’ Elena Sokolovskaya leads the antitrust practice at Pepeliaev Group, which is active in the energy and natural resources, pharmaceuticals, TMT and retail sectors. The department assists clients with a wide array of matters involving the Federal Antimonopoly Service including investigations, merger clearances and public procurement issues. Other areas of focus for the team include regulatory advice concerning foreign investment issues and due diligence. Senior associate Olga Protchenko is also noted.
‘Our cooperation with Pepeliaev Group’s antitrust team only started a year ago, but within this relatively short period of time, the lawyers have shown a high level of professionalism and a great ability to work as a team. The advice provided was always perfectly precise and reflected the latest trends in Russian legislation. It is also quite remarkable that the team carries out an educational role, providing clients with analytical articles on antitrust and other issues that fall within the competence of the Federal Antimonopoly Service (FAS) and the Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC).‘
‘Elena Sokolovskaya is impressive. Our case was complex due to the lack of an applicable precedent, but Elena put in an outstanding performance; this was only possible due to her unique experience, her deep knowledge, and her familiarity with the inner workings at the FAS.‘
Evison Holdings Limited
Procter & Gamble
VEGAS LEX assists with complex anti-monopoly cases, general regulatory advice and competition compliance issues. Managing partner Alexander Sitnikov heads up the practice, which regularly works in conjunction with the energy and technology departments. Senior associate Anastasia Cheredova is also noted.
‘Deep understanding of the business needs of the client, coupled with practical advice and strong client orientation.’
DLA Piper assists with antitrust investigations, compliance policy issues, contractual arrangements, merger control work and unfair competition matters. Senior associate Azamat Abdulmenov heads up the practice in Moscow, while senior associate Ilya Bulgakov and legal director Roman Golovatsky are the key contacts in St. Petersburg.
- Advising Gett on issues relating to antitrust compliance, unfair competition, and advertising matters.
- Advised Michelin on the competition law aspects of its acquisition of Camso.
- Assisted Savencia Fromage & Dairy with obtaining merger clearance for its acquisition of a majority stake in Belebey.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
The antitrust department at Infralex provides complex competition compliance advice and handles issues relating to foreign investment and public procurement matters. Arthur Rokhlin and Elena Kuznetsova jointly head up the practice, which also acts for clients in contentious competition law issues. The team's sector expertise spans the energy, transport, financial services, education and sports industries.
‘A team of highly competent lawyers who know their area of specialisation in remarkable depth‘
‘Arthur Rokhlin and Elena Kuznetsova are both strategic and careful in focussing on the key interests of their clients.‘
Federal Institute of Academic Assessments
RD Property Holdings Sàrl
FBO “RC FRT”
- Assisting Ararta with merger clearance advice relating to multiple transactions reviewed by the FAS.
- Assisting RD Property Holdings Sàrl with the competition law aspects of multiple transactions.
- Assisted oil and gas producer CNOOC with the competition law aspects of its $2.6bn acquisition of a stake in the strategic project for liquefied natural gas production, Arctic LNG 2.
Kamenskaya & Partners Law Firm
Kamenskaya & Partners Law Firm’s competition department is jointly headed up by Tatiana Kamenskaya, Ilya Tyulenev and Ilya Kozhevnikov. The team is well versed in regulatory advice – an area where it leverages its strong relationship with the Federal Antimonopoly Service of Russia. The practice also handles a steady work stream of complex antitrust disputes and negotiations, and has niche strength in advising clients on the intersection of competition and IP law.
‘Kamenskaya & Partners provides high-quality advice. The lawyers are very responsive and always answer right away, even when on vacation. They understand the urgency of issues and come up with creative and effective solutions.‘
‘This is a strong team which is focused on bringing positive results. The firm has a long-term vision and enjoys a stable reputation in anti-monopoly dealings.‘
‘The team is highly qualified, experienced, responsible and attentive.‘
‘Tatiana Kamenskaya is a strong lawyer, whose experience shines through when she is in charge of a case.‘
‘Tatiana Kamenskaya is a strong expert in competition law. She is very attentive to our needs and is always ready to help with advice. She is highly regarded and delivers high-quality results without fail.‘
‘Ilya Tyulenev is a great specialist. He offers creative practical solutions – you feel that your issues are in the hands of a real expert.‘
CJSC S7 Group
Mining Technology Sim
- Assisting Nizhnekamskneftekhim with its challenge to a decision by the FAS affirming its abuse of dominance.
- Defending Elox Prom against claims that it has illegally used know-how for the purpose of selling goods.
- Advising Rosvodokanal on anti-monopoly risks associated with certain corporate transactions.
Muranov, Chernyakov & Partners’ competition department provides contentious and non-contentious advice on the regulation of unfair competition and advertising law issues. Oleg Moskvitin heads up the practice and focuses on competition litigation.
PJSC FGC UES
PJSC IDGC of Siberia
JSC Podolsk Electrical Assembly Products Plant
- Acting for PJSC Moesk in a case seeking the invalidation of actions of the Department of Economic Policy and Development of Moscow.
- Acting for JSC Podolsk Electrical Assembly Products Plant in challenging a decision by the FAS concerning an allegedly illegal use of trade secrets by the client.
- Acting for LLC HeadHunter in challenging a decision by the FAS concerning the client’s advertising practices.
Clients praise Noerr’s work in the merger clearance space, and, beyond its strong focus on handling high-value merger filings, the team is also regularly instructed on matters concerning strategic investments, supply and distribution matters, unfair competition work and competition compliance issues. Stefan Weber heads up the practice, where senior associates Artem Kara and Tatiana Dovgan are also noteworthy figures.
‘We regularly use Noerr in the context of merger notifications. The practice is unique as it closely collaborates with its German counterpart, which is why we receive a very good seamless advice.‘
‘The team is very thorough, took all our interests into consideration, and ensured that the process was properly resourced and went smoothly.‘
‘The team provides excellent advice under short deadlines. Multiple team members followed up on our merger clearance process; they all provided solid advice regarding how to ensure that the deal went through.‘
‘Stefan Weber is quick and practical in his advice. He is also available, even during his holidays, to assist us with a complex matter.‘
- Successfully represented a subsidiary of Tatneft in proceedings before the FAS involving market dominance issues.
- Advised a US investment firm on matters relating to Russian merger control laws and strategic investment filings.