Oil and gas in Peru
Barrios & Fuentes, Abogados
Barrios & Fuentes, Abogados has a respected and in-demand practice, following over 50 years' focus on the legal and commercial issues facing the hydrocarbon industry. Its diverse practice includes assisting oil and gas companies on everything from listings on the international capital markets and negotiating power purchase agreements, through to environmental and tax advice. Germán Barrios heads the practice and is an expert in the field. He led advice to PetroTal Peru on its oil sales agreement with state-owned Petroperu, for oil production from the Bretaña oil field in the Peruvian jungle. Other key members of the team are partner Renzo Roberti Vidal and associate Liliana Callirgos. Karoon Energy is a key client of the firm.
Sociedad Agrícola Caynarachi
Cimentaciones Prefabricadas Terratest
Sociedad Peruana de Hidrocarburos SPH (Peruvian Hydrocarbon Society)
- Acted for PetroTal Peru on its oil sales agreement with Petroperu, the state-owned company, for oil production from the Bretaña oil field located in Peruvian Amazonia.
- Advised Karoon Energy in the assignment agreement of a 35% interest to Tullow Oil in connection with the offshore Block Z-38.
- Assisted Sociedad Agrícola Caynarachi, part of the Virú Group with obtaining the environmental authorisations necessary to enlarge a project in the Peruvian jungle.
- Acting for Cimentaciones Prefabricadas Terratest Perú in respect of environmental matters related to the development of the Talara Refinery project.
An elite client list at CMS Grau is testament to the calibre of practice at the firm, which is a market leader globally as well as domestically in the hydrocarbons sphere. The firm acts for a number of industry giants, such as Enagás Internacional, BP Exploration Operating Company and Shell Operaciones Perú, on a wide range of contractual, regulatory and dispute resolution matters along the entire production and commercialisation chain. Carlos Hamann is an 'an excellent professional with vast experience in the sector’ who brings operational, technical, commercial and financial knowledge to his legal advice. He heads the practice alongside Augusto Astorga, who is also very experienced in both the oil and natural gas sectors, while a large pool of associates include Jesús Abanto, who has 13 years' experience in the field.
‘They are very collaborative within the firm in various areas of practice. They communicate well and do not over bill the client.’
‘Carlos Hamann is an excellent lawyer who genuinely cares about his clients’ projects and works diligently to be strategic and forthright in all manners for the client.’
‘Their strong point is the quality of the professionals and their availability. Compares favourably for experience in regulatory affairs.’
‘We are convinced that the dedication, experience and teamwork of the firm was reflected in the expected result.’
‘Their strengths are their aptitude to serve the client, the capacity to analyse the proposed case and the multitude of options that it offers in a relatively short time. Our contact within the firm is Carlos Hamann, an excellent professional with vast experience in the sector, attentive to the needs and concerns of the client. We have also had the opportunity to work with Ramón Huapaya who is a great academic with many years of experience. The firm offers various alternative solutions and/or strategies to resolve the issue raised in accordance with the interests of the client, giving greater confidence to our company.’
BP Exploration Operating Company
Petróleos del Perú – Petroperú
Schlumberger del Perú
Baker Hughes International Operations
Pluspetrol Perú Corporation
Shell Operaciones Perú
Peru LNG (Hunt Oil)
Transportadora de Gas del Perú
Repsol – Refinería la Pampilla
International Naval Surveys Bureau
Graña y Montero Petrolera – GMP
- Advising Spanish natural gas transmission company, Enagás, on all its investments in Peru, in particular the recovery of its investments in the insolvent Gasoducto Sur Peruano (GSP) project.
- Advising Tullow Oil/Tullow Peru on four off-shore license contracts with State hydrocarbon agency, Perupetro, for the exploration and exploitation of hydrocarbons. Authorisation for the licenses was abrogated until a new legislation on local participation was passed in February 2019.
- Acting for Petroperu in its negotiation with Perupetro regarding the on-shore exploitation contract of Block 192, Peru’s highest oil-producing block. The contract is still pending government approval.
- Representing Graña y Montero Petrolera (GMP) on the planning for an increase in the commercial exploitation of natural gas from Block IV. The firm is also advising GMP in a Block III boundary-dispute with Perupetro.
A stellar client list at Rodrigo, Elías & Medrano – Abogados includes dominant players from both the oil and gas industries, such as Shell Operaciones Peru, ExxonMobil and Promigas. It excels in all areas of regulatory, contract, financing, projects and disputes work, most notably assisting Gases del Norte del Peru (GASNORP) in winning the concession for the distribution of natural gas (by pipeline) in the Piura Region following a six-year, litigious battle with the State. A large team of twelve advisers is led by leading figure Jorge Pérez-Taiman, who is highlighted for his international experience; Jenny Caldas, who is particularly strong in the environmental and regulatory aspects of the hydrocarbons industry; and top-ranked corporate and finance lawyer Jean Paul Chabaneix, who is recommended for upstream activities. The junior bench includes senior associates Carolina Noriega, who focuses on downstream issues; and Eduardo Ramos, formerly of OSINERGMIN and Petroperu.
‘The firm is unique because they always behave as strategic partners to our company. They are not only legal consultants but business advisers.’
‘Jorge Pérez-Taiman, Carolina Noriega and Piero Scarafone are recommended. They are highly trained attorneys who not only answer legal questions, they always go beyond it, understand the business and share in the transaction until it is completed. Their availability is absolute, their friendliness is incredible.’
Shell Operaciones Peru
Gases del Pacífico – Quavii
Gases del Norte del Peru
Gas Comprimido del Peru
China National Petroleum Company
Pegasus Capital Advisors
- Acting for Gases del Norte del Peru regarding its concession for the distribution of natural gas by pipeline in the Piura Region, in northern Peru; obtained following a six-year battle with the State, includng litigation. Value of project: $230m.
- Advising Stenna Drilling on the regulatory aspects of its planned project to drill offshore wells in northern Peru for Karoon/Tullow oil – the first deep-water drilling in the country.
- Advising Shell Operaciones Peru on the expansion of its commercialisation of LNG by vessels/trucks across Peru and the eventual construction of a second truck-loading unit at Peru LNG plant. Value: $400m.
- Acting for Savia on the design of a comprehensive strategy for the abandonment of its activities in Pervian offshore Block Z-2B.
Specialist oil-and-gas boutique Estudio Gálvez Abogados reincorporated as Vizquerra Córdova & Gálvez Abodados in Spring 2020, following the retirement of leading hydrocarbons lawyer Francisco Gálvez in December 2019. Clients rate the team, led by Carlos Raul Vizquerra and Luis Córdova, as 'the best lawyers specialised in the hydrocarbon sector in Peru’, recommending them for their 'professionalism, ability to generate solutions and good attitude.' In particular, clients like the firm's 'lean staffing’ of matters which means the partners are 'very hands on’. While excelling in the regulatory and legislative aspects of the industry, the firm's offering also includes legal support in areas such as tax, labour law and litigation.
‘A small boutique knowledgeable in energy matters in Peru. The partners are very hands on as there is lean staffing. Luis Córdova is responsive, professional, easy to work with and offers practical advice.’
‘They stand out for their good knowledge and handling of Peru’s hydrocarbon legislation and for their handling of contractual matters with the state-run company PeruPetro. Apart from their legal knowledge, they stand out for their proactivity and willingness to anticipate and meet customer needs.’
‘The law firm has the best lawyers specialised in the hydrocarbon sector in Peru. It is characterised by providing prompt and focused advice on issues in this area with great analytical skills. The lawyers of the firm know our company very well and offer us advice according to our needs.’
‘The firm is characterised by personalised advice from its main staff. Unlike other firms, they quickly understand the customer’s business and needs. Carlos Raul Vizquerra and Luis Córdova are both proactive, resourceful and trustworthy attorneys. They combine with the company team to advise on the most complex situations.’
‘The hydrocarbon team at Vizquerra Córdova & Gálvez Abodados is excellent. They are highly recommended people for their professionalism, ability to generate solutions and their good attitude. The team has personalities that stand out, but the work they do collectively makes their qualities stronger and, as a result, the service they provide stands out.’
‘Carlos Raul Vizquerra and Luis Córdova are people who attend directly to queries and this guarantees top-level work. Both are fully involved with the advice they provide and are aware of every detail that the client requires.’
‘The strength of this firm lies in a quick and efficient response to the needs of its clients, in addition to the involvement of its partners in these matters.’
‘Luis Córdova is directly involved in solving the problems for which he is consulted. He is accurate and always takes into account the logic of our business in his proposals, which he understands very well.’
Anadarko Petroleum Corporation
Gold Oil (Peru)
Hunt Oil Company (Peru)
Maurel et Prom (Peru)
SK Innovation (Peru)
Sonatrach Perú Corporation
- Represented Hunt Oil Company in its negotiation with Perupetro regarding the amendment of three Technical Evaluation Agreements and two license contracts for exploration locations in the Peruvian jungle.
- Advising Peru LNG in the drafting and negotiation of a new LNG tolling agreement with Shell GNL Peru, in order to increase the capacity for the delivery of LNG by truck.
- Advised Sonatrach Perú Corporation in the evaluation of its options under existing agreements to acquire an additional participating interest in Camisea Consortium, involving a potential transfer of Camisea Consortium’s participating interests in Block 88 and Block 56.
- Advising a Latin American oil and gas company in a potential cross-border acquisiton of a Canadian oil and gas exploration company.
Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International
Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International has 'extensive knowledge of the hydrocarbons sector and the operation of the entities linked to this activity, both in Peru and abroad.’ It draws together leading individuals from across the office, including public law guru Jorge Danós and disputes co-head, energy and projects all-rounder Maria del Carmen Tovar, to advise on a broad spectrum of matters, from concessions and exploration contracts, to disputes and administrative proceedings. Other key advisers include: head of natural resources Valentin Paniagua Jara, who co-leads this practice alongside Danós; electricity partner Inés Vázquez, who's specialism has obvious overlap with the hydrocarbon field; and associate Gino Garamendi, who has growing specialisation in oil and gas regulatory and commercial matters. Experienced associate Natalia Zúñiga left the firm in August 2019 to study abroad.
‘The team is made up of professionals who know the sector very well and also have more than enough experience to meet and understand the requirements of their clients. Without a doubt, it is at the level of the best law firms in Peru, clearly well above some others as well.’
‘The strengths that differentiate the team at Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International are the closeness they have with their clients and the follow-up they do with respect to the topics consulted. They do not wait for the client to be the one who uses them, but they are the ones who contact us to ask how the issue is doing, if we need additional support and that they are available for whatever we require. I highlight Inés Vázquez and Gino Garamendi.’
‘The team displays extensive knowledge of the hydrocarbons sector and the operation of the entities linked to this activity, both in Peru and abroad. They also maintain a level of attention to international standards. The team is specialised compared to those at other firms.’
‘The professionals are respected at a personal, academic and professional level by government entities. Among their qualities are expert knowledge of the sector, the functioning of the entities involved in the hydrocarbons and natural resources sector, and the outstanding partners and associates with whom we have been able to work with. They are: Jorge Danós, Gino Garamendi and Natalia Zúñiga.’
Corporación Financiera de Desarrollo – COFIDE
Valero Energy Corporation
Petroleum Geo-Services (PGS)
Gas Natural de Lima y Callao (Cálidda)
Silverpeak Strategic Partners
Petrobras de Valores Internacional de España
Woodside Energy (Peru)
- Advising State-owned company Perupetro on the terminaton of licence agreements with Maple concerning Blocks 31-B/D and 31-C.
- Acting for Gas Natural de Lima y Callao (Cálidda) – the main gas utility operator in Peru and concessionaire of the project to design, build and operate the public service to distribute natural gas between Lima and Callao – in allegations by OSINERGMIN that it has breached its investment plan. Potential fine up to $40m.
- Advising Valero Energy Corporation, an international manufacturer of transportation fuels and petrochemical products, on regulatory issues, as well as support in tax and corporate matters.
LQG Energy & Mining Consulting
The rebranded LQG Energy & Mining Consulting (formerly Laub & Quijandria Energy Group) draws together legal, engineering, economic and environmental consultancies under one umbrella to advise the hydrocarbon industry on major projects. On the legal side, Carlos Gomero and Anthony Laub are the key advisers, and have previously held posts at the Ministry of Energy and Mines, among other high-profile public sector roles. The firm handles a broad array of regulatory and administrative procedures and arbitrations for domestic and international oil and gas companies, as well as project strategy and management, financing, issues related to social and land rights and contract negotiation.
Miranda & Amado
Miranda & Amado acts for an impressive array of upstream and downstream clients, excelling in major projects in the industry. In particular, clients highlight the creative and innovative solutions brought to the table, as well as strong regulatory expertise and 'intimate knowledge’ of the industry. The 'young, fresh team’ includes mining, energy and projects lawyer Guillermo Bracamonte who is a 'plus that would not be easy to replace’. The practice is led by experienced duo Luis Marcelo De-Bernardis, who is leading advice to Gas Natural Fenosa on its $60m concession for the expansion of natural gas services nationwide; and Alberto Delgado, who brings additional environmental law expertise to the practice.
‘Their personal treatment and intimate knowledge of not only Peruvian law but the specific industry in which they work for each project, is critical to success in each case.’
‘In our case, the knowledge of the extractive industry that Guillermo Bracamonte has brought to the table and the creativity with which he has participated in critical recommendations for our business in Peru has been a plus that would not be easy to replace.’
‘We are constantly updated with the latest regulatory developments in the sector and new practices that will make it possible to take better and better advantage of our company’s resources. They demonstrate creativity in proposing solutions and/or alternatives to the issues raised by the client, in a short time.’
‘Within this area, we have been able to work with Alberto Delgado and Alberto Ventura, a young, fresh team with adequate knowledge of the sector. High aptitude of service towards the client and willing to plant innovative solutions in front of dynamic scenarios.’
Gas Natural Fenosa Peru
Petróleos del Perú (Petroperú)
BPZ Exploración y Producción
Gas Natural de Lima y Callao (Cálidda)
TWMA – Total Waste Management Alliance
- Advising Gas Natural Fenosa on the $60m concession for the expansion of natural gas services nationwide, which it was awarded following a public bidding process.
- Representing Petróleos del Perú (Petroperú) on the development and financing of the Talara crude oil refinery modernisation and expansion project. Total value: $4.7bn.
- Advising Transportadora de Gas del Perú on various regulatory, corporate and environmental matters.
Muñiz, Olaya, Meléndez, Castro, Ono & Herrera Abogados fields a strong multidisciplinary team alongside specialist regulatory and sector knowledge delivered to some key exploration and production industry players, such as BPZ Energy, China National Petroleum Corp (CNPC), Energigas and Occidental Petroleum Corporation. Daniel Palomino now heads the practice following the 2019 departure of the experienced Ricardo Silva to pursue other projects. Palomino is supported at partner level by Fernando Babarczy, who specialises in land tenure and negotiation with rural and native communities. The team has been particularly in demand this year for administrative proceedings and appeals against decisions by regulator OSINERGMIN and is currently handling over 13 such cases for Energigas.
GTM Chemicals (LatAm) / Corporación GTM del Perú
China National Petroleum Corp (CNPC)
Peruana de Combustibles – PECSA
Tecnológica de Alimentos (TASA)
BPZ Energy / BPZ Exploración & Producción
Occidental Petroleum – OXY / Occidental Peruana
Valero Energy / Valero Perú
- Defending Energigas in over 13 administrative procedures before the Peruvian Energy Investment Supervision Agency (OSINERGMIN) regarding claims concerning its natural gas public service.
- Continuing to represent China National Petroleum Corp (CNPC) in an ICC arbitration against Petrobras, due to its failure to obtain land easements over Block X and ramifications of the same.
- Acting for BPZ Energy / BPZ Exploración & Producción on the regulatory and contractual aspects of its Block Z-1 and Block XIX operations.
García Sayán Abogados’ Alberto Varillas is an oil and gas specialist with a good deal of experience in the upstream and downstream industries, acting for domestic and international players. He heads a small but capable team on a broad spectrum of matters, from regulatory issues and administrative proceedings to corporate transactions in the sector. The firm recently advised a Canadian energy company on its acquisition of a domestic oil and gas company with the highest production of crude oil in Peru. Highly rated senior associate Nancy Ogata moved to Rubio Leguía Normand in March 2019.
Graña y Montero Petrolera
Blue Pacific Oils
ChemTrade (Sigdo Coopers)
- Successfully represented Graña y Montero Petrolera in an administrative appeal against sanctions and fines imposed by OSINERGMIN relating to its minimum reserves of liquid petroleum gas.
- Advised a Canadian energy company on its acquisition of a domestic oil and gas company, with the largest production of crude oil in Peru.
Elite power firm Santiváñez Abogados also has expertise in the hydrocarbons field, attracting clients such as Gaz Et L'Energie, Shell and Contugas. In a notable mandate, it is advising Proinversión regarding the $200m concession to distribute natural gas by a pipeline network in central-southern Peru. While the practice is led by highly regarded partners Roberto Santivañez and Paul Sumar, best known for their electricity expertise, and energy regulatory expert Fidel Rocha, it is associate Luigi Rossini who is specialised on hydrocarbon matters from production through to commercialisation; he formerly worked in-house at Contugas and is principal adviser on the Proinversión matter, above.
‘Recommended for their commitment to provide viable answers and/or solutions to the scenarios proposed by the client in a very short period of time. I consider that it is among the best firms in this sector.’
‘Roberto Santivañez and Luigi Rossini are excellent professionals with extensive experience in the sector. They offer several alternative solutions to dynamic assumptions that depend on complex factors, allowing the client to adopt agreements with greater confidence.’
Agencia de Promoción de la Inversión Privada – PROINVERSIÓN
Gaz Et L’Energie
Unión Andina de Cementos
Productos Tissue del Perú (Softys Peru)
Inmuebles Panamericana (Megaplaza)
Inmuebles Panamericana (Megaplaza)
Cerámica San Lorenzo
- Ongoing advice to Proinversión regarding the $200m concession award process to distribute natural gas by a pipeline network in the regions of Apurímac, Ayacucho, Cusco, Huancavelica, Junín, Puno and Ucayali in the central southern region of Peru.
- Acting for Olympic Perú on its gas supply agreement with Cementos Pacasmayo.