Environment in Pakistan
Vellani & Vellani
Vellani & Vellani merged with Amhurst Brown in 2018. The firm specialises in all aspects of environmental law and advises numerous multinational and local companies on the full spectrum of environmental issues. The practice is adept at preparing registers for companies so that they comply with relevant health, safety and environmental laws. It routinely advises international exploration and production operators on such issues and has advised many clients on the procedures for filing environmental impact assessments with the environmental protection agencies. The group has also represented several individuals and companies in litigation against property owners. Karachi-based Abdur Rahman and Islamabad-based Javaid Akhtar are the key contacts.
Haidermota & Co Advocates
Haidermota & Co Advocates has a strong environmental law practice that is fully integrated into its M&A, projects, infrastructure and energy departments. It has an excellent track record of advising companies that are investing in or developing projects, primarily in the energy, manufacturing, transportation and chemical sectors, but also in other areas such as agriculture and telecoms. It routinely advises on compliance issues in the context of environmental impact assessments and other diverse areas such as agricultural land use regulations for project development and protected forest regulations. Other core strengths include advising clients on contractual risks and environmental liabilities as well as on hazardous waste management obligations. The practice is also skilled at negotiating contractual indemnities for environmental liabilities. Khozem Haidermota and Umar Shareef are the names to note.
Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company Limited
Shanghai Electric Faysal Bank Limited
China Power Hub Generation Company Limited
Bank Al-Falah Limited
MCB Bank Limited
Act 2 Wind Power Limited
Metro Wind Power Limited
Gul Ahmed Electric Limited
Artistic Wind Power Private Limited
Local Government Department, Government of Sindh
- Advising a major corporate client on the development and implementation of an integrated liquefied natural gas (LNG) import and re-gasification project.
- Advising a coal mining company on the expansion of an open-pit coal mine in order to increase the capacity at the mine.
- Engaged by a number of lenders to advise on various aspects of a 660MW coal-based power project.
- Advising some of the lenders on various aspects of a 330MW coal-based power project.
- Advising a foreign company on the development of three solar power projects in the provinces of Punjab and Balochistan.
Hassan & Hassan (Advocates)
RIAA BARKER GILLETTE
RIAA BARKER GILLETTE is recommended for its work on the full array of environmental law issues. The practice has a particular focus on advising on the environmental permits needed for coal mining projects.