Environment in Pakistan
Haidermota & Co Advocates has a strong environmental practice that frequently advises companies on their investments and on the development of projects in the energy, manufacturing, transportation and telecoms sector. It is also experienced in other sectors including chemicals and agriculture. As a result the group is lauded for its work on issues as diverse as regulatory compliance (such as impact assessments) and hazardous waste management obligations. Other strengths include advising on protected forest regulations and on a whole host of contentious matters surrounding environmental liabilities. Khozem Haidermota and Umar Shereef are prominent figures in the market.
The Hub Power Company Limited (HUBCO)
Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company Limited
Faysal Bank Limited
China Power Hub Generation Company Limited
Bank Al-Falah Limited
MCB Bank Limited
Act 2 Wind Power Limited
Metro Wind Power Limited
Gul Ahmed Electric Limited
Artistic Wind Power Private Limited
Local Government Department, Government of Sindh
Liberty Wind Power 1 (Private) Limited
Liberty Wind Power 2 (Private) Limited
NASDA Green Energy (Private) Limited
Pak Arab Refinery Limited (PARCO)
- Advising Mitsubishi Corporation through locally incorporated special purpose entities on the development and implementation of an integrated LNG import and re-gasification project at Port Qasim, Karachi.
- Advising The Hub Power Company Limited on a project that aims to bring water treatment technology to residents of a certain area in Pakistan.
- Acting as project & sponsors’ counsel for seven new wind power projects that are being developed in Sindh, Pakistan.
Vellani & Vellani
Under the leadership of Karachi-based Mohammad Abdur Rahman and Islamabad–based Javaid Akhtar the group at Vellani & Vellani is adept at advising multinational and local companies on various environmental matters. The nimble team assists clients with applications and renewal applications with the Environmental Protection Agency and has represented clients in filing environmental impact assessments before the Environment Protection Agencies. In addition its litigation department is representing several individuals and companies in litigation against property owners who are involved in the construction of illegal structures that could adversely affect the environment. The practice is skilled too at preparing registers for companies so that they comply with relevant health, safety and environmental laws.
Raja Mohammed Akram Co.
The lawyers at Raja Mohammed Akram Co. are well versed in all aspects of environmental laws and policies and are well-equipped to handle large renewable energy power projects in Pakistan. The team has also been involved in several high-profile actions on environmental matters mostly relating to public interest matters. Aneesa Agha and Abuzar Salman Khan Niazi have been actively involved with several environmental and climate change-related cases at the Lahore High Court. In addition, Agha also serves as the Co-Chairperson on the Lahore High Court Bar Association Environment Protection and Climate Change Committee (2019-2020).
Renewable energy developers
Extract 4 Life
- Acting in a public interest action that has been filed by a group of female lawyers led by Aneesa Agha – the petition is challenging the inaction on the part of the State of Pakistan in terms of commitments under the UNFCCC Paris Agreement on Climate Change 2015.
- Advised on the regulatory framework for the development of a portfolio of renewable energy projects (amounting to 100 MW) for the generation, delivery and sale to bulk power consumers in order to reduce the carbon footprint of the generation facilities of its client.
- Advising on a public interest petition that has filed in the Lahore High Court challenging the legality of Section 3 of the Punjab Prohibition on the Manufacture, Use, Sale and Import of Polythene Bags Ordinance 2002.