Clinical negligence: claimant in North
Armstrong Foulkes LLP
Boutique clinical negligence firm Armstrong Foulkes LLP focuses solely on the claimant side. The practice specialises in high-value litigation, as well as handling extensive post-issue litigation. Hilton Armstrong leads the team and has extensive experience in high-value, complex medical negligence cases. His team includes the ‘knowledgeable, meticulous and determined’ Joanne Davies, who is ‘very good at what she does', particularly post-issue cases in a High Court setting. Also notable are Ashleigh Holt and associate Kathryn Watson, who have expertise in a range of complex medical negligence cases.
‘The firm provides a level of expertise and is the standout clinical negligence firm in its geographical area’
‘Armstrong Foulkes is a small specialist, boutique firm focusing on clinical negligence work for claimants and does it extremely well’
‘Victims of medical accidents in the north east are lucky to have them’
‘Armstrong Foulkes really is specialist. Since it does nothing but claimant clin neg work, its members really know about how to conduct it’
‘There are some outstanding solicitors’
‘Hilton Armstrong is highly experienced and knowledgeable. He fights his client’s corner ferociously’
‘Joanne Davies is a tenacious lawyer and meticulous litigator who gets excellent results’
‘Ashleigh Holt is highly efficient and full of forensic insight. The way she conducts her cases is a model of how complex clin neg cases should be run’
‘Kathryn Watson is gaining experience with every case and exhibits all the requisite instincts to become a highly effective trial lawyer’
- Represented LA in a claim for compensation arising out of pulmonary emboli she developed.
- Represented widower of MB in a clinical negligence claim for the delay in diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer.
- Represented family of deceased man in a clinical negligence claim arising out of his death following a CT scan which had been misinterpreted.
- Representing widower in clinical negligence claim arising out of the death of his wife following the failure of the hospital to perform an ECG or correctly interpret a chest x-ray.
- Represented SJP in a clinical negligence claim for the above knee amputation he underwent as a result of an MRSA infection.
Hay & Kilner
Hay & Kilner exclusively handles claimant work and has particular expertise in maximum severity claims, including cerebral palsy, spinal surgery, brain injury, meningitis and amputation cases. Practice head Clare Thompson specialises in birth injury claims, involving children who have cerebral palsy as a result of delays in delivery or inadequate neonatal care, and is one of two AVMA panel members in the team. David Bradshaw is the other and along with his ‘well-honed litigation skills’ is an expert in acquired brain injury and complex spinal injury claims. Also notable are the ‘very tenacious’ Helen Morland and solicitor Sophie Moss, who has experience in dealing with a range of clinical negligence cases.
‘Hay & Kilner has a great team of very capable clinical negligence lawyers who have a friendly and compassionate relationship with their clients’
‘One of the most experienced and professional clinical negligence firms in the north east’
‘Clients think the world of them’
‘David Bradshaw is a hugely experienced clinical negligence lawyer who is noted for his willingness to travel the length and breadth of the country to see his clients’
‘David Bradshaw is a very senior practitioner who is prepared to go the extra mile for his clients. His judgment and feel for a claim is legendary’
‘Clare Thompson is a real fighter for her clients and does not give up’
‘Helen Morland has an ability to handle high-value cases’
‘Sophie Moss has the makings of a first-rate clinical negligence specialist. She has an eye for detail as well as an appreciation of the bigger picture’
- Claim arising out of a delay in diagnosing and treating cauda equina.
- Cerebral palsy claim arising out of breaches of duty by the midwifery team.
- Claim for cervical cancer arising from the misreporting of cervical smears.
- Delay in diagnosing and treating Behcet’s Syndrome.
- Amputation required as a result of substandard care
Irwin Mitchell specialises in high-value birth injury cases and cerebral palsy claims, as well as doing significant work with charities. Angela Kirtley leads the team and has substantial experience in dealing with complex clinical and professional negligence cases. The team can call on the expertise of senior associate Lindsey Henderson, who was formerly a senior MRI radiographer and is a specialist in birth injury claims.
Other key lawyers:
‘Angela Kirtley has a first-rate reputation as an extremely experienced clinical negligence lawyer dealing with the most serious and complex cases’
‘Angela Kirtley handles cases with reassuring competence given her extensive experience and knowledge of this work’
‘Lindsey Henderson has a particular speciality in difficult cauda equina and head injury cases and is extremely adept at marshalling cases to an excellent outcome’
Known for high-value and complex cases, Burnetts particularly specialises in neonatal issues. Angela Curran leads the team and is an expert in the area of birth trauma cases, working primarily with children with cerebral palsy. She also ‘understands medicine’ and ‘builds wonderful relationships with clients’. Her team was strengthened by the arrival of associate Michelle Armstrong from Irwin Mitchell in 2018, who has ‘a medical background which manifests itself in a first-rate understanding of clinical issues’.
Other key lawyers:
‘Burnetts are very good, caring and very efficient. Nothing is any trouble to them’
‘A solid and reputable local firm. The solicitors really care about their clients’
‘The solicitors are highly communicative and are regularly in touch with counsel in relation to developments in their cases’
‘Very dedicated client care, the firm always goes the extra mile for clients.’
‘Angela Curran is wonderfully warm, intelligent, sensible and efficient’
‘Lynne Hall is brilliant at her job. She is very efficient, very knowledgeable and very hard working’
‘Lynne Hall is caring, persistent, thorough and strongly motivated to get good results for her clients’
‘Jayne McCluskey is a responsible solicitor who really goes the extra mile to ensure that her clients’ case is put forward as thoroughly as possible’
‘Michelle Armstrong is a formidably intelligent solicitor. She leaves no stone unturned to get the best result for her clients’
‘The whole clinical negligence team is superb’
- Represented a claimant with a birth injury, settling his claim for damages at £24.2m.
- Investigating two multimillion-pound claims against the Newcastle Upon Tyne NHS Foundation Trust on behalf of premature twins who now suffer from serious disabilities.
- Collating evidence in support of a birth trauma claim against Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust following a complicated breech delivery.
BHP Law acts across a range of clinical negligence matters, including amputations, mis-diagnosis, laser eye treatment, failed sterilisation and birth defect cases. Ruth Markham leads the team and specialises in personal injury, dental and clinical negligence, as well as being experienced in CICA claims.
- Representing a client who was subject to substandard dental treatment.
- Acting for a claimant who suffered from substandard dental treatment.
- Acting for a claimant who received substandard treatment from the NHS trust.
- Acting for a claimant who was given substandard treatment from the NHS trust.
Browell Smith & Co Solicitors Ltd is best known for its medical negligence work for claimants, notably in complex injury. Practice head Dawn Bagley is an experienced litigator who specialises in complex cases involving serious injury.
- Clinical negligence claim in which it was alleged that the claimant was subjected to an unnecessary hysterectomy procedure. Claimant was 28 years of age at the time of the procedure. The case initially defended but settled by negotiation. Payment received in damages of £70,000.
Thompsons Solicitors LLP
The claimant-only practice at Thompsons Solicitors LLP acts for clients across the North East and Yorkshire on a range of clinical negligence matters. Tony Hood leads the national team that includes senior solicitor Clair Wilson, who is an experienced litigator and leads the firm in the North East. She specialises in complex clinical negligence cases, particularly those involving long-term consequences for the client, including cerebral palsy, brain injury, amputation, cauda equina and delayed cancer diagnoses.
Other key lawyers:
‘Maya Patel is very able and competent, especially with complex claims.’
‘Rosalyn Steeple has a great manner with clients.’
‘Linda Millband is extremely able, completely unflappable.’
- Negligent delay in treatment led to an above-knee amputation.