Crime: fraud in North
David Gray Solicitors LLP has particular expertise in large-scale fraud and benefit fraud, advising private individuals and business entities. Brian Hegarty, who leads the team, is an experienced higher court advocate, while solicitor Janice Hall, who focuses on motoring offences and cases of domestic violence and sexual offences, is also notable in this area.
Other key lawyers:
Hay & Kilner
Hay & Kilner’s practice focuses on white-collar and corporate fraud, specialising in complex fraud and proceeds of crime cases. Mark Harrison leads the team and is particularly experienced in high-value fraud and POCA matters. The team has recently been boosted by solicitor advocate Jonathan Cousins, who joined from David Gray Solicitors LLP in 2018; assistant solicitor Mark Styles, who arrived from Kyles Legal Practice in 2019; and Matthew Purves, who was promoted to associate in 2018.
New Park Court Chambers
- The defendant was charged with VAT fraud in excess of £150,000 following the alleged misrepresentation of his self-employed income as a scrap metal dealer. After examination and scrutiny, the defendant was ultimately found culpable for less than one third of the amount initially claimed and spared immediate custody, as well as avoiding a proceeds of crime investigation.
- The defendant and his business partner were convicted of large scale fraud and the police subsequently made an application for proceeds of crime seizure of his business assets which were substantially in excess of £1m. The defendant is currently contesting the proceeds of crime application and has made, as a result of the team’s guidance, has made significant inroads into the amount which the police claim they are entitled to.
- The defendant was charged as part of a conspiracy to commit fraud in a high value and well organised series of offences involving cloned credit cards and stolen electronic equipment.
- The defendant was accused, as part of his business as an accountant, of charging VAT which was then kept by him and not declared. Upon service of a very detailed defence statement during the Crown Court proceedings, the prosecution reviewed their position and discontinued the case, exonerating him of any wrongdoing.
Kenneth M Barrow & Co
Kenneth M Barrow & Co, a Very High Cost Case accredited firm, specialises in defending serious, high value and complex fraud cases. Practice head Ravi Khosla is notably experienced in complex fraud and leads a team that also includes Sunny Thandi, who was promoted to director in 2018.
Other key lawyers:
- Represented client in a large scale evasion of duty relating to cigarettes and alcohol at Wood Green Crown Court.
- We represent clients in relation to allegations of fraudulent evasion of income tax, VAT, corporation tax and related money laundering offences at Newcastle Crown Court.
- Clientis under investigation for fraud and money laundering offences in relation to investment schemes ran by himself.
- Represent client in POCA proceedings in relation to fraud, money laundering and attempting to pay a money transfer in the sum of £1 million by deception.
- We have been privately instructed by client in relation to restraint proceedings.